• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think the human race will survive to see the end of our solar system?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
O_O

Awesome thread.
But then... how did it begin? Maybe all the big bangs are linked together in some kind of time continueum.. and there is no begining! Something we will just never be able to comprehend as humans..
That leads to the possibility that "something" so powerfull that we can't even comprehend may have started the entire thing.

We could even be an experiment in some super advanced races lab for all we know.

Pikaville

Terraforming Mars seems to entirely possible and within 100 years.Using super greenhouse gases we could raise temperatures of mars thus melting the water frozen in its soil giving mars seas lakes etc.It would give mars a somewhat proper atmosphere.

Is this possible xZero beatx?Or is it just a pipe dream.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Am I the only one who kinda hopes we don't last until the end of the solar system?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Pikaville, in theory, that sounds great, but in practice, not so much. The next 100 years? It depends on us stumbling across some sort of technological advancement. Perhaps if we can have nuclear fusion last longer than 1 **** second, we could start talking.

There is a major project that will begin within the next four years I believe; the ambition is based on how to lengthen nuclear fusion(Its duration, they're making an even bigger and updated particle accelerator), which as a result, may allow us for less expensive travel. However, you should do some research on "how spacetravel works" if we'd like to land on Mars. It's more complicated than you think. You have to acknowledge the possibility that you might die. I really don't feel like explaining how it works so if you want to know, research it, I need a nap.>_< It's just basically, hitching a ride on the sun's gravity until' you meet Mars at point x(whatever, your destination). Problem is, it would take a couple of years for the two planets to line up so you can launch from Mars and make it back to Earth. Many things can go wrong. Years on Mars would seem like a lifetime in terms of feeling alienated. Humans will be humans, regardless of their mental/physical training. There's more implications, trust me. Years away from Earth's "familiar" gravity takes a toll on your body.

Am I the only one who kinda hopes we don't last until the end of the solar system?
Why not..? Think of what you just said, that's horrible lol.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
This is one of the best threads i have ever seen. Thank you for making it continue. We need more stuff like this in the Pool Room that actually is good for discussion.

I do believe that the world is going to end before the sun goes through its phases of mass destruction on planet Earth. In all likelihood, we will all die due to a dangerous climate change in the coming years. Do you know why there will be a climate change? One word (and i can't believe no one mentioned this)..............Yellowstone. It will happen, and nobody will survive due to the several layers of ash that will cover the world and contaminate the atmosphere, blocking out sunlight and forcing all natural plantlife into extinction. Thus, we will be forced to grow the plants in areas of artificial light. If we can figure out how to do that, we will survive that. Picking up after half of our good nation was covered in lava, we will begin a new soiety and try to take over the now practically invincible Chinese Empire. That's right......... I said Empire. They will have taken over Russia, thus taking over 65% of the vodka industry. With us rich americans without our good vodka, we will be forced into regression to the middle-class americans who can't do **** except wildly riot and join workers' unions. We will be screwed, China's ways will kill half the globe, and then there is the idea of Global Warming. Too much climate change will end up wiping out the rest of what is mentally human (i'm not saying Chinese people aren't human, but some of them are very loose on matching the description of the term "human" mentally). Thus, humanity will be extinct. The species will live on, but the idea of humanity will be gone I'd say in about 3.5 million years. Thank you.

P.S. I'm not rich. I'm middle class. My neighbor is in a nurses' union.

Pikaville

X Zero beat X just to let you know I was aware of the dangers of the terraforming mars project but its all they really have at the moment so I was just mentioning it .Discovery did a really cool documentary about the whole project and the guys who came up with it.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Yeah we'll see what goes on. Hey there's a really good show on Mars I believe coming this sunday at 7pm on the Discovery Channel? Either Discovery or Science Channel. Check for it, it'll be leet.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I doubt it. Before that happens the Earth will go through countless mass extinctions in which very few species will survive them all. Humans don't have a chance because they depend on the grand scale of only having to worry about themselves and whenever something ugly does happen (earthquake, flooding, etc) it often wipes out massive amounts of people.

