• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

RtMbot

Smash Rookie
NNID
RtMbot
Hey guys, new member, and a Donkey Kong player here. I really enjoy the Donkey Kong Country series as platformers, and after trying out DK in the new Smash, I really found him fun to play, so I decided maaaybe I should make him my main. I decided to introduce myself on this forum and not the Meet & Greet because it doesn't seem like anybody goes there, and because the character discussion boards (especially DK's) were the reason I joined anyways.

I felt like there were limited resources on Donkey Kong or the characters that I used, so I decided to search for more, and that's what led me to this place. I lurked around for a while just to absorb info, but that didn't let me really participate in any discussions or ask the questions that I wanted to, as I enjoy talking about the game about as much as I enjoy actually playing it.

I'm not a particularly good player; I've never been to tournaments, nor involved in the competitive scene whatsoever, and if I do decide to really get into the competitive scene then Smash 4 will be my first Smash game in which I do, despite playing Melee and Brawl (not that I was good at those games either). Even then, I do want to learn and become a better player; I hope to gain some experience from here :)

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
well, hi fellow smash 4 DK people. I am a norwegian smash who picked up DK on 3ds, but it wasn't until yesterday I really fell in love with. Like, so mjuch that I actually wanna play semicompetetive now. (Melee is the only game I do competetive atm, and kinda Brawl)

So I've read some posts, and why doesn't aerial down b get love? it is my favourite spike by far, and the hitbox of it is HUGE. It kills most of the cast on 80% percent from my experience, and is the most usable spike imo.

As for playing DK, I find approaching and landing a very hard thing atm. I feel like DK has no approaches, but many awesome counterapproaches. Down b kills rolls and shields (breaks in four hits or something o_O), and ftilt/dtilt have enough range to counter grabs. Right now I am testing utilt as an antiair, but I finf utilt very hard to use in this game for some reason. (it is definitly harder than in melee!)

Also, Nair is a cool move. It combos sometimes into Fairs, nairs and dairs, so it is the main comboattack in the air :)

BTW: a combo I did tonight, I loved it myself xD
Because people don't listen and don't want to listen. It's too far out of their comfort zones. I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees the value in that attack. Some recoveries are gimped by it so easily and most players forget that's even an option DK can use against them. Just don't use it over the stage and you're good to go.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Hey guys, new member, and a Donkey Kong player here. I really enjoy the Donkey Kong Country series as platformers, and after trying out DK in the new Smash, I really found him fun to play, so I decided maaaybe I should make him my main. I decided to introduce myself on this forum and not the Meet & Greet because it doesn't seem like anybody goes there, and because the character discussion boards (especially DK's) were the reason I joined anyways.

I felt like there were limited resources on Donkey Kong or the characters that I used, so I decided to search for more, and that's what led me to this place. I lurked around for a while just to absorb info, but that didn't let me really participate in any discussions or ask the questions that I wanted to, as I enjoy talking about the game about as much as I enjoy actually playing it.

I'm not a particularly good player; I've never been to tournaments, nor involved in the competitive scene whatsoever, and if I do decide to really get into the competitive scene then Smash 4 will be my first Smash game in which I do, despite playing Melee and Brawl (not that I was good at those games either). Even then, I do want to learn and become a better player; I hope to gain some experience from here :)
Welcome to smashboards. Just don't be too shy and feel free to ask questions or chat on the boards. New blood is always a good thing.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Hey guys.

I'm Yars, I played DK some back in the Brawl days (I'm even in a DK community combo video as U.A.!) but could never stick to him. In Smash 4 I'm loving him and am seriously considering playing him as a second.

Hope to see y'all around!

EDIT:

Here's a silly video, I love DK's DownB in this game and love the sillyass aerial version.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
so i am scouting secondaries, dk among them

being a ganon main, would dk be a good secondary

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Most likely not. Dk and ganon both have a hard time with projectile heavy and combo rush down characters. You are most likely going to hit matches that are bad for both characters.

