• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Mew2King doesn't get invited to the E3 invitational tournament, then I'm scared to see who the Big N considers "pro players". Apparently there was that one youtuber guy. That's a bad sign.
Which youtuber guy?

noticus

Smash Cadet
is it possible that the angle of the photos makes the font look different?
i really can't tell the difference between the direct font and the leak font
it seems like the angle could account for some distortion

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So who wants to give me the run down on what makes the latest leak fake and does it affect the every one of the pics? I'm also not about to blow a leak off because of minor text differences, isn't that what made people think Greninja was fake when he was leaked for X and Y?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
is it possible that the angle of the photos makes the font look different?
i really can't tell the difference between the direct font and the leak font
it seems like the angle could account for some distortion
Nope, it has already been disproven.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
So who wants to give me the run down on what makes the latest leak fake and does it affect the every one of the pics? I'm also not about to blow a leak off because of minor text differences, isn't that what made people think Greninja was fake when he was leaked for X and Y?
Pics 1 and 2, font is completely different.

Pic 4, Ridley's nameplate is up by 1.

Pic 3, Little Mac's C and Sonic's C are different.

Pic 5, made by a third party, was not the original leaker for many how many mistakes were in it.

Pic 6, nothing wrong with the photo, but the author mentioned how you unlock Ridley which supports his previous post about there being 2 versions, a Tourney version and a Best Buy verison.

Pic 7, it just looks fake.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
All of the pics except for the original 2 were basically determined to be fake and not posted by the original leaker.

Then, everyone seemed to agree that there are font inconsistencies between the original 2 pics and the font in this image from the Smash Direct (you can see them below). I seem to be the only person who can't spot the differences. I thought there were 2 fonts used in the leak and 2 fonts used in the Direct image which would account for most of the inconsistencies mentioned, but I've been told this is not true. Maybe I just don't know font types very well.

Last edited:

plrichard

Smash Cadet
For the record, I don't see it either, but the dude seems to know his stuff.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
For the record, I don't see it either, but the dude seems to know his stuff.
All of the pics except for the original 2 were basically determined to be fake.

Then, everyone seemed to agree that there are font inconsistencies between the original 2 pics and the font in this image from the Smash Direct (you can see them below). I seem to be the only person who can't spot the differences. I thought there were 2 fonts used in the leak and 2 fonts used in the Direct image which would account for most of the inconsistencies mentioned, but I've been told this is not true. Maybe I just don't know font types very well.

Here let me help you bro.

The center of "A" in "Anyone" looks like a Dot. The center of "A" in "All" looks like a triangle.

The center of e looks like a dot in "Anyone". However it looks like a semi-circle in "Free".

There is a little dent in the shadow of the e in "Free", but the shadow of e in "Anyone" is completely circular.

There are a lot more inconsistencies, but I'm sticking to the differences between "Anyone" and "Free for All"

Last edited:

plrichard

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I mean I guess it's there. Although we've explained away other things, I'm ready to give up on it though.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Here let me help you bro.

The center of A in "Anyone" looks like a Dot. The center of a in "All" looks like a triangle.

The center of e looks like a dot in "Anyone". However it looks like a semi-circle in "Free".

There is a little dent in the shadow of the e in "Free", but the shadow of e in "Anyone" is completely circular.

There are a lot more inconsistencies, but I'm sticking to the differences between "Anyone" and "Free for All"
I definitely see the little dent in the shadow for the e in the leak image.

But to me, the center of e in "anyone" looks like a semi-circle, and the A in "Anyone" looks like a triangle, matching up with the leak font.

Let me post a larger picture of it:

http://www.impulsegamer.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/For-Fun-For-Glory.jpg

Anyway, I'm kinda tired and I don't even care enough to prove/disprove anymore. I think I'm gonna go to bed. I'm sure there are more major differences with the font, but the ones I've seen seem too minor to mean anything. I'll analyze it more tomorrow.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I definitely see the little dent in the shadow for the e in the leak image.

But to me, the center of e in "anyone" looks like a semi-circle, and the A in "Anyone" looks like a triangle, matching up with the leak font.

Let me post a larger picture of it:

http://www.impulsegamer.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/For-Fun-For-Glory.jpg

Anyway, I'm kinda tired and I don't even care enough to prove/disprove anymore. I think I'm gonna go to bed. I'm sure there are more major differences with the font, but the ones I've seen seem too minor to mean anything. I'll analyze it more tomorrow.
I was about to post that....

I guess that it is clear that the i is larger than the t in the direct's "With". While the t and i are the height in the leak in options.

Also the shadows of the e.

