• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you ever have the feeling these games cheat sometimes?

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I was playing Pearl today; it was the Wi-Fi mode at the Battle tower, battle room 1.

You battle trainers from around the world who have uploaded their teams for others to battle. The goal is to defeat 4 in a row.

Well it was my 4th trainer and we both had 1 pokemon left: I had Poliwrath and he had Latios. My Poliwrath has a good nature for Sp.Atk and was EV trained in Sp. Atk as well, so I knew 1 hit from Blizzard would KO Latios. I gave Poliwrath a Wide Lens, which boosted Blizzard's accuracy from 70% to 80%.

Turn 1: Blizzard misses, Latios uses some Dragon move. (Dragon Claw, I think.) Takes away about half my HP.

Turn 2: Blizzard misses, Latios uses the Dragon move again. I thought I was done for, but then I still had 6 HP left! I had one more chance!

Turn 3: ...Blizzard misses again. Latios finishes me off, and I lose.

It wasn't just this battle, either. Poliwrath's moves, all with 80% accuracy, seem like they hit half the time. I've had moves with 95% accuracy miss twice in a row. I remember in Pokemon Stadium, Raichu's Thunder attack missed 6 times in a row on one opponent while the opponent's Fissure hit pretty regularily.

It's mostly cheapness in the accuracy of my moves, but sometimes moves like Flamethrower give status ailments at a much higher rate than they're supposed to. I like the Pokemon games, but sometimes the computer opponents just seem stacked. Agree?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe you just should have taught him Ice beam...

I don't use Blizzard unless it's hailing because I don't want to risk it missing, which caused me a lot of problems in generation 1.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you just should have taught him Ice beam...

I don't use Blizzard unless it's hailing because I don't want to risk it missing, which caused me a lot of problems in generation 1.
Well yeah, that's my fault. But still... after using Blizzard 8 times total against that Latios in multiple battles, I've hit once. That's a .125 hit rate. Much lower than 80%.

M.K

Level 55
Yeah, the game does cheat. Or, it gives you almost unwinnable odds sometimes.
After slaving my way through 21 wins at the Battle Factory with an Xatu, Hitmonchan, and Crocanaw, the Frontier Brain had Salamence and Metagross. I didn't even see the last Pokemon T_T.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well yeah, that's my fault. But still... after using Blizzard 8 times total against that Latios in multiple battles, I've hit once. That's a .125 hit rate. Much lower that 80%.
Interestingly, I risked having Fire Blast on my Heatran for the first time since Generation 1 and have had no problem with it.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Try this Pt battle factory I have Salamence Breloom And Golem. I felt confident. His first poke was Rhydon with quick claw. 3 horn drills in a row hit with quick claw activiating. I just gave up on it after that

supermarth64

Smash Ace
No seriously, anything happens.

Some guy on Smogon had a Garchomp vs Weavile with sandstorm up. Ice Shard missed.

Then again, double Quick Claw Horn Drill/Sheer Cold/etc makes up for that.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Interestingly, I risked having Fire Blast on my Heatran for the first time since Generation 1 and have had no problem with it.
Good fortune, I guess. I'm not always plagued by these problems, just in the battles that are actually challenging, ha ha.

Try this Pt battle factory I have Salamence Breloom And Golem. I felt confident. His first poke was Rhydon with quick claw. 3 horn drills in a row hit with quick claw activiating. I just gave up on it after that
Wow.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
No seriously, anything happens.

Some guy on Smogon had a Garchomp vs Weavile with sandstorm up. Ice Shard missed.

Then again, double Quick Claw Horn Drill/Sheer Cold/etc makes up for that.
Speaking of this, Smeargle is quite possibly the best in-game one man team. Lock-On + OHKO move.

Mewter

Smash Master
The Battle Tower in Diamond. I went there with my team and survived about 67 or so battles, then died because a Tyranitar killed my only remaining pokemon, Alakazam. Somehow, though, it survived my Gengar and Jolteon as well.

Why does this thread seem like it's pulling everyone from the Pokemon Center here like flies? :laugh:

WouW

Smash Lord
2,7% chance. Not nearly as much hax as Umbreons toxicstalling with BrightPowder without even being hit, three successful Quick Claw Horn Drills in a row or a factory head with both Latias and Latios who have 50% crit rates.

