• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong+ (Currently 1 DK)

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Devil's Advocate for Nair

Hey Falco400.
Let me first start off by saying that I love you. I love what you have done for B+, I love what you have done for DK, and I love how you even helped me set up B+.... But, I think you are not giving DK's Nair the credit it deserves.... So, I decided to play devils advocate.

Frist off, I am no B+ veteran. You and some of the other posters here could likely kick my ***.
But nontheless, I am going to argue as if DK's Nair could be a great move. I will accept that I may be completely wrong. I have not analyzed the frame data. But I have seen it used well and I have used it well.... so here I go.

DK's Nair can not be measured in usefulness independently no more then can fox or falcons individual jabs.
Sure, its crappy alone, but when used smartly it can open up oppertunities for some of your better moves.

Think of DK's Nair as a full bodied airiar jab in this regard.

The goal of the Nair is to turn DK's whole body into a jab. That is, your momentum is your punch.

If you have your opponent in hitlag and you are both moving foward in the air close to the ground, there is nothing better to use then a Nair. You cant stop your momentum for a RAR Bair and you dont have time to perform any of his other airials. so you FF and SH your Nair in the direction you need to give your opponent that last nudge they need to get off the ledge so you can hopefully ledge hog them and create an opportunity for yourself.

Also, if you trip your opponet with a Dtilt and they go flying back abit before they do so, a Nait may uit the purpose there as well... though this one is a tad bit more situational IMO...

Welll all this theorycrafting is all well and good. but pointless alone.

So I decided to look at four matches and see if there were points in time when Nair was the best option.

The first vid is of someone who never used Nair. The last three are of someone who experimented around with it.

After the posted link, I will put a point in time of that vid where I comment on an oppertunity for Nair.... you can just follow along with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEZsea8_QAc
0:16 If a Nair was used, it would have outlasted his airdodge and hit him as he came out of it.
0:21 A Nair would have been an easy way to keep on pushing him off the ledge. Could have even gotten a Nair > Fair I think.
2:04 following up ad jumping out to hit him with a nair while comming from below and to the side would have killed him I think.
2:50 The cool thing about Nair is that it has zero lag... at this point, I would have ran towards him, SHed and done nair directly above his head, If his airdodge got it, then he would come out of it the second you landed behind him.... just in time for a Fsmash.
2:56 A Nair would have worked here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X04wGUYAL_Y
0:22 Again, a Nair from 5 o'clock would have worked perfectly and allowed for an edgeguard where a Fair just takes way too long
0:45 This has nothing to do with Nair, I just wanted to point out how sexy it was.
1:10 Excellent use of Nair IMO.... Just a poor follow up. Should have Dtilted or tried a grab.... Nair is used to keep forward momentum going, not to change directions of your momentum.
1:20 No way was a Fair going to work here.... a Nair could have though.
1:30 Poor use of Nair here... Bair would have been better.
2:41 Again, when your back is to your opponet and you are moving towards him, there is no reason not to use Bair.... unless you didnt want to use a move that knocked him too far away and you wanted to Smash imeetatly as you landed..... wow. Didnt think of that at first. Ya, that might have worked..... Ya. think of Nair as an airial jab of sorts.... ill elaborate later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4irR6-o2KGU
0:47 Ledgehop Nair.... no reason I can think of why this would be a bad idea if your opponent is standing and too far away for a Ledgehop Uair.
1:15 Like here. a ledgehopped Nair would have been perfect.
2:27 Perfect use of the Nair here. nothing else would have gotten him in his hitstun and pushed him off of the stage. However, the Fair was just too slow. You should have done another Nair I think. Then edgeuarded with either a Bair or a Dair form the ledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2KB_Kk_AZk&feature=channel
0:21 Not really a good use of Nair here, but I just wanted to point out how quickkly you could attack out of it after its actual attack wears off.
2:06 This was a good time to use Nair, but you were too slow with it I think. you jump and Nair within a few frames of eachother, and you jump so as to avoid the incoming attack and FF you Nair into them.
2:28 Would have been great, you just read his roll wrong.... of coarse, if you had known he was going to roll towards you, you could have just Fshashed.... Oh well.

Ok..... I have too much time on my hands perhaps....

Just for the record, I played Ganon in melee.... He had a terrible Nair.
Others would say it was actually quite good and underrated.... I still viewed it as a pointless move.

But DK's Nair, I belive has real potential to be worked into the metagame.

CO18

Smash Hero
Got sum vids of my DK coming up from a Brawl+ tourney today. It was losers finals vs a falco.
Should be up soon.

