• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Looks like an aerial Hand Slap to me.
View attachment 8012
You know originally I assumed that was a down throw. The animation is similar but after comparing the two, the Brawl down throw animation never has Donkey Kong remove his right hand from ground after slamming the opponent. Also while I'm not sure if Luigi and/or Mario is using an air dodge to look like they both got hit, I think this attack did strike both of them. I don't think DK's down throw could do that while another player was close.

You might be right, this could very well be the first, mid air, down special DK has ever had in the entire series!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
You know originally I assumed that was a down throw. The animation is similar but after comparing the two, the Brawl down throw animation never has Donkey Kong remove his right hand from ground after slamming the opponent. Also while I'm not sure if Luigi and/or Mario is using an air dodge to look like they both got hit, I think this attack did strike both of them. I don't think DK's down throw could do that while another player was close.

You might be right, this could very well be the first, mid air, down special DK has ever had in the entire series!
Well...yeah...Mario is just doing his down taunt but Luigi is getting hit by DK and yes DK never removed his hand while using his down throw. This is such a great buff.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, DK fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out!) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Currently, DK is fairly high and looks like he's a lock, but voting for him couldn't hurt.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I don't see anyone posting here, but thought I'd ask anyways. Did anyone see how Donkey Kong's up+B doesn't seem to have any knock back in the latest direct?
Check it out here at 8:16

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I don't see anyone posting here, but thought I'd ask anyways. Did anyone see how Donkey Kong's up+B doesn't seem to have any knock back in the latest direct?
Check it out here at 8:16
Yes, Mega Man didn't move a muscle. During the first trailer Link does get knocked back from the same attack so either the properties have changed or something very specific was keeping Mega Man from taking hit stun.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
When the game is out (both 3DS and Wii U), I'm gonna be using DK the most at first.

Him and Captain Falcon are the two characters I'm most familiar with since they've been there from the start, and DK has the more "standard" moveset meaning it'd be easier to learn how the game works at first. He's always been one of the my mains but I can't wait to use him here.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
in PM, DK was kinda OP... his grabs were very easy to perform and make a combo out of it that most of the time meteors... I'm curious to in how far the smash 4 DK will look like the PM one.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
All but confirmed for demo, people. What is it, now? 11 days? 11 days and I can get my hands on my main man DK again.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
All but confirmed for demo, people. What is it, now? 11 days? 11 days and I can get my hands on my main man DK again.
Prepare to be bombarded with questions. :p

Though the moment you start you should immediately b-air. Constantly. Then you nod your head at it being still as good as ever while telling yourself "good. good. this is perfect. yes yes."

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Prepare to be bombarded with questions. :p

Though the moment you start you should immediately b-air. Constantly. Then you nod your head at it being still as good as ever while telling yourself "good. good. this is perfect. yes yes."
Bair really has been DK's best go-to move.

I like how, in a video I saw today, the commentator was mentioning how Samus was a terrible matchup for DK; not only because of the projectiles, but because it's hard to keep facing backwards versus a character like that. I feel like Megaman might be the same way.

At the same time, though, I feel like Bair is easy to rely on too much. It's easy to stress out about keeping in Bair mode and to miss opportunities. DK has many other good mix-up options versus more neutral matchups.

I dunno. It's been a long time since I practiced at Melee, and maybe I'm just a scrub. Honestly? I'm most excited about his NEW ROLL ATTACK. HERE'S HOPING IT HELPS HIM GET IN ON PROJECTILE CHARACTERS, I SAY. Some armor, perhaps? DK doesn't have much of that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That's the thing about DK, repetitiveness in moves can really hurt. You have to mix it up with him.

I doubt the roll attack will be much help vs projectile but if it can help his forward approach (because seriously DK DOES approach with his back lol) then it can be a great asset to have.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That's the thing about DK, repetitiveness in moves can really hurt. You have to mix it up with him.

I doubt the roll attack will be much help vs projectile but if it can help his forward approach (because seriously DK DOES approach with his back lol) then it can be a great asset to have.
I think the whole "using Bair for forward momentum" thing is cool, but I feel like the dash attack could afford DK a greater measure of speed in his forward approach. If I'm right... that's going to be pretty hype. I guess I'll see in about a week, eh?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
In honor of the lovable ape, I present, JoDK!

By yours truly.

"You expected chocolate, but it was me, DeeKay!"

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Donkey Kongs down air comes out much faster than Brawls. He seems to get lots of momentum on the standing up special as well.

Roll attack has decent range. In actual play it looks abs feels much better than I initially thought.

His action figure looks amazing!!!!

