• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Ove

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, I think his Final Smash is okay. Donkey Konga was a great game, and I am glad that Sakurai implemented something from that game into Smash. Sadly, the Final Smash is just bad. Maybe they could change it, but keep the Donkey Konga aspect in it?

jigglover

Smash Lord
What about mixing the two ideas. Something like a rally of punches and at the bottom of the screen, have the notes(?) running along, and doing the thing that happens when you hit them for each punch.
Or, he could always make his neutral B bongo slam! ;)

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i agree it was a good idea to implement that game into his moveset somehow. however that games pretty old now and unless they plan to make another Donkey Konga i don't think it will come back as his final smash. but i think most of characters are looking at new Final Smashes tho

jigglover

Smash Lord
Yeah! Donkey konga wii u!
Except that it would just use the game pad rather than actual bongos... Saves the bongos slipping off your knees i guess!

D

Deleted member

My only beef with Donkey Konga is that it didn't have the full songs unless the songs themselves are normally short.
Or at least give you the OPTION to play the whole song.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Was that so that they could add in mini-games or something with the data?
I never really found that bad about it, most of the songs just carry on what you'd have already played a few times and it would get repetitive! :laugh:

aba1

Smash Apprentice
If anybody here plated Brawl - I think it would be kinda interesting if they took some influence from that for DK. I loved his ability to use the sheer power from his smashed to push/blow enemies backwards or his how if you hold downB he pulled out a barrel he could throw giving him some range but it can backfire so it kinda evens out.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
If anybody here plated Brawl - I think it would be kinda interesting if they took some influence from that for DK. I loved his ability to use the sheer power from his smashed to push/blow enemies backwards or his how if you hold downB he pulled out a barrel he could throw giving him some range but it can backfire so it kinda evens out.
im really confused as to what your saying. r u saying DK should have a barrel throwing ability and a blowing ability like he does in DKCR or what.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
im really confused as to what your saying. r u saying DK should have a barrel throwing ability and a blowing ability like he does in DKCR or what.
Ahh sorry I will try to be clearer. Basically in "Brawl-" if you use DK's over smash it would push people away if you missed them just like toon links down air when you miss the opponent or Adult links boomerang that can push people away or towards you. I think it would be interesting if they implemented something like this as it helps offset how open you are when you miss.

You could also pull out a Barrel to throw if you held down B (down special) rather than pressing it which would normally be a ground pound. This ability gives DK some much needed range but it is balanced because it is both slow and can be reversed.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Ahh sorry I will try to be clearer. Basically in "Brawl-" if you use DK's over smash it would push people away if you missed them just like toon links down air when you miss the opponent or Adult links boomerang that can push people away or towards you. I think it would be interesting if they implemented something like this as it helps offset how open you are when you miss.

You could also pull out a Barrel to throw if you held down B (down special) rather than pressing it which would normally be a ground pound. This ability gives DK some much needed range but it is balanced because it is both slow and can be reversed.
ok i gotcha a little better. i agree with the forward smash thing. i think his down B is perfect the way it is especially cause now that's actually a move in his games. DK should really stay a close range character imo.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I love DK in Smash 64. I want his triangular head back.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I think it would help if DK's Giant Punch didn't put him into a Helpless State when used in the air.

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It wouldn't fit DK.
It fits Bowser, but not DK.
The first boss you ever fought in Smash 64 is Gaint Donkey Kong. I'd say it's fitting enough.

As a throwback, make him appear in his N64 Smash Bros model as well during the FS.

D

Deleted member

You want Giant DK? Touch a Super Mushroom as DK.

You can even play as Giant Bowser and Giant Kirby from Melee's Adventure Mode this way.

What's next? Making Mario turn into Metal Mario for his Final Smash, but make him use 64's model?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, DK should get his roll just like in Project M. It's actually quite a good move in there from what I've seen, and it gives DK a much better approach option when facing face to face. DK always had problems with approaching options, safe for his B Air, but that is getting predictable. Oh, and I'd love if DK had his F tilt from 64 (the punch) but being just as fast as his current F tilt (the slap) yet a little stronger.

Seeing as DKCR made the roll attack return, I see no reason why DK should keep his extremely awkward dash attack. I hope he also gets a Final Smash based on the game's ending cutscene.

It'd also be cool if DK had a sort of soundwave effect on his Forward Smash, like the attack in Jungle Beat. The more you'd charge up the Forward Smash, the stronger the soundwave gets. And it would push away the opponent a little, or even make them dizzy temporary when more up close. It'd give DK a little better pressure game, and an option to keep faster characters at bay somehow.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just check out how awesome Donkey Kong is in the Melee: SD Remix! Had to bump this thread for it, sorry.

This is how I want my DK to play!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tripple post but who cares? GoldenY is discussing at this moment that DK is more boring and bland than PacMan is. How does that make people here feel? I know nobody is here though...

Anyways! How about a new Side B for DK? I thought of a semi-grappling attack kinda based on this:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bananas are awesome. Best cure for hangovers and ****.

Just ate a banana. It's good.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I don't think Dk is boring by any means, I wish I mained him before Brawl. The mini quakes and cargo throw give him a very unique feel to me. At the same time I do think he and about 7 of the original 12 could use a little more pizazz. The new comers in Brawl just have so much going on compared to those guys.

I think everyone is in agreement he could use his roll. I would love if he got a little jungle beat influence as well. A fully charged Smash releasing a shockwave that can give a bit of paralysis would be great. Or of that's too much give him a shock wave slap in mid air. I don't think any character should be devoid of a down special in mid air.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK plays awesome in Brawl. Really, the only thing that holds him back is King Dedede. In the early days of Brawl, Donkey Kong was the ONLY character considered to have an even matchup against Meta Knight, all due to his awesome long reach. What would help DK also is if you could actually charge the Down B attack, or prolong the attack by holding B. Gaint Punch is a perfect move in Brawl, but could even use more super armor. And priority, it should go through everything.

A rolling attack as his dash attack is long overdue as well.
Shock wave attack on full charged Forward Smash would be awesome to. Give him a sort of extra spacing tool. Or even edgeguarding?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Down B in air: Dk faces screen and slaps his hands in midair. Makes a large circular shock wave. Damage is greater closer in. Only small knockback if the enemy is near DK. While it does give him a projectile of sorts, its uses are limited to damage racking. A niche tool.

Or he could simply raise his hands in the air, and immediately launch into a ground pound when he hits the floor.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I could roll with that mid air down special or the other. Just give him something more Sakurai!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope they give him another Side B than the Headbut actually. Remember Bowser's Side B in Melee? DK could have something similar to that, but instead of biting DK would be punching multiple times. Would have good range on it's hitbox, does decent damage but low knockback. It would give DK a true grappling attack, and that'd suit him very well.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I hope this time around they base DK off his DKCR character renders. I mean as close as possible, he looks great there and id like to see him look a bit more furry like he is rather than his light brown dirty shaggy kinda fur he had in brawl. Along with the big upper body and forearms of course too

Aside from cutscenes he always looked rather mindless in brawl as well, hopefully they bring out a bit more of his character in his animations and facial features this time around

(hes dead behind those eyes)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In my personal opinion, Brawl DK is the best looking Donkey Kong we had. Next comes Returns DK (in game though, as I hate DK with a toothy grin). I hope they'll update his Brawl model with his fur texture from Returns. And please, use his DK64 voice. Ookay??

Furthermore, I loved how DK played in Brawl! He's so fun, and every hit just feels SO rewarding. If it wasn't for lame ass chainthrows, DK could've been High Tier easily, on par with Pit most likely if not better.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
In my personal opinion, Brawl DK is the best looking Donkey Kong we had. Next comes Returns DK (in game though, as I hate DK with a toothy grin). I hope they'll update his Brawl model with his fur texture from Returns. And please, use his DK64 voice. Ookay??
Theres no way they would go with his DK64 voice, and i never understood why people disliked when dk would smile with his teeth showing. Just because the rare renders gave him a toothless beak doesnt mean he should remain like that, especially since hes had teeth present since the original DK.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It just looks extremely goofy and stupid. Especially in Mario Kart DS, my dear Lord the horrors...

Anyways, hope they actually give him the roll dash attack in this Smash. It's long overdue now.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I love seeing his teeth. Takes me back to DK arcade and Donkey Kong 94! Love the voice in Returns and Jungle Beat as well. Hate the rough and furry Brawl look and I really hate the DK 64 voice. Wow for being a guy who Champions DK with Diddy Kong here, we sure do have total opposite views on the aesthetics of the character.

For everything else though I love it, especially how he plays in Brawl. Despite me wanting him to throw a barrel as a projectile there is something I absolutely love about DK just using his body to take down opponents. It really turned me off of Diddy to find he had not 1, not 2, but 3 item based moves and two that I hated with a passion from DK 64. Luckily a few years later Retro made the jet pack and pop gun acceptable in my Donkey Kongey eyes.

I hope Dixie is more like DK if she makes it in. More close combat specials with that long banana hair of hers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It looked just terrible in Mario Kart DS and the Mario vs Donkey Kong games. Jungle Beat DK especially I disliked. It looked like DK went on some serious acid trip in that game honestly. He actief nothing like himself. I do however appreciatie DK being a total badass in Jungle Beat. He's insanely strong in that game.

The Brawl look looks like a great fusion of DK's carefree DKC-self and his badass Jungle Beat-self. A Barrel Throw attack would be awesome, and he also really needs that roll Dash Attack much like in P:M. I thought of making his Down B chargeable as well, and make it come out faster.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
^stage song or stage song

I choose the former

Top Bottom