• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Draw With Your Power!! Currently going through a transition. HINT FOR WEEK 12!!

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I made it with Flash (vectors). I draw outlines with a mouse and reshape them till they look right. It's more like molding clay than drawing :laugh:.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
Rah! Alright, so...here's my contribution:

Digital

Meh, it's a quick, sketchy pic, but that's how I like 'em. Also, nice work, everyone. Bowser deserves more attention.

Ange

Smash Lord
Guess its time to finally enter this thing and show some of my artistic side, since I love drawing.

Colors are slightly false compared to the true drawing because of PB somehow makes them more un-dull, but it will do.
100% made in MSpaint with my computer laser mouse.

Frown

poekmon
Guess its time to finally enter this thing and show some of my artistic side, since I love drawing.

Colors are slightly false compared to the true drawing because of PB somehow makes them more un-dull, but it will do.
AWESOME

Det blir svårt att slå denna

Spire

III
BRoomer

I cannot compliment you enough on how much I enjoy this piece. I will be revisiting this thread just to view this many a time from now. Thank you :)

Oh, and I plan on entering this contest (Luigi didn't work well with my schedule, unfortunately).

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
Dragonoise has a Wicked Interpretation. An entirely unique look to an old character. *Big thumbs up*

I'm gonna have to complain about Ange's Submission, though. Red hair and collar aside, if you showed me this picture at random, I wouldn't be able to tell it was suppose to be a rendition of Bowser.

The basic physique has no common characteristics to the character. The iconic spiky shell is absent, the figure has no bulk, he's got wings for arms (lol?), his facial composition is incomparable, etc. While I wouldn't assume it, it looks like an edited version of a raptor to create the illusion of a creative Bowser submission. Either way, it's too far from the original character design to be seriously considered, imo.

Keto

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna have to complain about Ange's Submission, though. Red hair and collar aside, if you showed me this picture at random, I wouldn't be able to tell it was suppose to be a rendition of Bowser.

The basic physique has no common characteristics to the character. The iconic spiky shell is absent, the figure has no bulk, he's got wings for arms (lol?), his facial composition is incomparable, etc. While I wouldn't assume it, it looks like an edited version of a raptor to create the illusion of a creative Bowser submission. Either way, it's too far from the original character design to be seriously considered, imo.
You're completely missing the point of this. "Draw With Your Power (or DWYP for short) is a creative art contest." Hmm, creative art? "What is this debauchery?" you must be asking. Look at the previous winners (the digital yoshi as the best example) and see that it's almost the same concept as Ange's submission and it won the category. Not only was it a great entry it was also creative.

Also judging by your submission, which is great don't get me wrong, lacks a creative touch.

I know it's your opinion but something that good I feel needs to be defended, especially if it was done in MSpaint.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum

A quickie.
Not mah best.
But it twas fun to draw, none the less.
Digital. Made in paint tool SAI
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!! I JUST WANNA CUDDLE WITH 'IM!

You're completely missing the point of this. "Draw With Your Power (or DWYP for short) is a creative art contest." Hmm, creative art? "What is this debauchery?" you must be asking. Look at the previous winners (the digital yoshi as the best example) and see that it's almost the same concept as Ange's submission and it won the category. Not only was it a great entry it was also creative.

Also judging by your submission, which is great don't get me wrong, lacks a creative touch.

I know it's your opinion but something that good I feel needs to be defended, especially if it was done in MSpaint.
Exactly. I'm encouraging creativity here, not people who can recreate a character down to the last detail. Personally, I'd be more tempted to vote for, say, an abstract representation of Ike than a well-drawn, but unoriginal, anime picture of him.

Hyrus

Smash Journeyman
I'm encouraging creativity here, not people who can recreate a character down to the last detail. Personally, I'd be more tempted to vote for, say, an abstract representation of Ike than a well-drawn, but unoriginal, anime picture of him.
I get what you're saying more than you know. I'm not saying it isn't good art - i'm saying that it isn't definitively Bowser and can't be seriously considered for the thread. I gave a lot of good reasons why - I'd appreciate it if anyone would challenge the points I brought up in specifics.

