• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolls War - Vienna, Austria ~ Results are up!

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i can say that the melee community in austria acts "a bit strange" from time to time...

btw i´d go for lowtiers as side-event.... or smash64 (back to the roots 8-> )

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
****, it seems there won't be melee :/.

if there can't be melee then I rather have brawl low tier , not brawl+ please >_>

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Brawl needs as much support in Europe as it can get. Melee has so many tournaments in Europe and it extremely dominates. I opted for Melee as possible side-event because I am aware of this. But Brawl alone already gets many players as you can see, so do I need Melee to net me more people? I don't think so. I don't want this to turn into a Brawl+Melee-tournament. Maybe, one time, when I've made a few iterations, have a bigger venue or so. Maybe then I will add Melee to my list.
But as of now, I'd rather have Brawl only. Hell, I would even prefer a BlazBlue or Street Fighter IV side-event over a Melee side-event, but I know that's just too far out.

Having half of the people be there to play Melee, and not come for the main event - Brawl - is dumb, and contributes absolutely nothing, especially seeing how much some European Melee players loathe Brawl. I'm actually afraid of some Brawl/Melee-war going on.
Wait... Seriously...

I wanna move to Europe now, I really really wanna move to Europe now.

Except for the melee/brawl war.

But I see your point, the melee and brawl community's over here are on much better terms (even though melee is being undercut by Brawl by a lot).

Actually, you could do a blueblaze/SF/whatever side event, throw people for a loop.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
****, it seems there won't be melee :/.

if there can't be melee then I rather have brawl low tier , not brawl+ please >_>
I'm not completely saying that Melee won't be included. I just think it will be unlikely. The thing is, if I include Melee, then I will have a different crowd and even more people. I don't know if I can take the whole capacity, it's my first tournament of this size after all.

Wait... Seriously...

I wanna move to Europe now, I really really wanna move to Europe now.

Except for the melee/brawl war.

But I see your point, the melee and brawl community's over here are on much better terms (even though melee is being undercut by Brawl by a lot).

Actually, you could do a blueblaze/SF/whatever side event, throw people for a loop.
Whatever you do, don't move to Vienna.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
If it's two days, you can do like Genesis and have full Melee and Brawl tournaments. You'll have the most people possible that way.

I'll go if it's going to be both large and fun and I can win my money back.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I will have limitations. Genesis was a huge tournament with 9001 TVs and lots of equipment and monehs to spare.
I don't have the finances to do something like that, and the hostel will most likely have its limitations, too.

Also, don't underestimate the European players. Armada is good, but I think some other players here are better than him.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I will have limitations. Genesis was a huge tournament with 9001 TVs and lots of equipment and monehs to spare.
I don't have the finances to do something like that, and the hostel will most likely have its limitations, too.

Also, don't underestimate the European players. Armada is good, but I think some other players here are better than him.
when did u underestimate european players ?

aaaaaanyway it would be fun if inui brought some americans with him, i mean its only europe im sure u guys could win ur money back.

also, low tier side event ftw !!!!

Rybaia

Smash Journeyman
I don't love Melee. D:
The Melee players here have put me off of the game.

I have a physical handicap, my finger joints have a defect. So I can't do stuff like, say, Wavedashing. When I got into the Viennese Melee community, I tried to pick up characters that aren't necessarily dependant on tech trixies, but I still got made fun of and verbally pissed on.

I like Brawl better and didn't want to continue playing a game for the sake of people who don't want me around anyway. =/
That's also the reason why I don't make an actually mixed tournament, but rather a Brawl only with Melee as side-event at most. I don't want to attract the Melee players, I actually want to help out the European Brawl community and advance them.
They are idiots for what they 've done to you.
Every smasher, no matter what, have the potential for be good.
Masterlink to anyone?
He was the 4th best EU player back on 2004...
On a weel chair.
Best Doc, no wavedashes.

