• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
This is not the thread to discuss strategic, competitive, or important information about Donkey Kong.

Use this thread to socialize with one another. This thread exists to prevent superfluous/unnecessary threads from being created when you only want to talk about something quick, silly, fun, or simple. Use your own judgement as to what you believe is worth creating a thread over.

Normal discussion thread rules apply here, but there is a bit more leniency on what is considered spam.

Overall, try to keep the discussion somewhat relevant to Smash 4 and, most of all, be nice and have fun!

:dk2:

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Brawl DK was perfect. the only problem was D3, MK and olimar.

as long as that annoying grab **** is gone DK would have been top tier.

also need to fix cargo and holding up.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Give Donkey Kong an aerial Down Special. He could probably benefit from it.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
A mid air downward clap that sends a paralyzing shockwave around DK works for me. Basically his clap from Jungle Beat. That with barrel roll instead of that kick and barrel throw would round out Dk well I think.

:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Brawl DK was perfect. the only problem was D3, MK and olimar.

as long as that annoying grab **** is gone DK would have been top tier.

also need to fix cargo and holding up.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

DK had problems outside of those three

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
not really. other than his dash grab being the worst in the game

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Those 3 and ZSS were the worst match ups for Dk. Since the fine mechanics will undoubtedly change I'm not worried about how to buff his current moves as it will just be relative to all the changes the other characters get anyway, but I'd love a brand new move or 2.

:phone:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think they should change his running+attack into the rolling attack he performs in DKC.

That or his Side-B (though I really like that move).

And yes, give him an aereal Down B. Maybe dropping down with both fists, similar to his bopping animation in DKC:R.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I agree that his somersault dashing animation is a long time coming.

Otherwise, pretty happy with his move set. Flavorful, fun. Really expresses giant, mean brawling gorilla.

Other points. Down B should at least raise his hands in the air, so when he lands he automatically goes into pound mode.

Have DK reach out on both sides of his body for a grab. That way he could grab two opponents at the same time and smash them together over his head before flinging them in opposite directions.

Neon!

Smash Lord
DK needs.....

-His fair and dair from smash64, come out much faster than in brawl
-His dash attack from project M, has super armor and great range and speed.
-His aerial down-b could be like Hulk's aerial clap from MVC3, it could possibly have horizontal windboxes http://i.newsarama.com/images/Hulk-Clap-Attack.jpg (couldnt find screenshot from MVC)
-Grounded up-b should be able to move backwards and forwards, aerial up-b should have less landing lag like in melee.
-Shield should be slightly larger to prevent shield poking.

DK would have been much better in brawl if it wasnt for chain grabs, he still loses badly to mk and olimar and to a lesser extent diddy and ZSS.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
My list of ideas for my favorite giant ape;

-I like the idea of being able to use his Down B as a DKJB-style clap+shockwave.
-A DKC style roll for his dash attack (like Project M)
-Pull out a barrel as one of his taunts to help with approach.
-An idea I came up with to help several characters (DK, Link, Samus, etc.) with recovery: being able to grab and propel off of enemies in the air.

GoofBall

Smash Journeyman

-I like the idea of being able to use his Down B as a DKJB-style clap+shockwave.
-An idea I came up with to help several characters (DK, Link, Samus, etc.) with recovery: being able to grab and propel off of enemies in the air.
Pretty much perfect.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Guess who needs a New Final Smash! He needs a FS that better represents him. Not some stupid Drums that do lil damage. I would want him to ride on his rhino and ram other characters of the d*** map!

Veggi

Smash Champion
I remade DK's moveset so that it's actually from his games.

Walljump: Yes (he can wall jump in Jungle Beat, even though it bothered me that DK was the only DK character in it, he can still do it, plus DK is a platformer character and even in Smash he's designed on being an agile heavy weight.)

Wall cling: No (He doesn't cling to walls, obviously.)

Crawl: Yes (DK can crawl, he does it to get under things in DKC.)

