• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
This is stupidly hard but you can ledge trump drop down double back onto the stage and turn around wind punch and it will cause the opponent to be pushed away from the ledge and not be able to regrab the ledge with invincibility.
once they sweet spot the ledge with no invincibility you can punish with whatever.

I only had time to test this on the 3ds but I got it to work in training, it is just really hard because it has to be done really fast and 3ds sucks for quick stuff like this.

Edit: Does anyone know if taking damage from being off screen resets ledge invincibility? I am hitting the wind more more easily now but it seems like a full wind charge knocks them so far they take off screen damage and return with ledge invincibility :/
Turns out this is a great way to gimp though
As far as I can tell, hitting them with the windbox does not reset their ledge invincibility, even if they take damage from being off screen. It also doesn't stale your punch.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Cool, yeah I think I was just messing up my ledge punish on certain characters in training mode, some characters hurt boxes on the ledge seems really small.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Since there was talk about a balance patch and additional DLC characters like Lucas along with the arrival of Mewtwo as DLC in the latest Nintendo Direct, what are you guys hoping for? While I am sort of excited about those things, I'm most hyped about the potential for a fan favorite to be included via getting enough votes. My personal favorite will probably never make it in (mystery character from a new Nintendo IP in the making), I am somewhat hopeful for Snake, Zero, or Geno to possibly make the cut. I would also love Ryu from the Breath of Fire series or Ken from SF.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Since there was talk about a balance patch and additional DLC characters like Lucas along with the arrival of Mewtwo as DLC in the latest Nintendo Direct, what are you guys hoping for? While I am sort of excited about those things, I'm most hyped about the potential for a fan favorite to be included via getting enough votes. My personal favorite will probably never make it in (mystery character from a new Nintendo IP in the making), I am somewhat hopeful for Snake, Zero, or Geno to possibly make the cut. I would also love Ryu from the Breath of Fire series or Ken from SF.
My favorite video game character alongside Sonic is Knuckles, so that would be a dream come true. But his chances are very slim and likely very unrealistic, so I'm gonna hope for either K. Rool or Dixie, who are in line after Knuckles for me. The DK series definitely needs more reps. :/

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
K. Rool would be really cool, I know I have a couple friends that also want him.

I want Groose though.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd go to the social threads and share my silhouettes... I hope you guys like!

There will be more DK eventually, I have at least one planned of him riding Rambi in a future wave. Though dunno when that'll be done...

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Figured I'd go to the social threads and share my silhouettes... I hope you guys like!

There will be more DK eventually, I have at least one planned of him riding Rambi in a future wave. Though dunno when that'll be done...
reminds me of those sunset stages in the new DKC games

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
Just want to give a thumbs up for all you fellow DK players out there, what a hero is our friend DK.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dominic and I main lucario and DK. I have been playing him since brawl when I saw what DkWill could do with him. I'm always on his stream and I'm always down for a few matches since DK dittos are so hype. I look forward to meeting you all.

My favorite DK color is super saiyan kong and my favorite pass time is breaking scrubs shields with side-b on for glory.

Formaldehyde

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hodgers
Hello everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dominic and I main lucario and DK. I have been playing him since brawl when I saw what DkWill could do with him. I'm always on his stream and I'm always down for a few matches since DK dittos are so hype. I look forward to meeting you all.

My favorite DK color is super saiyan kong and my favorite pass time is breaking scrubs shields with side-b on for glory.
Hey man I'm also new here but a huge fan of DK, if you're ever up for some dittos I'd happily play, just PM me somtime.

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
After making a guy saltier than an ocean by destroying his top tier characters with the dong, I wondered if anyone here has produced salt using the dong. If so feel free to post your salty dong stories here, also, salty dongs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
After making a guy saltier than an ocean by destroying his top tier characters with the dong, I wondered if anyone here has produced salt using the dong. If so feel free to post your salty dong stories here, also, salty dongs ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I went ahead and moved your post to the social thread. As funny as it may seem, there doesn't really need to be a thread called Salty Dongs just to have 1 or 2 stories in their own thread. The expressions people make when they gimp themselves challenging Kong Cyclone is hilarious though. It gets me every time lol.

