• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Smash 5 Fan-Made Rosters (Ideal or Prediction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Decided to give a go at a semi-predictive roster:

EDIT: Filled in the previous blank spots. Captain Toad, Rex and Wolf.
1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world. 16 additions in total, 3 being returning vets.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The three blank spaces are characters still undecided: A potential Mario newcomer, potentially Rex from Xenoblade 2 and some 3rd character.
I was going to say this roster is amazing because it has Snake, Chrous Kids, Decidueye and K. Rool.
Then I noticed the lack of Wolf. It's solid otherwise.

1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world. 16 additions in total, 2 being returning vets.
Well put.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman

The three blank spaces are characters still undecided: A potential Mario newcomer, potentially Rex from Xenoblade 2 and some 3rd character. 1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world. 16 additions in total, 2 being returning vets.
I suggest Toad as a Mario newcomer. He's doable because there are main Toads, so all you need to do is choose one. I chose Red Toad for my roster.

Chibi Robo is a flop of a character from a drowning franchise (translation: All of Chibi Robo's games are flops and his franchise is near dead, like a zombie.).

Dillon isn't all that big of a character and his games are just okay.

Decidueye's relevance won't last long.

The rest of the roster is pretty good.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

The three blank spaces are characters still undecided: A potential Mario newcomer, potentially Rex from Xenoblade 2 and some 3rd character. 1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world. 16 additions in total, 2 being returning vets.
Highly doubt Chibi's going to be in after how his latest game flopped. IIRC it was said that if that game didn't perform well the series was over so it looks like CR is going to be MIA for a decade or two.

D

Deleted member

Dark Pit gets so much unwarranted hate for merely existing, it's almost hilarious.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's probably because, unlike Dr. Mario, Lucina, or even Pichu, there are almost no differences to justify having him as a separate character. While I could be wrong on this (I don't really know much about competitive Smash), Lucina seems like a beginner-friendly version of Marth since she doesn't have tippers to worry about, while Dr. Mario brings back Mario's Melee moveset as an option for people who don't know how to use the FLUDD. (I certainly have no idea how you're supposed to use it in Smash)

All that Dark Pit has in terms of differences are his B-over launching people at a different angle, his arrows being worse, a single basic attack has much lower knockback, and a different final smash (which, if you play without items on, isn't even a factor). Those are literally the only differences between Dark Pit and Pit, and most (if not all) of them seem to make Dark Pit worse.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

I like the layout style. A LOT +++++++++++++++++
Legit the greatest idea. Ur like Google for Rosters, quick and easy.

++++++ great choices
+DILLON.
= chibi robo is meh but so I would have though DHD would be (and I sttill think one of worst newcomers yet still surprisingly good addition so its neutral)
- No Dark Pit and/or KI newcomer.
- No Wolf
- - - - No 3rd party Newcomer *hint* Rayman * hint*

I know XC2 is a thing but I stil think Elma is the best choice but yh. Or better yet Elma and Rex or whoever idc at this point who it is from that game.

The best roster I have seen in months and makes me want to update mine. :) 9.5 /10.

Dark Pit gets so much unwarranted hate for merely existing, it's almost hilarious.
I know right, his persnaility is the most different from all the clones and whats wrong with having another angel. Him an alt would be wrong, its why Alph feels off sometimes (tho he wouldn't to me probs if the other 3 were still alts)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's probably because, unlike Dr. Mario, Lucina, or even Pichu, there are almost no differences to justify having him as a separate character. While I could be wrong on this (I don't really know much about competitive Smash), Lucina seems like a beginner-friendly version of Marth since she doesn't have tippers to worry about, while Dr. Mario brings back Mario's Melee moveset as an option for people who don't know how to use the FLUDD. (I certainly have no idea how you're supposed to use it in Smash)

All that Dark Pit has in terms of differences are his B-over launching people at a different angle, his arrows being worse, a single basic attack has much lower knockback, and a different final smash (which, if you play without items on, isn't even a factor). Those are literally the only differences between Dark Pit and Pit, and most (if not all) of them seem to make Dark Pit worse.
Like I said, merely existing.
Yes, he's barely different from Pit, but he didn't "take anyone's spot", he barely took any development time at all that could've even possibly have prevented anything else, and was basically the biggest example of a "freebie" as you can get with a character.
One that was completely predictable and reasonably shouldn't have blindsided anyone unlike the other two (Doc and Lucina).

Him being removed from rosters out of petty spite is honestly rather pathetic. Especially when, BECAUSE of how little effort it takes to include him (he's already like 93% done once Pit's finished) and the Kid Icarus franchise doesn't have to worry about possible future newcomers that will cause "oversaturation" for it like Mario and Fire Emblem. he's arguably the SAFEST of the clones.

D

Deleted member

There's nothing wrong with wanting to cut a character you dislike.

Sure, he takes little effort to make, but why would I want a character that's an almost complete carbon copy of another character?

And before you say "He can be decloned!", that takes actual development time, which completely destroys the one reason he ever got in to begin with and the one thing he's got going for him.

I cut him because I felt that he'd be missed the least out of any of the characters we have in Sm4sh, because moveset-wise, people who play as him can literally just play Pit and it will be the same thing. I feel like he fits well with Pichu and Young Link as one of those veterans that few people miss and want back. But then again, Dark Pit has an established personality unlike the latter 2, so it may not be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
But I don't think a character should just be forgotten. Dark Pit could always be changed.

I personally don't think any clone (aside from Young Link because Toon Link is pretty much the same thing) should just be kicked out. Dark Pit can always be differentiated, he should just get cut because he is a clone of another character. Luigi, and Falco became their own characters outright, why can't the development team to the same for Dark Pit?

D

Deleted member

Dark Pit could always be changed.
Did you read the whole post?
he takes little effort to make
And before you say "He can be decloned!", that takes actual development time, which completely destroys the one reason he ever got in to begin with and the one thing he's got going for him.
This speaks for itself.
And I mentioned before, the main reason I removed Dark Pit is because I personally don't like him, though I'm not above keeping him on my roster (I recently made a new roster that keeps Dark Pit).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world.
Here here!
Hear hear?
Hear here.

Dark Pit gets so much warranted hate for merely existing, it's almost hilarious.
ftf everyone

2+ yr old reposty to the question of why Dark Pit is disliked:
1. He's a supporting character in a minor series who had made only a single appearance
2. The series already had an adequate amount of representation
3. The series already received a newcomer
4. The series already received a disproportionate amount of content compared to others
5. He's literally a glorified palette swap
6. Few wanted him
7. Other potential alt-swap characters really did have more in their favour, and less against them
8. Smells of developer bias.
9. The difference between the Pits are minuscule
10. People just don't like clones

Personally I think he exemplifies superfluousness.

This was a hard post to hunt down considering I don't actually say "Dark Pit" in it. >_<

But seriously, while people can like whoever they want, if I had to narrow down to the roster to one "weak link" it would hands-down be Dark Pit.
Don't make Link puns.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Does it matter if the series already had a newcomer? Since when were certain series limited in what characters they have as fighters?
In terms of why people might dislike a specific character? Yes. When in reference to more minor series, getting multiple newcomers garners malcontent.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Dark Pit is pretty cool. Appriciate the guy a lot since playing Uprising. He's got a lot of potential to have his own moves, but I don't even think that's needed.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Didn't mean to spark a debate about some loserDark Pit. I just have absolute no care for him, he was never a welcome character in Uprising and even more so in Smash. Aaaand that's all there is to it, I just hate his sort of character. Anywho, updated my roster a little just to fill in the blank spots.

EDIT: Eyyy, post # of the beast

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ftf everyone

2+ yr old reposty to the question of why Dark Pit is disliked:
1. He's a supporting character in a minor series who had made only a single appearance
2. The series already had an adequate amount of representation
3. The series already received a newcomer
4. The series already received a disproportionate amount of content compared to others
5. He's literally a glorified palette swap
6. Few wanted him
7. Other potential alt-swap characters really did have more in their favour, and less against them
8. Smells of developer bias.
9. The difference between the Pits are minuscule
10. People just don't like clones

Personally I think he exemplifies superfluousness.

This was a hard post to hunt down considering I don't actually say "Dark Pit" in it. >_<

But seriously, while people can like whoever they want, if I had to narrow down to the roster to one "weak link" it would hands-down be Dark Pit.
Don't make Link puns.
Don't mean to sound rude, but I honestly couldn't care less the details behind people's hate boners for Dark Pit. I am well aware of them, and it changes nothing about the way I see it. I hate Cloud with a (semi) burning passion, but that's not enough for me to axe him from the roster. I use logic and reasoning for my roster choices, and scrapping one out of the entire pre-existing roster solely because I don't like them goes against that.

Do I agree that Dark Pit's one of the "weakest links" in the roster? Yes.
However, as a practically last-minute freebie, his addition literally didn't have any negative consequences other than people getting triggered just to see his face on the CSS. And I can't empathize with them on that. Especially since I saw his inclusion as a late addition clone coming even before Smash 4 was officially announced.

