• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doing my job instead of mass WBR lurking

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
As I'm sure any Brawl+ member has noticed I've kinda just lurked the **** out of the WBR, your discussion topics, and occasionally tried to post my two cents. Well that's not why I got to keep a position back here and I'm sorry for taking so long to finally get off my WoW addicted *** and do something for you guys.

Well as you guys can tell from Yeroc's topic up top my job (along with Neko's) is the head of PR and advertising. Well, here are my ideas to get started on this adventure. Some can be completed by Friday others will take more time.

First, I would like to start a simple Facebook group. The group would contain the neccessary links, maybe some good pictures, a good few videos, and anything else pertinent. Probably downloading information, troubleshooting and the like. I'm sure many of you are like, 'WTF is the point in a Facebook group?' I understand that complaint. The purpose of the Facebook group is to reach a broader range of players and people to advertise Brawl+, BBrawl, Brawl-, Project : M, and any awesome DLC characters.

Though Brawl+ and BBrawl aren't meant for your everyday casual player to play, advertising these games to the largest demographic of people possible is the smartest and most effective way to spread the word about a new and upcoming game. I'm sure we have all played with good players who have never even heard of Smashboards and lets face it, besides for the occasional troll topic in GameFAQs no hacked games get much attention outside of Smashboards. Basically, I'll be designing a Facebook group to try and spread the word around amongst friends. Be they old highschool friends, long ago buddies, or even campus friends. All major designers will be given moderation privileges of the group to update the place as they see fit.

Second I would like to start a Twitter account for the WBR. To start this I'll need a WBR logo but hopefully I can whip one up pretty quickly. The Twitter account would try to reach the same demographic as the Facebook group, but would be more in tune with immediate updates and news. Quick tweets about upcoming tournaments, links to important posts (like when Veril posted what Brawl+ was looking at fixing next), tourney results, new updates from BBrawl, Brawl- or new characters. You guys get the point.

The other thing I would like to do with Twitter is host Developer chats. My idea is allow people to post tweets on our account for an hour or so and developers (Cape, Veril, Shanus etc.) could post their answers to the questions in a separate topic in the Smash Workshop. This would allow people to really have their voices heard and try and get an idea on what goes on back here. Here is an example of one Blizzard did recently for WoW:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?tpstart=25

It's down a little bit.

With my computer problems I fell way behind on the major thing I wanted to do which was a redesign of the character change list. Of course I am waiting for an official list but I should have actually done the bulk of the coding work. Sadly with the reformat of my computer I lost my 'copy' of flash and now I must 'reobtain' it. My internet in my apartment is poopy so I'll have to wait till I go home in a week or two and get it then. I'll just wait and show you guys what I'm thinking of as soon as I make progress on that end.

I was also wondering if we wanted to include the other major Brawl hacks as a side tab to our site. If not, I can probably whip up really simple sites (no I will not make you a Flash site I will make you a Dreamweaver site) for Project M, BBrawl, and Brawl-.

I have a few more simple things but these were the major points. Thoughts???

NNID
Budget_Player
I have a link to the Brawl+ website on the sidebar of the Brawl- website.

In general, the facebook/twitter ideas are really good ways to spread the word, and seeing as most of my actual work at this point is advertising for Brawl-, I'd be glad to help.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
A web-ring for all the games associated with WBR would be nice.

Personally, I care not for Facebook and Twitter because a super-majority of the audience that we cater to generally aren't super active in Twitter/Facebook. The people that know about us already know to keep tabs on us if they generally are interested.

What I'd want to do is create a sort of ring in which each game gets their own website in which they use as a sort of news/info/media base for their respective game.

I'd also like to re-design the Brawl+ website from the ground up because huge portions of the website is unused and/or outdated.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
GHNeko, lets throw around some ideas together about that.

The only problem I see with a facebook group is that theres no reason to duplicated content thats on the B+ website. So if you do it, dont copypasta download instructions and then make us have to go update 2-3 places every time something changes.

We need a redesigned B+ page with more news.

I has a twitter. What would be posted on #WBR twitter?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
GHNeko, lets throw around some ideas together about that.
I was primarily hoping we could center the re-designed website around your HUB, but if not, nothing more than a basic portal with consistant streams of tidbits and links to threads on SWF for discussion purposes. Maybe more than that, but the community doesn't generate enough media content for there to be a good focus on videos and tourneys and such.