Revven

FrankerZ
Nair stuff
I love being shown when I'm wrong about a move, this post shows kinda what I was looking for actually. However, in the guide, I didn't completely dismiss Nair, I just feel that it's a very situational move. The problem with it is that DK is open under him when he uses it and he's basically throwing his hurtbox at people. It has pretty good priority though and is pretty quick, I just figure that it's a pretty darn situational move because of how it is. I never use Nair unless it throws someone off. I could try messing with it the next time I play DK in + with someone, and I suppose I could edit the guide a bit about Nair (it still is a WIP) I just feel when it comes to what DK should use often it's mostly Dair and Bair over Nair onstage.

Using it midcombo is what I had in mind for it as far as its situational uses go. I didn't think of a ledgehop with it though... I'll have to try that. It might be a bit silly to do though but, I'll try it next time I play +.

And yeah of course, Nair is better than most characters' moves in the game that are considered not worthy to use (like Fox's Dtilt) but DK has aerials that overshadow it that I feel Nair just isn't up to snuff. But, I'll try and see if I can come up with any uses for Nair next time I play, definitely.

Revven

FrankerZ
Double post pl0x but it is necessary.

I tried out Nair a fair bit, and like I said, it is situational, I tried to use it as much as possible (though I threw it in when the opponent thought I would Uair instead or Dair) and it does at least combo pretty well. I found out that Nair can combo into Donkey Punch, which not many moves of DK's do that (except Bair of course and Utoss), even so, that makes Nair useful in its own right. However, it is not a move that I recommend using THAT often unless you know your opponent can't do **** about it, hence why you'd use it mid-combo especially as a move that leads to a combo finisher and KO.

So in other words, Nair is still situational but, definitely miles ahead of its uses in regular Brawl, MILES ahead.

Revven

FrankerZ
Hahaha, good stuff. I figured that no fall special would help DK in some ways with getting back onto the stage, varies recovery a bit when he can. Saved you from getting spiked like no tomorrow and losing the match!

In any case, that's not why I posted. I posted because I came to ask about one thing:

Does DK need to be able to go backwards on grounded Up B? I'm thinking about looking at what allows him to do it in the air and applying that same thing to his grounded version. If I get it working, would anyone like to try it out? Also, the reason I ask this is because I need to know if it makes the move too good or not. The way I see it is this.

If DK can go backwards with Up B at any time (of course the momentum would decrease) he could do something like this in theory: Up B your shield, once its diminished a bit and DK knows when his Up B is about to end he can perfectly time and space it so that he can't be grabbed and probably just barely get whiffed by an Ftilt from the opponent or get hit for doing so. The main problem is DK could probably escape punishment very easily, why is this a problem for this move? Because it pressures shields like a ***** and nearly impossible to punish as it is. For example:

DK can, right now, Up B past your shield and turn around Fsmash you when you've dropped your shield. You can't do **** about that unless you spotdodge or predict he's going to do that and roll. You simply cannot punish him in time by the time he's behind you. DK can safely get away by just Up Bing past your shield due to the large amounts of shield stun the move has.

If he could Up B backwards, not only does he have another option besides going past your shield but, he can also escape getting punished while he's in front of you. He could simply place himself in front of you and get an easy Ftilt punishing your whiffed attack (unless you're Meta Knight or Snake). The point is, this makes an already good move for pressure an even better move at it that makes it impossible to punish on both behind the shield and in front of.

But that's all mostly theorycraft. I'm not quite sure how it would work out which is why I wanna try it out and have other DKs try it out IF I get it working and let me know if it's just too good or not.

Is it really needed? It would certainly finish him off if it doesn't make the move any better. But I just can't see that being possible. It would HAVE to buff his Up B... which I do not think he needs but, it IS a problem that didn't exist in Melee or 64 that I'd love to fix. If only the Up B wasn't already THIS good (at least on the ground).

Let me know what you guys think... (if there ARE any of you here still... DK gets no love! :().

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
I might take up DK again. For some reason, he feels a lot different going from vBrawl to Brawl+... despite the fact that he was barely changed. In vBrawl, I mained as DK and Peach. Neither got significant buffs or nerfs, but Peach turned into a beast, and DK doesn't feel nearly as improved. He obviously isn't bad (he's probably the best heavyweight, though Ganon is close), but that's what turned me off to playing him for a while. Maybe that's why the thread is so quiet? Not to mention that so few people played DK in vBrawl. I honestly mained as him in SB64 and Melee solely out of nostalgia (DKCs and DK64 were sooo awesome). I was really happy to find out he was so good in Brawl... only to have my dreams crushed by a chaingrabbing penguin. :mad:

But I disgress. This is Brawl+, which is actually fun. Really, I think DK needs more reps.