R.I.P. Masterlink

Brawl needs as much support in Europe as it can get. Melee has so many tournaments in Europe and it extremely dominates. I opted for Melee as possible side-event because I am aware of this. But Brawl alone already gets many players as you can see, so do I need Melee to net me more people? I don't think so. I don't want this to turn into a Brawl+Melee-tournament. Maybe, one time, when I've made a few iterations, have a bigger venue or so. Maybe then I will add Melee to my list.
But as of now, I'd rather have Brawl only. Hell, I would even prefer a BlazBlue or Street Fighter IV side-event over a Melee side-event, but I know that's just too far out.
I agree with that.
A Melee side event would be fun but maybe that can cause some trubles.

If somebody wants play Melee can bring his memory and disc and if we have some time we can do some freeplay.
Remember: freeplay > tournament.

And btw...
SF IV <3<3<3<3<3
Blazblue <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Having half of the people be there to play Melee, and not come for the main event - Brawl - is dumb, and contributes absolutely nothing, especially seeing how much some European Melee players loathe Brawl. I'm actually afraid of some Brawl/Melee-war going on.
They can flame us all the day.. We don't care.
We are not children. Maybe they are if they need to trash talk us because we play another game.

I play both and I hate when somebody starts some game war.

I'm fully aware of that, and actually, I wasn't even extremely bad with her, to be honest (like, I was at least averagely good). But only getting crap is not motivating. So I dumped Melee. I like Brawl better, I feel more comfortable with it and I <3 Brawl's community. Except if it wants to ban Meta Knight.
*Looks the flag of his country*
*Thinks of his comunity past*
*Cryes*

My english is **** so I apologize for the mistakes :/

stelzig

Smash Lord
There was no problems on this at TSL4 (and to my surprise i saw amsah play brawl as well. Not very seriously, but still :O :p). At least not in my experience, but of course i don't speak french which half the people spoke most of the time so maybe i'm wrong:laugh:

Is the masterlink person the same masterlink who once dominated cruel melee, holding extremely many world records?

Staco

Smash Champion
First look if you get the location (and the date) and look at the location size.
Then you can decide to add a melee side event or not.
If its not in holidays or if the location is really big then maybe there wont be enough brawl players to fill it up.

If there isnt that much space and not enough place for a lot of melee players, you could make a poll for the side event and let the people vote about it. (or they shall write it to you in the confirmation mail)

The location got beds. :)
Do you allready know how many people fit in one bedroom? :o

Pepito, I thought you quitted brawl. You are playing it again?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I have no problems with Melee singles...seriously, Joel...think about it. Even those, who come for Brawl want to have a Melee event. You SHOULD add it. After all you host this tournament for the community and if they want a Melee event you should honestly host it^^

If it's two days, you can do like Genesis and have full Melee and Brawl tournaments. You'll have the most people possible that way.

I'll go if it's going to be both large and fun and I can win my money back.
If you bring M2K or somebody else who's good at both games and team with him ... you already got both game's doubles covered (at least Brawl) and getting top 3 at Brawl singles should be possible too (if you don't neglect it). Or you bring Atomsk and win doubles at Brawl and still do well in singles.

:059:

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I have no problems with Melee singles...seriously, Joel...think about it. Even those, who come for Brawl want to have a Melee event. You SHOULD add it. After all you host this tournament for the community and if they want a Melee event you should honestly host it^^
I'm really not sure. It's basically split between Low Tier and Melee.
As said, I don't want to blow my capacities out of proportion and fail horrendously. :V
Hence I'll decide on my side-event (or side-events, who knows) once I've met with the hostel owners

Tero.

Smash Champion
Melee is a fracking unforgiving game unfortunately. You suck for a long time before you get good, I'm really just starting to get legit good now, and before then I sucked. But Peach is your best choice, by far.
Jigglypuff.
No L-cancel, no Float Cancel. Down B only. Final Destination.

