• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you feel Old Pokemon get weaker each generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Something my friend on another forum brought up. Do you feel like the other generations get weaker each generation? Like, the new Pokemon are normally stronger or know more? Like do you feel that way? I don't really think so, but I think some do, like some that gain a extra evolution, but that's me. What do you think?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It'd be a miracle if a certain huge group Pokemon get stronger from the addition of another group.

No, I take that back, not a miracle, an impossibility.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
I do believe there is some power-creep, but GameFreak has actually done a good job through various means of keeping old pokémon relevant along the way. If you look at the Ubers/OU pokemon of last generation, both of those tiers included a number of pokemon from earlier generations and were not dominated by any single gen. Checking the current top 25 pogeys on the main PO server, you can see some from every generation with only 8 of 25 being from Gen5. That's pretty solid.

Dream World pokemon certainly help with this, since it powers up older pogeys with new abilities. For instance, Blaziken is fourth on the tier list now thanks to his new Speed Boost ability from the dreamworld. The addition of new items, moves and move tutors in each generation really help with this as well. If you look at Scizor in Gen4. It was languishing in UU/BL for a while and then the new move tutor in Platinum came that gave it Bullet Punch and it instantly became one of the top pogeys in OU.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I do feel like Gamfreak has kept older Pokemon relavent, but I do feel like my team has too many 5th gen pokemon on it (5). 5th gen is good, but I am sure old classics will reemerge soon.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
Cloyster, Alakazam, Venusaur, Venomoth, Ninetales, Shuckle, Tyranitar, Dragonite, and countless others disagree.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I do think older pokémon (namely gen 1/2) have much less focused stat distributions due to the mechanics back then being a lot different.

Still, Game Fresk has done a decent enough job of keeping pokémon relevant. Sure some have fallen from grace, but some have rocketed up the tiers.

Honestly, I'm just thrilled that Espeon has received such an amazing buff. :3

M.K

Level 55
The only reason why older Pokemon seem weaker is that the weaker old Pokemon are constantly being "revamped" in newer generations (Walrein = Better Dewgong, Reuniclus = Better Alakazam, Stunfisk = better dunsparce [lol])and the old Pokemon are JUST as prominent, making them "stale".

It's just the hype of the new Gen. They thought Rhyperior would go straight to Ubers with those stats, it didn't do anything like that.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Cloyster, Alakazam, Venusaur, Venomoth, Ninetales, Shuckle, Tyranitar, Dragonite, and countless others disagree.

Infact Gengar is so stunning that he's been the greatest lead I've come across for my playstyle.

Older Pokes can fight just as well as the newer ones, GF see's to that. Just one or two simple changes (like a new ability or a useful move) can dramatically change a Pokemon. Just look at Ditto, Espeon and Politoad.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm also sure Game Freak hates fire types with a vengeance.

They gave Flareon a massive attack base stat of 130 when fire was a special type. Then with the special split they made its spD instead of spA 110. Then with the physical/special split, they just sat there, laughed, and refused to give Flareon Flare Blitz.

Take a look at Entei, Arcanine, blah blah

At least they try with Charizard somewhat, and is it just me or do the worst looking fire pokémon get epic stats? Infernape is a monkey >__>, Blaziken is well... a giant chicken, Chandelure, the pokémon with the highest non legendary spA... is a floating chandelier. So we have great dragons, psychics with IQs of over 5000, and all sorts of powerful looking creatures, and a floating chandelier has the highest spA of all of them.

:/

They also invented Stealth Rock.

Okay I'm sort of done

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
I'm also sure Game Freak hates fire types with a vengeance.
They gave Flareon a massive attack base stat of 130 when fire was a special type. Then with the special split they made its spD instead of spA 110. Then with the physical/special split, they just sat there, laughed, and refused to give Flareon Flare Blitz.
In 1st gen, they hated grass types so much, of the starters, Bulbasaur was the least chosen. Why? Because Venusaur is the weakest, not necessarily stat-wise but move-wise for stab moves, he got

razor leaf- 55 power, pretty weak when compared to surf/flamethrower.

Petal dance- 70 power, locks you into it. They might as well call the move "Free Charizard switch in, and let him Fire Blast"

Solarbeam- 120 power, has a charge turn, does roughly the same damage as two razor leaves. Your solarbeam will most likely hit a pokemon you don't want to hit.

Also, water types got ice beam, so any grass type that switches in to "counter" the water type will hit by an ice beam if the water type predicts right. Tons of thing 4x resist grass moves, and since most grass types were also poison types, they lose their ground resistance and got an unfortunate psychic weakness.

JOE!

Smash Hero
that's unfortunately been the case for grass types throughout all the games (the fact that all waters get ice moves)

It also doesn't hurt that water and grass have essentially the same SE coverage except that Water hits Fire and Grass hits Water (both hit rock and ground), while grass is then resisted by a LOT more stuff than water...

on a semi-related note, why isnt poison good against water like it is with grass? Water pollution anyone?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Take a look at Entei, Arcanine, blah blah

Arcanine got Close Combat and Wild Bolt. Fire types got Ninetales' Drought. Have you ever seen Darmanitan Flare Blitz under Sun? That thing can bloody 2HKO Jellicent or something.

Most poisons are dissolved in water - that's why it becomes unsafe to drink, etc, but ultimately water itself is unaffected. Grass, on the other hand, dies to types of poison.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
But water types are sea/river/lake creatures, which dies when the water they live in is tainted.

About Entei, after I got the Hone claws TM, I tried to teach it to him, he can't learn it. He's a legendary dog, and yet he can't learn it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
What's Entei using Hone Claws for...

Even ignoring that, as if not just use Swagger + Psych Up :awesome:

Boost that Flare Blit....oh wait...have fun with moves like GIGA IMPACT and BULLDOZE

I think he gets Stone Edge.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
He gets Iron Head, isn't a terrible move for hitting Rock-types, flinch rate is a nice bonus.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I somewhat disagree with your friend although some Pokemon have fallen from grace, which is naturally going to happen as more Pokemon are added, many have risen and are annoying *** punks to deal with now.

ParaShuffle Dragonite, Shell Smash Cloyster, Eccentric Ditto, and Evolite Chansey are some of the biggest threats in Gen 5.

And during Gen 4, Gengar, Gyrados, Zapdos, Machamp, Starmie, Snorlax, Aerodactyl, and Vaporeon were all very common in the OU metagame.

I just named 12 Gen 1 Pokmeon off of the top of my head... I'm sure there are a few others but you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom