• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm still pretty excited, and it'd be awesome if they were saving Kremlings for later or something. I also hope Kranky Kong is what was mentioned above. He did constantly break the fourth wall, which is so hilarious since few video games do that these days,

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Wii is indeed a great system, I won't denide that. However, it's a strech to say that this generation can topple the SNES. The Wii has third-party problems, tons of shovelware, Nintendo made a few mistakes on the Wii, and that they have lost the majority of there core fan base.

The SNES had excellent third-party support, shovelware wasn't a problem, the system was virtually flawless, and they had a huge dedicated fan base.

You can't compare both consoles.
I was actually talking about the Wii and 3DS combined. Sorry I didn't clarify.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Here's one theory about the apparent lack of Kremlings.

- For one thing, Tanabe/Retro completely dodged the question when asked about the game's Story involving K. Rool, which was AFTER they had already said "No Crocodiles".

- The game's story could NOT involve Crocodiles, or, obviously (maybe), Kremlings, and they may be included in the game's Lost World. That would honestly be pretty amazing.

Also, the end of the game could work like this...

DK/Diddy/maybe somebody else defeat the boss of the Tikis, and the Tiki boss either lets something slip, or a mysterious, K. Rool shaped figure is glimpsed doing something, probably controlling them.

Given Retro's history with DKC, I can't see them leaving out K. Rool and the Kremlings for the sake of doing so. They probably know the DKC fanbase liked K. Rool, and are keeping quiet about him for the purpose of surprise and wonder.

Leaving K. Rool out of a DKC game at all, would be like taking Ridley out of a Metroid revival game...and..they kinda didn't do that.

I think we're in good hands. At any rate, the gameplay looks ridiculously good, and I'm hella excited. Woo!

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Which Holiday will this game come out on? I never did like the underwater levels in Donkey Kong Country, I hope I can grow to like the water levels in this game.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well DKC3 was boring imo but this should be a great return so thanks,nintendo.
the thing with DKC3 is, the level design was still very good. everything else was so stale and boring. it was like the first two were made for the general game community, DKC 3 was made for 6 year olds. seriously it took so long for the 3rd one to get difficult, only the lost world was up to par

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Blagh

I got a gut feeling we won't be seeing K. Rool this time around. Sure I saw the traditional Pirate ships, but besides that I didn't see many indicators that he was back. That skull thing near the end of the trailer might just be the new antagonist. Sad, isn't it?

That said, though, I am completly psyched for the new DKC. It seems like they are keeping a bunch of the old collectables (bananas, coins, I believe the "KONG" letters) and the feel of the old levels (Barrel Cannons, Mine Carts) while adding a bunch of new tag team mechanics between DK and Diddy (diddy rolling DK accros a level) and a lot more dangerous looking levels. I'm not worried about the new team; the series seems to be in good hands. Can't wait to grab it in time for the holidays!
I will be very disappointed if K. Rool and the Kremling crew don't return. :/ You can't have a traditional DKC game without them. :p

Glad to finally see this after the various New Super Mario Bros. games. The gameplay looks good from the trailer, and it looks like we might be seeing some NSMB Wii Co-op with DK and Diddy.

Now then, on K. Rool, which will basically determine whether or not I enter this game with massive amounts of bias and whether or not I buy SSB4. . .

It's probably more likely then not he won't be in it. There's not so much as a single Kremling or any other classic enemy in the trailer. Yes, K. Rool was hidden until the end in DKC3, but you still saw all the classic enemies - including Kremlings - along the way. When I first saw the pirate ship I thought there was some hope, but considering I'd really think it'd have the Kremling flag instead of those generic ones, I'm rather worried. . .Granted, in the actual description they go on about "famaliar characters" a good bit, but they could of course just be referring to DK and Diddy. As for it to referring to anyone else outside DK/Diddy/Rool, I pretty much see Rool/Cranky/Funky as a package that are all in or all out.
I agree with you. He will probably not be in it. Nintendo doesn't seem to care much for him. :( As I watched the trailor I said to myself, "K. Rool is controlling the tikis!" But.... Idk...

At least that would excuse the lame antagonists.... tikis? Come on :p .

I don't think DK and Diddy count as the "familiar characters" he was talking about, since we saw them before he said that. And..they're DK and Diddy. They're the stars of the game, honestly.

I'm under the impression Retro planned that trailer that way, choosing to hide any of the characters we know and keep us guessing.
I hope we see the kremlings as well as animal buddies back. Neckies, Zingers, and Armydillos FTW tambien!

EDIT: P.S. I hope the music's good. It won't beat Rare's soundtrack, and I say that with extreme bias. But I'm sure it can excel :)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm telling you all the last level in DKCR is going to be a Gangplank Galleon type stage with Kremling enemies and K. Rool. I would bet a cookie on it.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Here's one theory about the apparent lack of Kremlings.

- For one thing, Tanabe/Retro completely dodged the question when asked about the game's Story involving K. Rool, which was AFTER they had already said "No Crocodiles".
I guess that's a good sign (except the no crocodiles part :p ).

