• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you consider yourself good?

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
reading how everyone feels about their melee skills is pretty funny xD

Bout myself. I like to think that i got really good compared to a few years ago by playing against the best.
If you look at it like that I would say , yes im pretty good =)

I remember getting 4 stocked and jv4stocked by Remen my first tournament in 06 <3

Bing

Smash Master
It Depends on how you're defining good.
I got 4 stock my two friends at once who dont play smash.
But I generally lose at tournament - I just won my first set at my last tournament, but im getting close to winning all the time(my whole pool was 2-1 final stock each match)

So I would side with okay, but improving

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
My tech skill is atrocious, and I lack quite a bit of game knowledge. My ability to read my opponent and come up with strategies are above average. Overall I'm pretty bad. Placed near the middle at pretty much every tournament I entered.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
nah i ain't good. it's tough to improve when everyone you could possibly play is either a lot worse than you or a lot better. i need someone with a smaller skill gap to practice with :/

Chrysmos

Smash Rookie
nah i ain't good. it's tough to improve when everyone you could possibly play is either a lot worse than you or a lot better. i need someone with a smaller skill gap to practice with :/
If you can't find anyone within your level than go and compete with those better than you. When I first got Melee the only person I had to practice against was someone who had 2 more years of experience with the game than I did. I lucked out since it felt similar to the Nintendo 64 version, but he had already mastered all the advanced mechanics of the game except for shffls. At the time I didn't even know what a wavedash was. Now in our small group of friends I am tied for first place with the guy I just mentioned. (BTW I actually got Brawl before Melee, but I loved this game so much I had to get it.)

~XP~

Smash Apprentice
God awful at this game. I can't even use wavedashing properly. ._. Like, I know how to do it, but don't know how to use it.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
If you can't find anyone within your level than go and compete with those better than you. When I first got Melee the only person I had to practice against was someone who had 2 more years of experience with the game than I did. I lucked out since it felt similar to the Nintendo 64 version, but he had already mastered all the advanced mechanics of the game except for shffls. At the time I didn't even know what a wavedash was. Now in our small group of friends I am tied for first place with the guy I just mentioned. (BTW I actually got Brawl before Melee, but I loved this game so much I had to get it.)
i still play with the ppl that destroy me as often as i can. getting owned by someone who can't SHFFL because you're just starting to learn the game and getting totally smoked by a top-10 in your region are 2 very different things ;)

it really helps to ask for input from people who are better than you and analyzing footage of yourself to look for silly patterns is probably the best way to improve for someone in my situation. and after matches you really need to think about what sorts of things you could have done better and how to improve them.

AXE 09

Smash Master
No.

I am bad.

If you lose to me, then you are also bad.
I'm freakin horrible lol

no offense, but playing only 2-3 people will never get you to a point where you are pretty decent.
i thought i was pretty decent, i went to a tournament, i got ***** hard. to be decent at melee you need to play a large pool of people.
TBH I disagree with this.

Pi

Smash Hero
^playing the same people can work if you're all good players and are constantly adapting, sharing ideas, and helping each other improve by sharing knowledge of the game

playing the same people won't work if your focus is just trying to beat each other, and besides who cares if you can beat each other if you still suck, i adopted that mentality a while ago, constant state of humbled Zzzz

Wake

Smash Master
ha If Axe is "freakin horrible," then I can't imagine myself hahaha (Though I can say that I'm pretty good for my state haha)

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I'm definitely good in the area I'm in, but as a whole, I'm just average. *needs a bigger smash scene*

God how I wish I was better... :'(

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I got into brackets at my first tournament (not too long ago), so I'm a bit better than I thought I was. I still suck though as I've only played for 1year.
:)

BEES

Smash Lord
I'm bad against humans. I never get to play anyone. I've stagnated for the past several months skill-wise, and I usually get 0-2'ed in tournaments.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I never think about it. I get a lot of compliments and get asked if I've played in tournaments. Even now I haven't been able to join because work eats up any possible free time then college.

:phone:

Orko

Smash Apprentice
You have a Puppetmon avatar.
You immediately get to Top 5 Pound finals with a Puppetmon avatar.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I use to be pretty noobie until I discovered the amazing players Gainesville use to have: RockCrock, Harriettheguy, Renth, Apollo, Raistlin. I got a lot better after a year or so of training with them.

I'd say I'm at least medicore. Certainly not the 'masta' of this melee just yet.

Top Bottom