Last edited:

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
I guess that it is clear that the i is larger than the t in the direct's "With". While the t and i are the height in the leak in options.
See, I always thought that the skinny black font for "options" in the leak, and "online" in the Direct Image was Font A, but that the thicker font for "Free for All" in the leak and "With Anyone" and "For Glory/Fun" in the Direct image was Font B. Do you see what I mean? I was told that this is not true, but idk.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Man, talk about persistence. =P

Here, guys:

To further lend credence, this is a Japanese game, so its use of a Japanese font makes perfect sense. If you can't see the differences now, I can't help you. =P

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
See, I always thought that the skinny black font for "options" in the leak, and "online" in the Direct Image was Font A, but that the thicker font for "Free for All" in the leak and "With Anyone" and "For Glory/Fun" in the Direct image was Font B. Do you see what I mean? I was told that this is not true, but idk.
I'm looking at it again I'm positive of these things.

"Online" uses the same font as "With Anyone", the I and n look exactly the same.

The little "e"s in "Free" are squarer and less oval than the ones in "Anyone".

The "A" in Anyone looks slightly different than the "A" in all.

Nevermind everyone, it is still fake.

Here, guys:

To further lend credence, this is a Japanese game, so its use of a Japanese font makes perfect sense. If you can't see the differences now, I can't help you. =P

Yeah, I can see it clearly that these 2 fonts are different.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
And now you have an image to share on the other forums. Happy day! XP

If you need further proof that the font is different, I WILL go hulk on you. =P

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Here, guys:

nice research, but is it impossible for font to change?

honestly i dont think it's outside of the constant "this is a work in progress anything might change" message we hear about this game for something like font to switch around before the final product. in fact its minor aesthetics changes like that that are likely to switch around before we get the final game.

not trying to nit pick and force this supposed leak to be real BUT this is the kind of overly scrutinizing "leak busting" that was done for the pokemon X and Y leaks...which turned out to be true despite all the nit picking.

just sayin'

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
I hate to be that guy, but in X and Y people used the font argument to dismiss two perfectly existing Pokemon. Here's a good example of said arguments used to disprove "Greninja" back before it was 100% confirmed to be true.

http://prntscr.com/1u80pv

and another solid argument people used (even though I disagreed with both but meh)

http://imgur.com/a/e1cdR

So I wouldn't take this debunk as absolute even if the font generally does lead credentials to it (edit being fake I mean)

Note: Second one was more disproving Hawlucha but regardless.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

honestly i dont think it's outside of the constant "this is a work in progress anything might change" message we hear about this game for something like font to switch around before the final product. in fact its minor aesthetics changes like that that are likely to switch around before we get the final game.

not trying to nit pick and force this supposed leak to be real BUT this is the kind of overly scrutinizing "leak busting" that was done for the pokemon X and Y leaks...which turned out to be true despite all the nit picking.

just sayin'
I think it's reasonable for a font to change over time. But only within the bounds of reason.

They wouldn't take a Japanese font that has both a Roman and Japanese character set and replace it with Franklin Gothic, which is a western typeface that was designed for print applications.

I dunno what types of arguments were being made for the Pokemon X & Y stuff, but It simply doesn't make sense for them to change to Franklin Gothic. All of the typefaces I've ever come across that are used in Nintendo's games have been Japanese typefaces. I don't think it's a stretch to be confident that a leak that gives us either no new characters or really cryptically presented new characters with an incorrect font that also happens to be present on a lot of computers sold in America.

EDIT: Got ninja'd with an example of the pokemon font comparisons.

I hate to be that guy, but in X and Y people used the font argument to dismiss two perfectly existing Pokemon. Here's a good example of said arguments used to disprove "Greninja" back before it was 100% confirmed to be true.

and another solid argument people used (even though I disagreed with both but meh)

So I wouldn't take this debunk as absolute even if the font generally does lead credentials to it (edit being fake I mean)

See, with 3DS games and their low resolution, they likely produce their own typefaces because vector typefaces wouldn't translate well to the small screens. Low res games like that typically have raster typefaces that are built from pixels, rather than rasterized from a vector. The change to the A was likely a change for that single character to give that character clarity, since the apex of the A on a small font might look less than optimal. But they didn't switch to a completely new typeface, which is why other letters look constant.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

just sayin'

How is that a good argument? (not you, the original guy) They are the same length, that guy is just wrong.

About the actual type, I agree to what Hex said. It makes sense for them to change a single letter, and in a pretty drastic way. However the proof is that the whole font changed for a very likely reason. That the guy didn't have access to the font because it cost like 500 bucks.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Sorry for the subsequent edits to my last post. Might have confused people.

I should ask.... what A is used in the final game? Is it the flat top A or the pointed A?

