• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

noe3

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noe_03
3DS FC
3368-2779-4997
Thanks for sharing that set, it's so hype xD I'd love to see more of your tournament footage in the future.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hey guys here's a slew of Mega Man videos from a regional (78 entrants) this past weekend in Georgia. These include myself, Kismet and Mikalott. Any critiques on my matches would be greatly appreciated, but feel free to watch all of them to see some Mega Man action in tournament!

ScAtt:

vs Mikalott :132:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0rOt23gbxs

vs. Player 3 :4sheik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFoUR75Zc6M

vs. Player 1 :4diddy: (Winner's Semi's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFmZVqSjtdY

vs. TheReflexWonder :4wario: (Winner's Finals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelyfgsmClk

vs. SWS l Fatality :4falcon: (Loser's Finals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usvy9o5ck_U

Kismet:
vs. Gadiel Vastar :rosalina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a-wO9A5WqI

vs. Player 3 :4sheik:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPaWeQvi3go

vs. Teh Umby :4marth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdPM1IGHkhg

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
For those who wanted to see mega man win a tournament, grand finals from versus is finally up!

Easily one of the craziest sets I've had the pleasure of being apart of! Share or comment if you enjoyed it!!
Any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated!

This match is between myself and 8Bitman in Grand Finals
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFY5WfNsqc
Well done! That response on the last match was clutch! Other dude was getting so mad too lol.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Could use some help here, guys. At MVG Sandstorm, I got a chance to face off against pro player Hungrybox on stream, twice. Customs tourney and I used Danger Wrap, Tornado Hold, and Plant Barrier.

The first time in pools, I actually beat him and even though it was a pools match the crowd was really impressed by it. Though, he says he doesn't know the MU very well and has apparently never seen the customs I used: http://www.twitch.tv/mew2king/v/4139318 Game is at 2:23:40

I was to play him again the next day as we both made it into the Top 64 bracket, and this time I lost brutally and the tables turned. He either somehow turned on God mode and found ways to work around me, or I lost my Magic Touch and gave up the good thing I originally had going. I have no idea what went wrong here :ohwell:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4ZkI360Zc

Any and all help is more than welcome, cause I wanna make sure this doesn't happen again.

And on a side note: Just a funny little story Hungrybox was apparently scared of fighting me again on Day 2, as I heard him ask someone if :4villager: hard counters Mega Man (and that same person told me that's what he said too). And after the game, he later came to me in friendlies telling me that I got a great Mega Man and that it was fun fightin' me. Even though he did beat me pretty badly somehow, a player of his level being (initially) scared of me and congratulating me is a good sign, so I guess that beatdown wasn't a total loss.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster , The way it looks, 2 things happened between the two sets.

1. Hbox got a lot more patient and stopped "lol I'm gonna float above you now" nearly as much.
2. You got a lot LESS patient as a result and were trying to force something.

The first 10 seconds or so of set #2 illustrates this to me... at the start of the match, he simply refused to approach, and it looks like it rattled you slightly. He also would overuse ducking in the neutral, and you seemed to interpret that as "I have to approach now", which that's not true. in that exact scenario, I will never approach him. I'll keep pelleting and metal blading as he misses 1 or 2 ducks and make it the most boring set ever. Also could have used to throw a few fsmashes (as Jiggly has trouble punishing without prediction) and FH down-angled MB's (which give you a grab if she shields)

The second set also illustrates a problem I have with Tornado Hold. It's obvious this is a great offensive tool, but the problem occurs if you whiff. Now I'm not in the camp of "Megaman is super vulnerable to juggles!!" but on whiff, you are propelling yourself into the air, giving up full stage control (so valuable to megaman), and really opening yourself up for punishment.

So my overall advice would be: keep your patience... don't try to force kill options where they don't belong. They'll fall in your lap if you are patient enough.