Ange's submission looks more like Yoshi than Bowser. Yoshi is a dinosaur very akin to a raptor. Yoshi has red bumps on it's head (which can be interpreted into hair, as it is in Paper Mario artwork). The raptor has no indication of a shell, of Bowser's mouth style, of his bulky physique, etc. After all - all creativity spawns out of a reference to something someone's seen - taking a reptile and coloring it green and red does not identify with the iconic, symbolic, unique traits that Nintendo's oldest villain possesses.

Dragonoise's submission is unique because he takes the elements that define Bowser as a unique character and he warps them. They're all different, but they're there - his mouth shape, his spiny shell, his large girth. Those elements let me go "Hey, that's Bowser! Awesome!". Because Ange's submission lacks and neglects the unique characteristics of Bowser, I can easily be confused and mistake it for Yoshi - or simply a raptor with red hair.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Isn't art almost nothing but subjective?

I at least say it exactly as Bowser, even though it would take me a sec to realize what it was out of context. You can't discredit a piece because it's too abstract. :/

Erg, this is Zelda all over again.

Legretta the Quick

Smash Cadet
@Zook: Hell Bowser will destroy all with his cuteness. But yeah...he looks very cuddly :'3

@Denzi: DON'T STARE INTO HIS EYES! HE'S SLOWLY TAKING OVER YOUR SOUL!!!!

ook

Smash Lord
Bowzer

Hand-drawn with a pencil. and scanned cause I got my scanner working :bee:

lol... it's so messy and sketchy and weird, but I had to do it.

If I redo/color/shade it later, can I resubmit it?

also, when is the deadline? I can't find it :/

Ange

Smash Lord
Lol, I knew people would complain about my entry. Heck, I actually even waited for the complaining to come, and it did.

Hyrus, I hope you know what a Velociraptor is. If not, I suggest searching it up on Wikipedia. They had feathers covering their whole body, and they was possibly capable of flight on small distances. Thats how Velociraptors look, and I wanted to draw Bowser as one.

The reason why I didnt add Bowsers shell was because I didnt want to ruin my picture more. I know you could have just copy/paste everything etc etc, but I wanted to show the true anatomy of the reptile rather than adding a massive shell onto its back.
I WAS, however, going to add spikes, but I scrapped that idea.

/end argument

Zylar

Smash Ace
Lol, I knew people would complain about my entry. Heck, I actually even waited for the complaining to come, and it did.

Hyrus, I hope you know what a Velociraptor is. If not, I suggest searching it up on Wikipedia. They had feathers covering their whole body, and they was possibly capable of flight on small distances. Thats how Velociraptors look, and I wanted to draw Bowser as one.

The reason why I didnt add Bowsers shell was because I didnt want to ruin my picture more. I know you could have just copy/paste everything etc etc, but I wanted to show the true anatomy of the reptile rather than adding a massive shell onto its back.
I WAS, however, going to add spikes, but I scrapped that idea.

/end argument
I don't see how that ends the argument...

My take on it : Zelda week pretty much dealt with the same issue of how closely should the works be reflecting the character. Well, all the works were accepted as entries. So I think this case should be no different. Besides, in the end people will vote for who they want for pretty much any reason within the best, overall, and creative contexts.

What I'm saying is let the people decide.

Sliq

Smash Master
When does this end? I think those would be a good exercise to get into drawing more organic figures well. When it comes to products I got it down for the most part, but I am awful at people and organic things, and I wish not to be, so I may submit an entry if I get time.

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
Drawing sucked. I'm not going to enter this one. I hope the next character is easier to draw.

Keto

Smash Journeyman
Isn't art almost nothing but subjective?

I at least say it exactly as Bowser, even though it would take me a sec to realize what it was out of context. You can't discredit a piece because it's too abstract. :/

Erg, this is Zelda all over again.
I wasn't here for the Zelda part so I just read everything. All I can say is wow. 0.o

Top Bottom