• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Okay, I've kept this charade going long enough. Time for me to come clean.

I made the CSS leak images. =P It was my little treat in honor of not being able to do a project like the Kirby Hats for this game. With the help of some friends from deviantART, we put together a master file based on all the content we amassed from the Direct, and then went to town. I posted the original 2 and then my friends posted the rest. I dunno where that Ridley image came from though. o_o

I didn't actually know what the real font was until today, after I posted the For Fun/For Glory image at the WhatTheFont forums at myfonts.com. Had I thought to look for it earlier, I would have used it in the leak, but alas, all I could do was use what I had at my disposal.

It was a fun romp while it lasted, but I couldn't let it last forever.
With all honesty with how many people lie about lying about lying it's impossible to tell anything from the truth. You could be telling the truth, but each time I have flashbacks of Gen V (Pokemon), Halo 3, Gen VI (Pokemon I mean), Smash Bros. Brawl, etc. from confessions like this. It's akin to government conspiracies in a sense. How many people honestly believed before Snowden that the governement was recording our calls, keeping tabs on us through or via internet and similar aspects?

That's why I hate the "I made the leak confessions. " It could be true, or just reverse psychology for someone who wants them to be fake. Since I haven't even really been keeping tabs on the leaks it doesn't really matter to me, but still it's always obnoxious because even if it should be obvious it's fake (if you did indeed make it) people will draw lingering doubts just due to experience from the past.
are you for real right now
kidding

Look at the Italicized and bold letters. It spells Kidding. :p, i'm smurt.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Yeah, I noticed that Kidding as well. Funny, Mr. Ice Climber Yaoi guy. :p

Btw, was there also a rumor about who was invited to the tournament and such?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
As others have pointed out, the focus on the font different isn't convincing enough for me. It's skewed my real:fake ration of believe to be sure, but after following as many games as I have and seeing stronger cases than these fall absolutely flat once the truth was known makes any such argument feel a bit nit-picky.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Okay, I've kept this charade going long enough. Time for me to come clean.

I made the CSS leak images. =P It was my little treat in honor of not being able to do a project like the Kirby Hats for this game. With the help of some friends from deviantART, we put together a master file based on all the content we amassed from the Direct, and then went to town. I posted the original 2 and then my friends posted the rest. I dunno where that Ridley image came from though. o_o

I didn't actually know what the real font was until today, after I posted the For Fun/For Glory image at the WhatTheFont forums at myfonts.com. Had I thought to look for it earlier, I would have used it in the leak, but alas, all I could do was use what I had at my disposal.

It was a fun romp while it lasted, but I couldn't let it last forever.
Yeah, I noticed that Kidding as well. Funny, Mr. Ice Climber Yaoi guy. :p

Btw, was there also a rumor about who was invited to the tournament and such?
Lolwut, Yaoi? =P

And yes there was, but it got buried by the discussion surrounding the CSS leak. I don't know anything about the smash competitive scene, so I guess that's my cue to skedaddle.

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
It's way too early for look indicated jokes. XP If it weren't for Smash induced insomnia I'd already have been asleep hours ago.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Well, I'm going to bed. G'night all. (This is a lie because I will be on my phone for the next 2 hours)

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Lolwut, Yaoi? =P

And yes there was, but it got buried by the discussion surrounding the CSS leak. I don't know anything about the smash competitive scene, so I guess that's my cue to skedaddle.
It's just fun to see the reactions when Yaoi is mentioned~

And, good, so there were at least a leak about that. I thougth I made it up, lol. ^^ Then, anyone here know what happend to that? Got confirmed?

@ GamerGuy09 GamerGuy09
Ah, I love those reactions.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm still going to keep my roster the same for now and take the leak into account with it. A slightly different font doesn't completely convince me its fake and kinda like RosalinaX leak, it just comes across as so realistic, the final product might just be this even if the leak is fake.
There is still also the fact that the images were being taken down which is hard to ignore imo.

