• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone ever use Sheik's Chain?

Super Samus 99

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious.Can it be used for edguarding certain characters?Or can it be used for a different purpose?Or is it completely useless?

PlayaFritz

Smash Apprentice
It actually can be used to edgegaured characters. It especially ***** fox and falco, but keep in mind there are better ways to edgegaurd

God of shiek

Smash Apprentice
Really I think there is no used it can be used to stun people and to make a approach attack. or if a opponent is trying to get around you.

Codename: Zero

Smash Journeyman
Eh, I never really use it for edge guarding: that's what ledge hop bairs are for.

It does make a good taunt though *whipcrack*.

jnolan

Smash Apprentice
There are two uses I have found for the whip...
1) Edge Guarding Fox/Falco, but Needles do this as well (and much better)
2) I once got back on the ledge, and accidentally used the chain instead of a full needle on a fast approaching marth. He got caught in it, and it proved to have worked very well (nice 25% or so). It was an accident, but it worked.

darkatma

Smash Hero
This thread..never dies...
Or when it does, someone new brings it up. Again >:O

The only use i found for it.. way back, was when a fox or falco jumps out to shine you, tries to make it back with a fire fox (or falco's equivalent) and you know you cant make it back, so just throw out the chain, and drag them to their doom. It works.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
while it's not a good killing method, the chain is an excellent way to rack up damage when edge-guarding space animals, although it'll take a while.

monty06

Smash Ace
it only works on edge guarding fast fallers especially fox and falco. it works quite well they get like 300% before they can get back on the stage but they usally gve up by then or fail to recover by hitting wrong button or jus get frustrated. it also works on cpt falcon cos its upb wont go over the chain so he jus gets caught in it. the chain doesnt work on other characters that i have found. other then this above there isnt any other uses for it.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Some times I accidently whip it out and it hits my opponent long enough to grab them.Plus you can stand with your back to the edge against a marth and he practically can't touch you(at least not with out taking about 30%)

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Rob money uses it when he can't tech chase sometime. Check out him vs wife's falco on vod. hot ****.

ShackDaddy

Smash Ace
i think it also works well agsint marth and roy b/c they have no projectiles or way of getting thru it. Just make sure ur in a good spot.

then again there are other better things u could do

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
If I use it it's as a surprise tactic to mess up a fox/falco/falcon's sweetspot and follow with a f/d tilt to fair.

works everytime if used sparingly

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
i was using it on a marth who couldn't touch me while i had it out be he eventually learned he could counter it (Down B) so i would only try it against someone who couldn't figure that out.

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
Yea, My fiancee figured that out and rained on my parade ;( But still, it has it's uses for edgeguarding characters who can't easily get above you (read as Jigglypuff, Pikachu and others with high, controllable UP+Bs) or for sheer mindgames (albeit a sorry one) and to make it 3/4 B button combinations used (Side/Up/Neutral.) I use 4/4, but that's just my style. If someone worked with it hard enough, I'm sure it could be something amazing.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
its stupid to use

needles can do the same exact thing on recoveries without the lag the chain has

using chain on fox/falco recoveries is stupid and scrubby because though u can rack up damage if they're in the position to get hit by the chain u should be able to kill them 100% anyway -.-

@darkatma i never thought about doing that vs a fox who had just shined me LOL it might work i'll try it

Sheek

Smash Apprentice
I kinda want to find a good use for it. Lets consider the pros
Range
Directability
Repetetive hits
Hmm...

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
its too bad you can't use it to hook into the side of levels like the hookshot or grappeling beam, there was a rumor you could and it would give some purpose to the chain but it just dose a crappier job of tasks you can perform better with other tactics and practice.

(Prince) Shadow

Smash Lord
VISSEN!!!

I did had a tread about this, but it got deleted a ling time ago. after some pages it just died.

anyway, they where very happy I came up with it.

it's basicly just putting the end (a bit more) over the egde and keep falco and fox firefoxing against the edge.
it ranks up damage and could kill them.
the can come back but have a hard time doing that.
trow needles first when they are at edge lvl or they'll firefox over it.

it's easy
it's annoying
it's degrading and fun

It's called vissen ;)

marthsword

Smash Ace
It messes up more recoveries than just space animals. Pretty much every recovery that doesn't have incvincibility frames. It's super annoying.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I know this has been said alot, but I don't feel like reading through to see exactly how many times.

