• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you fight level 9's?

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I use them to keep from getting rusty, as well as boost my KO count and practice and test certain tactics.

demonbarber92

Smash Rookie
I use Lv. 9's to hone my dodging skills and practice, quite often scoring perfect no-damage wins. They provide a decent practice dummy in their persistence alone.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I play level 9s, because, ofline, I have no better opponents. I am the only smasher it seems here in redneck land.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
its not that they *suck* or anything its that they dont stratigize or think etc

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Nobody fights level 9 CPUs unless they are either a) unable to find someone to play the game with them (my case back in the day, 'cause about then my sister decided games were for little kids and nerdy boys), b) using them to supplement practice with real human beings, or c) a scrub who thinks beating level 9 CPUs with no items makes them a pro.

BEES

Smash Lord
I found Lvl 9's a nice challenge in Melee. I'm not sure about Brawl. Is it harder?
Substantially harder. They're good for finding the weak spots in offense. Grabbing you during the one vulnerable frame, always footstooling at exactly the right time to kill edgeguarding attempts. Reading your button inputs, counting the frames of lag you have, and answering with the most damaging move it knows that fits that framecount.... They are much harder to kill.

The level 9 cpu plays completely different from a person though. It has no strategy. It never punishes as much as a human (no edgeguarding, no chaingrabbing), it never camps as much, and it never abuses the physics beyond possessing superhuman reflexes. Sometimes it still screws up an easy recovery. It is very autistic.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I go random, I put a random level 9 cpu

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I do quite often, mainly to warm myself up or to perfect my edgeguarding. Sometimes just for fun.

That and, I'm like the only person who plays Brawl competitively in my neighborhood.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
They have inhuman skills. For example, they can read your attack, the instant you press the buttons. Unhuman like. So I really only go for level 8's when training, trying out new things.

But if its just a fun, regular brawl. Level 9's or 7/8's depending on who i'm playing as.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
I play with 9's if I feel like playing a non-Wi-fi match. CPUs may be useless, but sometimes the lag frustrates me more than CPUs are boring.

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
The level 9s in Brawl seem to be very defensive. Usually when I fight them, they tend to stay back and wait until I attack, then they counter attack or shield-grab. (and boy are they fast at knowing when to shield).

Veggi

Smash Champion
I used to play against them a lot, but I havn't recently. It always feels wierd fighting them because some things they do much better than humans and things I would do on humans doesn't work on them, some things I do to them doesn't work on humans.

I could've sworn I've seen the computer RAR with DK and G&W.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I think that the level 9 comps have a pretty decent AI and are pretty alright to play against. Esp when compared to melee which I can not play single player for more than ten minutes due to boredom

hough123

Smash Ace
Substantially harder. They're good for finding the weak spots in offense. Grabbing you during the one vulnerable frame, always footstooling at exactly the right time to kill edgeguarding attempts. Reading your button inputs, counting the frames of lag you have, and answering with the most damaging move it knows that fits that framecount.... They are much harder to kill.

The level 9 cpu plays completely different from a person though. It has no strategy. It never punishes as much as a human (no edgeguarding, no chaingrabbing), it never camps as much, and it never abuses the physics beyond possessing superhuman reflexes. Sometimes it still screws up an easy recovery. It is very autistic.
You make them sound......horrifying D:

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I usually just leave them at the default Level 3. Level 9s have inhumanly ridiculous dodging/shielding skills (perfect shielding EVERY TIME, anyone?), as well as the ability to read and "plan" responses to your moves before any human could. When I want to practice something new, or when I'm just looking for a battle, the Level 3s suffice. If I want something of a challenge, I bump them up to 7 or 8.

M.K

Level 55
I practice on Level 7. Level 8 and Level 9 are just....psychic! O_O They read your mind

O_O

DODGE!

O_O

DODGE!

O_O

FSMASH DODGE ROLL!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Level 1s are rough enough in Brawl. The easiest skill level shouldn't know how to perfect shield nor be fighting in a manner that's similar to Melee's level 5s.

Seriously it's always a pain to get grabbed by a level 1 that blocked ALL of your weak combo moves. Although, grab attempts are less common in Brawl compared to Melee.

In Melee, certain level 9s may end up doing close to 60 grab attempts in a 5 minute match on Final Destination. In Brawl, they rarely ever get close to 20 grab attempts, but they do tend to spam those smash attacks. Interestingly enough, dash grabs aren't seen much in Brawl either.

frdagaa

Smash Journeyman
I use them occasionally to test something if someone else isn't around. They're also half-decent for warm ups, but still so different from playing a real human that they don't count as actual practice.

Top Bottom