• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Finally! Nintendo's given DK the recognition he's been lacking for years...

Retro's Newly Updated Website : http://retrostudios.com/default.asp

Find the trailer here! : http://mmomfg.com/2010/06/15/dk-country-returns-0615/

And here! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGqI3XQ3PUY

Story Time!

Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.
Features:

Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.
Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.
For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time (additional accessories required and are sold separately) - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game.
Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.
Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.
Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.
Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.

Handful of Screenshots here : http://e3src.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=dkcr

Man, I'm so excited. Thanks, Nintendo!

A_man13

Smash Master
I got a gut feeling we won't be seeing K. Rool this time around. Sure I saw the traditional Pirate ships, but besides that I didn't see many indicators that he was back. That skull thing near the end of the trailer might just be the new antagonist. Sad, isn't it?

That said, though, I am completly psyched for the new DKC. It seems like they are keeping a bunch of the old collectables (bananas, coins, I believe the "KONG" letters) and the feel of the old levels (Barrel Cannons, Mine Carts) while adding a bunch of new tag team mechanics between DK and Diddy (diddy rolling DK accros a level) and a lot more dangerous looking levels. I'm not worried about the new team; the series seems to be in good hands. Can't wait to grab it in time for the holidays!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I feel like the series is in good hands with Retro; I was literally tearing up when Reggie announced it, I was...just a bit anxious and excited, hoping the rumors weren't lies..again.

It definitely seems really true to the series, very much so. Also, I had a thought. The theme this time seems to be tiki/island/ancient ruins-esque.

I wouldn't be surprised if K. Rool and his Kremlings showed up again, and Retro chose to only show that much to keep us guessing. I can totally picture King. T. K. Rool (Name subject to change)

Either way, this is an amazing surprise, and I'm totally satisfied with Nintendo's E3 for the first time in 3 years.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
http://e3src.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=dkcr

Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.
Features:

Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.
Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.
For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time (additional accessories required and are sold separately) - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game.
Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.
Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.
Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.
Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.
Oh snapz, I hope the Animal Buddies will be alright.

And I think K.Rool is the secret main villain like in DKC3. And this time, he'll be dressed up like he was in Mario Super Sluggers. I mean that outfit screams Tiki.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well ****! I was going to post that in the OP! And I think you might be right, the Super Sluggers outfit was Tiki-rific. Yeah.

I'll go ahead and add that bit 'o story to the first post. Huzzah!

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
****, you beat me to it.

Please tell me they'll be bringing back the music, too.

A_man13

Smash Master
http://e3src.nintendo.com/wii/game/?g=dkcr

Oh snapz, I hope the Animal Buddies will be alright.

And I think K.Rool is the secret main villain like in DKC3. And this time, he'll be dressed up like he was in Mario Super Sluggers. I mean that outfit screams Tiki.
Thanks for the link.

I got a feeling we'll be at least be seeing Rambi back if they want to be traditional.

And I think you are right. Magic scepter as bat, magical tikis running amok, aztec like clothing, 1 and 1 are definetly adding up.

D

Deleted member

Nostalgia rules! So does Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. I'm expecting Triple A quality from this game. This will be so much fun.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
****, you beat me to it.

Please tell me they'll be bringing back the music, too.
Hehehe, sorry about that :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing, really hoping for the same A+ quality music the original had. It'd be really nice if Retro were to grab David Wise for this.

Oh, and a thought I had about the game's story, it would make alot of sense if K. Rool was controlling the Tikis from behind the scenes (Kinda like what was suggested earlier, similar to his DKC3 role) as I can't see any reason why Tikis want bananas. (But then again...why does K. Rool want them?)

So many things to think about..

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
This was my favorite game at E3. Nice to see one of my favorite series given a modern update by the team that brought us Metroid Prime. :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Glad to finally see this after the various New Super Mario Bros. games. The gameplay looks good from the trailer, and it looks like we might be seeing some NSMB Wii Co-op with DK and Diddy.

Now then, on K. Rool, which will basically determine whether or not I enter this game with massive amounts of bias and whether or not I buy SSB4. . .