Also the roster just fits so well in my sig :p

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I'm still going to keep my roster the same for now and take the leak into account with it. A slightly different font doesn't completely convince me its fake and kinda like RosalinaX leak, it just comes across as so realistic, the final product might just be this even if the leak is fake.
There is still also the fact that the images were being taken down which is hard to ignore imo.

I heard the images were being taken down but didn't know where they were being taken down. any source on that?

imo thats the biggest hint towards credible if its true.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

They could have been taken down by Nintendo, but maybe for the wrong reasons.

If there was a rumor that was gaining traction, and it was false I would want to delete them to.

Shroob

Sup?

Well, if the RosalinaX leak is real, your roster is already incorrect since he said there would be 4 cuts from Brawl.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I heard the images were being taken down but didn't know where they were being taken down. any source on that?

imo thats the biggest hint towards credible if its true.
The original posts were on 4chan, and the original posts were deleted not too long after they were posted. The images remain on all sorts of gaming news sites, though. I dunno if companies ever bother to regulate the content that gets posted on 4chan.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I really liked the look of the lock boxes for the secrets.

I'm not really in either boat. Real, fake, whatever. We'll know in 2 weeks.

In the end, it's irrelevant because, honestly, the roster's probably going to look the same anyway. The background is almost definitely going to be the same or same-ish and the character set-up will probably be really damn close.

So while it may not be real (but maybe is, but probably not, but who knows?), it's probably a pretty spot-on mock-up of how it will actually look, minus a few aesthetic differences with the boxes and maybe the actual character order.

Debunked or not, it's pretty much the set up people have been predicting/expecting anyway.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well, if the RosalinaX leak is real, your roster is already incorrect since he said there would be 4 cuts from Brawl.
Ike was the character I thought would be cut (not want) as the only series besides Metal Gear that I see going to go down reps is Pokemon. prior to Ikes reveal, Thats what my roster went by.

Shroob

Sup?
Ike was the character I thought would be cut (not want) as the only series besides Metal Gear that I see going to go down reps is Pokemon. prior to Ikes reveal, Thats what my roster went by.
But then that means you don't believe in the RosalinaX rumor.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
But then that means you don't believe in the RosalinaX rumor.
Thats the point, I never really believed the leak but 48 characters with 4 cuts seemed likely, But since Ike was revealed, I decided to opt out 48 characters for 50.

I simply changed my roster, This current leak also comes across as very plausible even if it turned out fake. Having characters sorted by genre and those smash locks seem very clever and three rows allows for 50 + Random. It plain and simply makes so much sense.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Question, concerning the invitational leak. The female Peach player, where is she from? The friend who told me about the Facebook post concerning it mentioned a female peach, among other names (which he was very salty about btw). Perhaps the leak came from the same source, the facebook page in question.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
RosalinaX is almost certainly false, but that doesn't mean 48 characters (could change) and 4 cuts couldn't still happen. I think it's foolish to let our guards down and confidently put out there that characters like Lucas or Wolf are 100% safe because "they couldn't! they wouldn't!" cut them. You're right, they wouldn't cut them outright, but it's anybody's guess what impact time constraints will have on the roster size.

Someone catch me up, the CSS has a similar, but not identical font to the For Fun/Glory menus, so it's likely fake?

Last edited:

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Aw, it got killed. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I have a small hope that it might turn out real after all, just so I can call you guys idiots. :p you know, because calling people idiots for no reason is fun...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Question, concerning the invitational leak. The female Peach player, where is she from? The friend who told me about the Facebook post concerning it mentioned a female peach, among other names (which he was very salty about btw). Perhaps the leak came from the same source, the facebook page in question.
The only female Peach player I can think of at the top of my head is White Peach.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
RosalinaX is almost certainly false, but that doesn't mean 48 characters (could change) and 4 cuts couldn't still happen. I think it's foolish to let our guards down and confidently put out there that characters like Lucas or Wolf are 100% safe because "they couldn't! they wouldn't!" cut them. You're right, they wouldn't cut them outright, but it's anybody's guess what impact time constraints will have on the roster size.