Specials

Up B: Barrel Cannon, he gets into a barrel cannon and it's the type that rotates around and you press A to make it shoot at the desired point. Sonic makes a spring come out of nowhere, DK can do it too. This was a major part of DKC. (Origin: DKC)

Neutral B: HIS COCONUT GUN IT FIRES IN SPURTS IF HE SHOOTS YA ITS GONNA HURT. It helps DK with ranged characters, he does it in his games, and it's an original projectile because it fires in spurts. (Origin: DK64)

Side B: Roll, it's his signature move from DKC why wasn't it in Smash? Anyway, it functions as an attack that does mild damage, and has some lag at the end, yet if the move connects it erases the lag (the exact same as in Donkey Kong Country.) Now I'm going to quote Cranky Kong on this one "Roll off a platform and jump to do a Super Jump!" Think of the combo potential. I love just thinking about it. This is a perfect move for Smash. Albeit a bit complex. >_> (Origin: DKC)

Down B: Same, I actually like this move, go figure. (Origin: DKC)

Dash Attack

Dash Attack: Supports self with hands and swings forward with both feet. (Origin: DK64)

Standard A Combo

Standard A Combo: Slap, slap, both hands down slap. (Origin: DK64)

Tilts

Forward Tilt: Same, but this move would be weaker, but have a bit nicer reach. (Origin: DK64)

Down Tilt: Punch at the ground two times. (two hit attack) (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Up Tilt: Clap, creates a ball of sound that hits all around him. (This isn't as over powered as it sounds guys, it does low damage just like most tilts, and his up tilt hits all around him in Brawl.) (Origin DK: Jungle Beat)

Smashes

Forward Smash: That awesome looking uppercut from the link I put up here. Would KO off the top of the stage and imagine getting a hit the screen KO from that. @_@ (Origin: DKC2)

Up Smash: He would have one of those freak moves like Ganny's up tilt and half of Snake's moves. DK would duck and throw an orange above him and the orange would asplode. (Origin: DK64)

Down Smash: DK makes a wide stance and slams his arms out to the left in right like when he breaks out of the ropes in DKC2 (yeah this is sort of lame, I'm sorry. ) (Origin: DKC2)

Aerials

Forward Air: Same, one of the 3 moves I liked. (Origin: DK64)

Down Air: Does a ground pound, it has a hit box that surrounds DK when he lands, but he's still a bit vulnerable. (Origin: DK64)

Uair: DK spins counter clock-wise with his foot out, if people get hit they get carried around with it and spiked at the end. Yes, a uair that spikes, how awesome. This would have tricky timing similiar to Ness' dair though. (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Neutral Air: Pulls himself into a ball, like rolling off a platform in DKC, you could attack people in the air in front of you. (Origin: DKC)

Back Air: DK hits people with his back while doing a backflip. One of the more lame moves, I know. (Origin: DK64)

Throws

Forward throw: Cargo'ing I actually did like this move, I forgot about it. (Origin: DKC, or if you want to include the "Donkey Kong" Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong.)

Up throw: Has a forwardish knock back, the way DK threw barrels in DKC. (Origin: DKC)

Down throw: Jumps ontop of the opponent and punches rapidly. (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Back Throw: Gorilla Grab. Has a lengthy grab animation, but is the strongest throw in the game. That thing DK does to pull levers in DK64 after Cranky gives him the potion. (Origin: DK64)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I really liked DK in brawl because they amped up his reach! (It seemed in Melee most of his attacks would curl towards his body) Keep those long arms!
Rambi the Rhino would be a much more fitting Final Smash.
I hope they retain DK's voice as is. (He Sounds Like an Actual Gorilla as opposed to his new voice which sounds like someone going Ook ook!)

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I really liked DK in brawl because they amped up his reach! (It seemed in Melee most of his attacks would curl towards his body) Keep those long arms!
Rambi the Rhino would be a much more fitting Final Smash.
I hope they retain DK's voice as is. (He Sounds Like an Actual Gorilla as opposed to his new voice which sounds like someone going Ook ook!)
I'm really against that. Donkey is not an ordinary gorilla. Though, he does need a new VA. Something akin to his voice from DK64. Or even that cartoon... maybe not.