The only thing I can actually "hate" is that most of his attack properties are the exact same as Pit's despite the Silver Bow and the Palutena Bow having differing melee strengths in Uprising, the fact he uses the same goddamn Orbitars instead of changing them up like the Electroshock Arm, and not using the Dark Pit Staff for more than just a Zelda Final Smash copy when the weapon is used prominently in how he's portrayed in Smash except in his own moveset. Basically, I hate how he isn't how he SHOULD be as a clone. But seeing as he was likely the last one to be added as a clone, I am understanding of why he is the way he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Didn't mean to spark a debate about some loserDark Pit. I just have absolute no care for him, he was never a welcome character in Uprising and even more so in Smash. Aaaand that's all there is to it, I just hate his sort of character. Anywho, updated my roster a little just to fill in the blank spots.
Since your roster now has Wolf, I have no issues with it.
One of the best rosters I've seen ITT.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ultimately it remains subjective, people are freely entitled to come to their own conclusions, but a larger aggregate do dislike Dark Pit than your standard character, even your standard clone character. I mean I outlined ten aspects of character inclusion people tend to hold some degree of disdain for, and considering that many apply to a single character, my take is that the enmity might be more warranted for Dark Pit than per usual. That in mind, how long does the list have to be to make the dislike "warranted"? Ofc not everyone needs feel the same way, but imo it makes sense why some aren't fond of the inclusion. Not that it cripples the roster, I agree, I just don't believe he was a good inclusion, even, granted, as a "freebie". Then again just because something might be free doesn't mean people need inherently embrace or extol it. Often there's a reason why free things are free.

That said, I'm not defending cutting characters solely due to spite, but obviously there's a difference between that and cutting a disliked character for reasoning that goes past personal intent. In this thread... you'll get some of both, that's very true... but it's also kind of the point of the thread. In the real world where cuts do happen and we don't get some idealized roster whereby everyone sticks around and gets luigified, I believe there are valid reasons to cut Dark Pit, past and apart from my personal feelings on the character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Give me 5 Dark Pits before another Mii. I can enjoy playing as Dark Pit at least.

D

Deleted member

>non-video game characters in Smash
I suddenly don't feel so well bye

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Being more open minded here, I personally won't mind seeing non-video game characters in Smash. I wouldn't just ignore it and automatically see it as a kind of insult to person who proposed it.

If we had a character like that, it would most likely be someone like Captain N, or something similar. I don't think just ignoring it and referring to the people that propose said ideas like they are weird.

Oddball

Smash Lord
You'll excuse me, but I'm not a big fan of the roster maker so I didn't use it.

Anyway, here's mine. I fully expect everybody to hate it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm generally fine with it (though I feel like having Meowth AND Team Rocket is a bit redundant), and I definitely appreciate the inclusions of Pious Augustus, Mike Jones, Snake, and Sukapon, but I have some questions.

Why do you have both Andy and Sami in there? Why did you include Eggplant Wizard? (not overly familiar with Kid Icarus, but it seems similar to including a Hammer Brother as a playable character)

Also, there's some characters that I'm not familiar with - would you be able to explain who they are or why you want them in Smash?

-Garam
-Ouendan
-Tempo
-Nikki
-Iris
-Ayumi

Other than that, I've got no issues; I don't know much about some characters, like Prince Fluff, Susie, or Raimi, but from what I know of their games of origin, they could make for interesting playable characters.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I mean it has Henry Fleming so I legally can't hate it. :p

Casting all arguments about likelihood aside, my one major complaint is the overwhelming amount of Generation I Pokémon, including the removal of Lucario. I'd have kept him and/or added an Alola Pokémon at least.

But still it has Henry Fleming so I like it.

I'm generally fine with it (though I feel like having Meowth AND Team Rocket is a bit redundant), and I definitely appreciate the inclusions of Pious Augustus, Mike Jones, Snake, and Sukapon, but I have some questions.

Why do you have both Andy and Sami in there? Why did you include Eggplant Wizard? (not overly familiar with Kid Icarus, but it seems similar to including a Hammer Brother as a playable character)

Also, there's some characters that I'm not familiar with - would you be able to explain who they are or why you want them in Smash?

-Garam
-Ouendan
-Tempo
-Nikki
-Iris
-Ayumi

Other than that, I've got no issues; I don't know much about some characters, like Prince Fluff, Susie, or Raimi, but from what I know of their games of origin, they could make for interesting playable characters.
Ouendan was localized as Elite Beat Agents internationally, if that helps. Different game but also the same game.