Sharks might, cockroaches definitely. Humans? Very unlikely.

Pikaville

When I die all the universes secrets better be revealed to me.Otherwise........well I wont really be able to do anything.

RavenPsyc

Smash Rookie
Something i noticed from reading through this thread (and i did read every word, i didn't just jump in shooting my mouth off) is that this is a real thinking group so I am going to propose a question to all that are involved in this.

Where do you think God (or idea of God) fits into this discussion?

Is it possible that the continuous birth and death of the universe pattern that is mentioned earlier was started not by a advanced life form's experiment but started by God.

Also I am wondering if this group will allow room for the existence of God in this discussion or will if be ridden off as the "lazy" answer as is the case all too often i think.

RolandBeoulve

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'm one of those lazy types that is just waiting to see what happens. By all good odds our solar system has a LOOOONNNNGGG time to go, it will probaly outlive our extinction by a million or so years>.>

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Why couldn't we just be normal monkeys? Simple, we aren't stupid. The human race was made because of it's desire to understand. We are probably the most intelligent species in our galaxy. When you think about it, the concept of having electricity is ludicrous, and so is the internet. It seems impossible, yet here we are, thousands of years after our creation, posting on a forum.

The point, though, is that we are just getting dumber and dumber. People call us "nerds" now if we want to understand the universe. People kill because someone is a different color/religion. We are in conflict with each other. Yet, we still consider us the most civilized race on this planet. Hell, we even fight about VIDEOGAME CONSOLES. What has the world come to?

To this: laziness. Our laziness makes us slow and stupid, and it seems to be expanding fast. About 20 years ago, having more than 3 videogame consoles would make you an instant GOD, now people think that you're a nerd to have them. People don't want to understand anymore, we think we know everything. Surely we can get on with our lives? Who cares about school, let's go hang out and act ignorant all day. The laziness and ignorance is going to overwhelm us, and when the day comes...

I still have hope for us: our evolution. We are getting smarter, and thus our evolution cycle will change to fit our intelligence. About 97% of our brain's capability is obscure to us, yet by the end of the century, we might be at half that. Probably, at the end of this millenia, we will be colonizing Mars! We will learn to use the hidden functions of our brain to levitate, communicate through telepathy and use other psychic powers. Our brain's capabilities will seem like nothing, and we will be lazy all over again.

Of course, that might be going in the realm of science fiction, but hovercars were science fiction once, yet we are already starting to see some to be developed.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well our sun will more than likely explode into a red giant then form a black hole engulfing our universe.

The question is will we survive to see it?

I personally say no.We will have wiped each other out through some kind of war.Or some extremely deadly/contagious disease will eradicate us instead.Or some asteroid will hit earth either
(1.)Completely annihilate the planet or
(2.)Send us into some neo Ice age that we could never survive.

There are the few who would survive war but it would be short lived as soon as basic needs weren't available.

Even if we did live till the end,the scary thing is we would be vaporised within roughly 15-30 seconds of the sun exploding.

Well what do you think?Will we see the true end of our existence as we know it.Or will we be gone long before that?
First of all, let me answer the question with a no. When the Sun begins it's transition into a Red Giant the resulting increase in temperature will destroy the Earth's atmosphere before it has completely evolved into a Red Giant. Secondly, if for some miraculous chance our atmosphere is not destroyed in the process the Sun's magnitude would increase dramatically so much in fact that it would engulf the Earth's orbit even if the Sun loses 38% of it's mass. Last but not least when a star enters the Red Giant state it does not become a black hole later on, it will become a white dwarf which has less mass than a star and gives light as well but not as much as a star. Also, the Sun does not explode into a Red Giant it is a transitional state... The only way for a black hole to develop from a star is that that star has to be in the medium to high mass category which those stars end their lives in supernovae that then cause black holes, neutron stars etc. Our Sun is small, really small compared to most of the stars out there, therefore considered to be in the low mass area, and small stars enter the Red Giant state and then end their lives as a white dwarf. Also, the Sun will not explode it will be losing its mass through the transition from a Red Giant into the white dwarf...

