• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Lovage

Smash Hero
miharu/any good players

what is my mentality when dealing with something as lubricious as faceless void's ult. i just learned last game that his ult still stuns you if you walk into it AFTER HE casts it holy **** that's an insane spell.

what are the "counters?" are there good item choices i can make vs. a scary void? is it just positioning? there isn't anything like that in league. and in league there's the QSS which is a big *** cleanse for like 1400g

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
If a Void jumps directly in with the intention of throwing up his ult there's little to avoid it short of a quick blink or force staff out the instant you see the jump in.

Mainly it comes down to positioning. If you're pushing with your team, don't clump together. That way he won't catch out the whole team, and the ones left over can stun Void, force staff out mates(?), swap etc.
The sphere doesn't last tooo long, so a stun/hex usually suffices to last out the ult + Void has pants DPS early even when pubs go MoM.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
^ This.

miharu/any good players

what is my mentality when dealing with something as lubricious as faceless void's ult. i just learned last game that his ult still stuns you if you walk into it AFTER HE casts it holy **** that's an insane spell.

what are the "counters?" are there good item choices i can make vs. a scary void? is it just positioning? there isn't anything like that in league. and in league there's the QSS which is a big *** cleanse for like 1400g
Void is one of the best late-game carries out there. So trying to end the game ASAP should be the main idea, Void can't do anything against early pushing.

Yeah, his ultimate is strong, and it works against magic immune heroes as well, what the heck! The mind-set should be positioning, avoid clumping too much or you will be destroyed. Place good wards so you can see when Void is planning to initiate.

Disable him. I know, during the duration of Chronosphere it will be hell. But if you didn't clump and just 1 or 2 heroes got caught inside then you should have enough disables to deal with him. SD's Disruption is a great disable, he can put Faceless Void out, or in case he got a good ultimate out and placed a perfect Chronosphere so his ranged teammates can mop you down, you can just disrupt your ally under enemy-fire.

I think, it's more about out-playing your enemy team early game and pushing to win. Knowing when Void is coming so everybody is not sticking close together.

Just practice a lot and with time you will not see it as a problem anymore!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also helps that it affects his allies (and towers!) so if you think he's coming, depending very much on the situation of course, don't run too far from any real close range heroes. Stay there and have him stun the both instead of just you and have the ranged smacking you silly too.

hubble

Smash Ace
miharu/any good players

dota is very similar to melee: don't get hit.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
They accidentally set CM's nova to a 1k radius for damage effect in test client, looks hilarious.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I guess that would make her good

(obvious sarcasm...)

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
miharu/any good players

you need to recognize when it's a good time for him to ulty. I specialize in big ultimate teamfight supports (enigma, sand king, earthshaker, etc) and I play them often in scrims with my team. Because of my skill at seeing the opportunity, I'm very good at avoiding them. When there is a predictable team fight/push coming, and void is out of vision, then you need to spread out. If you're a support hero or have a useful disable with the range to stop him, then it is absolutely your responsibility to make sure and be on damage control. If you're vs, for example, this could be as easy as swapping out an important hero/void himself to minimize your losses. If you're bane, enfeeble or nightmare him. If you're invoker, throw a deafening blast in there, etc. If you are able to do anything to his team to make sure it's only void doing damage during his ulty, do that too. walk around the outskirts of the chronosphere and stop his teammates from nuking/flanking/etc.

DJRome

Smash Hero
force staff is pretty good vs void ult and in general vs melee dps. if ur support/utility, stay back and if he ults ur team, force him to remove his focus on the people caught in the ult. if you have a silence, u can sometimes silence him when he jumps given quick enough reaction time.

btw, i'll be playing a lot next week so if anyone wants to get some 5 man teams to pub with or even get enough for 10, that would be excellent

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
lovageeee why won't you play with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
can i report you for making me sad?

edit: that is directed at the mods.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So many things can be beaten by proper team positioning. Void's ult isn't nearly as good as tide or root's ults, though it is pretty good.

edit- yeah lovage you should have played with us. I'm relearning the game myself but i get the basics, so i figure were basically in the same boat. Sinz is pretty good and carries the team if/when we need it

wezai

Smash Journeyman
force staff is pretty good vs void ult and in general vs melee dps. if ur support/utility, stay back and if he ults ur team, force him to remove his focus on the people caught in the ult. if you have a silence, u can sometimes silence him when he jumps given quick enough reaction time.

btw, i'll be playing a lot next week so if anyone wants to get some 5 man teams to pub with or even get enough for 10, that would be excellent
Force Staff doesn't work on any unit inside Chronosphere or Black Hole. It used to in older patches.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
I will play with you guys Joe but I play with my team every day from ~noon-5-6 pm and at night I play with a pretty solid core group of friends

there really is never a time that I'm on and I don't have 3+ people to play with

since school ended I am playing 8ish hours a day and taking this **** super serious
really hope I can go pro or I'm gunna feel pretty dumb

I would be MUCH more interested in doing inhouses than pubs

wezai

Smash Journeyman
^ I'm interested on seeing Team DK playing. They couldn't make it to The International because they couldn't get their visas I guess? So now they can redeem themselves and prove to everyone why they are worth it, they are the best Chinese team IMO. I wanna see them play. c:

It will be interesting seeing aL playing, specially when bleak plays Silencer or some not so much used carries in this meta.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
aL just got their invite to the International 2, aw yeah.
Snoopy was such a ***** on skype when he got it. I was talking to him and he goes all. "Hey Avril, You wanna know you suck?"

"Why"

"My team just got our invite.**** you. I win."

"That's nice."

Then he proceeds to go on and sing Complicated.

He always ****ing sings songs by Avril Lavigne. It makes me so sad. But so happy.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Is there any way i can quickly learn the more intricate stuff about DotA 2.