Tempo is from HarmoKnight, a rhythm game by Game Freak. Nikki is the mascot of Swapnote and gets pushed quite a bit by Nintendo, even after Swapnote got canned. Iris Archwell is a detective from one of the 3DS downloadable Mii games, though I forget which one. Ayumi is from Famicom Detective Club.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

++++: Meowth, King K. Rool, King Hippo (thank you!!! i thought i was the only one!!!)

+++: Simon, Ridley, Impa, Hayabusa, Mike J, Toad

++: Andy, Inkling, Springman, Amazon, Ray, Ashley, Mach Rider

+: Ayumi, Sukapon, Flint, Eggplant Wizard

=: Garam, Quendan, Tempo, Nikki, Iris, Nicky, Susie, Raimi (everything here i never heard of)

-: Takamaru, Urban Champion, Deathborn, Henry, Captain N, Augustus, Pauline

--: Tharja, Krystal, Andross, Sami, Chibi Robo, Shovel Knight

---: Team Rocket, Midna, Ganon

----: Shantae, Daisy

If you want an explanation for any of these i'm happy to give them.

Wonderful retro lineup, btw. Most people go with just Takamaru and ignore the heaps upon heaps of potential.

Question: Why Augustus before Alexandra?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

1 Cut in the form of :4darkpit: because he is a blight upon this world. 16 additions in total, 3 being returning vets.
One of the nicest realistic rosters I've seen. Props for including Impa as well. Just think some of the new franchise entries you listed aren't TOO realistic, as Dillon, Chibi Robo and Chorus Kids. ARMS Fighter / Spring Man and Inkling are quite obvious however.

Also like how you kept the Fire Emblem roster as it is. Hopefully there aren't cuts next time indeed.

Minor change I'd make is choose another newcomer Pokemon, add Isaac (who isn't all too realistic), add Lyn then cut all new entry fighters but Inkling and ARMS dude / whoever (I personally like Twinella a lot). Oh and I would add Dixie. For a realistic roster I'd cut Ridley too and hopefully replace with Sylux if the timeframe would let me.

Anyway, solid 9 /10 you get.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

This is a nice roster. I think Ridley would be enough for Metroid representation, though I'd probably add Dark Samus if Metroid got a second newcomer, not Sylux. I like that K.Rool, Wolf and Bandana Dee are on here too. Would definitely play a Smash game with this roster.

Luminario

Smash Lord

Ooh quite a few of my faves on here. I never see anyone add Style Savvy to their rosters in this thread.
Not sure about adding both Meowth and Team Rocket as separate characters though, since they're usually associated with each other.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

If this is meant to be semi-realistic, then Team Rocket is unrealistic. The duo in question originated in the anime, so is unlikely to be playable. I doubt we'd get some of these otherwise; Lucario absolutely will not be removed(replace Team Rocket with it and it's a bit more realistic). Dr. Mario would probably be closer to the regular Mario series since there's no clone corner. I doubt we'd get two Kirby newcomers, but Bandanna Waddle Dee is the most realistic one possible at this time. Not that we couldn't be in for a surprise. For similar reasons to Team Rocket, Captain N probably won't happen. Not just because he didn't originate in a video game, but it is not a popular series at all. Sheik won't be cut, that's for sure. Especially if they use the HW designs(which is also unrealistic, but I'm guessing it's just for a consistent update on their designs, as Ganondorf and Sheik haven't appeared in any form besides TP(beta or otherwise). That's a lot of 3rd parties, but they all seem plausible to me. Might be one Indie, and imo, that'd more likely be Shovel Knight. Despite less games, he's the most promoted Indie now. Ignoring Steve? as an option for many reasons(not technically an Indie anymore, and is from Microsoft), the only other likely option beyond Shovel Knight. As for the Mother reps, I doubt we'll get 2 Mother 3 reps. Earthbound is way more known across the world and would get 2 first. Either that or Earthbound Zero, perhaps. Porky also seems a more realistic option since he's in both games. Flint is neat, though. Eggplant Wizard I don't see happening outside of maybe an AT. I"m guessing some of these options were clearly due to Captain N influence. That said, King Hippo does sound like he might be the most likely second options for a Punch Out!! rep. He's vastly popular, and not just cause of Captain N(although it did help). Finally, no way that Krystal and Andross would get in over Wolf. He's way more likely, as he's vastly more popular and more feasible as an option. Krystal was also removed from the rebooted series. She should be switched out for Wolf if we're trying to be realistic. Lastly, as much as I'd like to see Daisy in, how do we justify a unique moveset that is hers and hers alone? That's why I doubt she'd get in at this time. Not without a new starring role that puts her back on the map. Somebody else explained the other ones, but I see no issues otherwise.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm generally fine with it (though I feel like having Meowth AND Team Rocket is a bit redundant),
I was kind of iffy on that one myself, but I see Meowth playing like any other pokemon character, while Team Rocket I picture more as an ice Climbers like comical duo.