And I'd be happy to try out the up-b changes if you can get them working.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hahaha, good stuff. I figured that no fall special would help DK in some ways with getting back onto the stage, varies recovery a bit when he can. Saved you from getting spiked like no tomorrow and losing the match!

In any case, that's not why I posted. I posted because I came to ask about one thing:

Does DK need to be able to go backwards on grounded Up B? I'm thinking about looking at what allows him to do it in the air and applying that same thing to his grounded version. If I get it working, would anyone like to try it out? Also, the reason I ask this is because I need to know if it makes the move too good or not. The way I see it is this.

If DK can go backwards with Up B at any time (of course the momentum would decrease) he could do something like this in theory: Up B your shield, once its diminished a bit and DK knows when his Up B is about to end he can perfectly time and space it so that he can't be grabbed and probably just barely get whiffed by an Ftilt from the opponent or get hit for doing so. The main problem is DK could probably escape punishment very easily, why is this a problem for this move? Because it pressures shields like a ***** and nearly impossible to punish as it is. For example:

DK can, right now, Up B past your shield and turn around Fsmash you when you've dropped your shield. You can't do **** about that unless you spotdodge or predict he's going to do that and roll. You simply cannot punish him in time by the time he's behind you. DK can safely get away by just Up Bing past your shield due to the large amounts of shield stun the move has.

If he could Up B backwards, not only does he have another option besides going past your shield but, he can also escape getting punished while he's in front of you. He could simply place himself in front of you and get an easy Ftilt punishing your whiffed attack (unless you're Meta Knight or Snake). The point is, this makes an already good move for pressure an even better move at it that makes it impossible to punish on both behind the shield and in front of.

But that's all mostly theorycraft. I'm not quite sure how it would work out which is why I wanna try it out and have other DKs try it out IF I get it working and let me know if it's just too good or not.

Is it really needed? It would certainly finish him off if it doesn't make the move any better. But I just can't see that being possible. It would HAVE to buff his Up B... which I do not think he needs but, it IS a problem that didn't exist in Melee or 64 that I'd love to fix. If only the Up B wasn't already THIS good (at least on the ground).

Let me know what you guys think... (if there ARE any of you here still... DK gets no love! :().
Yes . Otherwise, give him the strong hit from Melee back. <33333333333

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I don't play DK so I'm just popping in to tell you guys to actually think of character balance when you make your decision, don't just go "Ooh a free buff! Sure I'll take it!"

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
But also consider that there's nothing wrong with testing and the buff can be removed if it makes Donkey Kong too good.

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't play DK so I'm just popping in to tell you guys to actually think of character balance when you make your decision, don't just go "Ooh a free buff! Sure I'll take it!"
I'm not gonna advocate putting it in at all. I'm just going to see if I can get it working and mess around with it, save it for when DK starts falling off the charts, as that would be the buff to give him to get right back on his feet.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
DK is unpopular. He was very unpopular when vBrawl started out and dare I say, still is very unpopular. It's mostly because he takes a decent amount of work to use and due to how big he is... he's not very attractive of a pick. (Though when you realize his potential, you can't stop playing him).

I need to add some more stuff to this guide soon...
Plus he's a ******** ape, doesn't have cool hair and yells out random gibberish. It doesn't mean he isn't cool. Far from it, your avatar alone proves that DK is the heavy of justice.

PS: Did the B+ crew fix that ******** DK glitch?

WheelOfFish

Smash Journeyman
DK's hair is awesome, what are you talking about? Marth should take notes.

And no, I don't think they've figured out how.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah, because this buff would make DK the best character in the game amirite?
oh wait, it wouldn't, and character balance wouldn't suffer from DK getting a buff at all.

Revven

FrankerZ
Anyone else think DK got worse ever since you can air-dodge out of tumble?
Wha? You could always air dodge out the tumble... unless you mean during hitstun, in which case it IS easier to combo him but, he has insane combos that it doesn't even matter how much you can combo him, he can combo you right back. Making you take at least a good 30-40% maybe more after 3-4 hits... He can take a lot before dying, why, I can live from MK's Shuttle Loop AT LEAST at 180% near the edge of FD.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I seem to remember playing brawl + a long time ago and you couldnt air dodge out of tumble.... maybe im just crazy.
I seriously remember that tho.....

anyways, DK is good, I just wish his up-b wasnt all lame with the lack of melee first hit, and the inability to control his up-b on the ground...
DK lost some style points from melee to brawl right there.

I know characters shouldnt just randomly be given buffs.... but ANYONE who played melee will be VERY dissapointed in DK's up-b. (even tho its still very usefull as it is now in brawl+)

also, your poem in your signature is interesting....