As another note... Smash is an emotional game. The slightest thought of "I beat him yesterday... what's happening?" can lead to a downward spiral. Try to treat each match as an individual and not focus on what's happened before (this would also be my advice if anybody bodied you first time you played them.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Could use some help here, guys. At MVG Sandstorm, I got a chance to face off against pro player Hungrybox on stream, twice. Customs tourney and I used Danger Wrap, Tornado Hold, and Plant Barrier.

The first time in pools, I actually beat him and even though it was a pools match the crowd was really impressed by it. Though, he says he doesn't know the MU very well and has apparently never seen the customs I used: http://www.twitch.tv/mew2king/v/4139318 Game is at 2:23:40

I was to play him again the next day as we both made it into the Top 64 bracket, and this time I lost brutally and the tables turned. He either somehow turned on God mode and found ways to work around me, or I lost my Magic Touch and gave up the good thing I originally had going. I have no idea what went wrong here :ohwell:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u4ZkI360Zc

Any and all help is more than welcome, cause I wanna make sure this doesn't happen again.

And on a side note: Just a funny little story Hungrybox was apparently scared of fighting me again on Day 2, as I heard him ask someone if :4villager: hard counters Mega Man (and that same person told me that's what he said too). And after the game, he later came to me in friendlies telling me that I got a great Mega Man and that it was fun fightin' me. Even though he did beat me pretty badly somehow, a player of his level being (initially) scared of me and congratulating me is a good sign, so I guess that beatdown wasn't a total loss.
Hummm what I'm gonna say will maybe cause a lot of hatred but If I was in your place I would feel bad for losing against him.
1. First of all he is using jigglypuff one of the worst characters in the game and a matchup that you can destroy if you know how to use bair as an anti aerial.
2. Even if he was a legend in melee, he is not so great compared to actual pros and good megaman players.
3. You used the wrong set, believe me in the first custom tournament I used the same set you used here in almost every matchup and I got destroyed by players that I beat very very easily with default megaman so I understood that 1311 is the answer to almost every matchup, and believe in the case of jigglypuff is the best set by a mile. Never use tornado hold against an aerial fighter, specially when he can edge guard so easily.
4. And at last, I really think you lost because of wrong set and respecting the player too much because of his godlike status on the old scene. Learn to be more defensive and use your anti aerial moves like bair and danger wrap. Tell your head you are in your way to becoming a pro mega man, so don't respect players for their past glorys, respect them for actual results in this game nothing else. When I got beated by a player like hungry box in my first tourny(a player with past glorys and so on) I feel respect but everyone was saying I would gonna loose the match, so i realized that he was not so good, and my head played with me. I went back to training and study the matchup like crazy and next time I faced that player I destroyed him. I hope you do the same because It would be a shame that you got beaten just because he was more patient and defensive than you.

@ Funkermonster Funkermonster , The way it looks, 2 things happened between the two sets.

1. Hbox got a lot more patient and stopped "lol I'm gonna float above you now" nearly as much.
2. You got a lot LESS patient as a result and were trying to force something.

The first 10 seconds or so of set #2 illustrates this to me... at the start of the match, he simply refused to approach, and it looks like it rattled you slightly. He also would overuse ducking in the neutral, and you seemed to interpret that as "I have to approach now", which that's not true. in that exact scenario, I will never approach him. I'll keep pelleting and metal blading as he misses 1 or 2 ducks and make it the most boring set ever. Also could have used to throw a few fsmashes (as Jiggly has trouble punishing without prediction) and FH down-angled MB's (which give you a grab if she shields)

The second set also illustrates a problem I have with Tornado Hold. It's obvious this is a great offensive tool, but the problem occurs if you whiff. Now I'm not in the camp of "Megaman is super vulnerable to juggles!!" but on whiff, you are propelling yourself into the air, giving up full stage control (so valuable to megaman), and really opening yourself up for punishment.

So my overall advice would be: keep your patience... don't try to force kill options where they don't belong. They'll fall in your lap if you are patient enough.

As another note... Smash is an emotional game. The slightest thought of "I beat him yesterday... what's happening?" can lead to a downward spiral. Try to treat each match as an individual and not focus on what's happened before (this would also be my advice if anybody bodied you first time you played them.
Haha.. If only I would have listen you from the very beginning... maybe the sets from the evo would be different and I woudn't have taken so long to realize how good leaf shield and rush coil are.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hungrybox and I had that same discussion at APEX during friendlies. He beat me overall but I still took some matches from him and his Villager.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I will have to agree that Villager hard-counters Mega Man, one reason being his FSmash edgeguarding on the ledge to Mega Man's recovery.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yea I think the mega man villager matchup is on of villagers worst matchups.

For bowling ball you have to recover high, or get a map with angled edges so you can come from below to snap the ledge.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I will have to agree that Villager hard-counters Mega Man, one reason being his FSmash edgeguarding on the ledge to Mega Man's recovery.
nope, Skull barrier reflects almost anything villager does, even his dash attack and that bowling ball. Also if a player isn't to used to use rush against villager, he can use beat and that's game over for villagers edge guard. Also add crash bomb and you force villager to get near all the match.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
even in non-custom, mega has an advantage against villager, imo. I don't have great reasoning for this, other than "Mega Man doesn't put up with villager's crap". Seriously, we kill the gyro with metal blade, explode crash bomb and pass-thru metal blades on trees, and lemon everything in the middle.

The bowling ball off the ledge thing is super avoidable, even if you have to recover low...

With customs, Mega Man has the ability to advance toward villager while reflecting all of his keepout tools... This is just stupidly good.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
You dont even have to use skull barrier. Pellet stops everything. He cant shield grab you. If he throws a lloyd, either grab him before the hitbox comes out or just metal blade it to destroy it. He cant do his run off stage to double jump bair cause pellet hits him and the slingshot. If you stick to the plan, he should never win. It's boring but it has to be done.

After this I wondered why the hell I put skullbarrier on. I'm better off with leaf/plant.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I like running everything stock except beat in that matchup. Crashbomb lets you keep your distance and danger wrap isn't usually as useful. It's a long boring timeout game usually but mega just has to not let him get the percent lead. And definitely don't go off the edge to try and stop him from doing his ledge shenanigans.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
^This guy smiling the entire time during his matches.

I love the moment that Rosa's learn down B isn't the answer....

(PS learn the crash bomb reset timer and stop firing blanks)

All that is to say, good s* man. very good.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Oh, my sets from the weekly I won got put up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT - Loser's round 4 vs Ness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGk7h9hDWSg;list=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT - Loser's finals vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckDkz348vWs;list=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT- GF's vs Rosa

@ mega4000 mega4000 because lol "default Mega vs Rosalina"

On the playlist is also a set against a Falcon, but there was a lot of MU inexperience.

Comments/critique appreciated.
edit: never mind, I back off from my last statement.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
a Rosalina who never use luma warp nor shooting star bit and rushes you the whole match. Yeah nice accomplish! it's like playing with customs off right? pm me and I will bring you a true rosa player today.
It was like playing with customs off.

Because customs were off.

hmm.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
It was like playing with customs off.

Because customs were off.

hmm.
oh, then I regret my statement. Yeah customs off megaman can handle rosalina, it's an even match more in rosa's favor, but you clearly overplayed this guy. I saw just the match, not the character select always skip that and sinze rosalina didn't use any b moves I tought it didn't knew how to play a proper rosa.
Also, remember what you said about ice slasher? I tested this two sets 1211 and 3211 this weak against one of best g&w in the world in the brawl times and the current best g&w in my country. I won most of the matches but he took some sets too. I tested other sets too with crash bomb being completly destroyed by g&w because when the bomb gets attached to him he can jump backwards off stage while doing the bucket or use his custom up b to absorb it in the air without consequences. Danger wrap was a double edge weapon, it only works if you combine it with a bair without letting him absorb the bomb or in a combo. Playing with ice slasher was like playing without a side b even when I've trained a lot with that set, because g&w with customs has so good aerial mobility it was very hard to take advantage from that. In the end it was an aerial fight where bair and metal blades did the job.
In terms of 3211 vs 1211, I took leaf shield instead of plant barrier because is faster and right now there isn't anything I can do with plant barrier that can't be done with leaf shield. Shadow blade vs Metal Blade needs more testing because both of them feel the same for my in this matchup, even when I'm completly metal blade bias I didn't see any difference in this.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I honestly have a better time against rosa with default moves. Crash Bomb makes the matchuop much easier. Regardless, the key in that matchup is getting her offstage. Once shes offstage, she should be taking a lot of damage/stocks.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Protip: D-tilt is a godsend in the Rosalina MU. It alone changed my opinion of the MU from one of Mega Man's worst match-ups, to straight-up even. D-tilt is love. D-tilt is life.

Also, some critiques on my play in my previous post would still be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I honestly have a better time against rosa with default moves. Crash Bomb makes the matchuop much easier. Regardless, the key in that matchup is getting her offstage. Once shes offstage, she should be taking a lot of damage/stocks.
what should you do when she is off stage?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGk7h9hDWSg;list=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT - Loser's finals vs Fox

I'm not at all on your level, but I did feel like Fox used his Fox Illusion a lot without getting punished.

Sometimes you can even throw out up-smash and catch him in the middle of it, and he did it at around that height several times, going just over your head. It's really fun when you catch them that way before the move even finishes.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT - Loser's round 4 vs Ness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckDkz348vWs;list=PLCuC17J0ZVjnxrMHYtJ-xI-wy2Pjs0DGT- GF's vs Rosa

@ mega4000 mega4000 because lol "default Mega vs Rosalina"

On the playlist is also a set against a Falcon, but there was a lot of MU inexperience.

Link 1 isn't on youtube anymore. fun vids to watch.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm not at all on your level, but I did feel like Fox used his Fox Illusion a lot without getting punished.

Sometimes you can even throw out up-smash and catch him in the middle of it, and he did it at around that height several times, going just over your head. It's really fun when you catch them that way before the move even finishes.
That's some really good advice and something I hadn't really thought of. I don't play against Fox often, but I definitely see what you mean by that. Usmash is a move I definitely want to use more, but I have trouble recognizing the situations that call for it.

Link 1 isn't on youtube anymore. fun vids to watch.
Fixed. The video's still there, but I guess the link got switched or something.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Can anyone watch my Mega Man replays on Wii U? I played against a few people on Smashladder who destroyed me and I didn't know how to play against their Sheik / Mario / Kirby at all because I still suck against rush down characters. I've only peaked at like 1140 rating but now I have like 1110 and the people I played with him 1200 ~ 1300 I honestly didn't think how big of a skill gap there is.

My NNID is SaintOniisan if you guys want me to send the replays but if you want me to upload it to a site like Vimeo or something then I can record it later and try to upload it.

duduh

Smash Rookie
https://youtu.be/X3AQdHQWOdk

This was the LF of a pool in which the first and the second of the pool would pass... Too bad I've played poorly (inb4 johns but I had almost a month without practice). Please rate my MM! Tell me about bad habits, bad punishes I've made... No need to talk about my first stock though lol

Although I'm not playing that much nowadays, I'd really like to improve, and I'm pretty sure you guys are able to help me! Also, check out this YT channel for more awesome brazilian matches!

TY!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
https://youtu.be/X3AQdHQWOdk

This was the LF of a pool in which the first and the second of the pool would pass... Too bad I've played poorly (inb4 johns but I had almost a month without practice). Please rate my MM! Tell me about bad habits, bad punishes I've made... No need to talk about my first stock though lol

Although I'm not playing that much nowadays, I'd really like to improve, and I'm pretty sure you guys are able to help me! Also, check out this YT channel for more awesome brazilian matches!

TY!
Actually, i have to talk about that first stock. I mean, how can i not, you where down and still managed to bring him to his second stock at 93%, it ended up being a close match.

So, no experience with Pikachu outside of FG, but tips i would give are:

When offstage, especially when sent far away, up B first, save your double jump.

When trying to land or avoid being juggled by Pikachu, Leaf Shield. Granted, it is not a "100% sure to land safely" technique, but is better than airdodging to the ground without it.

