• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

Oreilliusthe2nd

Smash Rookie
So apparently you can crouch cancel with DK and if you do it fast enough you can pull off something similar to a dash dance.

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
And is storm punch from something? I like to think I know DK pretty well but I have no idea.
Also, does it blow enemies away or suck them towards his punch? Either would be great.
It might be stemming from his Blow attack from DKCR, but there's also a custom special move for DK called "Giant Blow" that's supposed to be his up b. I don't really know. It's even more confusing because DK's Neutral B is called Giant Punch, so if the naming of custom moves follows the same pattern as Mario's, that would make Giant Blow implied to be his Neutral B. But it's apparently not. It would make sense for Storm Punch to also be called Giant Blow. What a nightmare.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Most custom moves are just made up from the ground. Mario never has a Scalding FLUDD nor a Shocking Cape in his games after all.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Nice Donkey Kong chant! What was the old one?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can't remember, I think it was some generic chanting of "Donkey Kong! Donkey Kong!".

What's cool about this one, is that it references the DK Rap from DK64. The way they chant "DK! Donkey Kong!" is to the beat of the rap.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I haven't seen anyone discussing this yet so I'm going to post this here in case anyone missed it. I'm not sure if DK was always capable of doing this but it seemed rather impressive so I thought you all might find it interesting or at least amusing.

http://youtu.be/_V1L3Br2GYk?t=5h27m8s

Check out DK's recovery versus Mario's cape.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I haven't seen anyone discussing this yet so I'm going to post this here in case anyone missed it. I'm not sure if DK was always capable of doing this but it seemed rather impressive so I thought you all might find it interesting or at least amusing.

http://youtu.be/_V1L3Br2GYk?t=5h27m8s

Check out DK's recovery versus Mario's cape.
Did you mean the invincibility frames at the start up? When I used DK the other day someone came at me with a hammer so I used a grounded spinning kong. The first two hits of the spinning kong tanked the hammer but after that I got blasted away. It's going to be much more useful this time around.

Or maybe you meant the fact that DK actually made it back? In Brawl I remember a few reversal moves always seemed to kill me 100%. I might be thinking of Bowser but I feel like the cape and Pit's shield always sent me way the heck back in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Did you mean the invincibility frames at the start up? When I used DK the other day someone came at me with a hammer so I used a grounded spinning kong. The first two hits of the spinning kong tanked the hammer but after that I got blasted away. It's going to be much more useful this time around.

Or maybe you meant the fact that DK actually made it back? In Brawl I remember a few reversal moves always seemed to kill me 100%. I might be thinking of Bowser but I feel like the cape and Pit's shield always sent me way the heck back in the opposite direction.
I was referring to the fact that he was able to make it back after being reversed, it probably won't be a huge deal in top-level play since you might just get caped a second time but at least the second chance is there. It's looking like the cape will need to be done later in DK's recovery to absolutely guarantee the gimp.

Luigi player

Smash Master
While DK doesn't seem to be able to get off of platforms during his grounded upB anymore, it seems like he can still get onto platforms with it. Even without slopes (he could do it on battlefield while being offstage and going onstage without grabbing the ledge)! Not that it means much though, since he'll immediately go to the ending anymation of the grounded upB if that happens.

They really thought of everything to deny us the great invincicopter. :(

Last edited:

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Greetings, gentlemen. It's certainly been a while =x

I wanted to let you guys know that I'll be playtesting DK for the first time tonight. I'll be sure to post any interesting findings/tactics here in the DK boards if you guys were interested!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Alrighty, clean-up is underway. Closed the majority of the pre-release speculation threads. If I missed anything, let me know.~

I think the thing I'm most excited about is Down B having use in the air now, as well as the roll attack. Cotton Candy Kong isn't half bad, either.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Yeah he is, so nice to play this character without getting chain grabbed in every other match up.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
With some characters being unable to SH double aerial anymore, DK pulling off SH double Bair is so satisfying.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's only second to getting multiple shield breaks in a single match with his Side B, for me.

That and tech chasing with his down tilt (provided they trip).

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
He's glorious. It was everything I hoped that could change for DK, he actually feels like he can viably combo now. It's disturbing - I've actually won a few matches - though every super pro here would still kill me

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Donkey Kong newb here. Need advice.

What are his individual throws for?
Which is more practical to use? NAir or BAir?
Any particular times where Down B is best used?
What about Side B?
How reliable is Spinning Kong as an OOS option?
Why is lag such a *****?

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think I've horrified young minds of children online. Being picked up by a pink ape and twirled around has to leave a scar on the mind.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729

What are his individual throws for?

Kind of an odd question but personally I use mostly back throw (For the damage and to get people off stage) or the cargo up throw for a decently free jumping Uair follow-up or to bait an air-dodge and punish accordingly.
Anyone know if down throw is useful? seems like most people just tech roll away or easily escape any follow up attempt.

Which is more practical to use? NAir or BAir?

They are each situational. Nair has some situations that make it really good because it now auto cancels. Maybe someone else can answer this in more detail. Overall I think Bair is safer but nair can lead into more if auto canceled and space correctly.

Any particular times where Down B is best used?

I use it after dtilt(s) or if I see people forward roll alot after being pressured. Not sure if it has new uses.

What about Side B?

its a great pressure option if people hide in their shields and a good tool if people are shield grabbing you landing moves.
(Others may have better uses they will post)

How reliable is Spinning Kong as an OOS option?

No idea. Also experienced DK players please correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Maybe you guys can help me with a general problem I'm having. What can I do about people that just roll around me?

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
try to get a handle on what their rolling patterns are.

Down-b should work great if you use it knowing that the person will roll.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One thing I notice that online players like to do is back roll after an attack whiffs. So dash attacking or grab them is probably one of the better options there.

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not but on mushroomy kingdom, near the end, on the first stair next to the pipe and use up special hold down and you go through the floor.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Alright DK brethren, let's get this party poppin'. How are you guys liking the new Smash so far? I've been dabbling in a few other characters this time around as well, but I feel like DK can definitely hold his own. If you guys ever want to play, PM me your FC!!

My FC is 3497-1934-6087.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I got a great kill on a Duck Hunt the other day. He kicked a can at me mid-Donkey Punch, the can got bounced, he got hit by my punch, and got knocked into the can and pretty much got double killed. He would've died from the punch alone, but that can was the icing on the sweet, sweet cake.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
I got a great kill on a Duck Hunt the other day. He kicked a can at me mid-Donkey Punch, the can got bounced, he got hit by my punch, and got knocked into the can and pretty much got double killed. He would've died from the punch alone, but that can was the icing on the sweet, sweet cake.
Amazing haha. That reminds me of a kill I had on Little Mac. I didn't know how to save replays yet which is a tragedy... but here's what happened:

Little Mac lies in wait with his KO punch, I'm returning from off stage with a fully charged giant punch. I fall in and both of our punches collide. My super armor kicks in, the giant punch goes THROUGH his KO punch and sends him flying off the right side. Meanwhile the momentum from getting hit by his punch sends DK into the vulnerable state and sliding off the left side of the stage, down into the bottom blast zone. Mac dies off the right to end the match before I fall to my death. @_@

tl;dr
DK can super armor punch through Little Mac's KO punch =x

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
What do I do against characters that camp with projectiles? I have a lot of problems with them... x_x

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Some match ups against projectile characters are mostly likely going to end up not being in our favor, so I think projectile discussion will come up often.

Projectiles act as something you have to react to in some way. People will safely throw out projectiles until they can punish your reaction. It is important to have a really strong defense game. Mix up how you react to the projectiles and do your best not become impatient.

As far as DK specific advice goes I don't know any tricks to getting in. You most likely can jump in over projectiles and make sure you space an air attack correctly so you won't get punished. Also, I know this from experience is that many players that like the projectile style characters is that they love their shields, a gimmick that might only work once or twice is jumping in and faking like you will do a punishable move then trying to break the shield with side b.

Also other DK's let me know if I am not giving sound advice. I am only a mid level player.

Tujex

Smash Ace
DK's shield breaking ability to god tier in this game. Most of his attacks will instabreak shields if the opponent doesn't drop it immediately after eating a headbutt. It feels so good to watch opponents run as I come back to the stage to prevent a shield break.

Tujex

Smash Ace
What do I do against characters that camp with projectiles? I have a lot of problems with them... x_x
Learn which projectiles you can stop. DK's Ftilt, and basic jab can cancel out a LOT of projectiles in this game. UpB can also tank a lot, and take advantage of the godly shield damage heabutt does when your forced to jump on against opponents like Link. The headbutt will keep you from getting grabbed out of your aerials when you jump in because after that first shieldbreak, most opponents will run from you or dodgeroll and open themselves up...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I'm an idiot and have been power shielding wrong for years. YEARS! That is one major key vs projectile spammers. At least approaching them head on without always taking the hit. I think it's a much better option than dodging all together. Well I suppose it depends on the projectile.

Duck Hunt - Dash attack Rolling against the Gas Can will bounce it back towards Duck Hunt. If you Power Shield the frisbee and let go too early you can get caught in the frisbee explosion.

Lucario - Every Neutral and forward tilt will completely get rid of aura sphere. I tested it all the way up to 100%. Doesn't matter how big it gets if you time it right and can't shield or you are stuck in mid air then a Nair can get rid of it. But only if it hits DK's fists. It won't work on any other part of the body.

Ness - PK Fire - Power field, punish.

Zero Suit Samus - Don't try to dodge the paralyzer beam every time it flies at you. Again power shield is the best option as far as I can tell so far.

King Dedede - Forward tilt easily sends Gordo back. So does jab but forward tilt is best. Don't roll against Gordo.

That's all I got for now.

@ Big-Cat Big-Cat - Bair is more useful but both cancel will into jabs. If you jump over the target with a Bair go for the jab, if they are still in front go for the up tilt immediately. Nair cancels into jab very well and is much safer than it was in Brawl. Sometimes it's all you got when getting back on the stage. And if it comes to it Nair will get rid of Charge Shots from Lucario and Samus. It's difficult and super duper risky but if it's all you got it's all you got.

DownB is good for people constantly rolling especially if you can predict their rolls and down b right in front of them. The thing is though when they bounce up in the air you have a very good chance of getting hit. I notice many DK's don't like that move at all but for me it is absolutely worth it when I predict dash attacks and such. Some stubborn people hold their shields and get em smashed by that move as well.

Side B connects much easier than it ever did. Either down tilt until they pop out at lower %, stand right over them and ready an Up Smash or hit them while they are down with a Down Smash. Honestly if you are well versed in how high the characters can jump jumping right over and down airing them has been working fairly well for me. But since characters can dig themselves out off the ground so quickly I have yet to find an option with a high success rate. Though if I was quicker on the draw it might be my bread and butter.

But that move is best used when the enemy is coming out of a roll or you are predicting the shield.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
So, DK is incredibly fun and I'm probably going to add him to my huge list of subs that might thin down as I play but, WOW!

The best results I got with him were pretty solid, four people in a row quit after one loss against expanded pink Dong. Opening people up with this character is great.

Twewy

Smash Lord
@ DKwill DKwill , did you play a dude named Eric a day or two ago? I ran across a good green DK and thought of you.

Shog

Smash Ace
Donkey Kong is, again, a character getting much funnier to play with Custom moves, especially, ESPECIALLY the UP B with the Wind effect.

Seriously, why are some/most custom moves not the standard moveset :/

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Sup guys. It's been a while since I've really posted or played much smash. Nice to see some of the old guard still here and some new faces too. I'm still getting used to the changes from Brawl, but overall I am optimistic. Not sure if I'll end up maining DK, but he is still very fun.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
Hey.. has anyone found a use for the air Down-b? I tried it a few times but ..

dat landing lag tho.. =[

Top Bottom