It's probably more likely then not he won't be in it. There's not so much as a single Kremling or any other classic enemy in the trailer. Yes, K. Rool was hidden until the end in DKC3, but you still saw all the classic enemies - including Kremlings - along the way. When I first saw the pirate ship I thought there was some hope, but considering I'd really think it'd have the Kremling flag instead of those generic ones, I'm rather worried. . .Granted, in the actual description they go on about "famaliar characters" a good bit, but they could of course just be referring to DK and Diddy. As for it to referring to anyone else outside DK/Diddy/Rool, I pretty much see Rool/Cranky/Funky as a package that are all in or all out.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I just hope they could probably tone down the difficulty just a little.

From what I could tell, they put in a life bar too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IMO, this was the surprise game Nintendo pulled out at E3 to really win it. The 3DS won the systems department, so they needed to resurrect a few things to really pull in their audience.

So what do they do? This. I was expecting Donkey Kong, but not a Country resurrection.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Glad to finally see this after the various New Super Mario Bros. games. The gameplay looks good from the trailer, and it looks like we might be seeing some NSMB Wii Co-op with DK and Diddy.

Now then, on K. Rool, which will basically determine whether or not I enter this game with massive amounts of bias and whether or not I buy SSB4. . .

It's probably more likely then not he won't be in it. There's not so much as a single Kremling or any other classic enemy in the trailer. Yes, K. Rool was hidden until the end in DKC3, but you still saw all the classic enemies - including Kremlings - along the way. When I first saw the pirate ship I thought there was some hope, but considering I'd really think it'd have the Kremling flag instead of those generic ones, I'm rather worried. . .Granted, in the actual description they go on about "famaliar characters" a good bit, but they could of course just be referring to DK and Diddy. As for it to referring to anyone else outside DK/Diddy/Rool, I pretty much see Rool/Cranky/Funky as a package that are all in or all out.
I don't think DK and Diddy count as the "familiar characters" he was talking about, since we saw them before he said that. And..they're DK and Diddy. They're the stars of the game, honestly.

I'm under the impression Retro planned that trailer that way, choosing to hide any of the characters we know and keep us guessing.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the first donkey kong country was one of my all time favorite games as a kid. When I heard of DKC coming back I nearly died.

Nintendo is seriously hitting hard with nostalgia. Right now. Everyone in our generation must be loving it.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Seriously looking forward to this. I absolutely love everything Donkey Kong and disliked his newer games.

Can't wait for the music.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
oh god the music.

I hope they dont disappoint. DKC and DKC2 are my favorite video game soundtracks <333

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Retro said it's going on the Wii, yessss.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Apparently the Rolling Attack is still vital to the game (Woo!) but I understand you might not be able to keep rolling through enemies anymore.

Still neat to know it's back, though!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smart choice by Nintendo if you ask me especially since Retro has the talent that RARE used to have. Nintendo's been really good about reviving old franchises and listening to fans this generation, haven't they? They brought back Punch-Out, Kid Icarus, Sin and Punishment, and Pilotwings thanks to fan demand as well. I think things are shaping up for this generation to end up being as good for Nintendo as the SNES generation.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Iwata Asks segment about the game.

http://e3src.nintendo.com/iwata-asks/

Too those who can't see the video:

-Kensuke Tanabe, responsible for Software Planning & Development, reveals that DKCR started in 2008, because Miyamoto wanted to make a new DK game and asked him to find a developer to do it. He remembered that the president of Retro, Michael Kelbaugh, worked on DKC when he was with NoA and went to them for it.

-They really wanted to get the music the same as the original (Miyamoto in fact demanded it). Iwata babbles about fate.

-Miyamoto was apparently against the co-op mode at first… “while he was working on a four-player Mario game” (New Super Mario Bros. Wii).

-Speaking of fate, apparently DKCR’s codename was F8. Iwata suggests that it was fate that the Retro president, working on DKCs back in the day, would get to helm a new game in the series. He ends the interview by saying getting a Donkey Kong game at all is fate. How interesting.

-The co-op element was the direct result of “trying to make it stand out from Jungle Beat.” They didn’t know NSMB Wii was in the works yet. Tanabe also wanted Returns to stand out from Jungle Beat.

A_man13

Smash Master
-They really wanted to get the music the same as the original (Miyamoto in fact demanded it). Iwata babbles about fate.