- The game's story could NOT involve Crocodiles, or, obviously (maybe), Kremlings, and they may be included in the game's Lost World. That would honestly be pretty amazing.
It'd be awesome they were included. They're the ones who made the story though, so they can't blame it on the story for not bringing back the kremlings. And a sentent tiki stealing DK's bananas.... doesn't exactly qualify as a literary masterpiece.

Also, the end of the game could work like this...

DK/Diddy/maybe somebody else defeat the boss of the Tikis, and the Tiki boss either lets something slip, or a mysterious, K. Rool shaped figure is glimpsed doing something, probably controlling them.
I would suspect K. Rool to be revealed as a final boss/hidden final boss in the lost world, as you said.

Oh god. What if they have K. Rool teaming up with the kongs for some reason? I for one would not like that.

Given Retro's history with DKC, I can't see them leaving out K. Rool and the Kremlings for the sake of doing so. They probably know the DKC fanbase liked K. Rool, and are keeping quiet about him for the purpose of surprise and wonder.
What sort of history? I would probably feel a bit reassured if I saw their credentials :) .

Leaving K. Rool out of a DKC game at all, would be like taking Ridley out of a Metroid revival game...and..they kinda didn't do that.
It might just be me, but I feel like K. Rool isn't exactly liked by Nintendo. Idk. Rare came up with him, and once Rare left Nintendo started doing other stuff with him (the bongo games is what I'm thinking of), and what DK was all about sorta got lost or changed.

I think we're in good hands. At any rate, the gameplay looks ridiculously good, and I'm hella excited. Woo!
It does look extremely fun. I hope it will be challenging as well!

Which Holiday will this game come out on? I never did like the underwater levels in Donkey Kong Country, I hope I can grow to like the water levels in this game.
For DKC I didn't mind them (music=epic, however). DKC 2, however, I loved! DKC 3, eh. The pipe level where the controls got mixed was fun, but that's the only standing out one. (Oh wait, and the tree/water level.)

Not even the music?
It was excellent IMO :D

well DKC3 was boring imo but this should be a great return so thanks,nintendo.

ps. so rare isn't making it?
DKC 3 was boring :( The map sucked. The free-roaming just wasn't needed.

I'm telling you all the last level in DKCR is going to be a Gangplank Galleon type stage with Kremling enemies and K. Rool. I would bet a cookie on it.
I would love that.

If we DO end up fighting K. Rool.... He'd better be a pain in the *** to knock out like he always is!!!

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ The box art looks better than I imagined. November still feels very far away, I might import if Japan release date is too far. ♥

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wow so animal buddies are confirmed? That's really cool.

It sucks that Kremlings won't be in it though (especially K. Rool :().

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Think about it though, how many times has DK kicked Kremling tail? After a while, some people just give up. I know I would.

K. Rool really needed to be in Brawl though. Screw Dedede.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I really hope Cranky is in this game. He was brilliant, and was definitely part of the charm of the DKC games. It won't feel like a proper DKC game without Cranky's hilarious dialogue.

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Great first post, and yeah I hope so too.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How can you not like a crocodile with dissociative identity disorder? Plus he is a much darker villain than say Bowser or King DDD. There is still a slight chance he could be in the game as a hidden boss or as some sort of npc like Swanky or Funky Kong. Maybe he might have reformed his ways...?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
It's just not a Donkey Kong Country game without listening to the sweet sound of a Kremling being stomped on.

"OOGH--!"

Classic.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ I wonder if this game is going to have some return bosses or just completely new one's. I guess we will know soon enough.

Olikus

Smash Champion
This is a cant wait for it game. Hope it will be with Lanky Kong, as in Donkey Kong 64. He is one funny ape.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Why do I get the feeling that this is going to be a letdown like New Super Mario Bros, Super Paper Mario, and Metroid Other M?

Eagle_Eyes

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3583-1774-9356
Oo I haven't played a DK game since Donkey Kong Country 1 2 and 3, my favorite Super Nintendo games by far! I liked the pirates to be honest, I hope they have some sort of K Rool too.

Olikus

Smash Champion
New super mario bros is one of the best games for wii in my opinion. Brings back great memories from older super mario bros games. Still hope for lanky Kong, have to stay positive :p

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I personally never really cared for the Kremlings, and I always found K. Rool to be a bit on the generic side to be honest. I suppose the Tikis aren't much better though.

I really hope Cranky is in this game however. He was brilliant, and was definitely part of the charm of the DKC games. It won't feel like a proper DKC game without Cranky's hilarious dialogue.
He isn't much more generic than Bowser was at around the time of the N64.

He just hasn't been in enough games to build his character any more.

☯ I wonder if this game is going to have some return bosses or just completely new one's. I guess we will know soon enough.
I hope we see zingers, at the very least :p

Kotu

Smash Cadet
WOOHA Donkey Country Returns Donkey Kong needs a new game other than the new mario kart games

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
According to Nintendo Channel, Rambi is confirmed as one of the Animal Buddies.

No really, yet this topic has been dead for while. ._.

Top Bottom