• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles and You, a Comprehensive Guide to 2v2s

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Why is MK just a 7 in stock tanking? He can sacrifice his damage output and punishing capibilities to take a ledge and actually stock tank (plank) like a pro.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
MK should be a 9.
Not only can he plank and punish when used defensively, he also have the range and priority to safely keep him self alive while being offensive. Defiantly higher than a 7.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Not...really...
The whole point of stock tanking is to...keep stocks (obv) while STILL CONTRIBUTING. If MK takes up a ledge, a smart team will just leave him alone. Really, a 7 is perfect. He's light. He'll die early. Planking = / = stock tanking.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The whole point of stock tanking is keeping stocks. DK is a good stocktank with his momentum cancelling upb, but it leaves him recovering all the time. Good contribution, dude.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Not...really...
The whole point of stock tanking is to...keep stocks (obv) while STILL CONTRIBUTING. If MK takes up a ledge, a smart team will just leave him alone. Really, a 7 is perfect. He's light. He'll die early. Planking = / = stock tanking.
m2k + zucco was the best example of this

RWB

Smash Ace
My brother plays an aggressive Marth, and I wonder which of my "better characters" is best suited to back Marth up.

Lucario(Doubt it)
Donkey Kong
Wario

I guess Wario?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Donkey Kong would most likely get in the way, even though he's an amazing punisher. He would be a nice option on a stage like Final Destination, but I wouldn't rely on him on many other stages aside from that. Smashville too, I suppose, but even there it's a bit of a risk.

Lucario isn't a bad option, but considering he lacks decent kill potential until up in percentages, I wouldn't rely on him but so much either. He's better for strategical teams where camping and gimmicks are viable. The only thing I can see Lucario being much use for is down+B if Marth is sweeping the stage with Fairs, that way Lucario will just slide behind and under him, considering he should be airborne or spaced far enough away to not get hit. Another one, could work the same was as me and my old doubles partner did with Samus/Marth. Charged Shot -> Counter. Deals a lot of knockback fully charged. Helpful if your partner is getting ganged up on and you're not close to him. Either the opponent gets hit or your partner does. Dodges are going to get hit with the counter once the charged shot (or Aura Sphere in this case) is countered.

Wario, definantly the best choice. The opponent's best options of avoiding an aggressive Marth is to air dodge through him or rolling behind him. Wario can punish both extremely well if he just air camps and punishes and stays behind Marth remainder of the time. If you decide to break the bike in half, Marth has some amazing potential by reverse glide tossing -> whatever attack fits the situation. Not to mention, Wario is a very decent camper, so he won't get in Marth's way and he'll do much better with the punishing factor that way. Waft is extremely useful with that team.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
I think this thread should be split up and started from the ground up in each of the character boards. Have them talk about team specific combos or gimmicks etc. then put it all back together in one big thread like this one here.

just a thought

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
Basiclly. I think starting each one with the explination with teams (Roles in teams and such) would help to provide a base for people looking to pitch in. Good to see some chars. already started :)

When you think about it, there are a **** ton of possible team combinations, which would take a long time to explain. It wouldn't be right to put all that work onto dekar, even with his great knowledge in the doubles meta-game.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
This is basically like a character index. Each board should discuss the characters that they work well with and this thread should have a link to each of those threads within the OP. Pretty much like it was recommended. I know that the Falcon Boards started a doubles thread as well.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
My brother plays an aggressive Marth, and I wonder which of my "better characters" is best suited to back Marth up.

Lucario(Doubt it)
Donkey Kong
Wario

I guess Wario?
If your partner is an Aggro anything, Lucario is definitely NOT your partner of choice. He's meant to 2vs1 the opposing team while his partner either stock tanks or is Meta Knight. :V

Go Wario and stock tank.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Fox probably needs to be higher he racks up at least 20+ damage per punish and gets guaranteed kills over 110 off punishments. He can be at the aid of his teammate almost immediately as well, with his up smash drill and dash speed its not hard to punish your opponent grabbing your partner . Arguably he mops up all the messes left behind by your teammate.

he may not be a great carrier or stock tank but I have to say he deserves a 10 in the other categories, if he is teamed with a character like MK snake or marth he goes a long way.