I would secondary a character that covers as many of dorfs bad match ups as possible.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I'm testing out Donkey Kong, anyone know how to do reversal neutral B? I can easily do it with the punch, but not while charging up. Meanwhile, Will does it constantly in his matches. How do you do it? Playing on the 3DS-version by the way

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'm testing out Donkey Kong, anyone know how to do reversal neutral B? I can easily do it with the punch, but not while charging up. Meanwhile, Will does it constantly in his matches. How do you do it? Playing on the 3DS-version by the way
You can't B-reversal the punch charge. What you have to do is either tap backwards really quick then press B, or tilt the control stick backwards very slightly and then press B. Both inputs are examples of a turnaround B. For me personally the slight tilt method is easier.

Last edited:

Jensm89

Smash Rookie
Alright, DK man here. I love DK cus hes a gorilla. I love gorillas. DK is my main. Cheers.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Hi guys. New DK main here. Well, I say that. I'm usually a Bowser player, but I always played DK a fair bit on other games. But since I got SSBU yesterday I've been playing him more and more, and I remember just how satisfying he is to play. Powering through a smash attack and Dong Punching someone in the face makes me flip every time I do it. I'm having a lot of trouble in For Glory though. Big target + FD only + lack of options from above = Rough life for me.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Hi guys. New DK main here. Well, I say that. I'm usually a Bowser player, but I always played DK a fair bit on other games. But since I got SSBU yesterday I've been playing him more and more, and I remember just how satisfying he is to play. Powering through a smash attack and Dong Punching someone in the face makes me flip every time I do it. I'm having a lot of trouble in For Glory though. Big target + FD only + lack of options from above = Rough life for me.
For glory can be really stupid, it can take awhile to find a good player, then when you do it is a struggle on fd with dk's size, then they usually quit after 1 match because they care to much about their win-loss ratio.

Check out this site if you are sick of for glory but want to play online. www.smashladder.com it provides a much more realistic competitive environment and allows dk to be used to his full potential online.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
For glory can be really stupid, it can take awhile to find a good player, then when you do it is a struggle on fd with dk's size, then they usually quit after 1 match because they care to much about their win-loss ratio.

Check out this site if you are sick of for glory but want to play online. www.smashladder.com it provides a much more realistic competitive environment and allows dk to be used to his full potential online.
I have an account there but I've never really messed with it. Coming off a recent string of losses to every player this side of the nuthouse I feel like I should give it another shot.

Also, what's a good DK secondary? I can't for the life of me beat ZSS or Sheik and the Links are doable but tough for me.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
yes! This was just discovered, if you unplug the oponent's controller side b will hit everytime! :troll:
LOL. My cousin did this to me once in one of the "mash the A button" minigames in Mario Party. I was too shocked to be mad lol. Next level strats!

Last edited:

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
LOL. My cousin did this to me once in one of the "mash the A button" minigames in Mario Party. I was too shocked to be mad lol. Next level strats!
Not enough with this, a friend of mine did it every time de start a race con Mario kart xD.

I found some interesting mechanics with side b for edgeguarding:
-Running off the ledge and instantly side b towards the stage, you'll do your side b and also dk grab the ledgeledge
-when grabbing the ledge, fast fall then jump with side b and you'll perform the headbutt and grab the ledge
Note: try not to reverse your momentum of you will not reach the ledge

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Might be hitting up a local tourney on New Years Eve, putting my DK to the test. Probably gonna get bopped but ehhh what can you do.

Edit: I'll be there. If there's a recording setup I'll try to get some videos.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Does anyone else have a bit harder time spiking someone with side b? I feel you have to hit just right or they just kinda get hit with no spike.

RE-DAZ

Smash Cadet
ive never try before using side b for spiking, i can handle better with Fair or Dair spiking

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
there is literally no reason to attempt to side b spike someone, other than if you wanted to be an asshole and rub it in. its the weakest spike, its the slowest spike, and it has the worst hitbox

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Sup guys. I've recently been upgraded to a mod and instead of making a new thread to get the ball rolling, I think it would be better if I asked you guys what you'd like to be done in here. I haven't even been mod for half a day and already had a duplicate thread about Landing Options pop up. I'm sure most of you would like to see some of the clutter like that get cleaned up. Aside from the obvious stuff like removing spam and stuff like that, what do you guys feel need to be done (threads to sticky, threads to create, merging posts, general suggestions, etc.)?

