• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you love it when people scream, "SONIC IS CHEAP!"?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Ok, just from seeing the tier list alone, it says Sonic is LOW.
Do any of you know people out there or are you the kind of person who keeps thinking Sonic is so ungodly cheap that he IS god tier?

Because my numskull friends keep thinking that. Just because he is fast and has a homing attack :laugh:
And i've constantly tried to explain how its easy to defeat Sonic with the characters they use (Mr. G&W, Snake, Lucario, Falco)
(For those who have problems with the homing attack. Simple. ROLL AND SMASH. THE END.)

Am I the only one who deals with idiots or am I not alone?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
sbr only put him low so ppl wudnt use him. he is god-tier
i beat my mates gaw all the time. if they think u r cheap, then odds are they suck, especially with gaw, and snake.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well its true. Sonic is cheap. Whenever I play, I just spam my lasors all the time. Whenever they get close I just use an insanely high priority attack or I just chaingrab them to the end of the stage and follow up with a spike.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sonki iz 2 gudz.
he can k1ll u rly fast wid gud killl moovz adn rakk up dmage wid hiy priarity atcks 2 spam adn spam lahzorz adn spam genrul fast attacks.
Seriously.
I don't get what the issue is with Falco here. He's not too hard at all.

disguy

Smash Cadet
One time when playing my friend's Snake, I faired his mortar and it didn't affect me and also avoided his c4 using a well timed up smash. Because of that, Sonic's godly speed, and some good stage recoveries, he kept calling me a demon haha.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
SothE700k , I think you need to tell your friends to step their games up. Either that or side taunt them until they just give up on Brawl.
^^^This^^^

Whenever I'm playing with friends, post-game conversations where I win with Sonic usually go something along this line:

Them: Man, I hate Sonic.
Me: Why? He has low priority, reach, and his slow smash attacks take forever to ko with.
Them: Okay then, I hate your Sonic.
Me: That's better.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonki iz 2 gudz.
he can k1ll u rly fast wid gud killl moovz adn rakk up dmage wid hiy priarity atcks 2 spam adn spam lahzorz adn spam genrul fast attacks.
Seriously.
I don't get what the issue is with Falco here. He's not too hard at all.
I wasn't reffering to Falco (Although now that I look at it...) I was just trying to make a funny.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I wasn't reffering to Falco (Although now that I look at it...) I was just trying to make a funny.
I was referring more to :

And i've constantly tried to explain how its easy to defeat Sonic with the characters they use (Mr. G&W, Snake, Lucario, Falco)
I think Sonic is neutral with Falco quite honestly, I get plenty of practise against a good one.
Hell, I don't find Snake much of an issue anymore. You can just shield and punish his ******** tilts.
Gaymenwatch and Lucario are hard though.

Umby

Smash Master
Falco isn't as bad as people think, but I wouldn't call it dead neutral. More like 55-45 Falco, or some weird number like 57-43

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol.

I'd just like to once again bring this up.

And I uncensored one of the names this time.

SWF chat, lol wifis.

Also, names changed for privacy.

Private Chat
[01:13] <MAD> iM ****ING ANGRY RIGHT NOW
[01:13] <MAD> U BEAT ME OVER 20 MOTHER ****ING TIMES
[01:13] <MAD> WHAT ARE U ASIN OR SOMETHING
[01:13] <MAD> !!!
[01:13] <MAD> ASAIN
[01:13] <MAD> WHAT THE ****
[01:14] <Tenki> you're being too predictable cause you're playing aggressively
[01:14] <Tenki> -_-'
[01:14] <MAD> SONIC IS TOO ****ING CHEAP
[01:14] <MAD> HIT AND RUN
[01:14] <Tenki> lolrangelolprioritylolweightlolbottomtier
[01:14] <Tenki> bring it to tact. discussion or something, everyone will tell you to dodge.
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS TOP TIER I DONT GIVE A **** WHAT U SAY
[01:15] <MAD> I AM ****ING ANGRY