Oh and his Final Smash is the same. Only now there are scrolling notes to hit with the bongo beat. I suppose it helps if a match is lagging and aesthetically it's pretty cool.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Oh and his Final Smash is the same. Only now there are scrolling notes to hit with the bongo beat. I suppose it helps if a match is lagging and aesthetically it's pretty cool.
Are you serious? My god is that a let down, he had the worst possible smash ever and where other characters get new ones he continues to stay the same. Geez

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
An interesting thing I read on Reddit. Apparently, the players in the invitational thought DK was pretty good. They said he sort of felt like Melee DK.

Luigi player

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08EUoFqs10

when landing with upB you go down before it ends and get much less lag. so they changed that from the initial smash4 trailer at last years E3! that is great.

it also looks like he gets a little boost with his dashgrab. totally different than brawls where he'd just get slower.

this is awesome. like sakurai said he seems to be a really really good character atm. I really hope he stays like that, and that there won't be any stupid infinite stuff like in brawl.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Treehouse makes it sound like he has the same realistic gorilla voice.
However, it could change if there simply wasn't enough time to get the voice actor. For example, Pit, ZSS, and Kirby have entirely new voices, while Mario and DK are reusing their Brawl ones at the moment.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I tried doing short hop double back air and since the game moves a little faster than Brawl I don't think its possible. I could have just been messing up with all the people and distractions around but I wasn't bale to pull it off.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Can anyone going to Best Buy please play (without completely sucking like the one or two other DK users I've seen) and record footage of DK? I'd like to see the stylistic changes they made to his Final Smash, as well as his color palettes (is Eddie the Mean Old Yeti back?) and victory animation/theme.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The final smash was shown during the Treehouse event just recently. Only alt color I've seen is the black one with the yellow tie.

D

Deleted member

The final smash was shown during the Treehouse event just recently. Only alt color I've seen is the black one with the yellow tie.
Additionally, I saw during the Treehouse stream that DK's Blueish color is returning, although it seemed to be slightly more purple than in past iterations, and the corresponding tie was a color different than in past games as well, iirc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Final Smash should power DK up temporarly after using it... It's still gonna be horrible, it at least should have some benefits to it. And DK flexes like a mofo and the end of it, so it would make sense to even.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Additionally, I saw during the Treehouse stream that DK's Blueish color is returning, although it seemed to be slightly more purple than in past iterations, and the corresponding tie was a color different than in past games as well, iirc.
That alt is gorgeous I have to say, yeah it's more purple and the tie is pink.

DK alts so far from the demo:

Black w/ Yellow tie
Red w/ Blue tie
Purple w/ Pink tie

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People are still grasping at straws regarding DK's voice, despite the fact that we already heard his gorilla noises in the demo and that we got to hear some DK sound clips during the Smash Bros. portion of the Digital Event. Right, right, the VA couldn't make it in time to record his clips for the E3 or whatever, keep telling that to yourselves.

And regarding his Final Smash, that move is actually pretty good. It was just a little difficult to time it therefore why some quickly dismissed it as useless. It is even going to be easier to perform this time around. The shockwaves it produces have considerable knockback and have a large radius that can easily cover stages like Battlefield or Final Destination and make the attack very difficult to avoid. People ought a learn to use it well before saying that it's bad.

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet or not but it looks like it may be useful so check this out. http://youtu.be/Y7XotZQyWr0?t=2m10s Looks like he canceled his footstool animation right into spinning kong there. This is probably a universal change but since DK is showing it off here I thought the DK mains might like the footage. I've seen a few other interesting things regarding the "stone step jump" mechanics in this version that I'll probably analyze later on.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08EUoFqs10

when landing with upB you go down before it ends and get much less lag. so they changed that from the initial smash4 trailer at last years E3! that is great.

it also looks like he gets a little boost with his dashgrab. totally different than brawls where he'd just get slower.

this is awesome. like sakurai said he seems to be a really really good character atm. I really hope he stays like that, and that there won't be any stupid infinite stuff like in brawl.
well, sorta but no
theres at least two versions. the version you linked to, the the brawl version, which is still in the game because ive played and saw it (its also 10 seconds later in that vid)

this makes sense though. the mega punch still makes you helpless in the air, but only if youre really high up. it seems the upb works the same way

the only thing. i hope theres still a brawl style lagless version. that animation at the end of the one you linked is too laggy

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DK channeling mother nature's powers to hurt some fools

"It's MY jungle, *****"

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am looking forward to DK's other custom moves! This Storm Punch is the best thing I've seen yet from all custom moves! I really hope the rest of the custom moves are as incredible as this!

Annex

Smash Ace
And is storm punch from something? I like to think I know DK pretty well but I have no idea.
Also, does it blow enemies away or suck them towards his punch? Either would be great.

Top Bottom