I'm familiar with all general moba concepts, and have enough experience to know about each champion and their role/what they do.

What I don't know is stuff like when to buy smoke, how to use wards correctly based on gamestate, when teams can and will go for rosh, is it possible to make a good teamcomp without a cookie cutter initiator? (enigma, tidehunter, sand king, pudge-not so much him)

And I really don't wanna spend 100's of games trying to learn this stuff, as each singular game won't really help me on this in any meaningful way.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace

I'm familiar with all general moba concepts, and have enough experience to know about each champion and their role/what they do.

What I don't know is stuff like when to buy smoke, how to use wards correctly based on gamestate, when teams can and will go for rosh, is it possible to make a good teamcomp without a cookie cutter initiator? (enigma, tidehunter, sand king, pudge-not so much him)

And I really don't wanna spend 100's of games trying to learn this stuff, as each singular game won't really help me on this in any meaningful way.
....you will need to play 100's of games to learn this stuff. I have played for 5-6 years and I am the hard support/jungler for my team. I have tons of league caliber game experience and know the intricacies of warding. I can help you learn but you're going to have to go pretty far out of your way to extract the knowledge out of me.
What I mean by that is it will take 10-20 games for me to show you the majority of warding situations, and it is done so through high skilled games, not really pubs. Probably the best way I could show you would be for you to observe some of the clanwars I play in and sitting in our teamspeak/skype call while we play. We can watch the replay postgame and I will explain why I warded in those particular spots at those particular times.

This goes for any of you. I am willing to help you improve but I already play quite a bit every day so there's not a lot of opportunity for me to play with you. But I can explain things for you in-game.

I'm about to play right now. Anybody who wants to play should message me on skype (lwoodyard08)

hubble

Smash Ace

see i could tell you some general rules, but at the end of the day it wont really matter because you are looking at the game the wrong way. this game has way too many variables for you to quickly figure it out in any way. experience + teamwork is the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

D

Deleted member

Do what I do: Create a lobby, make a random password, set it so bots fill in all unused player spots, pick a spot, start the game, and practice with the bots.

Miharu

Smash Hero

just play play play; there really is no substitute for this unless your aptitude for learning is inhuman

try to play with people that are better than you, and always look to play higher skilled games versus pubs

ask questions, soak in as much info as u can since dota is a game that will reward u disproportionately (relative to other games) based on how much you know

DJRome

Smash Hero
i kind of came to the conclusion that i don't really know what kind of questions i should be asking myself during gameplay. like in smash, going autopilot is really bad so you should be trying to figure out what your opponent's patterns and your gameplan is, but im not really sure what kind of questions, etc i should be asking in dota. i do find that if i put my opponent on doing a certain thing, i get really good results if i end up being right. mostly it's just random stuff such as warding up a certain area where ganks are likely to go one way or the other, going into jungle to gank people "missing" during laning or mid game farming phases, but i assume there is not much else to do but just play more to get a better idea of how people play and what they are likely to be doing

Lovage

Smash Hero
how do you get towers to stop hitting you when there are other creeps around? i just saw singsing do it and it looked like he spammed S first idk if that matters.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
force attacking an allied unit makes the tower perform another priority check, so as long as you wouldn't be getting attacked again by your current position it'll attack something else. You can do this to your own creeps, they don't need to be low enough for you to actually attack them.

Miharu

Smash Hero
i kind of came to the conclusion that i don't really know what kind of questions i should be asking myself during gameplay. like in smash, going autopilot is really bad so you should be trying to figure out what your opponent's patterns and your gameplan is, but im not really sure what kind of questions, etc i should be asking in dota. i do find that if i put my opponent on doing a certain thing, i get really good results if i end up being right. mostly it's just random stuff such as warding up a certain area where ganks are likely to go one way or the other, going into jungle to gank people "missing" during laning or mid game farming phases, but i assume there is not much else to do but just play more to get a better idea of how people play and what they are likely to be doing
you should always have a reason for all of your actions

always ask yourself when you died/misplayed/**** up/whatever before you ask someone about it cuz an answer you arrive to by yourself (whether its right or wrong) will stick with you longer, whereas if someone just tells you what to do the knowledge might not be as long lasting

now of course this is easier said than done (not to mention extremely difficult when it comes to doing new stuff that you have no idea how to do), but always make the attempt to try to figure it out yourself before you go to guides/other people for advice; you'll find that you learn a lot faster and better that way

and oscar just aclick on allied units

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wish I knew that allied unit trick before, beats running out of tower range and back.

DJRome

Smash Hero
also, is there a list of things that dodge other spells/attacks? such as what types of spells a blink/invis/etc will dodge and what types of magic immunity dodges don't block certain spells?

Miharu

Smash Hero
all magic immunity is the same

theres just a number of spells that go through, gonna list them off the top of my head here

roar
swap
fiend's grip
doom
chrono
overgrowth
lifebreak
walrus punch
berserker's call
dismember
reverse polarity
entangle
stone gaze
global silence
black hole
rain of chaos
shadow demon purge
ice wall
reaper's scythe

also any type of bash goes thru magic immunity

the primary effects of all of these spells will trigger through bkb, but no damage is dealt

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
blink dodges most if not all projectiles. phase shift will dodge anything.
leap also dodges projectiles
as does ball lightning
casting repel will debuff and block incoming ****, although I don't think you can repel doom off of somebody. I want to say that it blocks the rest of the damage but not the silence
bkb will dodge incoming non ultimates as well

Miharu

Smash Hero
ye casting repel will prevent the rest of the damage for the duration but not remove the silence

phase shift can't dodge things without an animation

can't autocast dodge tinker laser anymore :c

Top Bottom