Public Chat
[01:14] <MAD> SONIC IS ****ING CHEAP
[01:14] <Tenki> attention everyone
[01:14] <NoTmaD> No he's not
[01:14] <Tenki> ^^^ what he said
[01:14] <Tenki> err
[01:14] <NoTmaD> he has barely any kill moves
[01:14] <random1> Is there a digimon whose name does not end in 'mon'?
[01:14] <NoTmaD> F Smash takes ages
[01:14] <random1> oh
[01:14] <NoTmaD> and he does little damage in what attacks he does have that are good
[01:14] <NoTmaD> you
[01:14] <NoTmaD> are just bad
[01:14] <random1> I thought he was TT.
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS TOP TIER MAN
[01:15] <MAD> WHAT THE ****
[01:15] <MAD> SONIC IS ****ING CHEAP
[01:15] <Tenki> all your base are belong to us
[01:15] <random1> quick
[01:15] <NoTmaD> Holy **** you
[01:15] <random1> spam the ****tard
[01:15] <NoTmaD> are annoying
[01:15] <Tenki> nu nu nu
[01:15] <NoTmaD> AND bad at the game
[01:15] <random1> SPAM HIM GUYZ
[01:15] <Tenki> just because i 3 stocked your snake once with Sonic doesn't mean he's top tier
[01:15] <Tenki> ;__;
[01:16] <MAD> YES IT DOES
[01:16] <MAD> HES HIGHER THAN IKE
[01:16] <NoTmaD> rofl
[01:16] <NoTmaD> you play Snake
[01:16] <NoTmaD> lmaaaaaaaaao
[01:16] <MAD> yes
[01:16] <Tenki> I used your mine to Falcon Punch you one game
[01:16] <Umby> #Madnessboards
[01:16] <Tenki> `.` like I said, you were just being too aggressive and easy to predict
[01:16] <Tenki> calm down and play defensive some times
[01:17] <MAD> im a ****ing pieace of ****
[01:17] <Umby> join #love
[01:17] <Umby> do it
[01:17] <Umby> I'm op
[01:17] <Umby> No I'm kidding.
[01:17] <NoTmaD> MAD
[01:17] <NoTmaD> Sonic is pretty low tier
[01:17] <NoTmaD> and Snake is as high as the tier list goes
[01:18] <NoTmaD> so, I don't think it's a tier list issue, which it never is
[01:18] <NoTmaD> you just suck
[01:18] <MAD> i dont think snake is THE HIGHEST
[01:18] <MAD> that would be MK or olimar
[01:18] <MAD> definitely very high
[01:18] <NoTmaD> Olimar
[01:18] <NoTmaD> lmao
[01:18] <NoTmaD> you ARE bad at Brawl
[01:18] <Umby> I think trolling is succesful when people take it seriously.
[01:18] <MAD> have u even played me
[01:18] <NoTmaD> I main Olimar, he's middle of the top tier
[01:18] <Tenki> I played you
[01:18] <Tenki> ._.
[01:18] <NoTmaD> I don't need to, that guy said he 3 stocked you
[01:19] <Tenki> I already told you, you were playing too aggressive
[01:19] <NoTmaD> and you prove that you're an idiot in IRC
[01:19] <MAD> snakes a side
[01:19] <NoTmaD> those 2 equal out to you sucking at brawl
[01:19] <Tenki> or
[01:19] <MAD> i ahte to admit it but ur right NoTmaD : (
[01:19] <Tenki> just not knowing how to play against Sonic
[01:19] <Tenki> ._.;
[01:19] <MAD> i need a beer
:laugh:

SothE700k

Smash Lord
That conversation, has been SAVED. LMAO

SothE700k , I think you need to tell your friends to step their games up. Either that or side taunt them until they just give up on Brawl.
I have! That and I spammed the wholly hell out of the side taunt, I actually saw my friend's teeth grinding XD
I do tell them to figure out ways, I've even paused the game and told them what to do! They just throw away that advice and what happened? Spammed homing attack to their death...*sigh*

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
yeah and im like sonic is not cheap!?!!?!?shift+1and/!? HE'S PRICELESS!!1!!

