• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think Melee will last the next 5 years?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
How can you say that Brawl is an unbeatable titan when most of the top players like melee more? rofl, brawl is just surviving on hype. Melee is an amazing game with roots in a very strong a fanbase that is unwilling to give it up. SSB64 is still going, and it actually had a superior successor.
yes 64 is still going. but its such a minority that no one notices it. melee will follow. All the old pros still hang to melee, and due to that the turn out is low and will continue to decline. melee is a thing of the past. im glad to. i played it for 7 years.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, you guys are kind of joking yourself iyou think Melee will be around forever like it has been.

Want my advice?

Hold tournaments. Biggins. Forget the small stuff, and just have smashfests with your friends inbetween giant tournaments to bring in OOS players. That's about the only way Melee will survive in any form: 3 or 4 large events per year.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Yeah, you guys are kind of joking yourself iyou think Melee will be around forever like it has been.

Want my advice?

Hold tournaments. Biggins. Forget the small stuff, and just have smashfests with your friends inbetween giant tournaments to bring in OOS players. That's about the only way Melee will survive in any form: 3 or 4 large events per year.
I think we can count the Georgia tournament as one, right? Three more to go.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Melee will last as long as a better game does not replace it. I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. I realize its really good and has a lot of things that would be hard to copy, but it also has the correct amount of simple things that make it work. I guess developers are out of touch with these things or maybe they don't understand what these things are. What if there never really is a better replacement? Surely, some former smash player(s) would eventually make it, right?

I think Melee will definitely last until that long. The issue is probably, if the community can keep growing or will it keep become smaller until the day there is a better game.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman

Want my advice?

I don't think anyone seriously believes the Melee scene will ever be the same since Brawl has arrived. Brawl has just too much hype and support behind it.

Your second point I agree with, though. The easiest way to keep Melee thriving is to consolidate major tournaments and focus on grass roots efforts (smashfests, just playing the **** game with friends and such.) Through things like this, Melee will continue to live on.

L__

Smash Master

Want my advice?

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I think we should have a massive USWest vs. USEast. If not., since I live in Cali, we should have a Nor*Cal vs. So*Cal tourney in honor of Melee's technicality.

andrewg

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing a lot of brawl lately, it wasn't until I played melee again that I was like "this is definately better for competive play." Playing melee competively is just very fun, and fast paced, it takes a lot of skill to master the game. I am terrible at melee still, but I think I'm going to start trying to play that again.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
With the way Nintendo's been going about things lately, it may not be for quite a while.
Now that I think about it, its likely Nintendo, with their apathy and/or ignorance of competitive gaming today, will not be the company that makes the worthy replacement.

Looking at SC2 development, for example, its easy to see the community involvement when there are former pro players on the dev team, current pro players testing it, and feedback and specific questions from major community forums are taken and answered periodically. Even with all of this, there is still negativity and uncertainty regarding the progress so far. I think this shows how much community involvement creating a competitive game can take nowadays, especially when there is a established community with expectations.

By the time Nintendo is caught up to the current standards of community involvement, online play, user created content, and graphics, we will all probably all have arthritis. Ok, I didn't mean to digress so much. Its just sort of disappointing when you see a great deal potential wasted for a marginal increase in profits.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Good to see my topic go this far.

Seriously. **** Ignorant casuals. **** Nintendo.
I have supported Nintendo since the SNES days. And I loved it. But now it just sucks. I'm getting a PS3 and I'm leaving Nintendo.

There's a group in my town that plays Brawl. They used to play Melee but they moved on. I'll try to convince them to get back to Melee. I'l teach them the AT's and show 'em how competitive Melee can get.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
no i personally don't think it will. I saw the whole Brwll/melee thing before with Counterstrike 1.6/Source. I think everyone is now playing source, juts because it's bigger 'bett'er nd more updated.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
no i personally don't think it will. I saw the whole Brwll/melee thing before with Counterstrike 1.6/Source. I think everyone is now playing source, juts because it's bigger 'bett'er nd more updated.
That's the thing. Brawl may be bigger (more characters, more music, more stages), but it's certainly not better. It may be slightly more updated, but the likelihood of there being a single patch for Brawl in the future is almost nonexistent. Source is updated every once in a while to fix certain small things, but it looks like Brawl will be stuck with its flaws forever.

If Source had better graphics and more content, but less gameplay elements, and flaws that won't be patched, I'm sure people would turn to 1.6. But Nintendo is nothing like Steam.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The scene is waning right now, but I firmly believe that Melee will stand the test of time. However, I don't believe that it will ever regain the prevalence it once enjoyed. Shlock like Brawl will dwindle and be forgotten.

Grunt

Smash Master
Same happened with Halo 2 and 3.
All the huge influx of N00bs rushing for the new game almost halted, and only a smaller more persistant community remains. granted there's still about 100x more halo people than smash, which is why their community is still very strong. I'm not so sure about Smash, it may be too small to continue very big in the competetive scene if this happens.

