• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

hubble

Smash Ace
been playing off lane solo (rather than main support) lately. pretty interesting position except for when no one wants to help me ward the pull before 00:30.

whats new with you guys?

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I have had such horrible luck playing carries in pubs lately, even with my friends
I virtually always get the hardest lane in the game, even when I go bottom
I played bounty hunter and laned bot against lich/vs, and at 20 minutes in 4/5 of the other team had dust
wtf try hards O.O

that's why I prefer jungling, I get to gank whomever I please and I get to farm my brains out

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I have had such horrible luck playing carries in pubs lately, even with my friends
I virtually always get the hardest lane in the game, even when I go bottom
I played bounty hunter and laned bot against lich/vs, and at 20 minutes in 4/5 of the other team had dust
wtf try hards O.O

that's why I prefer jungling, I get to gank whomever I please and I get to farm my brains out
My last 5 games I've played where I was mid I was against duo and trio mids. =/ Really rough if you're melee. (Heroes I played were DK, SF, Invoker, and Rhasta)
I've never been ganked so much in my life as that Rhasta game. Lvl 1 gank. Then I have to camp the tower at lvl 2. Then lvl 3. End the game with a score of 9-19-2. =/ We still won though because everytime they ganked me the rest of my team managed get free towers.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
My last 5 games I've played where I was mid I was against duo and trio mids. =/ Really rough if you're melee. (Heroes I played were DK, SF, Invoker, and Rhasta)
I've never been ganked so much in my life as that Rhasta game. Lvl 1 gank. Then I have to camp the tower at lvl 2. Then lvl 3. End the game with a score of 9-19-2. =/ We still won though because everytime they ganked me the rest of my team managed get free towers.
that is the problem I've had. I've been having not only unwinnable lanes but lanes that are so bad you leave either feeding or very low level and farm, and my team does not gank, push their lanes, or even win their lanes significantly

and if that is the early game then it is virtually auto lose

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
that is the problem I've had. I've been having not only unwinnable lanes but lanes that are so bad you leave either feeding or very low level and farm, and my team does not gank, push their lanes, or even win their lanes significantly

and if that is the early game then it is virtually auto lose
Playing SEA and Hong Kong is harder than i thought :(

But thats pretty much all i've been playing =/ Freaking aL. Hilarious people. Great players. But the lag. :(

edit: Meat http://www.z33k.com/games/dota2/tournaments/7142-ecal-america-qualifier-1

Next hero is Treant Protector

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Gonna be hopping on soon to do some match making if anyone would like to join me

Lovage

Smash Hero
random Q:

if 4 people TP onto a tower in a row, is each TP delayed or something? this happened to me once where i had two really long TP's in a row to mid tower for some reason.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
random Q:

if 4 people TP onto a tower in a row, is each TP delayed or something? this happened to me once where i had two really long TP's in a row to mid tower for some reason.
Yeah the tps are delayed after the first one.

This way people can't get completely screwed for solo pushing.

edit:

About shadow demon.

Fantastic hero. I love him. He has one of the strongest lvl 1 engagements out of any hero. Let's just take a look at his moveset.

First Disruption. A 2.5 second disable. That's HUGE. That is a lot. It creates two illusions, if you can place yourself correctly you can block the person with the illusions and your body, and those illusions do damage too. This move scales into the lategame. If you use this on a lycan with his ult on and you wham. You have two illusions of lycan at haste speed that hurt. This move is the reason that SD is considered a soft counter to AM. Since antimages orb propogates to his illusions you can use this to drain ams mana and then drain his teams mana with it.

Second, Soul catcher. This ability. Oh. My. God. It offers so much damage. It's a damage modifer where the damage is pure. The only reason this move isn't ridiculously over powered is that you cannot select who it goes onto. It goes onto a random target in the area of effect. (Though you can place this effectively to have more control). If you pair SD with a veno or lesh or any strong roamer. This ability will make early roaming so amazing.

Third. Poison. This move is great. It allows for some good lane control and a lot of damage if you get enough stacks. However, I don't think its worth taking over Disruption or Soul catcher. It's a really good move, just not as good as the other abilities.

His ultimate is a purge. If you are against an omniknight GRAB SHADOW DEMON. It makes team fights amazing for you. This purge slows and deals damage at the very end(AKA time to get soul catcher and poison stacks).

Now shadow demon can do a good amount of roles. He can jungle, he can support, and he can solo. He's really versatile.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
his purge also goes through bkb, which is massive

shadow demon is one of the strongest solo mid heroes and is also one of the strongest dual lane heroes, maybe even stronger than maiden

he is one of the best level 1 heroes to have when doing a teamfight in the pre-game ward off in the enemy/your jungle, because anybody caught out of position is getting disrupted which allows your team to get in position around them. he can also save teammates using it and dodge spells.

high cast range on disruption means you can cancel channeling ultimates such as black hole and freezing field

not really item dependent but is a great mek/arcane boot carrier

my team ran leshrac/sd middle as a dual lane today and obviously won the lane very dramatically. allowed us to push the tower in 5 minutes after a 3 minute top tower push with my jungle enigma and top solo broodmother (we were dire). starting that strong virtually ends the game in 5 minutes.
--------------------