Someone catch me up, the CSS has a similar, but not identical font to the For Fun/Glory menus, so it's likely fake?
Basically, the font used for the CSS was Franklin Gothic (I think). The font used in the direct is ever so slightly different, and is a universal font that has Japanese symbols which the font the CSS used does not. Ergo, it's fake because they used a cheap free font instead of the font the game was shown to use.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Sakurai said in interviews "we're not going to cut characters out of the way". But apologized in case they had to cut characters for any reason. So his intent is to have everyone return. Cuts, especially 4 of them are pretty unlikely considering this. Baring in mind that he was fine with bringing back Samus in a different suit, a one-shot Zelda character and a Link clone. I'd say that makes cuts even less likely.

Possible, but unlikely. It's also worth noting that even if there were cuts, there's always the possibility that they'd return as DLC.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai said in interviews "we're not going to cut characters out of the way". But apologized in case they had to cut characters for any reason. So his intent is to have everyone return. Cuts, especially 4 of them are pretty unlikely considering this. Baring in mind that he was fine with bringing back Samus in a different suit, a one-shot Zelda character and a Link clone. I'd say that makes cuts even less likely.

Possible, but unlikely. It's also worth noting that even if there were cuts, there's always the possibility that they'd return as DLC.
It's one thing to not want to cut characters, but it's a whole different thing when you get close to the end of development and have to cut characters. Just because he doesn't want to doesn't mean he won't, he did say after Brawl's development that choosing which characters should be cut is one of the hardest thing in development, so it's obvious that he always tries to bring everyone back, but the reality of the situation is that it's not always possible.

I think cuts are guaranteed, we're most likely not seeing Squirtle or Ivysaur again, and I'll consider Snake to be in grave danger if he's not shown at E3. Lucas or Wolf are possible as a 4th cut, but I doubt either will be cut. Ice Climbers could be on thin ice too given Sakurai's comments about them on the 3DS, but I don't foresee them being cut completely, worst case scenario they're no longer a duo and it'll just be Ice Climber.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
Someone pointed out that this happened during X/Y too. http://prntscr.com/1u80pv
I feel like we're caught in the middle of "Are we over analyzing" or are we analyzing too much in a good way.
Ya people are jumping ship too soon, the font thing seems like really over analyzing it, has the font in past smash games been different depending on what menu you were on?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I love how when I fall asleep the leak dies, but when I wake up people are trying to revive it. Quite symbolic if you ask me.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's one thing to not want to cut characters, but it's a whole different thing when you get close to the end of development and have to cut characters. Just because he doesn't want to doesn't mean he won't, he did say after Brawl's development that choosing which characters should be cut is one of the hardest thing in development, so it's obvious that he always tries to bring everyone back, but the reality of the situation is that it's not always possible.

I think cuts are guaranteed, we're most likely not seeing Squirtle or Ivysaur again, and I'll consider Snake to be in grave danger if he's not shown at E3. Lucas or Wolf are possible as a 4th cut, but I doubt either will be cut. Ice Climbers could be on thin ice too given Sakurai's comments about them on the 3DS, but I don't foresee them being cut completely, worst case scenario they're no longer a duo and it'll just be Ice Climber.
Sakurai has had more dev time and a bigger team this time around than he did with Brawl. By the time the game was shown off last e3 when the interviews were taking place, the roster would have been close to being finalized if not already so.

Some of the choices that have made it in the game essentially indicate that cuts will be few, if any. Why would he cut Lucas or Wolf, when both were nearly on Melee and both are some of his favorite characters? Snake is probably the most possible cut, but really because of licensing issues moreso than anything else. Like I said, if characters were going to be cut, why would he choose two unique/popular Pokemon over a one-shot Zelda character (when there's already a Zelda in the game), or Samus in a different costume (especially when it's pretty obvious that we're in for a new Metroid character), or an alternate Link? ZSS wasn't even considered important enough in Brawl to appear on the character select screen. Why would he cut the only quadrupedal character in favour of her? Why wouldn't he have cut Ike for a new FE rep, or Olimar for Alph? He easily could have, but he clearly chose those characters to return for a reason.

