• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does snake have any tricks or combos vs MK?

DieSuperFly

Smash Lord
Does Snake have any tricks vs MK or combos?

I was thinking about this a lot and in my opinion I think that Snake can have the advantage vs MK if all the snake players would just put a little more thought into that match up.

Also, i know that you can grab release falco into a dash attack, and I was told that you can chain grab falco with snake by a friend that lives in japan....just some things to think about.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
The only trick i know against MK is force a ground break grab release by pummeling to uptilt for an easy kill

and which throw chain throws Falco?

Nic64

Smash Lord
I don't think he has much in the way of combo's on MK aside from standard stuff like jab cancel to ftilt, I think the key for snake beating MK is just doing everything he can to not get gimped/***** off the stage

nevershootme

Smash Master
spamming up-smash (which i tend to do often as a safety measure) to interrupt mk's grabs (unless he dash grabs) helps wonders at times.

be a campy little ***** is what you can do vs mk. just don't fall in front of mk or eat a rapid stomping to snake's ***.

jab -> f-tilt works

DieSuperFly

Smash Lord
You can also grab release MK to dash att but i don't understand how the grab release works on MK because sometimes he goes far and other times he just lands in front of you.

most mk's think that your going to hit after a grab release.... can't you just C 4 instead of trying to hit.

IF i try to play aggressive vs MK they just tornado.. if i try to play defensive they just Down air camp to tornado =( or try to dash att me when i pull out a grenade....

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
MK only ground breaks if he breaks out of the grab while you were pummeling him, otherwise he jump breaks which is pretty useless for us

never thought of that, wouldn't a ftilt be better though? (free 21 damage)

I usually just run away and let my explosives do the talking against MKs, and you play much better people than I do so my advice is probably useless, but shield dropped grenade blows up the whorenado

nevershootme

Smash Master
as far as edge games go. play it safe and don't dive off like a lunatic. could always lay down 2 grenades and spam mortars to create a explosive wall should they decide to jump or roll back to stage. then you may have the opportunity to full hop n-air

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
if anything i thought you would know most, what i have taken from you mostly is to get those grenade kills when your high off the screen, sometimes even just the meta dies

it helps alot when you limit meta's options so i usually use as many explosives as possible, the nikkita is even useful...

DieSuperFly

Smash Lord
but if you sweet spot the dash att at like 140 MK dies from a grab release i think.....

And also its guarantee damage.... i hate guessing =(

i know how to limit MK's ground game, and this i learned from playing East Coast MK's which is pretty much putting land mines in the middle of the stage.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Snake doesn't really need any tricks, he's capable of taking MK on as he is. Make sure you're dropping grenades everywhere, keep him spaced with Ftilt, and DON'T GET KNOCKED OFF STAGE!!!

If he's juggling you, pull out a 'nade to trade even damage. It hurts him more than you.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
DSF you still play snake?

I think uthrow -> utilt works @low %
Yes, then you can mortar. Don't tell me that he can airdodge, which he can, but it's mostly for defense and if he doesn't expect it it can hit. You can also charge for a very small amount of time to throw off his dodge.

Nades prevent retaliation.
DACUS gets you the frick away from there.

If someone has a trick to prevent Snake leaving the ground it would be appreciated.

Snake has more explosive tricks you can want, except the above one.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah Snake has a chaingrab on falco, its a jump release chaingrab, Ive known about it forawhile <3

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
One tip vs mk. ----> Nair breaks through their up b when rising. Double jump nair and fast fall so it looks like your going to get landing lag but time it right and then snake dash. Set mines and c4 everywhere. in the air, just pressure with falling back nair with your explosions. They both complement eachother to help you vs mk in the air and on the ground. When they try to dair you repeatedly, uptilt very quickly...it helps. Snake dashing is really good but their ftilt and dtilt can break it also sooooooo...pull a grenade out but DONT shield drop it and fthrow it because it throws diagonally down so they might want to jump or run forward...right after you throw it you should snake dash to pressure while leaving explosions on the other side of the stage then continue with your pressuing nair/uptilt.

Well thats how I play against them and it worked vs Dojo :p

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
It might sound cliche or whatever, but honestly I think you really just have to change it up. Yeah, shield dropped grenade works on tornado, but if you know it's coming and they nado above the ground shield drop can't hit then so you should just hit with utilts disjointed hitbox, because most will expect you to be saving it for a kill anyway.

The other thing is like what razer said explosives to pressure him onto the ground and then like you said claymores on the ground, and have your c4 handy for either of these parts. Pending the stage, if it's a place like FD I plant a claymore and a c4 in front of it, it's nice because if he's dashing towards the claymore, then blow up the c4 and if he shields both run and grab him, if he takes an aerial route up smash, and nair seem to work for me .But on BF I'll put a claymore either below the c4 for the explosion wall or on the other platforms and try to stay in the middle of the stage. That way MK could take the aerial route but I have some defense and time to prepare if he's jumping through explosives.

davizinho

Smash Apprentice
as far as edge games go. play it safe and don't dive off like a lunatic. could always lay down 2 grenades and spam mortars to create a explosive wall should they decide to jump or roll back to stage. then you may have the opportunity to full hop n-air
If the MK spams the A button, he can get out of a full hopped nair w/ a nair or fair of his own. Really sucks.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Snake doesn't really need any tricks, he's capable of taking MK on as he is. Make sure you're dropping grenades everywhere, keep him spaced with Ftilt, and DON'T GET KNOCKED OFF STAGE!!!

