• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
@itsaxelol, @DaRkJaWs, @Metalbro, @ RiotLettuce RiotLettuce , @ Brickbox Brickbox , @Man Li Gi, @ RomanceDawn RomanceDawn , @ CELTiiC CELTiiC , @MaximalGFX, @GiMiX. Sup guys. It's been a while since I became the mod for these boards and I would like to know what you guys think about some things.

- What would you guys like to get done in the near future?
- How do you guys feel about what I've been doing so far (reducing clutter/repeat threads, the stickies, the little tab things like "Meta", etc.)?
- Is there anything in particular you don't like (that could be fixed)?

I just want to get a feel for what you guys feel should be done to improve the boards. I have a couple of ideas, but nothing too concrete. I'll be busy over the next few weeks, but if you guys want change I can get around to do doing stuff in June.

Even if I didn't tag you, feel free to respond to my questions or let me know what you think.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
@itsaxelol, @DaRkJaWs, @Metalbro, @ RiotLettuce RiotLettuce , @ Brickbox Brickbox , @Man Li Gi, @ RomanceDawn RomanceDawn , @ CELTiiC CELTiiC , @MaximalGFX, @GiMiX. Sup guys. It's been a while since I became the mod for these boards and I would like to know what you guys think about some things.

- How do you guys feel about what I've been doing so far (reducing clutter/repeat threads, the stickies, the little tab things like "Meta", etc.)?

I just want to get a feel for what you guys feel should be done to improve the boards. I have a couple of ideas, but nothing too concrete. I'll be busy over the next few weeks, but if you guys want change I can get around to do doing stuff in June.

Even if I didn't tag you, feel free to respond to my questions or let me know what you think.
I appreciate you reaching out, though at the moment I'm not sure on what could be made better.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Big O you are doing a great job, I really don't know what could be made better, things are looking really nice.

TerrancesPINEApple

Smash Rookie
I started using Donkey Kong instead of Kirby like a week ago because he just seems to be better with my Mario. so here I am.

Last edited:

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I think DK has two hitboxes in his forward smash. I was messing around in training mode and found out that hitting too close does less damage.
Hitting with the palms, it does 20% uncharged and 28% fully charged. When I hit him at point blank it did 19% and 26%.

RiotLettuce

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RiotLettuce
3DS FC
0877-2587-1813
I managed to win a flight to Vegas at the Vs EVO Sponsorship tourney for coming in 5th place, losing to ESAM. Getting a sponsorship for EVO only I think so I'ma go there and put in some custom dk work

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621

You are doing an amazing job, honestly you have helped a lot. I think one thing is we need more discussion in the match-up thread, I'm finding it hard at times to write a good summary. Possibly if we had someone or multiple people write up a summary of the match-ups in the current wave we could get more efficiency there. I could include links to their post or put their posts in the match-up spoiler so people can get a feel of what they need to do in that match-up and how to make it bearable. From everything else you have done an amazing job. I feel everything is easy to find. Honestly keep up the good work man, I've been appreciating it.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Any DK mains wanna have a go?

I don't main him, but I'd like to get more experience with him.

Also, bow before your king, Pinky Kong. :4dk:

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
The more I play with DK the more fun he is. Smash 4 is the first time I actually enjoy playing as DK.

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
Hey guys! Is there a Donkey Kong skype group? Because if there is I would totally like to join and maybe have a few friendlies to practice my Donkey Kong

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I still can't believe Iwata died. He was only 55 years old too. Another reminder that you never really know when your time will come. RIP Iwata, you will be missed.

RosieTwoDutch

Smash Rookie
Whashup homies. I just joined the site, but have been a part of the scene since the beginning of Brawl. Some might remember me as TDAP, I will be in and out of the boards scanning and giving my knowledge on specific match-ups and Smash Theory (my favorite!). I also remember there being a rule about having a specific number of posts so I thought I would start it off like this. Hopefully I will see you guys around the world playing Smash.