LOL but seriously i get u and yeah it pisses me off ESPECIALLY if its like in one of my local tournaments where people pretend to know what their talking about and THINK that they do but they're totally off and wrong. ex) "well with sonic all you have to keep on doing is spinning around...its really not that hard" O_O........o_O......O_o.....what?

and yeah those are mostly the people that suck but are ignorant to places like smashboards or gamefaqs. cuz a lot of my friends and my bro-in-law suck but they are aware that sonic is a low tier character and that snake and meta are nasty. well w/e sonic ownz anyways ^_^ lol

CUsmasher2011

Smash Journeyman
First of all, Tenki's chat ftw

Second of all, I get that a lot when I play Sonic against my friends (mostly because they absolutely hate Sonic in general), especially when I'm able to gimp them at low percentages with Sonic (Spring gimp on Olimar at 33% ftw). But yeah, Sonic's not cheap....not by a longshot. And besides, most people say that he is cheap because of his final smash anyways

Sagen du Smash

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is WITHOUT question not bottom tier. There is no way! He is just the hardest character to master and so most casual (or newbie) players flock towards the easy win characters. All the characters in this game require some degree of skill (though Pit is questionable for me) but Sonic is the mindgame master. Personally I hate the idea of tiers. Power isn't everything in terms of scoring KO's and last I checked, he was called "Sonic" for a reason...

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Yea, your friends need to learn to play the game well.
My friends were exactly the same. Always dying terrible deaths by gimp, kick and spinnin ball thang.
But now they're all good, and used to my sonic, and can put up a fight. All of thsi is thanks to my ten step program on getting your friends NOT to suck! :D

1: make sure they understand every move and tactic that is revelent.... relevent? Relative? Related? to their character of choice.
2: If they mess up, spray bad smelling axe on their favorite sweater until they get good.
3: Have lots of cheezies and funky flavored juice ready for the occasion.
4: Help them develop good ways to play via using a variety of characters. Nobody likes getting creamed time a time again by a dirty ol Pit or MK when they're learning to play. D:
5: Helpful insight on the more advanced techniques and skills in the game will make them far better.
6: Show them smashboards. Heh. I'm free advertisement, *****es.
7: Drink that funky juice and eat dem cheezies.
8: Play somethign other than Brawl for a while, cuz it gets old, everyone gets all emotional, friendships are ended, hearts broken.... Up until the moment the first punch is thrown and it hits someone right in the throat, and he dies and then we have to eat him to hide the evidence.... Bad times.....
9: Keep on playing.
10: Somebody play me on Wi-Fi when my Wii is fixed. :D
Hope I was helpful. Cuz you know, EVERYONE needs to know how to make their friends good at smash. And I listened to the call of the people and unleashed my wisdom on the masses, for the glory of Snake, my own personal god. I'm trying to grow out a combat mullet right now, actually, although to very little effect....

infomon

Smash Scientist
Everything in this thread is full of win and lol.

The best quote so far IMO:
"well with sonic all you have to keep on doing is spinning around...its really not that hard" O_O........o_O......O_o.....what?
:psycho: :urg: :psycho:

Sonic is WITHOUT question not bottom tier. There is no way! He is just the hardest character to master and so most casual (or newbie) players flock towards the easy win characters. All the characters in this game require some degree of skill (though Pit is questionable for me) but Sonic is the mindgame master. Personally I hate the idea of tiers. Power isn't everything in terms of scoring KO's and last I checked, he was called "Sonic" for a reason...
Dude, tiers are usually based on tournament results (not KO power o_O), and so far Sonics haven't been placing all that well in tournaments. I too think that he has a lot of potential to rise, but he's certainly been pretty low tier this far in. It's up to us to fix that :laugh:

One time when playing my friend's Snake, I faired his mortar and it didn't affect me
This is actually one of the most interesting parts of the game that I've found, from a research-on-brawl's-priority-system standpoint. Some aerials can kill the mortar, but not all of them! And it seems to be based on the elemental type of the attack; none of MK's aerials can kill the mortar, because they are all Slash-type attacks. But all Sonic's can kill it :) Weird, eh? Noone's figured out all the details yet though.