I remade DK's moveset so that it's actually from his games.

Walljump: Yes (he can wall jump in Jungle Beat, even though it bothered me that DK was the only DK character in it, he can still do it, plus DK is a platformer character and even in Smash he's designed on being an agile heavy weight.)

Wall cling: No (He doesn't cling to walls, obviously.)

Crawl: Yes (DK can crawl, he does it to get under things in DKC.)

Specials

Up B: Barrel Cannon, he gets into a barrel cannon and it's the type that rotates around and you press A to make it shoot at the desired point. Sonic makes a spring come out of nowhere, DK can do it too. This was a major part of DKC. (Origin: DKC)

Neutral B: HIS COCONUT GUN IT FIRES IN SPURTS IF HE SHOOTS YA ITS GONNA HURT. It helps DK with ranged characters, he does it in his games, and it's an original projectile because it fires in spurts. (Origin: DK64)

Side B: Roll, it's his signature move from DKC why wasn't it in Smash? Anyway, it functions as an attack that does mild damage, and has some lag at the end, yet if the move connects it erases the lag (the exact same as in Donkey Kong Country.) Now I'm going to quote Cranky Kong on this one "Roll off a platform and jump to do a Super Jump!" Think of the combo potential. I love just thinking about it. This is a perfect move for Smash. Albeit a bit complex. >_> (Origin: DKC)

Down B: Same, I actually like this move, go figure. (Origin: DKC)

Dash Attack

Dash Attack: Supports self with hands and swings forward with both feet. (Origin: DK64)

Standard A Combo

Standard A Combo: Slap, slap, both hands down slap. (Origin: DK64)

Tilts

Forward Tilt: Same, but this move would be weaker, but have a bit nicer reach. (Origin: DK64)

Down Tilt: Punch at the ground two times. (two hit attack) (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Up Tilt: Clap, creates a ball of sound that hits all around him. (This isn't as over powered as it sounds guys, it does low damage just like most tilts, and his up tilt hits all around him in Brawl.) (Origin DK: Jungle Beat)

Smashes

Forward Smash: That awesome looking uppercut from the link I put up here. Would KO off the top of the stage and imagine getting a hit the screen KO from that. @_@ (Origin: DKC2)

Up Smash: He would have one of those freak moves like Ganny's up tilt and half of Snake's moves. DK would duck and throw an orange above him and the orange would asplode. (Origin: DK64)

Down Smash: DK makes a wide stance and slams his arms out to the left in right like when he breaks out of the ropes in DKC2 (yeah this is sort of lame, I'm sorry. ) (Origin: DKC2)

Aerials

Forward Air: Same, one of the 3 moves I liked. (Origin: DK64)

Down Air: Does a ground pound, it has a hit box that surrounds DK when he lands, but he's still a bit vulnerable. (Origin: DK64)

Uair: DK spins counter clock-wise with his foot out, if people get hit they get carried around with it and spiked at the end. Yes, a uair that spikes, how awesome. This would have tricky timing similiar to Ness' dair though. (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Neutral Air: Pulls himself into a ball, like rolling off a platform in DKC, you could attack people in the air in front of you. (Origin: DKC)

Back Air: DK hits people with his back while doing a backflip. One of the more lame moves, I know. (Origin: DK64)

Throws

Forward throw: Cargo'ing I actually did like this move, I forgot about it. (Origin: DKC, or if you want to include the "Donkey Kong" Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong.)