Thank you, Miyamoto, for defending one of the greatest video game soundtracks from the SNES. I know we'll get the standard Jungle Hijinks/Jungle Japes tune, but if what the interview is true I'm gonna have to dust off my knowledge of the soundtrack prior to. As long as we get the Gangplank Galleon/ K. Rool battle back, though, I'm happy.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
-Kensuke Tanabe, responsible for Software Planning & Development, reveals that DKCR started in 2008, because Miyamoto wanted to make a new DK game and asked him to find a developer to do it. He remembered that the president of Retro, Michael Kelbaugh, worked on DKC when he was with NoA and went to them for it.

Those two comments are pretty funny considering many people thought a new DKC wouldn't come because Miyamoto supposedly hated the original games.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Aw man, I can't wait for this game. The only "true" games I've had of DK were DK Country for the GBC and DK64 (where I never even gotten past the first level lol). The rest was just Junglebeat/Konga. Junglebeat was good, but it tarnished the DK I came to know and love...

Anyways, this had better restore the love I had for the ape.

D

Deleted member

Fatmonice said:
I think things are shaping up for this generation to end up being as good for Nintendo as the SNES generation.
The Wii is indeed a great system, I won't denide that. However, it's a strech to say that this generation can topple the SNES. The Wii has third-party problems, tons of shovelware, Nintendo made a few mistakes on the Wii, and that they have lost the majority of there core fan base.

The SNES had excellent third-party support, shovelware wasn't a problem, the system was virtually flawless, and they had a huge dedicated fan base.

You can't compare both consoles.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Anyone spot the irony of Miyamoto pushing for this game to be made, and made right, when back in the day he was infamously pissed that DKC sold better than his own Yoshi's Island (or something like that) in America?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I hope this gives hope towards a new old-fashion 2D metroid game rather than another Prime.

I wonder if they'll drop a bit of their soundtrack for us to listen. They should know more than anyone how epic the DKC soundtrack is.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I hope this gives hope towards a new old-fashion 2D metroid game rather than another Prime.

I wonder if they'll drop a bit of their soundtrack for us to listen. They should know more than anyone how epic the DKC soundtrack is.
Other M is the closest we'll get to that, I think.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1099190p2.html

"Retro: There are no crocodiles in the game. (laughs)"

Really?
Honestly, the rebirth of a series with a NEW VILLAIN is a pretty good idea. I love nostalgia, but nostalgia with originality in it can often lead to success.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I think he was joking about the no crocs. I could be wrong though.

I can't wait to see what Retro does with this game. Retro is like the only western studio Nintendo owns so if they do a good job it might lead to Nintendo buying more western studios. Not only that though, but if this game does well, Nintendo might give Retro the ability to work with other Nintendo characters. Retro making a starfox game would be amazing.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ When I heard Retro was making another game, I assumed it was Starfox. Honestly, Retro seems to be doing hardcore, I mean Metroid Prime was epic, so I have high hopes for DKC.

mystery_dungeon

Smash Journeyman
Sidemoon Sidemoon. Welc welc ome welc omeome.
I love Donkey Kong Country, so I'm excited to see this new game.

The no croc thing sounds like a leg puller to me. And even if it isn't, I won't let the absence of the Kremlings stop me from enjoying this. (Though I will be :( if K. Rool himself doesn't show)

What does worry me though is Cranky Kong, more specifically, his character. He was awesome back in Donkey Kong Country 1-3, what with his compaints that sometimes broke the fourth wall and constantly bringing up the "good ol days." In his recent appearances, not so much. I just hope Retro will bring Cranky back to his bickering ways once he's appears.

And because I can't resist: "Online multiplayer? HA, back in my day, we were lucky to have local multiplayer, and we were."
If Cranky were to say something like this, he would be the best character ever.

One more thing, who said Miyamoto hated Donkey Kong Country? ;)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Honestly, the rebirth of a series with a NEW VILLAIN is a pretty good idea. I love nostalgia, but nostalgia with originality in it can often lead to success.
When the characters are all so flat in the first place, I hardly see any reason to kill the nostalgia in favor of a new character - not that the tikis are promising anyway. . .

Yeah, I'm pretty sold on this statement being true, as it didn't seem that likely they'd be in it before this statement either.

Top Bottom