I just wanna talk real quickly with you guys about the importance of towers. This didn't become the case (afaik) until around the time of the international 1, but if you can't defend and take towers, you can't win the game. period. Even in pubs, if you let a tower fall to a solo hero pushing, ESPECIALLY if they only have auto attack to effectively push, you've screwed up badly. No tower should take damage without a tp *unless* you are trading towers. Tank up the creep wave with your body to save tower damage. Aggro the wave and pull it back behind your tower to meet your next wave so that your tower doesn't take unnecessary damage. If you are playing rhasta or enigma or lesh etc, look for opportunities to use your skills to push. Smoke gank a lane with a solo (or easy double kill dual lane) knowing that even if you fail to get the kill, they can't stop you from taking the tower. Your supports are very reliant on early tower gold to get their important early game items (mana boots, wards, soul ring, mek, etc) and their strength through an early key item makes your team and futures pushes much better.
also, see on the map where pushes are likely to come. As a long lane player, if you see that there are two creep waves coming, that means they pulled in order to stack their waves and they intend to push your tower. This *also* means there is a high chance you are getting smoke ganked from behind or they will try to kill you from the front as well as take your tower. Tell your team immediately to send an anti pusher to help protect your tower, and check your minimap to make sure all enemy heroes are accounted for. If there is a veno or maiden missing and/or they have a jungle hero such as chen or enchantress, you need to back out of that lane asap. If they turn up on map and you can safely aggro the creeps behind your tower, DO IT. Your tower will likely take 200+ damage but that's insanely better than losing it completely.

if anybody wants to be a support or jungle player, you should get in touch with me. You can watch me scrim or play with me and I will teach you anything you want to know. Just ask why I'm doing what I'm doing while I'm doing it and I can explain.

my specialties are micro heroes, warding, ganking, and strategy in general. if you want help with any of these come talk to me. Sinz and I both have a pretty strong grasp of the game so any of you who strive to become pro or just want to improve in general have no excuse for not doing so other than your own laziness. We are good resources--use us

I sincerely believe that dota is the greatest competitive game ever made. Could even be higher skill requirement than starcraft simply because in dota you must rely on TEAMWORK and having 5 people who all make the correct decision at the correct time is more difficult than maintaining 200+apm for 30 minutes IMO

plus there are so many more variables that go into a dota game. Hero matchups, item choices, neutral spawns, rune spawns, how you aggro creeps, mistakes made by players, using fog to juke, cutting down trees to juke, how many/which consumables you buy, where you ward, when and if people can counter ward, roshan, creep stacking, etc.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
games were good yall. :)

as usual game screens posted. (i forgot who justescaper is on here D:)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
OGRE MAGI IS THE NEXT HERO.

I'm so ****ing excited for all the multicasts.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Who all would be up for making a group tonight and doing some mm?

Turazrok

Smash Master
I dislike how often my dota2 crashes and refuses to start. It's happened two many times

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You can swap to grid view, sure, just you then can't see what your or the opposing team have picked.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
So information on the games character cosmetics have been dug up and already there's some concerned faces.

Personally I love the look of the game, and understand that Valve need to make money. But they've done such great work on the game so far, it'll be a shame if they start adding in ridiculous costumes that clash with the art style, game lore and feel of the game.

A lot of people disliking the Ursa Alpine/Cowboy hat look.

http://www.cyborgmatt.com/2012/05/dota-2-30th-may-item-schema-update/

Most of the items, I don't mind.
But I hope there's some restraint on Valves part. DotA2 is getting mad competitive. Even in pubs I don't want to see bright pink Queen of Pain, or Chef hat Butcher Pudge, Nurse outfit Lina (or maybe I do).

Of course this can all be dealt with by adding in a "Turn off all cosmetics" button, for tournament play and the like.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Oh man. Valve, I like the idea, I even like the current situation with crazy stuff for TF2 (the game's based on some crazy lore) but that's a bit much for a medieval-based game.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Of course this can all be dealt with by adding in a "Turn off all cosmetics" button, for tournament play and the like.

I'm excited to see tonight's update though, test build was pushed back as its supposed to be large and in charge. I'd expect that either means multiple heroes or the shop/item system.

Vyke

Smash Champion
I don't really see the problem with the cosmetic junk. It's cosmetic... I mean, you're really going to take a game proven be competitive already not seriously because something is wearing something different or goofy?

If it really does affect the Dota 2 community to the point that it gets an uproar then I'mma facepalm, lol.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Honestly there is the choice to turn it off so I don't see what the big deal is.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
In game shop has been added, anything you buy now will always be with you. 200+ Items are currently in the shop. http://www.dota2.com/spoilsofwar/

Also (re)confirmation that all heroes will always be open because limiting your ability to pick characters in a game based on building a team with diverse characters is silly.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
My first hero was syllabear in dota 1. Still loving him.

My thing I would do with him that I thought was sooooo awesome was I bought rings of health and shifted them between my bear and I.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Awesome, but none of my heroes have anything just yet. Ah well.

Top Bottom