Again, it's possible. But unlikely. Saying that cuts are guaranteed is even more stupid than saying that everyone from Brawl is 100% returning. And I'm really getting sick of Ivysaur and Squirtle being held to a different standard as every other character too. There has been no single shred of evidence, or ANYTHING indicating that they are more likely to get cut than any other character. They were considered fully fledged playable characters by the only man whose opinion matters.

As of right now, we have no evidence that anyone will be cut. But we've had a quote directly from Sakurai stating in so many words that he intends to bring back everyone from Brawl. Not to mention that he said that it's "very important" that he puts in as many characters as possible.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I still believe this leak to be fake based on all of the reasons I gave before (and the point about the font, I didn't really analyse the fonts beforehand), I find this image pretty amusing:

Also yeah, I think people predicting cuts should really stop at this point. It was stated in a very early interview that nobody was planned to be cut. They don't aim to cut any characters from Brawl.

With that in mind, it was also stated that the roster would not be expanded as much as it was in Brawl (a lot of people took this as "it will be smaller than Brawl"). Essentially, we're getting less newcomers.

So if anything, cutting characters seems like something they would really want to avoid this time around. Splitting up transformation characters also has the side effect of making the roster look bigger than it otherwise would.

Snake is literally the only newcomer I understand people being doubtful about, but even he still has a shot at this point.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
While I still believe this leak to be fake based on all of the reasons I gave before (and the point about the font, I didn't really analyse the fonts beforehand), I find this image pretty amusing:

Also yeah, I think people predicting cuts should really stop at this point. It was stated in a very early interview that nobody was planned to be cut. They don't aim to cut any characters from Brawl.

With that in mind, it was also stated that the roster would not be expanded as much as it was in Brawl (a lot of people took this as "it will be smaller than Brawl"). Essentially, we're getting less newcomers.

So if anything, cutting characters seems like something they would really want to avoid this time around. Splitting up transformation characters also has the side effect of making the roster look bigger than it otherwise would.

Snake is literally the only newcomer I understand people being doubtful about, but even he still has a shot at this point.
Nobody was planned to be cut... yet. That's what he said.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Basically, the font used for the CSS was Franklin Gothic (I think). The font used in the direct is ever so slightly different, and is a universal font that has Japanese symbols which the font the CSS used does not. Ergo, it's fake because they used a cheap free font instead of the font the game was shown to use.
Hmm, I just read over the font analysis, and that's pretty damning, if you ask me. At the risk of someone accusing me of "trying to keep the leak alive," I'll question whether anyone thinks this Western font is an understandable difference that could appear in a Western demo, but not the final game?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Nobody was planned to be cut... yet. That's what he said.
And he hasn't said anything contrary to that.

If anything, he mocked all y'all with the Zero Suit Samus fake-out! :V

Toon Link, Ike, and Lucario were considered among the most "likely" to be cut by fans, but they are all here, so as far as I'm concerned, there is no logical reason to believe anyone else is cut, besides Snake.

Hmm, I just read over the font analysis, and that's pretty damning, if you ask me. At the risk of someone accusing me of "trying to keep the leak alive," I'll question whether anyone thinks this Western font is an understandable difference that could appear in a Western demo, but not the final game?
It's very uncommon for a game to have a font change because of region differences, especially if it's for minor text.

And I'm pretty sure the screen in the direct was of the localised version, the Japanese version probably has actual Japanese text. If anyone knows where a Japanese version of the Direct could be found, we could possiby get more insight on this.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Exactly. When I first saw that the transformations were being separated my initial thought was "they're doing that because there aren't as many newcomers, to pad the roster out and make it look as big as possible".

I completely agree with this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom