• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

donkey kong

asianaussie

Smash Hero
absolutely nothing

it's just that a lot of other things demand attention and we don't have all day to play practice mode and ponder the intrinsics of smash 64 :3

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I haven't played training mode on keyboard in months lol

Takes about 30 seconds if you want to be absolutely sure (I timed myself when I checked just then lol)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Is it possible to run off the edge>fair>turnaround with punch cancel>grab ledge?

I think I saw someone do it before, just want to confirm it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
doesn't look like it's possible...I tried it in 1/4 speed and nothing.

probably a short hop f-air you saw, or something to do with saffron platform shenanigans

The Star King

Smash Hero
It's possible. It's also very difficult.

That was one of the things I mentioned when I was arguing DK was a lot more technical than Pikachu lol

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Does the fair has to connect, or it can be done throwing it to the air in training mode for example?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Pretty widely known my techskill is depressingly bad, given I never practise :3

I really do want proof, I'm simply unsure if you can jump back in time.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Shoutout to DK for having the most original Nair in the game.

Also something to practice is running off the stage and reverse neutral b cancel so you can grab the ledge really fast.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I have improved allot the last 2 months, but my DK hasnt becomed much better. In some match ups, I have becomed descent with him, but overall he hasnt keeped up with my game. 2 months ago he was my third best caracther after pikachu and kirby. Now i've becomed allot better with yoshi, and probably better with puff and mario too even if I have played DK the most. And ness and falcon is soon as good as him.

Is this most likely just a personal thing or do more people feel like DK is easy to get to some level but then harder than other caracthers to take to the next level. I really dont wanna give the great ape up, but its starting to get annoying to often lose to worse players while I use him. Anyone else feel that way with DK?

The Star King

Smash Hero
It was the same for me. DK was up there amongst my characters when I was a lot worse, but he didn't really improve as much as my other characters and got left behind in the dust.

Olikus

Smash Champion
It was the same for me. DK was up there amongst my characters when I was a lot worse, but he didn't really improve as much as my other characters and got left behind in the dust.
Sad to hear. Hopefully I get him out from the dust.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
He improved considerably for me once I started to get better. Once I focused on him, learning his combos and tricks I found he could be a very powerful tool in my arsenal, especially if I played like a homo and Bthrowed/UpB'd all day.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
My DK was really tanking compared to my other characters. Then I learned how to uair chain and now just space bairs and camp one of the lower platforms to get in uair chains. Mix em up with sh dairs to usmash or tech chased downb into charged punch. Maybe throw in an nair or two if you're feeling cocky.

Then just get good at upb out of shield and get ready to use it, as aa said, to deny anything when you're in trouble. It also works well to edgeguard someone horizontally from you.

That + bthrows should make your DK pretty good.

I feel mine can compete on a decent level.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ok possibly never mind about my DK not improving much, because I was playing Firo a few days ago and my DK was ON FIYAH.

Although it was on Dreamland, and my DK is much better on that stage than any other. Platforms are cool.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
DL is most definitely his favourite stage, but I like the challenge on Hyrule where I try to space my opponent towards the middle under the lowest platform to set them up for combos. Or Saffron trying to do uair combos on the pokemon box.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I never see anyone else take kirby to the West Side (of Hyrule) and do repeated Fthrows from low %'s to Giant punch at 30-40ish. Works like a charm for me; best anti-kirby strategy I have. Of course, it can be mashed out of (ESPECIALLY BY HORI MINIPAD KIDS) but if you get 'em close to the smallwall, that can be really hard to do.

Of course, it's gayer than John Travolta's Carebear Underoos, but there you go.

Top Bottom