If he's juggling you, pull out a 'nade to trade even damage. It hurts him more than you.
that seems to explain it in a nutshell. It would be a bad idea for a mk player to try to spam nados and loops against that, and i think shield dropping nades when mk approaches and attempts repeated f tilts and down aswell. And yes absolutely stay on the stage, and when at high altitudes b reversals can mix things up well.

-Ran

Smash Master
The MKs that you worry about are the ones that don't Spam tornado. DSF is obviously asking for a trick, or something to that extent, to help vs a Top Level MK player, such as M2k, Dojo, Lee, Azen, etc. These players only utilize tornado as an occasional -rare- air dodge **** move. Considering DSF has become a high level MK, he knows this as well. The main question is how do shut down MKs approach and grab game. Most higher end Mks are going to grab Snake, so they can get him into the air.

So any tricks? Not really.

I take it back. Snake has one 'trick.' If you can make Mk afraid to approach, you can win. Power Shielding is how you beat MK.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
@CO18 Cool, I never knew that.
^Not sarcasm
^Not sarcasm

I'll need to practice that, cause one of my brawlin' buds mains falco.

napZzz

Smash Hero
is snakes cg on falco a jump release like the yoshi on mk chain grab?

and I hate getting grabbed by mk....his grab is sooo fast and he can catch you in the lag of the smallest thing, even shield dropping a nade.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
If grabbing were the problem, couldn't you go for 4th controller or just the higher number slot, and just try to have a nade at hand always so when they grab you it drops and explodes and hurts them but not you? I mean i suppose you really can't guarantee getting a higher priority slot, but wouldn't that help with grabs?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
i know how to limit MK's ground game, and this i learned from playing East Coast MK's which is pretty much putting land mines in the middle of the stage.
Rofl, I remember watching you do that to Vidjo. I have no idea why that works against them. MK's ftilt, dtilt, and down smash can destroy the mine really easily from a distance.

Staco

Smash Champion
Rofl, I remember watching you do that to Vidjo. I have no idea why that works against them. MK's ftilt, dtilt, and down smash can destroy the mine really easily from a distance.
Wait some month snakes using this and every mk will easy destroy the mine, after one mk starts to do it. ;)
(But before this happens some good snakes have to use the mine in this way.)

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i had to teach omni that MK's ftilt can destroy mines, a relatively simple counter to planting a mine and spamming usmash. also, MK's uthrow beats most nade camping, and puts you in the air. always gotta watch out for that.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
about the falco grab realse cg explain more my friend plays falco and it would be cool to get back at him with a cg

PottyJokes

Smash Apprentice
Snake can actually CG Metaknight too. Grab release him into the air, then boost grab him (A+Z) then repeat. you can finish with a grab release into sweetspotted dash attack which will ko at higher %s

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
I tried this supposed "chain grab" but he's just barely out of reach when I try to follow up with a regrab after the release.

On topic: If MK hits your shield with shuttle loop on the edge, you should be able to up-tilt and either clash with the glide attack if he uses it too early or hit him with the utilt if you space it right.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I doubt snake can chain grab meta knight, his grab range isn't long enough.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
snake can chaingrab falco with boosted grabs
which actually is pretty good ive tried it already
when you kill them and plant a mine on the corner
whenever they come back on the stage, you can just grab him and grab realase/regrab untill he hits the mine or is in range to just Fthrow him and then just follow with an Uair(Nair is inconsistant with this)

and btw DSF
i dont snake has a bad matchup with mk at all....snake def. has the upperhand...inui keeps telling me that and i wouldnt believe him....but now i know hes right....just techchasing and uptilt at 100% and just drop back to a stage while holding a gernade

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
the way i do it is when your running press down on the cstick and immedietly after press grab
think of it like your doing motar slide...but instead of doing up Z just press Z

napZzz

Smash Hero
snake can chaingrab falco with boosted grabs
which actually is pretty good ive tried it already
when you kill them and plant a mine on the corner
whenever they come back on the stage, you can just grab him and grab realase/regrab untill he hits the mine or is in range to just Fthrow him and then just follow with an Uair(Nair is inconsistant with this)

and btw DSF
i dont snake has a bad matchup with mk at all....snake def. has the upperhand...inui keeps telling me that and i wouldnt believe him....but now i know hes right....just techchasing and uptilt at 100% and just drop back to a stage while holding a gernade
is it a neutral release chain grab like the one yoshi has on meta knight>?

Top Bottom