• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

wezai

Smash Journeyman
played two games of dota one today, that game takes so much more skill. i love it. i wish people didn't force me to play dota 2 :(

also i got to play magnataur, my true love
They take the same amount of skill, the only difference for now is that Dota has a greater strategical depth (because of the number of heroes in it). The rest it's basically the same game with the same skill gap. :)

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
They take the same amount of skill, the only difference for now is that Dota has a greater strategical depth (because of the number of heroes in it). The rest it's basically the same game with the same skill gap. :)
And interface limitations. >.> The mapping is a bit rough to get used to again....

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Yea i just played my first game, I played the Drow Archer? I thought it was the easiest one to play, an AD carry. Just point and click. I just leveled up ult>passive>Frost shot> stats. For items I idk know so i went with the recommended and what my teammates told me. Basically i would try to open with Frost shot and then silence them and my teammates and I would of killed em by then. I also went duo bot lane, idk what they normally go.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Yea i just played my first game, I played the Drow Archer? I thought it was the easiest one to play, an AD carry. Just point and click. I just leveled up ult>passive>Frost shot> stats. For items I idk know so i went with the recommended and what my teammates told me. Basically i would try to open with Frost shot and then silence them and my teammates and I would of killed em by then. I also went duo bot lane, idk what they normally go.
Drow Ranger is an AGI carry, she is good but she lacks an escape mechanism. So usually people buy Shadow Blade for her (it gives invisibility) as an opening core to fulfill that. Get some stats while building your basic core (like getting Wraith Band or Braces while you finish your Power Treads is good). Every little stat counts a lot so make a good use of it early game.

As for skills, there's 2 common methods to go for:

1: Max Frost Arrow and her Silence. Start adding her aura afterwards, level up your ultimate whenever you can. The main idea behind this is to slow heroes a lot in team-fights so you and your team can kill fast whoever you focused, in the middle of the fight, try to get most of their heroes in the Silence, or if you can't, try to at least silence the ones who have good disables or skills.

2: Max Frost Arrow and her passive first. This works wonders if you have another damage aura backing you up in your lane (Vengeful Spirit's, Luna's (not added in Dota 2 yet) or any attack speed aura such as Beastmaster's. Then the main idea is to kill heroes early on, still in the laning phase. It's virtually impossible to escape from frost arrows if that is followed by another slow or disable. It nets you kills very early which helps you a lot into getting fat.

As for laning her, usually duo-lanes or tri-lanes are the best options. Backed up by a support or baby-sitter, which will help her to farm easily. Rarely pro-teams will let her solo-mid because she isn't a good ganker or pusher who can abuse power from fast early levels, she doesn't have the mobility either for that to become an early nuisance. She can't face alone against duo-lanes or tri-lanes, because of her lack of mobility or nukes that can farm from a safer distance. And ultimately, she cannot jungle effectively. So basically, going with one partner in your lane is all good.

Hope those tips helped you. :)

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
I don't really care that it's already been posted, this should probably be embedded on this page as well.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I like that it's more clear, but the skeleton effect seems hard to really distinguish it for what it is unless you were specifically looking for it.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Its just a nice little touch. I'm just in love with the coloring

DJRome

Smash Hero
idk if maybe ive been told wrong, but i have always gone on drow:

lvl 1 stats
2 silence
ult>passive>orb>silence>stats. it just seems that lvl 1, stats is best option

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Dayum that looks delicious!

SF movement animations changed as well. Slightly more resembling the old SF pimp stride.

Love the new Panda Brewmaster! Love the range on that thunder clap.
Drunken haze looks lulzily good.
Can't wait for Aghanims Sceptor visual effects to be added. Bigger primal split :D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
idk if maybe ive been told wrong, but i have always gone on drow:

lvl 1 stats
2 silence
ult>passive>orb>silence>stats. it just seems that lvl 1, stats is best option
The ability to silence/slow is so much better than a +1 to all stats.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
The ability to silence/slow is so much better than a +1 to all stats.
Agreed.

I like going q,w,e,e,e,r,e,q,q,r,q,w(or stats),w(or stats),w(or stats), stats, ult in terms of leveling.

I like starting the standard two slips 2 branches and regen(tangos + salve). From there I go into either midas(depending if i have good farm or not. If I can't get it before the 7:30 mark I don't do it at all.) or straight into treads. Then I go into helm of the dominator and get a creep and stack the ancients with it.

From there I continue to farm(with a tp on me at all times incase people get dived) either in a lane or in the jungle. Playing very cautiously(unless i have a distinct advantage and know where EVERYONE else is on the map). Then I go manta into bkb or vice versa. Following that I'd go either mkb or daed or butterfly.

Flayl

Smash Hero
+2 to all stats IIRC

which helps you last hit better

edit: and gives HP which is why I would get it before passive)

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
level one stats is horrible
wow guys...
level one you get aura or frost arrows. it depends on your lane. frost arrows if you're playing drow in a tri lane or you need to be able to harrass, otherwise aura.
level 2 silence.
max aura, max silence, max arrows last (but get one level of it at 4)

and stat bonus=+2 to all stats
the ONLY hero I ever see people go stats on is leoric, they get stun stats stun stats stun ulty, just so you can throw 2 stuns in lane. without stats you only get one stun

i usually get crits anyway and rush soul ring, so i don't even do that, it's just the only hero that justifies doing so

DJRome

Smash Hero
but lvl 1, stats gives more dmg than aura + bonus hp, and lvl 1 frost is useless since it is like 4 % slow. it seems like the standard lvl 1 skill from almost all of the chinese replays I have seen