Note that Sonic's Fair beats MK's drill head-to-head (*cough*). ftw.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
This is actually one of the most interesting parts of the game that I've found, from a research-on-brawl's-priority-system standpoint. Some aerials can kill the mortar, but not all of them! And it seems to be based on the elemental type of the attack; none of MK's aerials can kill the mortar, because they are all Slash-type attacks. But all Sonic's can kill it :) Weird, eh? Noone's figured out all the details yet though.

Note that Sonic's Fair beats MK's drill head-to-head (*cough*). ftw.
Nair beats it. That move is fucking weird and I don't understand it in the slightest. Even though it's knockback isn't great, it knocks Snake out of his cypher. Even though it has awful priority from what I gathered it still seems to break random good attacks like mortar and other things. Do each of the three stages of that attack have different priority or something? I've never quite understood it.

And yeah it does. MK's drill rush will barely ever be used though because it's his worst B move if not one of his worst moves altogether.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Nair beats it. That move is fucking weird and I don't understand it in the slightest. Even though it's knockback isn't great, it knocks Snake out of his cypher. Even though it has awful priority from what I gathered it still seems to break random good attacks like mortar and other things. Do each of the three stages of that attack have different priority or something? I've never quite understood it.
Are you sure Nair beats the mortar? I just tested it a bunch more, and I can't get it to happen. I'm talking about the mortar as it's rising and falling in the air; the two other stages have different properties. (One stage is on Snake as he whips out the machinery, and the other is the explosion when the mortar collides with something.) When an attack destroys the mortar, you should see a blue-grey "clash bubble", and the mortar will explode harmlessly.

As for priority.... as far as anyone knows, aerials do not have priority. That is, aerials cannot clash against other attacks, and will not be interrupted. Although there are a couple of strange counter-examples like Olimar's Pikmin that are each their own independent hurtbox :ohwell: Aerial "priority" is perception based on the size and placement of the character's hitbox and hurtbox. The three stages of MK's Nair do different amounts of damage, and it's quite possible that his hitbox/hurtbox change throughout the attack, which would suit what you describe. Aside from the mortar (which I can't reproduce), what other attacks does it seem to win against?

MK's drill rush will barely ever be used though because it's his worst B move if not one of his worst moves altogether.
Agreed. But it's still cool that Sonic could win something, even if it never happens :)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Yeah, I'm sure I hit a rising mortar from above with the very start of a nair and didn't take any damage. If you can't get it to work, maybe it was just a random one off.
And yeah the aerial priority thing completely slipped my mind, you can thank waking up at 6AM everyday for college for that >=o (I'm more of an afternoon person :))

H

Homsar, a Trendy Tote Bag

AaAAaaAAaaAAaa!

Whatzorz?

Sonic is gooodly. He is just a friendly reminder!

AaAAaaAAaaAAaa!

Seriously, the only person who I know who thinks sonic is that good is one of my cousins. One of my much younger cousins. And I second Captain Falcon and Sonic.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and for the record... any move that does more than 7% damage will hit snake out of the cypher.
and basically any move that covers your body in a hit box will break through the mortar. n/f/d-air all beat mortar

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
and for the record... any move that does more than 7% damage will hit snake out of the cypher.
But not multihits, right? I don't remember fair ever working, nor u-air
Actually you're probably right with them. I noticed if you hit them with the end of nair in cypher it doesn't knock them out (the 5% bit.)

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hmm, that's very interesting. I suppose that most Specials require an offending hitbox of at least a certain damage % to interrupt them. And multi-hit attacks are made out of multiple hitboxes, so they wouldn't work as often.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
lol.

I'd just like to once again bring this up.

And I uncensored one of the names this time.

:laugh:

you forever bringing that up.

if you want them to understand what cheap really is, then pick Metaknight on them. Don't play metaknight you say? doesn't matter. it's that easy and gay.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
ASC sheild cancels are kinda cheap. lol but not when you consider snake and mk exist.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
But not multihits, right? I don't remember fair ever working, nor u-air
Actually you're probably right with them. I noticed if you hit them with the end of nair in cypher it doesn't knock them out (the 5% bit.)
correct, it has to be one hit that does more than 7% damage

thats why MKs neutral air beats cypher and mortar, first stage, covers his body in a hit box, does i believe 9% and has amazing knockback

Top Bottom