DongofDelaware72

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingTrollzor72
3DS FC
1950-9522-6802
I find it a shame that I don't see many DK mains on for glory or many other places for that matter. I never consider the tier list in terms of player skill, but DK is just too underappreciated. I am glad that I found this community when I did so I can share my love for this expandable ape with other people.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I find it a shame that I don't see many DK mains on for glory or many other places for that matter. I never consider the tier list in terms of player skill, but DK is just too underappreciated. I am glad that I found this community when I did so I can share my love for this expandable ape with other people.
Donkey Kong is just one of those characters in Smash that comes of as very vanilla(what ever that means). Plus being big in a game like this certainly doesn't do him many favors so it's only natural that he gets over looked when other characters have flashier or more promising move sets.

If Dk could roll a barrel I bet that would turn some heads, hahaha. I imagine it functioning something like a Mecha Koopa that can't change directions. Maybe like Dedede you could make it bounce or change it's speed depending on how you hold the control stick. Just imagine how much something like that would help when it comes to opposing projectile users? It's like the most iconic thing DK has ever done since his creation.

During the early speculation days I campaigned on miiverse constantly for DK to get his roll attack. Maybe it's time to get on the Barrel Throw campaign for the what ever comes next for Smash...

DongofDelaware72

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingTrollzor72
3DS FC
1950-9522-6802
I completely agree with you on this. There is so much DK can do from the plethora of games he's been in and the dozens of abilities he's possessed. Perhaps adding a barrel toss will make DK gain the attention he do rightfully deserves. It should replace the current side-b he has. I like its sheild-breaking ability, but it's rare that someone will get hit by it.

Texfone

Smash Cadet
NNID
Texfone
Sup, Konkey Dong community! Let me briefly introduce myself, I am Texfone.

I used to play Donkey Kong Country all the time as a kid and I have played the original Donkey Kong before as well. Can't remember if I ever finished :4dk: Country but I believe I did, one thing I DO know for sure is that the minecart level was as hard as satan's boner. I did not like that level at all.

Anyway, I main Dedede, obviously, but I do enjoy DK as a secondary along with :4jigglypuff: and :4shulk: and maybe even :4pikachu:.

A really cool remix of DK's theme/music whatever you want to call it is below

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1b2TcBhYTo

:4dk:'s F-air is especially sweet to land along with is Super Mega Alpha Impact Punch of Doom, and, of course, D-air.

Well I guess that's brief enough, keep expanding the Dong on every opponent that thinks they can take DK. :chuckle:

Furret24

Smash Master
I made some GIF's of the DKC cartoon, so here they are. Enjoy DK fans, because I sure did.

DongofDelaware72

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingTrollzor72
3DS FC
1950-9522-6802
Am I the only one who's kinda hurt from the whole King K. Rool as a Mii outfit thing? I know a lot of people say K. Rool still has a chance but I still see it as a huge spit in the face to the people who really wanted him.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Am I the only one who's kinda hurt from the whole King K. Rool as a Mii outfit thing? I know a lot of people say K. Rool still has a chance but I still see it as a huge spit in the face to the people who really wanted him.
Perhaps it's just a taste of what's to come....

Samus got a mii costume too, right? Therefore, it stands to reason that Mii costumes have no bearing as to if a character will be included.

DongofDelaware72

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingTrollzor72
3DS FC
1950-9522-6802
Perhaps it's just a taste of what's to come....