Up throw: Has a forwardish knock back, the way DK threw barrels in DKC. (Origin: DKC)

Down throw: Jumps ontop of the opponent and punches rapidly. (Origin: DK: Jungle Beat)

Back Throw: Gorilla Grab. Has a lengthy grab animation, but is the strongest throw in the game. That thing DK does to pull levers in DK64 after Cranky gives him the potion. (Origin: DK64)
What about those that like his current moveset now? One can't just simply change it after it working so well for him. Well, I guess it can always go to Funky Kong.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Well, the thing about his current moveset is that almost all the moves are made up and DK never actually uses them in any of his games. Along with being an extremely bland, boring, and unimaginative moveset.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Well, the thing about his current moveset is that almost all the moves are made up and DK never actually uses them in any of his games. Along with being an extremely bland, boring, and unimaginative moveset.
What you call "Bland and Boring," I call "Practical and Believable." It's perhaps the most down-to-earth moveset in all of Super Smash Bros. not to mention that he have much less to work with before the first SSB for the N64.

Original moves isn't all that bad as long as it fits the characters, and Donkey's Moveset fits him fine. It's the closest I'll ever get to an actual fighting art in this series!

I mean, sould we also complain about Samus, CF, and the StarFox characters for having original attacks that were never from the source games? And must all attacks be wacky, crazy, and unusual in order to fin in SSB? Really?

Veggi

Smash Champion
But it's not actually believable. It's like if you went to a Skrillex concert and Skrillex started singing a song by Justin Bieber on stage. It's just not what you came for. I came for Donkey Kong, not this imposter. The difference between DK and CF/Star Fox is the amount of source material they had. Those guys ride around in vehicles. DK actually does stuff. Also, no they don't exactly have to be, but when you label it Donkey Kong it should be.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I like how DK's moves are based off of an angry gorilla rather than the actual games but,
His Dash attack should be him curling into a ball and rolling. Keep That Momentum!

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have to say I like DK's move set. I find it flavorful. His specials are unique: Windup punch, spinning like a helicopter, head butting his opponent into the stage, and his signature ground pound.

Sakurai does seem to try to establish a fighting style that compliments the character's style, personality, and movement without necessarily smashing together all of that character's moves into an odd jumble. Each game has its own style and it seems jarring if you mix all the moves from different games without a coherent theme to stitch them all together nicely.

DK's theme in Smash is angry, feral gorilla. I would change his dash into the roll. And maybe do something about the forward Smash so it doesn't look like his Up Smash.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I'm really against that. Donkey is not an ordinary gorilla. Though, he does need a new VA. Something akin to his voice from DK64. Or even that cartoon... maybe not.
Yesss. And he would sing! I agree about a more inspired moveset for him, but I'd like to see him keep some of his moves from brawl. I like the idea of a barrel cannon for his up-b, but I also really like his current up-b. I'll be looking for his roll. Also yes wall jump please. So disappointing.

Really excited for how he's going to change. He plays differently in all 3 smash games and I love him in all 3.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I have to say I like DK's move set. I find it flavorful. His specials are unique: Windup punch, spinning like a helicopter, head butting his opponent into the stage, and his signature ground pound.

Sakurai does seem to try to establish a fighting style that compliments the character's style, personality, and movement without necessarily smashing together all of that character's moves into an odd jumble. Each game has its own style and it seems jarring if you mix all the moves from different games without a coherent theme to stitch them all together nicely.

DK's theme in Smash is angry, feral gorilla. I would change his dash into the roll. And maybe do something about the forward Smash so it doesn't look like his Up Smash.
In the original SSB for the N64, Donkey's Forward Smash Attack was one huge slap. His Forward Strong Attack was a fierce punch. Take that as you will.