Using it as a projectile when you can also helps, and use crash bomber when you see the chance too. With the right distance, you won't get punished if you miss, and if you hit, the opponent have to react. They will either shield, roll or a combination of the two, run to stick it back at you, or jump and airdodge; watch it and react accordingly(easier said than done, i know).

Also, from a fellow BR to another, HUE

The cool set of @ Greward Greward against Pur Gars during the top 8 of Cannes Winter Clash :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeurQ1hSEEc
Oh yeah, awesome stuff by @ Greward Greward , that mega upper at the first stock of game 3, made me jump from my chair XD

Last edited:

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Hey guys,

Last weekend I played Mr.R's Sheik and Captain Falcon in friendlies. I totally got bombed :p but it still was fun to play him. I ranked 33 (out of 100) in singles, which was an improvement over my last entry (49th). I would like some feedback on my play and how to handle this High level play of Sheik and Falcon ;). I did defeated several Sheiks and Falcons during the brackets, but his characters were very crisp, to say the least :p

Vs. Sheik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW0KsXipNnk

Vs. Captain Falcon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKFGTsj5E0

Greward

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

Last weekend I played Mr.R's Sheik and Captain Falcon in friendlies. I totally got bombed :p but it still was fun to play him. I ranked 33 (out of 100) in singles, which was an improvement over my last entry (49th). I would like some feedback on my play and how to handle this High level play of Sheik and Falcon ;). I did defeated several Sheiks and Falcons during the brackets, but his characters were very crisp, to say the least :p

Vs. Sheik

Vs. Captain Falcon
Mr. R is too good. lmao

duduh

Smash Rookie
Actually, i have to talk about that first stock. I mean, how can i not, you where down and still managed to bring him to his second stock at 93%, it ended up being a close match.

So, no experience with Pikachu outside of FG, but tips i would give are:

When offstage, especially when sent far away, up B first, save your double jump.

When trying to land or avoid being juggled by Pikachu, Leaf Shield. Granted, it is not a "100% sure to land safely" technique, but is better than airdodging to the ground without it.

Using it as a projectile when you can also helps, and use crash bomber when you see the chance too. With the right distance, you won't get punished if you miss, and if you hit, the opponent have to react. They will either shield, roll or a combination of the two, run to stick it back at you, or jump and airdodge; watch it and react accordingly(easier said than done, i know).

Also, from a fellow BR to another, HUE
Yeah that first stock was pretty lame, I was pretty nervous, rushed my DJ and got derp-gimped... Had I UpB'ed safe to the ledge, the game would have been another.. Also, I'm not used to the Leaf Shield, it's kinda like the forbidden move for me LOL but I know I should do some weird stuff like Reverse DownB while being juggled, it's just the lack of a practice (inb4 johns but I only have 3DS, living in a crappy city without players with a crappy internet, and the last time I played offline before this tournament was a month before it).

Nice to know I have a BR fellow in here! Don't you know about our brazilian forum, 1upsmash? You should check it out, deppending on where you're from, you should deffinitively go to our tournaments, our scene is growing more than ever!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Nice to know I have a BR fellow in here! Don't you know about our brazilian forum, 1upsmash? You should check it out, deppending on where you're from, you should deffinitively go to our tournaments, our scene is growing more than ever!
Going to my first one next month actually, Smash PhD i believe. Really looking forward to it.
Just created an account on 1upsmash yesterday(and yeah, i found smashboards before knowing about it XD).

guess ill be posting here too
Had to stop and do a double take to realize who it was, but hell yeah StylesX2! lol

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey guys,

Vs. Sheik

Vs. Captain Falcon
Can't really tell you much to improve on. You got outplayed hard. We've all been in those situations where we're so desperately trying to reset the match to neutral that that mistakes keep flowing in. I did notice the Sheik only stayed on the ground when you whiffed a laggy attack. That said, I guess you'll have to work on your pattern recognition. Everyone has them, even those players that mask them very well.

Top Bottom