I has a twitter. What would be posted on #WBR twitter?

#WBR has decided to buff Sonic for the hell of it.

#WBR is just trolling you.

#WBR likes Windboxes. They make #WBR feel like they're flying.

awesome.gif

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
In any widescale PR you do, my main advice is to really stress the ease of playing these games. A lot of people have misconceptions that you have to hack the Wii or you permanently are altering your Wii or your game when you play them. The fact that playing a hacked version of Brawl is very simple and very safe and entails no commitment is something that should be stressed.

Also, twitter? Uh, the character limits there really scare me. I don't know if I'm capable of complying with them...

shanus

Smash Hero
These websites need a lot of work in general. I feel like it might be more useful to technically have a unified WBR website, which is mad pro for hacked brawl in general. The main thing is PR< and having a website which shows EVERYTHING in a professional way which is clean, organized, and efficient would be huge.

Something like:

BrawlMods.com or SmashMods.com

What I envision:

It has tabs for the main brawl projects:
B+
BB
B-
PM
(maybe even a tab for melee hacks, too, to expand our bounds)

A section for custom/DLC
Stages with subforums of Models, Textures
Characters Movesets with subforums of Models, Textures
AI
Music

I envision:
Chats that don't base off IRC
How-Tos for install
Forums
Dantarion's hub-based technology for each project for ticketing changes and all
Active news
Active online tournament hosting (possibly even a method to make a matchmaking system for it)
... and more

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I could work on it....

But you see, you guys are talking about Brawl+ being done...so...

Why put so much effort into what is essentially a change tracker?

NNID
Budget_Player
These websites need a lot of work in general. I feel like it might be more useful to technically have a unified WBR website, which is mad pro for hacked brawl in general. The main thing is PR< and having a website which shows EVERYTHING in a professional way which is clean, organized, and efficient would be huge.

Something like:

BrawlMods.com or SmashMods.com

What I envision:

It has tabs for the main brawl projects:
B+
BB
B-
PM
(maybe even a tab for melee hacks, too, to expand our bounds)

A section for custom/DLC
Stages with subforums of Models, Textures
Characters Movesets with subforums of Models, Textures
AI
Music

I envision:
Chats that don't base off IRC
How-Tos for install
Forums
Dantarion's hub-based technology for each project for ticketing changes and all
Active news
Active online tournament hosting (possibly even a method to make a matchmaking system for it)
... and more
I can help out with hosting and forums if need be. As far as not being IRC chats, I have not yet found a better publicly available chat client than mibbit, except maybe AJAX chat... I totally support the idea.

shanus

Smash Hero
I could work on it....

But you see, you guys are talking about Brawl+ being done...so...

Why put so much effort into what is essentially a change tracker?
i was more thinking for the other projects. However, OSA2 is far more important ^_^

Eldiran

Smash Lord
I approve of this whole deal. Even if we get a super duper website set up, a Facebook group will still be helpful, however. We should make one and make it decent, but not plan on using it as a central hub for any of our projects.

The Cape

Smash Master
Facebook group would just basically be a link to the website with a small explanation of what it does.

For any and all projects.

5ive

Smash Champion
The facebook group sounds cool and all, but I agree with Neko. A revamped site would benefit us all.

I've been wanting a combo video section and MASS video section for each character to be updated onto the Brawl+ site with no avail.

But yeah, adding all major projects into one site would benefit the WBR as a whole. Let's get this started.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
I support the facebook/twitter ideas. Although they might not reel in masses of people as posters have suggested, every bit helps to make the game look more official and serious, so more power to ya.

My suggestion would be to really try to start plugging this game on AIB, however possible. I realize that there are sections on there for brawl plus, but I barely see people talking about it there. Maybe it would be possible to get one of our better combo videos on the front page for a while? A poll on the front page? Article? I don't talk to neal all that often so maybe someone back here has better rep with him, but i guess its worth more of a look into.

The Cape

Smash Master
I have alot of good footage for it from OBMs and Pound 4 (still need to send those matches to JCaesar).

Silven and 5ive working on the project together could really get us a great hype video to show off all the characters.

5ive

Smash Champion
inb4rape2 is 70% done. I've been slacking. After that I'm your slave. I'll do anything you want.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I don't think it's anyone we know actually, kinda surprised one exists. O_o

We need to get the ball rolling on the B+ site overhaul though, including a new theme =/

Top Bottom