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I think it's reasonable for a font to change over time. But only within the bounds of reason.

They wouldn't take a Japanese font that has both a Roman and Japanese character set and replace it with Franklin Gothic, which is a western typeface that was designed for print applications.

I dunno what types of arguments were being made for the Pokemon X & Y stuff, but It simply doesn't make sense for them to change to Franklin Gothic. All of the typefaces I've ever come across that are used in Nintendo's games have been Japanese typefaces. I don't think it's a stretch to be confident that a leak that gives us either no new characters or really cryptically presented new characters with an incorrect font that also happens to be present on a lot of computers sold in America.

EDIT: Got ninja'd with an example of the pokemon font comparisons.

See, with 3DS games and their low resolution, they likely produce their own typefaces because vector typefaces wouldn't translate well to the small screens. Low res games like that typically have raster typefaces that are built from pixels, rather than rasterized from a vector. The change to the A was likely a change for that single character, not a switch to a completely new typeface, which is why other letters look constant.
How is that a good argument? (not you, the original guy) They are the same length, that guy is just wrong.
The fact that the argument here is japanese type face VS western type face is a much more solid argument than what was argued for X and Y.

I'm simply pointing out that when we "kill" leaks for the sake of killing leaks by scrutinizing minor details we might end up dismissing real info.

The type face thing is a good argument but I don't think it's the nail in the coffin everyone seems to be treating it as, regardless E3 is not far away and neither is the best buy demo so we'll know for sure soon enough.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The fact that the argument here is japanese type face VS western type face is a much more solid argument than what was argued for X and Y.

I'm simply pointing out that when we "kill" leaks for the sake of killing leaks by scrutinizing minor details we might end up dismissing real info.

The type face thing is a good argument but I don't think it's the nail in the coffin everyone seems to be treating it as, regardless E3 is not far away and neither is the best buy demo so we'll know for sure soon enough.
Yeah, you Ninja'd my edit to my response. :p

Sorry for the subsequent edits to my last post. Might have confused people.

I should ask.... what A is used in the final game? Is it the flat top A or the pointed A?
I think it uses the Triangle A, and not the squarish A.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The fact that the argument here is japanese type face VS western type face is a much more solid than what was argued for X and Y.

Yeah, ultimately, it doesn't matter, because we're 2 weeks away from knowing the truth.

I'll just throw a mini party if I happen to have been right. =P

Ah, interesting. I'm betting it was because the square A was too similar to the R, which is only a pixel away from being that square A. =P

Last edited:

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
Just to point out to those who quoted me, I'm not saying it proves it real. In fact the opposite a changed font implies it being fake. My only argument is that it doesn't make it instantly written off 100%. Sure it's likelier to be fake now, but it isn't assured. What I believe on the matter, isn't what I'm arguing.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Yeah, ultimately, it doesn't matter, because we're 2 weeks away from knowing the truth.

I'll just throw a mini party if I happen to have been right. =P
I would be damn surprised if the CSS turned out to be true for how many flaws are in it. The thing is that you proved a fact and reasonable explanation, but stuff could go crazy quick. Especially when it comes to Nintendo games.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Yeah, you Ninja'd my edit to my response. :p

I would be damn surprised if the CSS turned out to be true for how many flaws are in it. The thing is that you proved a fact and reasonable explanation, but stuff could go crazy quick. Especially when it comes to Nintendo games.
If it turns out to be real, I'm never showing my face here again. XP

Y'know, it doesn't really matter if the consensus around here is that the leak is "dead" or not. All that really does is determine whether or not we're going to keep talking about it tomorrow. It doesn't make anything true or false. The whole community could declare it dead and it could still be true. You never know for sure.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Just to point out to those who quoted me, I'm not saying it proves it real. In fact the opposite a changed font implies it being fake. My only argument is that it doesn't make it instantly written off 100%. Sure it's likelier to be fake now, but it isn't assured. What I believe on the matter, isn't what I'm arguing.
well said, same here. basically i'm not trying to argue its real just that I don't think this 100% kills it and that it's this sort of leak killing that actually can cause us to dismiss real info, so we should be careful.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If it turns out to be real, I'm never showing my face here again. XP

Y'know, it doesn't really matter if the consensus around here is that the leak is "dead" or not. All that really does is determine whether or not we're going to keep talking about it tomorrow. It doesn't make anything true or false. The whole community could declare it dead and it could still be true. You never know for sure.
Aww man, don't say that. You just stated a fact and have a reasonable explanation for it. Your a super smart guy who would be the only dude to spot something like a typeface! :D

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
well said, same here. basically i'm not trying to argue its real just that I don't think this 100% kills it and that it's this sort of leak killing that actually can cause us to dismiss real info.
Though to be fair, I don't think anybody gets hurt by the dismissal of real info. It just makes us feel a little embarrassed after the fact. =P

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
well said, same here. basically i'm not trying to argue its real just that I don't think this 100% kills it and that it's this sort of leak killing that actually can cause us to dismiss real info.