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Another hero who was justified for getting early stats was Morphling, Wave + stats + Wave + stats + wave. So he could use his nuke more and endure the lane for a longer period. But after his Adaptive Strike remake, it's much better to get it now on level 4 (level 2 still stats). :bee:

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Sorry for double-posting, I swear I thought I clicked the edit button on my other post. WAHHH.

but lvl 1, stats gives more dmg than aura + bonus hp, and lvl 1 frost is useless since it is like 4 % slow. it seems like the standard lvl 1 skill from almost all of the chinese replays I have seen
Level 1 Frost Arrow is so good, even if the slow is not that much IMBA. Because just by the fact you can orb-walk, it means you can harass your enemies without pulling creep-aggro, instead of setting it to auto-cast, if you press hotkey for casting, creeps will not change their attack priority. It's something like how Huskar or Viper can harass, screw them orb-walkers. :c

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Another hero who was justified for getting early stats was Morphling, Wave + stats + Wave + stats + wave. So he could use his nuke more and endure the lane for a longer period. But after his Adaptive Strike remake, it's much better to get it now on level 4 (level 2 still stats). :bee:
Wrong!! O:

Morphs stat switch is ridiculous right now.

+3/4/5/6 str and agi. You max wave max stat switch get replicated at 9 and adaptive from there on. >.>

I'm sorry but a 5.0 stat gain at lvl 2 is ridiculous.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Wrong!! O:

Morphs stat switch is ridiculous right now.

+3/4/5/6 str and agi. You max wave max stat switch get replicated at 9 and adaptive from there on. >.>

I'm sorry but a 5.0 stat gain at lvl 2 is ridiculous.
Omg yes! I forgot Morph's remake. It's pretty strong. :)

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
no. stats give you +2 damage and VERY negligible attack speed, and 38 extra hp. level one frost is not useless because
just by the fact you can orb-walk, it means you can harass your enemies without pulling creep-aggro, if you press hotkey for casting, creeps will not change their attack priority. It's something like how Huskar or Viper can harass, screw them orb-walkers. :c
it's a really powerful laning tool. that's why you get it in tri lanes. if you have a max range hero in your tri lane then you usually win that lane through harrassment (assuming their tri lane has more killing power). often tri lanes feature a farm dependent melee hero, and you can crush their laning phase using orb walks

as was said, old morph doesn't count because he is gone forever

I don't understand why you guys are willing to say "no, you are wrong" when you are so blatantly incorrect yourself. I'm not discouraging people from talking, but if you're going to flat out tell somebody they are wrong you should probably know what you're talking about
this is one of the huge problems with dota, in general. pubs are notorious for refusing all constructive criticism and advice (even when given in a friendly manner) and just insist they have the game figured out

hubble

Smash Ace
this is one of the huge problems with dota, in general. pubs are notorious for refusing all constructive criticism and advice (even when given in a friendly manner) and just insist they have the game figured out
my biggest issue with it is that people would rather talk/theorycraft/argue than play/improve/try hard to win. seems like its been like this since TFT came out.

Miharu

Smash Hero
stats were gotten cause of 2 things

1) other skills sucked (not really relevant anymore due to buffs across the board)
2) people sucked

only heros that getting stats is kinda justified on are sven/leo, but even then not really

also on drow you go yasha/dom -> bkb -> manta -> fly/buriza

lothars is only really useful in lowskill games anyways

my biggest issue with it is that people would rather talk/theorycraft/argue than play/improve/try hard to win. seems like its been like this since TFT came out.
ive no problem with this as long as people are willing to concede when they're wrong and at least attempt to try to see where other people are coming from

otherwise its just a waste of time

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I don't understand why you guys are willing to say "no, you are wrong" when you are so blatantly incorrect yourself. I'm not discouraging people from talking, but if you're going to flat out tell somebody they are wrong you should probably know what you're talking about
I mostly go off of what I see in competitive games and from discussions with pro players >.>

Honestly the only times I get stats is when I'm sven or im behind. >.>

Turazrok

Smash Master
Mkay.

My dota won't start. I think it has something to do with this.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Recommendation is uninstalling and installing again.

I have no idea what the MDMP files do =/

Flayl

Smash Hero
Memory dump files. Won't help you at all unless you know what to look for, i.e. you're a developer.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Have you tried doing a clean reinstall (uninstall all graphic card drivers/software and install latest version) of your video driver?

Turazrok

Smash Master
None of that worked ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It happened after I installed directx I believe

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good move I suppose. Gotta get dat Chinese player base on board. Free + Lan :)

Hmm how to make moneys?
Hero skins would be interesting, so long as you still recognise the hero.
Customizable accessories, hats!? Kinda like how in DotA 1 on Christmas IceFrog would throw in Xmas hats and candy canes.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
There's already a lot of items in the game, for Juggernaut and Furion. There's slot based items, and some skin items too. For instance Juggernaut has 8 different swords he can equip, but tidehunter has an orca whale skin. And Furion has like 5 beards.

There's also sound files for item drops, so it may be somewhat similar in that you have a capped number of item drops a week like TF2.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It being F2P makes me sad, seeing how it affects League...

Real bummer.

I won't be playing past beta if their system involves buying things with real money that are required to play competitively.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
In early articles they had mentioned they didn't want anything that affected gameplay to be locked out to anyone. If there were any locks on heroes I'd be extremely disheartened.

Vyke

Smash Champion
It baffles me as to why websites still use the old art for Drow and Lina. Or rather, I guess it irritates me because Lina grew hair.

I WANT NEW ARTZ

Frolossus

Smash Lord
It being F2P makes me sad, seeing how it affects League...

Real bummer.

I won't be playing past beta if their system involves buying things with real money that are required to play competitively.
i don't think it will affect league too much based on what happened with WoW vs other mmorpgs

Top Bottom