Pretty sure you can't do that in PAL anyway. Or maybe you were exactly referring to PAL techchasing (does that REQUIRE wavedashing? I don't even know lol) because i don't recall seeing NTSC use wavedashing much in their grab game.
Everything at high level of play requires wavedashing.
If you can't do it, you're going to handicap yourself.

The international community HAS to be better, the US community for melee is great though.
European Melee community is great, they just don't act that nicely towards brawl players.

I am going to this !
Yaaay :)

LOL Genesis didn't have that much TV's.
The number of TV's was actually quite embarrassing for such a huge tournament.

I'm really not sure. It's basically split between Low Tier and Melee.
As said, I don't want to blow my capacities out of proportion and fail horrendously. :V
If you have myself (and maybe Inui?) helping with organisation you can't fail.
We could easily fit in Brawl LT and Melee Singles.
Is it friday to sunday or saturday to sunday?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I plan on Friday to Sunday. I'll try to arrange the hostel to have a sooner arrival time than the usual (2 PM), with maybe making a room for luggage available to store it until the rooms are prepared.
Sunday departure is officially 10 AM, and I'll try to expand it a bit, too. Saturday is fully available. I plan on Friday having Freeplay until evening (7PMish) where Doubles will be held. Saturday will be Singles and Side-Event. Sunday will be merely for departure.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Due to the massive amount of interest I'd suggest making a thread in the tournament listings as well.

:059:

stelzig

Smash Lord
Yes you're handicapping yourself, but being helpful doesn't mean it is required to do it... I know what you mean, but you also know what i meant so i feel forced to reply here >_>

JUDGE

Smash Lord
yo spadefox
please sign me and GALE 14 into the interested list
we are from germany

aaand lowtier tournament ftw

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
yo spadefox
please sign me and GALE 14 into the interested list
we are from germany
yo lipstick
I won't update the interested list for every single addition anymore - the list is already big and only if there's like 5 people or a big name to be entered I'd do so.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Sorry for the doublepost, but an update:
Melee most likely will not be the side event. Although I considered it greatly because it seemed to be very wanted by my attendees, you all can thank the Viennese Melee community for my decision.

Why? Because I didn't guarantee Melee as side-event, I was called antisocial and ungrateful.

Low Tiers is pretty much guaranteed now.

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
I'm not completely saying that Melee won't be included. I just think it will be unlikely. The thing is, if I include Melee, then I will have a different crowd and even more people. I don't know if I can take the whole capacity, it's my first tournament of this size after all.

Whatever you do, don't move to Vienna.

Move to vienna, the community rocks.

onishiba just act like a dramaqueen without a reason, at least he never explained WHO was that bad to him.

w/e melee rocks in vienna <3.

GOGOGOGO melee 4 thiz event.

Greward

Smash Lord
You should put melee too.
Melee players put Brawl on TSL4 as a favour for brawl improve (well...). If we put Melee on a Brawl tourney, they will put brawl on melee tourneys and both communitys will greatly improve. And what we want is to grow smash games, isnt it? We have a small number of tourneys right now. If we always have this stupid melee vs brawl war, we will finish without a good scene.
Even if i suck badly at melee, i would be glad if there's a melee tourney.
And melee players are nice (mostly)
And please, dont substitute melee for BARLW-
If we cant do melee, and if i still come, i prefer low tiers than stupid Wii****s or MarioSomething.

And inui, come, u will **** europe on singles and teams. Gheb says it, it cant be wrong!!!

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The Wii stuff and Mario Kart etc. were jokes.
I repeat that I don't know my limits yet. Melee, however, after the reaction of the local Melee community (insulting me, etc.), has become highly unlikely as event.