Not to mention he has insanely fast healing if teamed with certain characters and the speed you fill G&W bucket is amazing too. he also has forced approach gimmicks with snakes crawl (snake crouches in front of fox while fox spams lasers forcing approach while snake f tilts any thing remotely close to him).

MJG

Smash Hero
Oh Dekar...I would gladly take this thread over for you but I feel that you should finish it since it is your thread ;P

Anyways, I thought I would post some videos if anyone wanted to see how TL works in doubles. His strategy is pretty simple.

Listing when each match was played incase people want to view certain videos over other videos.

Just normal sets within Winners Bracket:

Set 1

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8AfjIuJ8Vo&playnext_from=TL&videos=utt0n0S272g

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2OVSDJdwg&playnext_from=TL&videos=y-bMYzKqHj0

Set 2

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQF-hIbO6dU

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgekwGh_Zc

**Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNe_9kNaI8

Winners Finals

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF0d92s_kKc

**Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVFcY6S32Y

Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCjp36KCMQE

Grand Finals:

**Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsP4HC6CjvU

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI6Mjvg1-b8 (lol MK)

Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1eAI5hZG4M

***Asteriks display TLs potential more so than most other vids listed***

These videos show how much interference Toonlinks Projectiles are and how much they can help. Zair is great in doubles as well and especially in 2v1 situations because it has enough stun to the point where your teammate can follow up with pretty much anything they want. It is also a safe way to get your teammate out of a grab.

Toon Link Mains still can't go wild with projectiles. If you watch the videos, you will see that I was not consitent with my projectile placement. Caution still needs to be taken into consideration or you can cause your opponent to receive a great deal of damage or you could aid in the ending of their stock.

:toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink: :toonlink:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Fox might work well with other characters, but he's still extremely limited and needs babysitting against a lot of characters, especially in doubles. If he wasn't subjected to a lot of combos due to his fastfalling, I would say he deserves higher for his 'carrying' potential, but eh.

DPS deserves an 8-10, so I have no objections with the OP.
As a punisher, 8 seems fine too. He's got options, but he's no MK.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
he certainly seems underrated to me

and considering almost every team will have MK on it it isn't a huge leap of faith to assume he will get the babysitting he needs.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
If people are out to win money, yeah. They almost ALWAYS have Meta Knight in their team combination. Wario/MK has to be my favorite team with MK, though.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
MK snake isn't actually that great of a team compared to double MK, MK Wario, MK GnW, etc.

The only MK Snake team that actually wins is M2K and Ally.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Agreed. The main reason M2K and Ally make it work is because well... they're two of the best players around. They're so good by themselves that they don't even NEED to support each other but so much.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i love how for punish moves for GnW

it says touch your controller XD

IMO top 4 teams

MK/MK
MK/Wario
MK/GnW
ZSS/GnW

unless i'm missing something

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
All I said was nationally that is the team that is winning, you can't argue data.

but there are probably better teams which I will agree upon

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Oh, I know. I agree with you too. That's because majority of the top players use either MK or Snake as a main or back-up secondary. It's definantly one of the most used teams.

IMO top 4 teams

MK/MK
MK/Wario
MK/GnW
ZSS/GnW
I can definantly agree on ZSS being a top character team character because she creates so many gimmicks. Although I believe there's better punishers than G&W. ZSS/Snake even works well.

Something that can work in less than two-three seconds --
(ZSS) Downsmash -> (Snake) Plant C4 -> (Snake) Footstool -> (ZSS) Up Tilt -> (Snake) Set off C4.

I don't think there's a single character that she can't create some ridiculous gimmicks with -- ones that even work during the middle of a 2v2, rather than just a 2v1.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
ZSS/GnW is not one of the top 4, or probably even top 10 teams.

ffs Lucario/MK is a better team than ZSS/GnW. :V

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
lucas isn't great in teams though

gimmicks are great but you need prequisites to work them, if you can't meet them its pointless

Top Bottom