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
The opponent's Dewgong used up Sheer Cold fully, killing off 5/6 of my team like nothing. Only Garchomp and Electivire could outspeed it, but both of their attacks (Stone Edge and ThunderPunch respectively) missed. My Weavile destroyed it with a Brick Break with no problem, but still, what ****ing luck. >_>

Piety the Diety

Smash Apprentice
OMGZ YES. once at my friend's house I found a shiny zubat, but I was with mira, so I couldn't catch it until the other pokemon was killed, so I killed the other pokemon, so mira had to attack the zubat, and she got a critical hit and the shiny zubat fainted.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
pokemon stadium 2= Uber hax :urg:

my feraligatr missed hydro pump 5 TIMES in a row, against a scarmory :mad:
it hadnt even raised evasiveness or lowered my accuracy!!
needless to say he died :(

day-day

Smash Ace
pokemon stadium 2= Uber hax :urg:

my feraligatr missed hydro pump 5 TIMES in a row, against a scarmory :mad:
it hadnt even raised evasiveness or lowered my accuracy!!
needless to say he died :(
Oh yea, don't you just hate it when you have a 90-100% accuracy move and it missed about 5 times in a row? Makes you want to turn the game off lol

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I hate the Battle Frontier so much. Sometimes it's like they read your team and use a bunch of pokemon with type advantages over yours. I had Jolteon, Gyarados, and Infernape once. The other person had Garchomp, Flygon, and Starmie with Hydro Pump/Thunder/Psychic. >_> Garchomp had Focus Sash, so he killed my Jolteon. The only one capable of killing Starmie.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
I've heard a story from someone about how a Battle Tower Wartortle held onto its Focus Band five times. FIVE. FREAKIN'. TIMES.

Personally, I've been boned by a Restalk Dewgong with Horn Drill and Sheer Cold for the other moves once...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Oh goody! A hax thread! Probability really does suck sometimes... Ever consider using Scarfloom to just spore their entire team to sleep? Sure, it's abusing the non-existent sleep clause in the battle tower, but still. I've only had problems against a brightpowder Dusclops with curse, restalk, and toxic and random dudes holding lum berry. Though, I usually still won out against the lum berry pokes.

I'm not saying hax is avoidable. Hax reeeeallly sucks. :(

Kochiha Ichihara

Smash Apprentice
This Alakazam of mine routinely gets 2-3 crits in a row; Metagross has had a string of 5 before. Neither of them utilize any crit chance enhancing items.
Not all hax is bad for you.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
One time, I was battling a magneton and a machamp with Darkrai (got him through the wifi event). So I use hypnosis on magneton falls asleep, next turn I use nightmare but then it immediatly wakes up! I repeat this for 3 turns until I decde to kill it. Then Machamp comes I miss hypnosis 3 times in a row but luckily he misses too. I finally hit and he fell asleep but then it immediatly wakes up too imediatly using cross chop critcal.

M.K

Level 55
One time, I was battling a magneton and a machamp with Darkrai (got him through the wifi event). So I use hypnosis on magneton falls asleep, next turn I use nightmare but then it immediatly wakes up! I repeat this for 3 turns until I decde to kill it. Then Machamp comes I miss hypnosis 3 times in a row but luckily he misses too. I finally hit and he fell asleep but then it immediatly wakes up too imediatly using cross chop critcal.
Too bad the Machamp didn't have No Guard O__O You probably would have won if you were faster or the Machamp stayed asleep.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I have a Drapion that revolves around critical hits - high crit rate moves + Scope Lens + Sniper = 25% critical hit rate.

I recall one time on PBR Wi-Fi where he survived the entire battle, but went through never ever getting a critical until the opponent's Pokemon was literally like one hit away from fainting, where of course I didn't need it. I don't think I've ever seen him get a crit on a full-health Pokemon, for that matter, despite being able to likely OHKO most Pokemon he comes across.

Mewter

Smash Master
This may not be relevant to Pokemon, specifically, but it's about cheating games.

Anyways, I was playing Mario Party 4 earlier today with my friends (20 turns), and I ended up with 3 stars and over 140 coins with both my friends and the computer only having no stars and about 120 coins altogether.
The scary thing was, whenever I needed to get to a star
(we were playing on the beach-like stage)
, I would always pass through the 50-50 path
(for those of you who don't know, there are points where you randomly go one way or another)
and somehow end up on exactly the right path, while my friends would always be forced to head in the opposite direction. :chuckle:
Also, in those minigames of chance, one of them would always lose. :laugh:

Oh yeah.

trumpet210

Smash Rookie
Sometimes it feels like the cpu's of the original r/b/y versions cheat. If they're confused, they keep on attacking. If you're confused? "charizard hurt himself in it's confusion" x5. Meh, I know it's probably just bad luck, but it still sucks sometimes.

Sometimes it feels like the cpu's of the original r/b/y versions cheat. If they're confused, they keep on attacking. If you're confused? "charizard hurt himself in it's confusion" x5. Meh, I know it's probably just bad luck, but it still sucks sometimes.
I find that always happens to me as well. My Pokemon always hurt themselves and yet the CPU Pokemonn are constantly attacking. It is quite unfair.
Also, a CPU Elite Four Drake used 3 Full Restores on his Pokemon before I beat him.

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
Togekiss uses AncientPower twice in a row while confused and paralyzed and manages to get the boosts from both.
Got on my nerves.

Top Bottom