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
I went ahead and moved your post to the social thread. As funny as it may seem, there doesn't really need to be a thread called Salty Dongs just to have 1 or 2 stories in their own thread. The expressions people make when they gimp themselves challenging Kong Cyclone is hilarious though. It gets me every time lol.
Alright then, please excuse my lack of forum knowledge.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
How tall do you think Donkey Kong is supposed to be Canon-wise?
This is the kind of thing that should be asked in the social thread instead of making a new thread. That said, he's probably about twice as tall as Mario if he stands up. Maybe a couple feet shorter when he's hunched over.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I have a question for Donkey Kong experts. This may look like a silly question, but I'm asking this out of a mix of honesty and curiosity.

I was playing Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U earlier, then right the heck out of nowhere, I could've sworn I heard someone in the background of the game say "SPLAT!" Is there some kind of significance behind this "SPLAT," or is it supposed to be a joke?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I was playing Donkey Kong 64 on the Wii U earlier, then right the heck out of nowhere, I could've sworn I heard someone in the background of the game say "SPLAT!" Is there some kind of significance behind this "SPLAT," or is it supposed to be a joke?
I've played DK64 before. Kasplats (the punk kremlings that make shockwaves) make that noise every once and a while.

Also

While I'll still main the 'Dorf, I've decided to pick up all heavies. What should I know about DK? Are their any good guides for him?

Thanks in advance!

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I've played DK64 before. Kasplats (the punk kremlings that make shockwaves) make that noise every once and a while.

Also

While I'll still main the 'Dorf, I've decided to pick up all heavies. What should I know about DK? Are their any good guides for him?

Thanks in advance!
I don't know about in-depth guides, but watching DKWill, Average Joe and Emery matches from tournaments really helps show how DK should fight his really hard matchups like Sonic and Diddy. Plus, the amount of hype whenever DK breaks a shield is awesome.

I also play all the heavies, and DK is my favorite, but be aware that out of all of them DK has it the worst because of how easily comboed he gets, how any move will hit him even if you're behind the opponent, and how frustrating FD can get.
But I think you'll find his high speed (for a heavy) and pressure game very rewarding.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Hey guys I've found a cool 'documentary' on the 'Kong' species. ;)

What's your favorite part of the 'documentary' ?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Hey guys I've found a cool 'documentary' on the 'Kong' species. ;)

What's your favorite part of the 'documentary' ?
"But Donkey Kong is rarely seen these days without his nephew, Diddy Kong, except in Mario KART EIGHT BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON THEY BELIEVE MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE F***ING 4 BABY MARIOS IN THE GAME RATHER THAN F***ING DIDDY KONG."

Video was hilarious. 10 bananas out of 10 bananas.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Greetings fellow heavyweights!

Over at the Ganon boards, we're currently discussing the Ganon vs DK matchup. If some of you could provide input, that would be wonderful!
Link here

Also, I myself would like to go up against some of you to get an idea of what Ganondorf can do against Kong Cyclone. Any takers?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Greetings fellow heavyweights!

Over at the Ganon boards, we're currently discussing the Ganon vs DK matchup. If some of you could provide input, that would be wonderful!
Link here

Also, I myself would like to go up against some of you to get an idea of what Ganondorf can do against Kong Cyclone. Any takers?
right now?

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys! There's a new Kong on the block xD I decided on a whim today to try out DK (i'm not sure why i haven't before!) and i instantly liked what i saw! I'm certainly looking forward to delving deeper into the tactics of the mighty ape!

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
OK, pardon the massive delay (only about half a month no big deal), but now I'd like to see if anyone's up for some custom matches. I'd like to get an impression of Custom Ganon vs Custom DK.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
OK, pardon the massive delay (only about half a month no big deal), but now I'd like to see if anyone's up for some custom matches. I'd like to get an impression of Custom Ganon vs Custom DK.
I actually just unlocked the actually usable customs earlier this week, so I'd finally be able to oblige.

Top Bottom