I have some ideas in mind, but I don't wanna do too much without getting a thumbs up from you guys.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
For all you Mario Party fans out there, DK is finally playable again. :grin:

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Big O I think we need a more organized system of "official" threads.

We have threads for things like match up discussions and stage discussion but they aren't really that official and the OPs are not organized.
I think we need a stickied "index" thread that contains all the essential threads for quick access. This also makes it super easy for new players/people who are new to the forums to find what they are looking for.

The index thread would just link to important stuff like:

The threads that are already stickied? (would that be redundant?)
The frame data thread
The match up discussion thread
The Stage discussion thread
Luigi players tips and info thread
A dk discoveries thread (Seems like every time someone makes a discovery they don't use the metagame discussion thread so its just a suggestion).

Also I think the metagame discussion thread needs to have the words Q and A in it so that it looks more inviting for the less experienced players to come and ask stuff :p

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Big O I think we need a more organized system of "official" threads.

We have threads for things like match up discussions and stage discussion but they aren't really that official and the OPs are not organized.
I think we need a stickied "index" thread that contains all the essential threads for quick access. This also makes it super easy for new players/people who are new to the forums to find what they are looking for.

The index thread would just link to important stuff like:

The threads that are already stickied? (would that be redundant?)
The frame data thread
The match up discussion thread
The Stage discussion thread
Luigi players tips and info thread
A dk discoveries thread (Seems like every time someone makes a discovery they don't use the metagame discussion thread so its just a suggestion).

Also I think the metagame discussion thread needs to have the words Q and A in it so that it looks more inviting for the less experienced players to come and ask stuff :p

As far as I can tell, there is (and never was?) no recent stage discussion thread. Someone also just made a Q&A thread, so I'm not sure the metagame thread needs Q&A in the title.

I feel like it might be a good idea to have two MU threads. One thread on general stuff like the current thread, and another one that acts as a hub and links to a bunch of weekly specific character MU threads.

I also think an index thread with links to all the main/important threads is a good idea.

I guess I will start things off soon. Let me know if anything is missing from the index thread.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i want to play against some DKs on here. see where everyone stands. not all DK dittos; use some of my other characters against your DK and vice versa

add me and include a "smashboards" message. the_shawnz. wont be able to play until tomorrow night, midnight ish est

edit - no responses and no friend requests still. i know the king of the jungle isnt the most popular smash character. but cmon

Last edited:

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
i want to play against some DKs on here. see where everyone stands. not all DK dittos; use some of my other characters against your DK and vice versa

add me and include a "smashboards" message. the_shawnz. wont be able to play until tomorrow night, midnight ish est

edit - no responses and no friend requests still. i know the king of the jungle isnt the most popular smash character. but cmon
I might have some time this weekend. My Wii is currently disconnected (Haven't connected it since this past weekends tournament) but when i hook it back up ill shoot over that friend request.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Custom moves are confirmed to be legal at EVO 2015. How do you guys feel about custom moves finally becoming mainstream for tourneys? I know I'm excited to have the Smash 4 scene embrace customs. Avatar DK is best DK (aka Earth, Wind, and Fire DK).

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Oh man, I really need to learn up b 3. I think it really adds some great options.

I am excited :D

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Custom moves are confirmed to be legal at EVO 2015. How do you guys feel about custom moves finally becoming mainstream for tourneys? I know I'm excited to have the Smash 4 scene embrace customs. Avatar DK is best DK (aka Earth, Wind, and Fire DK).
DK was fortunate enough to be the recipient of some great custom moves, so I think this is going to benefit his tier placement.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
This is stupidly hard but you can ledge trump drop down double back onto the stage and turn around wind punch and it will cause the opponent to be pushed away from the ledge and not be able to regrab the ledge with invincibility.
once they sweet spot the ledge with no invincibility you can punish with whatever.

I only had time to test this on the 3ds but I got it to work in training, it is just really hard because it has to be done really fast and 3ds sucks for quick stuff like this.

Edit: Does anyone know if taking damage from being off screen resets ledge invincibility? I am hitting the wind more more easily now but it seems like a full wind charge knocks them so far they take off screen damage and return with ledge invincibility :/
Turns out this is a great way to gimp though

Last edited:
Top Bottom