And I 100% agree with that mentality. (though you already know that ;D) but in all seriousness, more often than not in more or better arguments for game leaks I've seen them dismissed in ridiculous extremes.

Even more extreme was the Pokemon Gen V starter dismissal which was considered widely accepted that they were fake where as my Greninja comparison is small in comparison. I don't know if you were there when they were compared with previous models and all kinds of other crazy ways to disprove them, but people were so frevelent to prove it false it ended up like what I'm arguing now.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
And I 100% agree with that mentality. (though you already know that ;D) but in all seriousness, more often than not in more or better arguments for game leaks I've seen them dismissed in ridiculous extremes.

Even more extreme was the Pokemon Gen V starter dismissal which was considered widely accepted that they were fake where as my Greninja comparison is small in comparison. I don't know if you were there when they were compared with previous models and all kinds of other crazy ways to disprove them, but people were so frevelent to prove it false it ended up like what I'm arguing now.
Ahaha I was there. I remember people saying this exactly:

"Why would Froakie's final evolution suddenly turn yellow and have a long tongue? That makes no sense, FAAKE!"

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie
Ahaha I was there. I remember people saying this exactly:

"Why would Froakie's final evolution suddenly turn yellow and have a long tongue? That makes no sense, FAAKE!"
That's actually the only real reason people tried to dismiss gen VI starters. "Wah it's not to my liking" but Gen V was even worse. "This Pokemon is using this pokemon's model" "This shows the image was altered" "Man X says he created them and they were faked. He even delivered that image."

Hell even for a time Serebii announced Gen V starters as fakes (not Gen VI: IE: Greninja) but that was corrected soon after.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Though to be fair, I don't think anybody gets hurt by the dismissal of real info. It just makes us feel a little embarrassed after the fact. =P
true, maybe "careful" isn't the right word...no ones in danger of being hurt here either way and of course we should do everything possible to "check" a leaks validity but in the same way leaks should be taken with a grain of salt i think "leak busting" needs to be as well, specifically when it's minor details that are "killing" the leak.

I agree 100% haha

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
From what I have seen and followed here, I am still not convinced these are fake, for various reasons (no offence to you who say you've debunked it). But I don't feel like discussing that very much, as it would appear a few of you seems to get more and more annoyed about re-explaining things.

So, simply, we'll see soon enough anywyas. Barely a few weeks until E3 anyways.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Okay, I've kept this charade going long enough. Time for me to come clean.

I made the CSS leak images. =P It was my little treat in honor of not being able to do a project like the Kirby Hats for this game. With the help of some friends from deviantART, we put together a master file based on all the content we amassed from the Direct, and then went to town. I posted the original 2 and then my friends posted the rest. I dunno where that Ridley image came from though. o_o

I didn't actually know what the real font was until today, after I posted the For Fun/For Glory image at the WhatTheFont forums at myfonts.com. Had I thought to look for it earlier, I would have used it in the leak, but alas, all I could do was use what I had at my disposal.

It was a fun romp while it lasted, but I couldn't let it last forever.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

I made the CSS leak images. =P It was my little treat in honor of not being able to do a project like the Kirby Hats for this game. With the help of some friends from deviantART, we put together a master file based on all the content we amassed from the Direct, and then went to town. I posted the original 2 and then my friends posted the rest. I dunno where that Ridley image came from though. o_o

I didn't actually know what the real font was until today, after I posted the For Fun/For Glory image at the WhatTheFont forums at myfonts.com. Had I thought to look for it earlier, I would have used it in the leak, but alas, all I could do was use what I had at my disposal.

are you for real right now

Mewtwo_soul

Smash Rookie

With all honesty with how many people lie about lying about lying it's impossible to tell anything from the truth. You could be telling the truth, but each time I have flashbacks of Gen V (Pokemon), Halo 3, Gen VI (Pokemon I mean), Smash Bros. Brawl, etc. from confessions like this. It's akin to government conspiracies in a sense. How many people honestly believed before Snowden that the governement was recording our calls, keeping tabs on us through or via internet and similar aspects?

That's why I hate the "I made the leak confessions. " It could be true, or just reverse psychology for someone who wants them to be fake. Since I haven't even really been keeping tabs on the leaks it doesn't really matter to me, but still it's always obnoxious because even if it should be obvious it's fake (if you did indeed make it) people will draw lingering doubts just due to experience from the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom