• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doules with Lucas?

c3gill

Smash Ace
Doubles Tourny. PK Mag + anyone with energy projectiles= free health. So I propose this question upon the Lucas crowd- Who is Lucas' best teammate in doules, and WHY.

My Initial thoughts were-

Ness- other than being awesome at complementing each other, Lucas PK Fires to keep opponents at a distance, and Ness PK Flash, to either heal Lucas or slaughter incoming opponents. and they give each other free health!

Zelda- same concept, Lucas PK Firing to keep opponents away, with Zelda behind him using Dins Fire constantly. and she gives him free health.

Pikachu- Thunder spam= awesome. Lucas can get massive health back, and it can still be used as a KO move on opponents.

Generally im not a doules guy- but I am sure it will come up, and I would like to know. so for my curiosity,would anyone with experience or capable of a thought process tell me- Who and Why?

Levitas

the moon
Lucas likes to keep people away from him in doubles as much as possible. it's important to have a teammate that can handle 2 on 1 as a result.

The energy absorbing thing is cool, but it's only for when the other team is on their last or last 2 stocks (your 2 on their 1) in which case you're already winning.

MK and Pika are good. One time, I teamed w/ anther in a friendly against some people (idk who) and we won despite him walking away midway through his last stock (something like 2/3 through the game). The opponents of course KO'd him and then actually picked up his controller and stole my remaining stock, but in the time that they spent killing the uncontrolled pika, I KO'd one of them. We actually won that game, lol.

It's nice to have a teammate that can KO and can handle characters like G&W, marth, and MK. PK fire is more effective in doubles. Always do the pairing where lucas will survive for longer, because he can actually tank. (ie if their team is G&W and falco, lucas should avoid G&W and try to occupy the falco)

Menk

Smash Cadet
As good as getting free health sounds, it's really hard to pull off well. Pikachu sounds pretty good, Ness maybe. Me and my friend have been trying Olimar/Lucas lately and it works really well btw... Lucas can't get health from Oli but Olimar's throw (since he can get a grab way too easily ^^) into Lucas's Usmash is great. Get the opponent down to one and you basically have the game won.

Also, I'd look into teaming with Rob. We can absorb his Neutral B right? Lazor, Top, PK Fire, and PK Thunder would be annoying as hell to get through.

Levitas

the moon
Camping is bad in doubles as a general rule. Edge camping with characters that are good at it require both of them to do it (and pretty much be MK).

Camping with projectiles is bad because the opponent has on average half the distance to cross as a maximum as in singles. So even if they back off, they have half the ground to cover to get to you, and you have to do it to two people.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Ness and Lucas are an excellent team.. they just compliment each other very well. They can heal each other, aid in the other's recovery, and create a wall of PSI that can be extrememly annoying to get through if done correctly. Yesterday I PK Crossed Flashed one of our opponent's into my teammate's Up Smash. :laugh:

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Try Ice Climbers. If they do an aerial Side-B (Which makes both Popo and Nana use blizzard in the same direction) you recover 90% damage. If you can recover with this regularly, you might never die for the whole match. XD

Are ICs good in 2v2s though?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If IC's can get uninterrupted chaingrabs, then yes. If not, they're only decent.
Not the best partner, though.

c3gill

Smash Ace
If IC's can get uninterrupted chaingrabs, then yes. If not, they're only decent.
Im obviously inexperienced in 2v2s, hence me starting this thread.... but arent CGs much less useful in a 2v2 situation? Seems like they are so much more preventable, A partner can always save you if your getting CGed.....

I guess this goes out the window in a 2v1 situation, where one person(of the 2) could just taunt and giggle while the other CGs the final person.

Levitas

the moon
In a 2 v 1 situation, ICs aren't needed to infinite the opponent.

Grab release to teammate grab release to grab release, just stand facing each other and it's ggs. Finish with a lucas usmash for style points.

c3gill

Smash Ace
i meant in a normal 2v2 situation..... arent CGs basically worthless? Opponents partner could just come and whack you, and no more CG.

And as Levitas said, no need for a CG in a 2v1 situation... So isnt the ability to CG basically useless in doubles? Maybe situationally useful....

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
I'm inexperienced with Doubles myself, but I usually team with someone that can heal Lucas quickly (Pika/IC), or someone that compliments Lucas pretty well. Therefore, I usually team with Pikachu or MK, occasionally Ness, cuz in those rare situations, we both end up offstage, and hit each other's PK Thunder.

Levitas

the moon
I use whoever I feel like using.

Last time, I got in as a substitute for someone who had to leave. I asked him who he wanted me to play as, so I ended up going MK. I asked the other team who I should play as for game 2, and ended up snake.

