• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dynamics of Phantasm

I am posting this here because I swear we answer questions about phantasm all the time and I am surprised no one has done this yet.

If you have anything to add, flame, troll, or contradict about phantasm, post it here.
Perfect IAP
Frame 1-6 - Jump animation.
Frame 7-22 - Start-up.
Frame 23 - "Ping" noise. Hitbox comes out. Press B to cancel at shortest possible distance.
Frame 24 - Press B to cancel at mid distance.
Frame 25 - Press B to cancel at longest distance.
Frame 26-43 - Cooldown.
Frame 44 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the shortest possible distance.
Frame 45 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at mid distance.
Frame 46 - Other actions can be performed if the Phantasm was cancelled at the longest distance.
Frame 47-50 - Cooldown for uncancelled Phantasm.
Frame 51 - Other actions can be universally performed.

Falco is the blue box. Red box is the hitbox. Brown is the borders between slides. Black is the stage.

>>Falco is stuck in 23 frames before anything happens. Simple hurtbox.
>>On frame 24, falco literally teleports between the start-up location and the midway distance for phantasm. At this location, the hitbox appears behind falco while his hurtbox is out in front.
>>On frame 25, the same thing happens like it did on frame 24, falco teleports again, but this time the hitbox appears between the midway and ending points of the move. Again, falco's hurbox is infront of the hitbox.
>> The rest of the frames are cooldown.

The move is really weak. It's a hitbox that will clash with anything, and Falco can even get hit out of it in the middle, end or start-up lag. If you can space anything between those middle, end, and start-up points, the move is in a sense unpunishable because you pull some MK infinite dimensional cape BS with phantasm because falco teleports to 3 distance in the span of 2 frames.

Choice

Smash Champion
you should walk instead. what if you would have tripped and never had been able to make that video end that way? the tragedy...

pulse131

Smash Ace
l0ol it would have sucked yes. but seeing as how im a falco scrub i dint want to **** my walk. dont ask me how on earth that would ever happen, i just know it would have.
also i wasnt sure if i would make it to the end or not without running.

pulse131

Smash Ace
at the time i had no confidence in doing that and had the timing wrong, was doing it too soon after the dash thinking i had to buffer it like mad, but ya i felt it safe and that 1% chance of tripping wouldnt take effect.

SK92

Smash Journeyman
to cancel everytime............

you must press B at a steady pace 3 times in a row, with the third one hitting the timing of the extension

it seperates frame memory in my head to get it 99 percent of time

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I just press B twice when I think the *Zing* sound is going to happen. I get it 100% of the time. Get at me SK

Choice

Smash Champion
yea i press b when the zing happens for the long cancel and the vmph for the short cancel.

erick gm14

Smash Ace
phantasm has even less lag when u do the long cancel from a IAP. i think its shorter too since falco glides further but not from IAP. may help his game since less lag is always better. also ppl dont expect a standing phantasm a lot. try using it with mix ups. it looks faster than IAP startup since falco has to jump, but its still fast.

Choice

Smash Champion
standing phantasm gives you penalty though and has so much ending lag. its like even if it hits its all you're getting.

IAP has the chance to lead into a meteor stirke if the opponent goes airborn slightly off the ground. I am not sure how useful that is compared to IAP into an aerial follow up provided it hits.

Uhh.... just iap, its better.

Brawlin

Smash Journeyman
On the phantasm, r the short and long cancels useful? All I can think of is mindgames, but generally I think there is too much lag? I never cancel a phantasm because of this. I only really use phantasm for positioning and returning to stage.

Sh!ne

Smash Apprentice
You can use long cancel if you're not too comfortable going for the ledge on some stages (like Brinstar and Delfino). You shouldn't really get punished because alot of people are fooled by the fact that we can make phantasm go alot further. Short cancel and mid cancel are for mindgames (i guess). You can still hit with mid cancel though, so learning to mid cancel an IAP on stage can come in handy.

Denzi

Smash Master
i feel like you post more about where threads should go and less about the current topic within them :laugh:
I definitely post on topic the majority of the time. It's just that:

1. There isn't much to say here except a possible congratulations to Xeylode for compiling all the Phantasm info, and

2. I've been trying to direct threads a little more than usual lately because that's what I feel I'm obligated to do as DL, especially now that we have no mod.

Top Bottom