Rudra

Smash Ace
Perhaps you've played with Kupo's Codeset before with NADT (No Airdodge During Tumble) at one point or another.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I was playing as DK with my friends a few days ago and I noticed that Utilt can sometimes lead (Set Up) to an Usmash in low percents.

Utilt can always lead to an Usmash in low percents ?

Kazz@

Smash Apprentice
I find Utilt>Usmash>Usmash>Uair>Chase rules.

Anyways, here's my two cents.

Donkey kong was buffed, to the point of being good high tier material.

I mean, he has bair, *$#& **** combo options, and the list could go on.

Due to the higher value of hitstun, cargo spikes are more reliable. Good **** here.

He also has a much nicer ground game, considering the old gg sucked.

tl;dr: DK is now balanced.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I would REALLY, REALLY want Brawl+ DK to have the strong first hit of his Up-B back, just like Melee. I ****in loved that attack. I don't care at all that he can't grounded Up-B backwards as long as he can have the strong first hit back on the Up-B. That seriously made me not want to play DK in bad Brawl.

jalued

Smash Lord
I would REALLY, REALLY want Brawl+ DK to have the strong first hit of his Up-B back, just like Melee. I ****in loved that attack. I don't care at all that he can't grounded Up-B backwards as long as he can have the strong first hit back on the Up-B. That seriously made me not want to play DK in bad Brawl.
so DK needs another kill moves?? plus that move has SA on it now, which is far more useful to stop approaches and start his rampaging combos. Maybe if u hgave him heavy armour insstead, and buffed the BKB..but then his recovery would be worse. DK is considered to b one of the most balanced characters in this game atm, so no need to change him tbh

Magus420

Smash Master
A big reason I main/secondary DK in that game is because of the grounded up-b smack. No joke. It's easily one of my favorite moves to hit with xD

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I find Utilt>Usmash>Usmash>Uair>Chase rules.

Anyways, here's my two cents.

Donkey kong was buffed, to the point of being good high tier material.

I mean, he has bair, *$#& **** combo options, and the list could go on.

Due to the higher value of hitstun, cargo spikes are more reliable. Good **** here.

He also has a much nicer ground game, considering the old gg sucked.

tl;dr: DK is now balanced.
Whoa! Utilt>Usmash>Usmash>Uair>Chase.
That's a good combo.

I'm trying to guarantee an Usmash through Utilt.

Well, Utilt is being pretty useful in my gameplay with DK now. I didn't expect that, cause I almost never used his Utilt in vBrawl.

Yeah... DK seems to be balanced now. That's good.

so DK needs another kill moves?? plus that move has SA on it now, which is far more useful to stop approaches and start his rampaging combos. Maybe if u hgave him heavy armour insstead, and buffed the BKB..but then his recovery would be worse. DK is considered to b one of the most balanced characters in this game atm, so no need to change him tbh
I agree with you.
DK doesn't need another kill move. He is very good enough in Brawl+ IMO.

Man... Honestly, I would really like if DK's Down-B could have more HIT STUN.
It's real simple. I mained DK in SSB64 and I had a good combo that was almost guaranteed against all characters.
I don't know if it's a common knowledge, but here's the Combo:
Down-B -> Giant Punch (Fully Charged).
It was a pretty useful combo IMO. I tried to do this in vBrawl and Brawl+ and it didn't work.

If DK's Down-B could have more Hit Stun, you would have a chance to perform 2 good combos:
Down-B -> Usmash
Down-B -> Neutral-B (Giant Punch).

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
A big reason I main/secondary DK in that game is because of the grounded up-b smack. No joke. It's easily one of my favorite moves to hit with xD
Same here. I love that attack soo much. I didn't care that in Melee DK's Dsmash and Usmash were weak and barely killed/hit. The Up-B first hit, and maybe easier stomp/Dair was all I needed.

I'd play Brawl+ DK more for sure if he had a weak Dsmash/Usmash/no SA on Up-B, all in exchange for a COOL AND GOOD first Up-B hit.

But if that can't happen for real, then fine. I'll play my decently fun, no cool Up-B Brawl+ DK. :urg: Though it would be nice if his grounded Up-B moved backward, like said before, if nothing else.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
How the **** DK needs another powerful attack ?

DK is already very balanced IMO. He just need a few improvements.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
DK needs his strong hitbox on his up-b from melee.

inb4heisnothardthatswhatshesaidheisalraedybalanced
Yay! Someone else beside Magus and I agree. =)

That doesn't mean we'll get it though. =(

Also, excellent ending in Falco400's video. Shield break -> ****.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Once DK "gets inside" anybody, its pretty much ****.
And its easier for DK then most guys to "get inside" you. Because nature blessed him with such a gigantic... "range".
Horray for Donkey range.

Top Bottom