I want to host a Brawl tournament. I think you all can understand that. I offered to put Melee as possible side-event since there seems to be a big demand. However, if I get insulted by the (local) Melee community because I don't make it 50:50 or guaranteeing that I will host a Melee event, I'm not willing to help the Melee players out.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
looow tiiieeer!!!! yeah
even though i would love to play melee......but yeah if ya want to host a brawl tourney only, it's cool with me^^

edit: lol you updatet the interested list^^
thx man hahahaha x'DDDDD

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
If there's no Melee I probably won't come.

It seems that quite a lot of the people posting in this thread want Melee as well. So wouldn't it be smart to hold a Melee tourney? If you don't like the Austrian Melee community coming to this then don't allow them to compete. Simple.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

It seems that quite a lot of the people posting in this thread want Melee as well. So wouldn't it be smart to hold a Melee tourney? If you don't like the Austrian Melee community coming to this then don't allow them to compete. Simple.
I already thought of this solution. Or, everyone who wants to join the Melee side-event HAS to enter the Brawl competition alternatively.
I don't know yet. It all depends on my talk with the hostel owners next Monday (not the upcoming one).

Staco

Smash Champion
For the number of events you should wait for the date of the tourney first.
If its in summer holidays of all/a lot countires you can make more events, since any1 can arrive earlier and leave more late.
If its in school/work time a lof ot people maybe arrive late at friday and leave early at sunday.

And Melee freeplay is allowed for sure, so there will be melee at all (if some melee players pariticpate and want to play melee).

If possible, try to make the event at the holidays of the different countries. (I would prefer a date in the summer holidays, so that people can arrive early on friday and leave late on sunday, because they got holidays before and afterwards)
Else it will be hard for the younger people to participate, because a lot of them need 10+ hours to travel to the location and to travel back and if you got school before and afterwards you didnt get much time at the event (arriving late, leaving early), so you will better stay at home.

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
, everyone who wants to join the Melee side-event HAS to enter the Brawl competition alternatively.
Well the smartest thing to do in this situation is to put brawl singles and melee singles together, i mean to pay 15-20 euros for BOTH events (in the case of melee singles being only a side-event) 10 euros going to brawl and 5-10 to melee. With this rule people will have to pay for both and you would´t care if melee players actually dont join brawl singles but they sure have payed for it.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, but the Brawl players would pay for Melee too. :V
I think having paying the fee for Brawl if you want to join the Melee-event is, in this case, the smartest version.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Why don't you let us run a Melee tourney if you don't want to. We can bring the set ups and stuff, just give us an area and we'll run our own tourney XD.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Melee without fee? whats the point of even doing a melee tournament if u wont add fees l.
You misunderstand. -.-
Melee would have a fee (I don't even know yet if I can make a side-event, don't take it like it's already guaranteed), but in order to enter Melee, you HAVE to pay the fee for Brawl. You don't have to enter Melee, because it would be unfair if I forced Brawl players to play Melee, but you MUST pay for Brawl if you want to enter the side-event.

Why don't you let us run a Melee tourney if you don't want to. We can bring the set ups and stuff, just give us an area and we'll run our own tourney XD.
*sigh*
Look. This is a Brawl tournament, alright? If I can host a Melee side-event, I will do so, but as I've said 9001 times:
I don't KNOW if I can host a side-event AT ALL.

Please guys, wait till I've met the hostel owners before forcing me to give you promises I can't hold.

Tero.

Smash Champion
*sigh*
Look. This is a Brawl tournament, alright? If I can host a Melee side-event, I will do so, but as I've said 9001 times:
I don't KNOW if I can host a side-event AT ALL.

Please guys, wait till I've met the hostel owners before forcing me to give you promises I can't hold.
If I'll be there we'll be able to host 2 side events (Brawl LT and Melee) ;)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If I'll be there we'll be able to host 2 side events (Brawl LT and Melee) ;)
If the hostel doesn't have the capacities or we don't have enough setups, then perhaps not.
Look, I repeat: I plan on doing at least one side-event, but I don't know yet if I can. Please just be patient until I've met the hostel owners, okay?

Top Bottom