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
White dwarfs have about the mass of the sun with about the Earth's size. They are rediculously dense. But yes, most likely this will be the fate of our Sun. But we don't have to worry about that since the human race will probably be killed off. It will doubtfully become a black hole

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
no way in hell we will be around that long. things are already shaping up to be pretty bad

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Some one mentioned Yellowstone's super volcano?

I've actually wonder if we could bleed off the pressure from volcanoes before they blow up. Sort of like a pot of boiling water with the lid on it. Leave the lid on with no vents and the pressure from the water vapor will eventually blow off leaving a hot wet mess, When to avoid this all you need to do is barely lift one corner enough for steam to get out.

The only problem is, how do we drill that deep to the magma...

On the topic anyway, there is no way we'll live to see the day our sun dies.

Chibi-pika

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere in the desert, where cactus grow, and it
I don't feel safe knowing that every year the temperature is rising, i'm in the middle of the desert, in the U.S. so it was 120 degrees this year, so i'm worried about next year. . . global warming sucks! If it does happen, which I don't know, we'll all drown. Worst part is i'm a young person thinking about all this stuff . . .

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
Well our sun will more than likely explode into a red giant then form a black hole engulfing our universe.

The question is will we survive to see it?

I personally say no.We will have wiped each other out through some kind of war.Or some extremely deadly/contagious disease will eradicate us instead.Or some asteroid will hit earth either
(1.)Completely annihilate the planet or
(2.)Send us into some neo Ice age that we could never survive.

There are the few who would survive war but it would be short lived as soon as basic needs weren't available.

Even if we did live till the end,the scary thing is we would be vaporised within roughly 15-30 seconds of the sun explosion.

Well what do you think?Will we see the true end of our existence as we know it.Or will we be gone long before that?
Wow. That's a little... morbid.

Anyways, way we're going, we'll probably be lucky to make it another 1,000 years before something bad happens. Under the assumption we do make it that long, if anyone's still left on Earth, technology will be so advanced they will probably have calculated the exact moment (and a way to escape) of the Sun's explosion/death/swelling/ect.

Also, on your 15-30 second thing: Nothing travels faster than light. It takes appx. eight minutes for light from the Sun to reach Earth. Therefore, we would have at least eight minutes before heaven gets an order of extra-cripsy humans.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
no we won't because a massive global warming issue will hit us

also, why are you interested in seeing the end? I mean c'mon, it isn't anything exciting, it's just the doom for the entire universe

CR4SH

Smash Lord
not even close. We've only been organized and civilized for like 5000 years(in celestial terms, not ****), and we're already just about ready to wipe out the human race. There's no chance we'll see the next million, let alone 5 or so billion.

There are so many things already happening that WILL kill us all, given enough time, and given that something else doesn't get to us first. Neuclears, nanomachine research and general genetic weakening just to name a few.

There is hope though, if we learn to effectively colonize celestial bodies (planets, asteroids etc), we can spread the human race out enough that any one thing would have a tough time killing us all. That said, I have a hard time seeing earth being able to support human life for more than a couple thousand more years.

I haven't read all the posts before me, but I'm certain that someone has claimed humans are on the brink of destroying life on earth. There's not a snowball's chance in hell, thats just arrogant. Earth will continue to support life until something very powerful from outside the planet changes the entire dynamic of the planet. Humans can and will kill all humans, but not all life.

edit: just finished reading all the posts, most of them were what i expected except for two. Bluezaft, your post was brilliant, It's something that I must say hadn't crossed my mind, but after you pointed it out to me (err, us) I've got no doubt in my mind that you're right. But I really doubt we make it to the point where we can evolve to the point of being another species.

Also, zerobeat. no ****? I hadn't looked into andromeda either, thats really pretty badass. I knew galaxies collided and such, but I didn't know we were next. And yeah, supermassive blackhole interaction pretty much spells doom for us. Like you implied, there's no real danger of running into another planet or anything goofy like that, space is far far too big, and galaxies far far too sparse for that to happen.

What I really wanted to address was global warming. I agree with you that it has a ticking timebomb attached to it, that, if given time to tick to its end, WILL kill us all. However, the way I see things global warming needs to take a ticket and find its place in line. For instance, purell (well, not the actual product, but the basic mindset of people that use them). Hand sanitizer is honest to god doomsday. If and when we immunize influenza, or any of the plethora of fantastic diseases that get 99.99% killed by "antibacterial!" products, it will kill us all. Why in the world would you want to accelerate bacteria's ability to kill us so god****ed much? for instance, there are already at least 4 types of Tuberculosis that are completely immune or otherwise resistant to all known antibiotics.

@ the dude bashing moonflight. The way I see it, like I said before, space exploration is our only viable option for species survival. Staying on earth = impending and unavoidable doom. But unless einstein is wrong, we're pretty much boned.

edit2: Zero, I think you're a bit too cynical about mars terraforming. Moving enough stuff from earth to mars to change the planet is impossible of course. Mars is much too far away for earth to provide any support of that type. But I don't think that 100 years, for at least partial terraform, is all that far fetched. Granted, that is assuming we can find an energy source easily attainable on mars (and I guess that is quite a big assumption) but I think that will happen. The key to this, IMO is that there are a few plants on earth that could probably survive the martian climate. Lichens and mosses could certainly, given time, make it possible to plant more and more complex fauna. It would require a massive financial undertaking to start, but I think if you can get a few hundred people, and some basic machinery to mars, human ingenuity can find a way. Everything we need is on mars, if only we can get a foothold. But at the end of the day, it probably won't make much difference.

Autydragoon

Smash Journeyman
In a circle with Fez, Hyde, Eric and Kelso
This thread has just won the award for most depressing topic.

On the other hand I think that 5 billion years from now we will have probably left the Earth or at least some of us will have because we would be looking for a different way of living. Curiosity will have taken it's course.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
thats so hard to say. i have thought about this b4 tho lol.
wat kind of technology will we even have by then lol. will we even live in this solar sytem anymore?

Lord Bafore

Smash Rookie
Well, not sure if this has already been mentioned, but the sun's mass is not nearly large enough to explode and become a black hole, and even if it did, the black hole wouldn't destroy the solar system, although the explosion would

Even then, if humans (or some form of equally intelligent life) can survive a few thousand more years (without any major setbacks in technology) then, I believe that we could survive indefinitely

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
It's hard to tell. Isn't a giant asteroid supposed to hit earth in about 500 years or something?

If that's the case, we might have the tech to stop it, but with all the dangers looming ahead of us, I can't say we'll live to see it.

And do you actually know what you're talking about? 15-30 seconds? Source?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
No the human race will not survive long enough.

Why? Because of the Earth's core. All planets' core eventually cool off. And without a super hot core, water will evaporate but will not condense back to the Earth and our atmosphere will disappear.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
No the human race will not survive long enough.

Why? Because of the Earth's core. All planets' core eventually cool off. And without a super hot core, water will evaporate but will not condense back to the Earth and our atmosphere will disappear.
Agreed, at OP our sun is not massive enough to form a Black Hole even if it formed a black hole it still would not be large enough to engulf the universe.

Here is a digram showing the life cycle of stars like our Sun.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
What a great thread, though didn't expect it in the smash forums. Must agree with the person that described the core issue. Without a molten and kinetic core, the protective magnetic field around Earth would weaken and disappear leaving us vulnerable to the cosmic elements, not to mention no atmosphere; it is supposed to happen sooner than the sun goes hypernova.

pillsbury552

Smash Apprentice
How hot is the sun at the Red Giant stage?
I don't think enyone will even know, the sun isn't going to turn into a red gaint, but that was the last time I checked a book. The human race could end in 2036 but there's only like a .022
chance that it will. If it does it will all end when an astroid hits earth, but that probably won't happen... I think:chuckle: And the sun isn't going to go hypernova it's too small!

Top Bottom