Jube Jube

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I think melee will stand the test of time but just not as well as Brawl. There are people here in Florida who still even play melee and some who even play melee because they dislike brawl! To be honest, Brawl would be so much more popular if they had kept the fighting exactly the same as it was in melee, since people seem to love that game so much, but since Brawl is so different... I'm not sure which one will be the victor in the end. I'm leaning more towards Brawl though, since it has more characters, online, (even if it's a giant disappointment, it's still there) and probably a bigger fan base than Melee, since it's attracted most of the veterans as well as newcomers.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think melee will stand the test of time but just not as well as Brawl. There are people here in Florida who still even play melee and some who even play melee because they dislike brawl! To be honest, Brawl would be so much more popular if they had kept the fighting exactly the same as it was in melee, since people seem to love that game so much, but since Brawl is so different... I'm not sure which one will be the victor in the end. I'm leaning more towards Brawl though, since it has more characters, online, (even if it's a giant disappointment, it's still there) and probably a bigger fan base than Melee, since it's attracted most of the veterans as well as newcomers.
Melee veterans only play Brawl to take money from Brawl n00bs at tournaments. Once the Brawl N00bs move out, all of them will go back to Melee.

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master

Want my advice?

Ignore this.

Melee will live longer. Trust me. I will say one thing though. Somebody needs to save our community.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Start going to/hosting regional tournaments, only you can breathe life into this game.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Melee rocks.
I just played it today, and wiped the floor with everyone.
It will always live on somewhere, because someone, in some place, is thinking Arby's.

Anyway.
Brawl is still very competitive.
It just depends on how you play, as I don't see how a fast-aced battle is not competitive.
I guess I just can't figure out how Melee is any more competitive than Brawl.
I support neither, but I say that Melee is only more competitive because you have to think fast and act fast.
Same goes with Brawl, actually.
I played a battle today:
Fox vs. Fox.
Final Destination.
No items.
It really didn't seem that much different.
I mean, it is different, in that Melee (if you're against a good opponent) is "dodge this one move or die from the others".
Brawl can be almost like Melee, if you know how to control your character properly.
I slung my friend's Fox all over the place, and then, we played Melee, and even though Melee is faster and easier for me to kill on, we still played 5 stock on Brawl and Melee, and the score was the same: I had three lives left when I killed him.
That happens EVERY TIME we play.

Don't flame me, just opinion here.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Brawl can be almost like Melee, if you know how to control your character properly.
Almost isn't close enough, and "controlling your character properly" doesn't magically put hitstun back in and remove the floatiness. I find it hard to believe that the feel of the games didn't "seem that much different".

1337ZSS

Smash Apprentice
Very, actually. Doesn't seem like a game that would die out any time soon at all. Brawl won't get that far IMO.

PCHU

Smash Lord
By almost, I mean quickness.
Today, I was able to do quite a few drill shines......on BRAWL.
Who said it has to be exactly like it?
They made Fox's running speed slower, his fsmash slower, but everything else faster.
It's easy to get in multiple hits without moving all over the place.
So, in essence, it's htistun isn't like Melee, but the attack speed is way faster.
Look at Fox'sstandard a back then, then look at it now.
Sonic, much?

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Melee will outlast Brawl. I'm not saying Brawl isn't fun, but Melee is better in almost all ways. :)

My First Post!

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
The game will naturally lose the mainstream edge, especially as more people buy Brawl (it's still only been a few months). If the people of the old community are willing to continue with the game, then an established Melee underground will thrive. As for how long, I'm not sure. Smash 64 has had quite a run though, and I expect a lot more for this game.

Nesveri

Smash Rookie
*finally got my account work, wrong name though*

Good games won't age a bit. So I don't see why to stop playing Melee in the future because Brawl is so different.

— Same thing about SSB64. It's not as good as Melee though but more entertaining than Brawl (in my opinion of coors >_>). Too bad I don't own one yet and my analogue stick on N64 controller is in very good condition.

moonsoul

Smash Rookie
I think melee will last at least 5 more years. It just has a special charm to it that brawl can't replace.

N355

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I think we should have a massive USWest vs. USEast. If not., since I live in Cali, we should have a Nor*Cal vs. So*Cal tourney in honor of Melee's technicality.
somebody please do something in RI or MA

N355

Smash Apprentice
More and more people are coming back to melee. I had a melee match with a friend and another friend was commenting on how he thought melee was more fun and my other friend is going to play both games. Our numbers are growing

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
More and more people are coming back to melee. I had a melee match with a friend and another friend was commenting on how he thought melee was more fun and my other friend is going to play both games. Our numbers are growing
Do you prefer Melee yourself? If so, get your *** to one of the upcoming tournaments. We need more people to play Melee at these Brawl tournaments!

HyperDragon

Smash Apprentice
I've played it today as well, and I think it MUST last the next 5 years... because Brawl will never be as competitive.

Top Bottom