One could say the SSF2 has the best version of DK possible. There, his dash attack is the roll.

aba1

Smash Apprentice

In Brawl - if you held down B you could pull out a barrel and throw it at opponents. I thought this was a great addition that made sense. It gave him range that made sense for his character it was strong but clunky and slow and could be reversed on him.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Camelot President Hiroyuki Takahashi says that working on the Donkey Kong series “would prove really interesting” since its “games are full of surprises.” When Donkey Kong 64 was brought up, Takahashi said he “would love to make a sequel to it.” While Takahashi shows interest in the brand, we have to make it clear that no official plans were mentioned.
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=180673

Just something that could lead to promising stuff for DK in Smash 4 if it's followed through. :3

aba1

Smash Apprentice
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=180673

Just something that could lead to promising stuff for DK in Smash 4 if it's followed through. :3
I can't believe people there hate DK64, it is one of my favorite games of all time. That game had so much to do and see I can't believe people actually hate it. To each there own but I was really surprised at the number of people.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
well, DK is the Grappeler of this game, andmost grappelers follow the rules of NO PROJECTILES, so I'm fine with his current neutral B. some changes I'd like to see though:

-I think we all agree his roll would be a better dash attack

-forward air should be a flying grab, which could then have a followup throw with A+a direction(pipe dream, but it would be cool)

-Projectiles go through his Simian Spin when used(think Zangeif's lariat)

other then that,I like the ape as is.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Brawl DK was fine.
The only problem I have with him, is that his attacks have way too much lag, and his comboing isn't really that good either.
Also, I'd like if his Neutral-B was changed to be more like C. Falcon's or Ganondorf's N-B, but instead of it being a normal foward punch, it should be an uppercut, kinda like the way he finishes K. Rool off in DKC2.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Brawl DK would have been fine if Dedede wasn't in the game :/
(and MK/Olimar)

They don't really have to do a lot to improve him over what they had going in Brawl IMO. A faster or less predictable recovery would be a nice addition though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Brawl DK got some sweet buffs I felt, but yeah, DeDeDe ruined quite a lot for his game. I hope he remains mostly the same, except for some increase in super armor attacks, a little bit more speed, and a few changes in his moveset all togheter as th roll attack for either Side B or the Dash Attack to give him a good appraoching attack, and a faster Forward Air. Buffs on his Neutral Aeir would be nice to, as it's a cool looking move and I'd love to be able to actually use it. Also bring back some Melee mechanics on some moves, as the Up Aerial, and the sweet spot on Up B. Increase his range on the Down B as well, and maybe even make it able to charge it up for an increase in power and knockback (and especially, damage) and also improve overall speed of the move, like in DKCR. Make it stun to, and able to destroy shields easily. Then, I think Donkey Kong would be even more awesome than he already is.

I also would like less slapping in his moveset, and more punching. Like his 64's forward tilt for example. That move was pretty sweet looking, but needed more speed and power. Make that happen this time, to improve his overall ground game a bit more to. I also agree that the Gaint Punch could be an uppercut, but why not safe that for a new Side B attack? Make it somewhat like his finishing move in DKCR (against the bosses and Tikis) with a strong uppercut as a final blow? Just throwing out ideas.

DK is awesome. :dk:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
DK is so awesome, he uses the 'Banana Slamma' from the Donkey Kong Country cartoon as his Neutral Special.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Donkey Kong's.

Weak Attacks

1-2: Swipe, Uppercut

Strong Attacks

Upward: Spider Web Swipe
Forward: Backhand Slap
Downward: Slouch Slap

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Ape Applause
Forward: Kong Klap
Downward: Twin Beat

Dash Attack: Konga Kick

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Kong Whirl
Front: Hammer Knuckle
Back: Back Kick
Up: Flying Headbutt
Down: Flying Stomp

Special Attacks

Standard B: Giant Punch
Foward B: Headbutt
Upward B: Spinning Kong
Downward B: Hand Slap

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Jungle Chop
Front: Kong Karry
Back: Donkey Fling
Up: Coconut Toss
Down: Simian Slam

That takes care of that.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
He should get his roll from DKC/R and 64 for his run attack. he never does that dumb kick. The roll would be so good especially if he could chain out of it.

TaterToT

Smash Rookie
DK needs a new final smash something awesome like bowsers where he grows and becomes super powerful. Then you could have bowser vs donkey kong and it would be king kong vs godzilla! That would be awesome! :bluejump:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i think something a little closer to Links, where its like a big display of his punches and what not, ending in one big punch for a ring out

Top Bottom