Samus got a mii costume too, right? Therefore, it stands to reason that Mii costumes have no bearing as to if a character will be included.
I understand where you're coming from. But I find Mii customizations, in terms of costumes, completely pointless. So what if it makes them look cool? If they can't be used in For Glory, no one will ever see it.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I understand where you're coming from. But I find Mii customizations, in terms of costumes, completely pointless. So what if it makes them look cool? If they can't be used in For Glory, no one will ever see it.
No arguments here. I think it is a waste of space, tbh.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Ya, it is an unfortunate loss. K. Rool would have been a really cool addition. I especially liked DKC3 mad scientist K. Rool.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
DK was one of the first characters I wanted to play as when Smash 4 rolled out, and now that I've hit rock bottom with a 100 loss streak, I'm thinking of just returning to him, since I won't do any better no matter who I play as. Has anyone here turned around their fortunes by switching to DK?

DongofDelaware72

Smash Rookie
NNID
KingTrollzor72
3DS FC
1950-9522-6802
DK was one of the first characters I wanted to play as when Smash 4 rolled out, and now that I've hit rock bottom with a 100 loss streak, I'm thinking of just returning to him, since I won't do any better no matter who I play as. Has anyone here turned around their fortunes by switching to DK?
I can kinda relate to your situation. I have always mained DK in all the smash games and once Smash 4 rolled around, I tried to main Wario, Dr. Mario, King Dedede, and Ganondorf. Sure I was getting a lot of KO's, but it didn't feel the same as playing DK.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So how are DKs liking these changes that 1.1 introduced? Do you think these will make a sizable difference? I ask because I play :4dk: in every Smash game. He is my favorite original Nintendo character so to see him looking playable in this game is a real treat. I've also been having a lot of fun with him again so he's on my radar . Curious to think what seasoned DKs think about his place in today's meta (I know the patch hasn't been out long but I enjoy hearing speculation).

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
So how are DKs liking these changes that 1.1 introduced? Do you think these will make a sizable difference? I ask because I play :4dk: in every Smash game. He is my favorite original Nintendo character so to see him looking playable in this game is a real treat. I've also been having a lot of fun with him again so he's on my radar . Curious to think what seasoned DKs think about his place in today's meta (I know the patch hasn't been out long but I enjoy hearing speculation).
I think at this point DK is definitely pretty solid. His throw options are incredibly diverse and overall he probably has the most dangerous grab in this game (until they are too high to combo anymore). All he needs at this point is some QoL fixes on some of his moves and he would be a semi-competitive high tier. Extra base kb on Down B/Inner Jab/Ftilt/Side B (especially sourspot), fix punch SD on block, get rid of punch's ghost sourspot, make default Up B link into itself at all %'s, let default Up B "autocancel" or reduce the ending lag, etc and he'd be a lot less randomly trolled by the game.

Until they give him something like a safe approach, better landing/ledge options, or improve his lackluster frame data he won't be a top pick (unless he gets some ridiculously over-tuned random buffs elsewhere).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I find myself using Dash Attack and Up Smash just a smidge more.

Lately I've also gotten into the habit of breaking out of things with aerial Up B (outside of customs at least).

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I think at this point DK is definitely pretty solid. His throw options are incredibly diverse and overall he probably has the most dangerous grab in this game (until they are too high to combo anymore). All he needs at this point is some QoL fixes on some of his moves and he would be a semi-competitive high tier. Extra base kb on Down B/Inner Jab/Ftilt/Side B (especially sourspot), fix punch SD on block, get rid of punch's ghost sourspot, make default Up B link into itself at all %'s, let default Up B "autocancel" or reduce the ending lag, etc and he'd be a lot less randomly trolled by the game.

Until they give him something like a safe approach, better landing/ledge options, or improve his lackluster frame data he won't be a top pick (unless he gets some ridiculously over-tuned random buffs elsewhere).
Interesting thank you. With the buffs to his grab game, I feel he's more of Zangief kinda character. Very fun to say the least.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Sup guys, I'll be at Paragon tomorrow and will most likely go all DK. Haven't been to a tourney in a long time, so I am pretty nervous. While I don't expect to win, I hope I can take my game to the next level and maybe have an epic upset or 2 along the way.

I know some other DK mains will also be attending, so wish us all some luck!

Top Bottom