It was funny.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Sometimes I don't think it's who your partner picks as the character to team with. Regardless of your teammate it's how they perform. I teamed with a kid named poltergust who's a really good Yoshi, buthe kept choking hard at this one tournament I went to. Kept saying sorry for attacking me by accident, wasn't really confident.

I don't know, maybe all my teammates are just choke-worthy. :/

been meaning to find a solid teammate, but nothing good so far.
I really want to find a good zelda partner but ehhhh.

Chuee

Smash Hero
I teamed with a kid named poltergust who's a really good Yoshi, buthe kept choking hard at this one tournament
I know that guy.
And IC's can be useful in doubles. As long as one opponent has no projectiles you can distract and keep the opponent away from the other being CGed.
Also try D3 in teams.
D3 dgrab ---> Lucas continous dtilt ----> D3 regrab and dgrab Just keep doing that and finish with usmash ;)

tsilver33

Smash Ace
Honestly, I find Lucas and Bowser to be a great pair.

Lucas tends to be the character who racks up damage, but can't really knock people out very easily. Bowser can.

Bowser can't move quickly enough. Lucas can. Bowser also has a small advantage, because he can heal Lucas.

heytallman

CTALL
I'm not too experienced in 2v2 play, but I would guess Mr. Game and Watch would make a fairly decent teammate. Although he cannot heal you, you can fill his bucket up fully with a single PK Thunder (tailwhips fill up the bucket), or a combination of any of his PK moves. In some situations, you may be able to camp a bit and throw out some PK freeze, which will cause your opponent to dodge it, shield it, or eat it, whilst G&W can bucket it, with a few PK freezes, the bucket will **** anyone in it's path.

Also, isn't Game & Watch the best character in teams anyway? So that's like having a plus on your side anyway.

Other characters who would probably team well would be....basically anyone with an absorbable attack. Ness, Zamus, Falco, others would probably work well.

But I tried double Lucas once, it failed hard LOL

prOAPC

Smash Lord
so, i'm going to my first doubles tournament and i was practicing with my teammate APN some stuff, he's going to use Ness :) We were studying situations where we both could recover, and it looks like we can recover from 60% to 90% per match (obviously, Lucas recover more), is that good or bad?
btw, our team is called "APK"... got it? APC...APN...PK...

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
wow a thread where i can offer a lot of help in, i can't believe i didn't see this till now. i teamed w/ a lucas, a lucario, and a pit, all of which worked very well. My teammate that i go w/ to tournaments mains Lucario, his name is Fury. we've healed 528% in one match against Rogue Pit (number 2 in PA) and his partner Chibo (number 4 in PA, mains ROB). I ended the match w/ 3 lives, 8%!!

LUCARIO ~ IMO, Lucario is a really good teammate for lucas bc not only will he be able to heal you every chance you get, but he lives long and becomes stronger as the match goes on. With lucario being a tank and being able to heal you, lucas then becomes a tank as well. The main focus for a lucas/lucario team is of course to heal, so ideally you would want to play on FD and use a stage like PS1 as your CP. When it comes down to a 2 on 1 (in your favor) the lucas should fight while the lucario just runs away. Lucas racks up the damage and can throw the opponent off the stage, when you throw the opponent off the stage the lucas should immediately run over to the lucario and start healing instead of trying to gimp/spike the person. remember, your goal is to keep lucas at 0% as much as possible. The opponent is going to get so fed up w/ lucario that he's going to be very aggressive towards him so once he is w/in killing range all the lucario has to do is shield grab and foward throw him into a lucas Usmash for a stylish, yet effective win. If you are the one in the disadvantage in the 2 on 1 then you weren't healing enough and you were most likely playing too wreckless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEMdfOVZv7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tmn7FxlhUg&feature=related

PIT ~ W/ pit as your partner, the object remains the same. Try to keep lucas at 0% as much as possible. When it becomes a 2 on 1 in the end, Pit is a much better camper then lucario bc pit can ledge camp and spam arrows which messes up the opponent. If you have a pit main on your team whose arrow accuracy is insane, then he can hit you w/ an arrow if you try to recover and can't reach, then you can get a second up B. don't say that this is impossible bc i've done this several times w/ Smurf (number 8 from PA).

Lucas ~ well, not much to say here other than the fact that two lucas's on one team is just crazy w/ pkf everywhere and quick heals w/ PK freeze. It's also hilarious when you both lucas's do a dtilt to an apponent reapeatedly almost trapping them in it and then finishing w/ a ftilt when their damage gets to like 200% w/in seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEu5RP_jofc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQRnc_B88wg&feature=related

ROB ~ i don't have much insight into this team but i did however randomly team w/ a ROB and these are some vids i got from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNwvnS6Q3Dk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWpoQ_J55s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pitFPrpajlI&feature=related (We are the Red team in this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Cuj861RYM&feature=related (We are the Red team again)

Sry for the vids that are poor quality.

Top Bottom