Chain ***** Fox/Falco. Needles/B-Airs/N-Airs/F-Airs are usually better, but I find the chain extremely useful if the Fox/Falco is Recovering from directly under the ledge. Por ejemplo; you knock 'em off, and they DI toward the stage. They start their Up+B near the killzone, and aim straight up to sweetspot. Due the extreme angles, needles wont work (unless ya wanna run off, change direction w/ the needle, use the needle, then recover yourself- which is fine, but alot of work and more room for error). Use the chain so that the tip dangles off the ledge. As they come up, they'll get owned by it & many will continue to attempt to recover, which adds more damage. Even if they get back, they'll get back with around 50% more damage than they went off with.

Other than that, I can't think of any good examples.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I know this has been said alot, but I don't feel like reading through to see exactly how many times.

Chain ***** Fox/Falco. Needles/B-Airs/N-Airs/F-Airs are usually better, but I find the chain extremely useful if the Fox/Falco is Recovering from directly under the ledge. Por ejemplo; you knock 'em off, and they DI toward the stage. They start their Up+B near the killzone, and aim straight up to sweetspot. Due the extreme angles, needles wont work (unless ya wanna run off, change direction w/ the needle, use the needle, then recover yourself- which is fine, but alot of work and more room for error). Use the chain so that the tip dangles off the ledge. As they come up, they'll get owned by it & many will continue to attempt to recover, which adds more damage. Even if they get back, they'll get back with around 50% more damage than they went off with.

Other than that, I can't think of any good examples.
nay, needles can intercept the intersection point if a fox ever tries to go to the edge, or come straight up from the edge. the needles hitboxes overtake the grab area where you would grab on, so you can just continuously short hop needle, or what i do is just short hop needle til they fall down again, then run off and back air them out of their firefox. ^^

Tian

Smash Apprentice
I always use it.

In my opinion, it's a really good attack.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The chain can be used very well, and if you get a space animal off the edge and use it, it is possible to kill them with 0 chance of recovery. Also, if you are caught with the chain out on land, most consider that an automatic "I'm dead" thing. Just don't put it up. Keep it out and keep tapping that chain. You'd be surprised how often it is that people don't know how to counteract against the chain and will take a good 10, 15, 20, even 30% from being tippered by it before you are hit.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The character specific threads are so useless sometimes.
Not if you are just picking up the character, or are wanting to know more about a specific aspect of that character you have no knowledge about.

This long after a game's release, you'd have to expect to know most of what will be discussed by now. If you feel all these threads are useless, try adding something to it, or answering questions.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Actually Plair, Marcus used the chain on me in tourney on FoD back at Gauntlet, and I couldn't get up from it, it was quite annoying. Once you're under the stage you're screwed pretty much unless they mess up and/or you DI and/or air dodge back on or grab the ledge which is hard to do. The thing is, Sheik has so many better edge guard options it hardly matters.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Exactly what I am trying to say, m2k. The fact that you're stuck under the stage is great, and all, except the chain won't kill unless the fox messes up. Why bother, when if a fox is under you where the chain can gay them that badly, you should be able to take their stock instantly anyway.

@Overswarm, i answer almost everyones questions on here, except for when the topic has already been made 4 times and people are too lazy to just scroll down for an answer.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I use sheiks chain to knock people off balance. if you use it when they have enough damage, you can hit them again before they recover.

(Prince) Shadow

Smash Lord
why you use the chain in stead of other/better edgeguards
well, it's great to get a lot of damage on your enemy. that't the whole thought on this move.
if it kills when the fox/falco messes up, good for you. but it's realy just a cheap way to deliver a lot of damage. after that, almost any attack is a KO.

offcourse you can better egdeguard with, say a b-air, when the got a lot of damage to make a kill.

LessThanThree

Smash Journeyman
This thread..never dies...
Or when it does, someone new brings it up. Again >:O

The only use i found for it.. way back, was when a fox or falco jumps out to shine you, tries to make it back with a fire fox (or falco's equivalent) and you know you cant make it back, so just throw out the chain, and drag them to their doom. It works.
lol, i totally did this to a ganon the other day... i got daired off the edge and jump cancelled but was too low to recover, so i whipped it out, no pun intended, and drag that ganon into the abyss with me

Top Bottom