Why do you have both Andy and Sami in there?
I thought the series could stand to use more than one representative and I like both characters.

Why did you include Eggplant Wizard? (not overly familiar with Kid Icarus, but it seems similar to including a Hammer Brother as a playable character)
Part of it is his Captain N connection, part of it is the fact that he was INFAMOUS for making everbody's life difficult and killing players during the NES days. To me, it feels less like adding a Hammer Bro and more like how the Street Fighter series has decided to add Hugo as playable.

-Garam
-Ouendan
-Tempo
-Nikki
-Iris
-Ayumi
Garam is from the Battleclash series, the first of which was shipped with the SuperScope. While not a huge character in the game itself, he was used as the cover character in both the American and Japanese releases and featured heavily in promotions for the game. As it's a first person game and your main character isn't visible through most of it, I felt he was a good character to represent a classic moment in SNES history.

Ouendan is the Japanese version of Elite Beat Agents. Ideally, if they were in Smash bros you chould choose between Ouenden and Elite Beat characters they same way you could the Koopa kids. Storywise, they're part of an elite that shows up to help people through personal crises through cheering and inspirational song and dance numbers. I think that has a lot of potential for moves.

Tempo is the main character of a Rythm platformed game for the DS. It's incredibly addictive.

Nikki was explained already.

Iris is from the 3DS's Street Pass game, Monster Manor. She's a detective that fights ghosts using various Ghostbuster style laser weapons. She's also incredibly cute.

Ayumi is also a detective, also cute, and unlike anyone else in the game, from a completely realistic series (give or take a ghost.) The idea of a normal school girl with no real fighting abilities fighting the Nintendo characters (with the help of a ghost that's haunting her) is just one I think could be fun.

I mean it has Henry Fleming so I legally can't hate it. :p

Casting all arguments about likelihood aside, my one major complaint is the overwhelming amount of Generation I Pokémon, including the removal of Lucario. I'd have kept him and/or added an Alola Pokémon at least.
Before I put a single character in my roster, I set a limit for characters at 100. There were a few other Pokemon characters that just barley missed the list.

Lucario though, I took that character out because I hate him. He just has one of the worst designs I've seen for a pokemon.

...so where's Isaac?
Hanging out with Kraid, The Double Dragons, Mouser, Alex Kid and a bunch of other characters in the "Close but No Cigar" club.

Question: Why Augustus before Alexandra?
As a horror I feel Augustus represents his source better. He's also much cooler looking and can do anythinbg Alex can do except look good in a tank top.

If this is meant to be semi-realistic,
It is meant to be semi-realistic. Semi. Sprinkled of course with my own biases and preferences.

While I do appreciate much of your thoughts on my roster, I also happen to disagree with many of them. No offense.

(And if you're going to badmouth Captain N, then we can't be friends no more. :p)

Lastly, as much as I'd like to see Daisy in, how do we justify a unique moveset that is hers and hers alone?
Daisy I feel works good as the Mario Sports character. I'd put her in wither her shorts and have her use soccerballs, baseballs, golf, tennis, karts, and even possibly Olympic equipment an d techniques. Give her an alternate Peach color scheme and let Peach keep her Daisy dress and I think we've got enough there to work with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is meant to be semi-realistic. Semi. Sprinkled of course with my own biases and preferences.
I can tell, heh.

While I do appreciate much of your thoughts on my roster, I also happen to disagree with many of them. No offense.
None taken.

(And if you're going to badmouth Captain N, then we can't be friends no more. :p)
I like Captain N, but anyone who didn't originate in a game has a very low chance. R.O.B. technically didn't but saved gaming as a whole, so he's a blatant exception to this factor. I know it's a rule for 3rd parties, but I doubt it doesn't apply towards 1st and 2n parties. It more or less depends the situation. Namely, whether they were made for a game first or not.

Daisy I feel works good as the Mario Sports character. I'd put her in wither her shorts and have her use soccerballs, baseballs, golf, tennis, karts, and even possibly Olympic equipment an d techniques. Give her an alternate Peach color scheme and let Peach keep her Daisy dress and I think we've got enough there to work with.
This is what I mean, though. Any character could do the sports thing. Waluigi, Toad, a variation of Mario or Luigi, etc. What makes this specific to what Daisy has among her own unique abilities? She should have her own unique gimmick that no other character could do, although it could still be a sports-like moveset. I like the costume stuff, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom