• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong Needs to STOP!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
What is the deal with Donkey Kong and Nintendo anyway? Are they going to use him for anything other than Mario sport games?
No, they've given up some of the old, great franchises like Donkey Kong, and the other good ones are being turned into crap-tacular marketing platforms.

Poor Zelda, when Link rides a balance board, I will hang from the rafters :(

Darkslash

Smash Master
You sir need to attend your science classes. Turtles and Crocodiles/Alligators are all reptiles. What in the world would a(n) crocodile/alligator be if they weren't reptiles? :laugh:
Looks back a few pages and i said i reliazed my mistake GOD WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Yea i was never really a fan of Donkey kong, even though my first Gameboy game WAS donkey kong.

Warp$tar Lover

Smash Cadet
DK NEEDS TO STOP NOTHING!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Where ELSE are these characters going to show up??

Nintendo has given up, sadly, on my series.

But, I suppose there are certain few who feel they deserve to be remembered or such.

There are too many MARIO characters if you ask me, but yeah..don' get me started on mah DK series.

Edit: And yes, we need DKC Wii, it would solve every problem DK fans are having. **** you Nintendo!
Well to answer your DKC Wii problem I heard they are re-releasing DK Jungle Beat for the Wii with added stages improved visuals and widescreen support. The controls are being revamped too: Move DK with the nunchuck control stick and jump with A, while using motion controls for the punching and continuous jumping.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You're welcome.

I just can't fathom why Nintendo Tokyo claim that the DKC characters are not 'fresh enough' despite the fact that Mario, Peach, Bowser, Goombas, Koopas and Luigi have been created TWENTY YEARS AGO and they were just featured in Super Mario Galaxy!

There wasn't even any DK ARCADE references. >_>

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Miyamoto's influence brought on by his dislike of the DKCs?

Apart from that, I don't know.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
That Donkey Kong is the ancestor of the present day Donkey Kong however. It has been speculated that Donkey Kong Jr. is Donkey Kong at a young age, but that story is still debatable, considering that both DK and DK Jr. appeared in Mario Tennis 64.
Don't let the fact that DK and DK Jr appeared in the same game fool you. Mario and Baby Mario appeared in that game too. As well as many others.
I think Donkey Kong Jr. is Dk at a young age.

Warp$tar Lover

Smash Cadet
That's not DKC. That's just the ****** of DK thanks to Nintendo Tokyo
Mmmm...well I know the game isn't AS good as the earlier titles (as in DKC and DK64) but it actually came...dare I say it, pretty darn close. I was surprised how well the bongos worked with controllling the lovable ape. Don't overlook this title as another Crap DK game from Nintendo...because this was one of the best Gamecube platformers out there right now...

That's not to say it's the best DK game, but don't forget you can download all three DKC games off the Wii's VC. And who knows they can put up DK64 since technically speaking DK belongs to Nintendo, but Rare said it's all up to Nintendo...

And P.S. DK Jungle Beat was developed by Namco.

edit: My bad I keep thinking it's Namco that developed this. It is Nintendo Tokyo...

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It's not bad because it doesn't compare to DKC series gameplay-wise. It's bad because the creators of the game explicitly said they did NOT like the series. They said the characters weren't fresh enough despite the Mario characters being 10 years older than the DKC characters not counting DK himself.

And even though you're right that a game shouldn't be frowned upon because it doesn't live up to the original triogoly, then why don't people give DK games made PAON a chance? Not only are they good, PAON shows respect to the series while still adding on to it (i.e. barrel racing and alien bananas)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
To be fair, the characters aren't all that great in the DK games. They're all chimps wearing clothing. They are not cool outside of the context of their games, they don't have all that much personality compared to characters like Mario, and unlike the Legend of Zelda series, adding weapons and gimmicks to the cast is like adding weapons and gimmicks to Sonic games.

However, if someone had a good idea for Donkey Kong Country Wii that wasn't doomed to the infamy of the Sonic gimmicks, I would be interested.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
To be fair, the characters aren't all that great in the DK games.
Opinion

They're all chimps wearing clothing.
Yes. How dare anthropomorphic animals wear clothes

They are not cool outside of the context of their games,
You could say the same thing about any video game character

they don't have all that much personality compared to characters like Mario,
LOL that's when your point became invalid. :p

and unlike the Legend of Zelda series, adding weapons and gimmicks to the cast is like adding weapons and gimmicks to Sonic games.
Wow, wooden weapons that fire food that only appeared in one game ruined the series.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
I'm telling you now, Funky Kong and Dixie are not. So why do they include them in Mario Games? If they do this, why not some freaking Yoshi or WarioWare characters?
Mario Kart Wii:
Donkey Kong Characters:
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Funky Kong
Character Count: 3
Yoshi Characters:
Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Daisy, Baby Peach, and Yoshi.
Character Count: 5
Wario Characters:
Wario
Character Count: 1

There's an exact average of 3 for the people in another series being placed in the game. Donkey Kong is the exact average. Donkey Kong has the magic amount of characters in the game. 3. :bee:

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Look, try to figure out what you would want in a DK game. I can't figure out what they could do with the series to make it into a good wii title, but I would buy it if it could be made on the wii in an fun, interesting, and innovative way.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Look, try to figure out what you would want in a DK game. I can't figure out what they could do with the series to make it into a good wii title, but I would buy it if it could be made on the wii in an fun, interesting, and innovative way.
Make it a game with the same platforming scheme of one of the DKCs or of DK64 depending on the approach.

I don't know what else they'd do with it (Not saying there isn't a ton of stuff) but that's up to whomever makes it, of course (Please be Paon....they know the series so well...)

And c'mon, HC, I daresay characters like Funky Kong, the laid back, surfin', fishin' companion of the protagonists has alot more personality than Mario. Seriously.

And the ideas and different personalities of all the main characters of DK64 were fleshed out alot more than any personality Mario could have had in Mario 64 (Lanky being an unusual prankster, with odd ideas and moves to complement it, Chunky being a coward, etc. None of this was really shown by Mario (dont get me wrong, I LOVED SM 64, I'm just making a point)

So I dunno if Mario was the best comparison, the characters actually have lots of personality.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Make it a game with the same platforming scheme of one of the DKCs or of DK64 depending on the approach.

I don't know what else they'd do with it (Not saying there isn't a ton of stuff) but that's up to whomever makes it, of course (Please be Paon....they know the series so well...)

And c'mon, HC, I daresay characters like Funky Kong, the laid back, surfin', fishin' companion of the protagonists has alot more personality than Mario. Seriously.

And the ideas and different personalities of all the main characters of DK64 were fleshed out alot more than any personality Mario could have had in Mario 64 (Lanky being an unusual prankster, with odd ideas and moves to complement it, Chunky being a coward, etc. None of this was really shown by Mario (dont get me wrong, I LOVED SM 64, I'm just making a point)

So I dunno if Mario was the best comparison, the characters actually have lots of personality.
Everyone else has more personality than Mario (yes, even Waluigi).

Also, Nintendo definitely needs to have Paon do the next game. After all, there can only be so many Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/etc games before they start running out of ideas (and options).

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
Mr nintendo doesnt like teh dk

Where's meh new donkey kong? And no that wii-make *see what i did thar* of the gamecube game doesnt count, I played it before my little brother was even born.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I always thought Mario had one of the strongest personalities. It's amazing how cartoony they made the sounds, considering how little he talks, Barely two sentences and you know he has a Brooklyn accent. There's also the crouch inside the hat, the "oof," the fell off a cliff yell, and the Triple jump chant. I like the "woaw" myself. The animations can be pretty funny too, although Luigi's animations are funnier.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
That doesn't mean he has a personality. That just means he makes goofy sounds when he jumps

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Funky Kong does sound quite funny when he laughs. I'm just surprised that there are some people out there that don't like his funny voice.

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo needs to do a Mario/Donkey Kong adventure game. They've assimilated the worlds of both enough in sports crossovers, it's time to take it to the level we all love. Rather than spending loads of time and money on another Mario adventure, and another lackluster Donkey Kong spinoff, why not bring the two together in an adventure starring both stars?

Mario, DK, and pals team up to take down both Bowser and K. Rool? Epic.

I see it as a Sonic Adventure 2 type game, where you have the Mario storyline and the DK storyline, yet both interweave. You can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Yoshi from the Mario storyline, and Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, and Funky Kong from the DK storyline. All play entirely differently and are used to complete different types of stages, but ultimately, you are granted the freedom to complete and and all stages with any character.

EDIT: Or of course, just limit it to Mario and DK as playable characters. That would still be amazing.
This. [/thread]

justaway12

Smash Master
donkey kong is mario first villain and another little fact pauline was mario's first girlfriend he saved her from donkey kong when he was still a carpenter not a plumber... look it up if you don't belive me

justaway12

Smash Master
sorry i just thought that was the question (i kind of misread it) since i saw a conversation i thought the question wasn't answered, i couldn't be bothered to read properly (normally i do) and i realise that is from Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 i just posted a picture to prove he wasn't just from spin offs and kart i guess it was stupid that i thought if he asked that nobody would have answered that... sorry again

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Duh we know that. Your point?

And that screenshot is from Mario vs Donkey Kong 2.
No, it's from Donkey Kong on the NES.

Why should Donkey Kong stop?
I've never played any of the games, but I don't understand why it should stop.
There are hundreds of game franchises which deserve to die before DK does.
If Mario was to star in a couple of bad games would you want them to stop Mario?

It seems like they need to spend more time on Donkey Kong games, and make an actual console game, not a spin off or that Jungle Climbing game, rather than stop the franchise and face the possibility of it falling into the wrong hands and spiraling into a pathetic mess of a game.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why should Donkey Kong stop?
I've never played any of the games, but I don't understand why it should stop.
There are hundreds of game franchises which deserve to die before DK does.
If Mario was to star in a couple of bad games would you want them to stop Mario?

It seems like they need to spend more time on Donkey Kong games, and make an actual console game, not a spin off or that Jungle Climbing game, rather than stop the franchise and face the possibility of it falling into the wrong hands and spiraling into a pathetic mess of a game.
Reading fail.

The TC said that Donkey Kong needs to stop being in Mario games. Even though DK's been with Mario since the beginning of time.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Jimmy how can a picture THAT detailed and not that pixaliated by a screenshot of Donkey Kong NES? Have you even see DK Arcade/NES?

DMan1000

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but it's really aggravating how Nintendo places really minor DK characters into Mario games. I understand that, in a way, Donkey Kong is a member of the Mario series, but I'm telling you now, Funky Kong and Dixie are not. So why do they include them in Mario Games? If they do this, why not some freaking Yoshi or WarioWare characters? :mad::mad::mad:
maybe because the mario franchise started with the first donkey kong for arcades and they are trying to pay a homage to the game that started it all. i dunno really:confused:

Top Bottom