• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do the stages actually kill us, or is it our own fault?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Very bad analogy :p
The purpose of a solo is to have two people fighting each other at their full potential. No distractions. And especially not another player (Which according to you is like a stage with hazards.)
It all comes down to what I've been saying since the beginning.
Hazardes stages + solo = No no
Hazardes stages + Friendly= Fun and epic.
But at the end of the day, if you get counter picked to a stage like NOrfair, and the lava warns you as it comes, and you fail to dodge, it's your fault for dying.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Very bad analogy :p
The purpose of a solo is to have two people fighting each other at their full potential. No distractions. And especially not another player (Which according to you is like a stage with hazards.)
It all comes down to what I've been saying since the beginning.
Hazardes stages + solo = No no
Hazardes stages + Friendly= Fun and epic.
It takes more skill to play under fear of getting killed by the stage than it does to play on Final Destination every single time.
And playing at full potential? lolgrabs.

Edit: It also helps to counter-pick a stage you have an advantage on, like, maybe somewhere that your lolgrabs + comboes aren't valid. That makes a fair fight.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
But at the end of the day, if you get counter picked to a stage like NOrfair, and the lava warns you as it comes, and you fail to dodge, it's your fault for dying.
What if you get hit toward the lava lol?

What some people fail to realize when discussing this is that there is another human being in this match fighting against you. This person is fully aware of the hazards on a given stage and they will do everything in their power to knock you into them (or avoid getting knocked into them).

Some of it is human error on your part, but most of it is your opponent setting you up to get owned by the hazards. And every once in a while it is a hazard that behaves in such a way that you do not have sufficient time to react to it.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
What if you get hit toward the lava lol?

What some people fail to realize when discussing this is that there is another human being in this match fighting against you. This person is fully aware of the hazards on a given stage and they will do everything in their power to knock you into them (or avoid getting knocked into them).

Some of it is human error on your part, but most of it is your opponent setting you up to get owned by the hazards. And every once in a while it is a hazard that behaves in such a way that you do not have sufficient time to react to it.
You get thrown into the lava, it's your fault for getting grabbed. You and your opponent are both integrated into the stage, so you need to avoid being tossed to hazards. Sometimes, you should play defensively. Granted, we all have human error when we play, but Isai said "Don't get hit" (or grabbed) so try not to end up in the tossing situation.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
You get thrown into the lava, it's your fault for getting grabbed. You and your opponent are both integrated into the stage, so you need to avoid being tossed to hazards. Sometimes, you should play defensively. Granted, we all have human error when we play, but Isai said "Don't get hit" (or grabbed) so try not to end up in the tossing situation.
easier said than done, especially in Brawl.

unless you are DMG or something you're going to get hit. Saying it's your fault for getting grabbed is just silly. :colorful:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
easier said than done, especially in Brawl.

unless you are DMG or something you're going to get hit. Saying it's your fault for getting grabbed is just silly. :colorful:
Sounds silly, but if it leads to your downfall, it becomes true. We're all gonna get smashed off eventually, and the stage makes no diff. But if you get smashed into the stage, it's your error. and saying it's easier said then done implies the fact that it is possible. Sure, I have issues too. I still have error where I end up being knocked off the stage, but I work to improve it, because it's my error

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
hmm....

you are a casual smasher? Because don't get hit/grabbed/etc is impossible in a competitive enviroment. "Try not to get hit" actually makes sense, but you are still going to get hit anyway.

lol you created this thread for discussion but every time someone posts you reply with the same exact thing, no offense but it is obviously pointless to debate with you about it ;[

you are trolling us all D=

Pink murder

Smash Ace
It takes more skill to play under fear of getting killed by the stage than it does to play on Final Destination every single time.
And playing at full potential? lolgrabs.

Edit: It also helps to counter-pick a stage you have an advantage on, like, maybe somewhere that your lolgrabs + comboes aren't valid. That makes a fair fight.
Fear is a distraction! ^^
And im not saying to pick F.D all the time, just not stages with hazards in them.
Counter picking stages is an awsome idea. Just not ones with hazards.
And why is it not fair if i utilize the lolgrabs, i learned them for a reason :p.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
hmm....

you are a casual smasher? Because don't get hit/grabbed/etc is impossible in a competitive enviroment. "Try not to get hit" actually makes sense, but you are still going to get hit anyway.

lol you created this thread for discussion but every time someone posts you reply with the same exact thing, no offense but it is obviously pointless to debate with you about it ;[

you are trolling us all D=
Hardly trolling. I'm defending my point. And it's easy to reply with that since it applies to all the situations, and people keep bring up the same argument cause the reply is one side fits all. If you are knocked off from the stage, it is your fault. Not the stage's, yours.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
That may be true, but if the lava wasnt there to begin with, i might have not lost.
Also, dodgeing the lava isnt 100% sure, considering your opponent will constantly try to push/spike you to the hazards.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
That may be true, but if the lava wasnt there to begin with, i might have not lost.
Also, dodgeing the lava isnt 100% sure, considering your opponent will constantly try to push/spike you to the hazards.
Then don't let your opponent do that. It's a simple concept that's hard to play out, but very possible.And sure, the lava wasn't there, but when the wave comes down, you have a 10 second warning of "hey! You better air dodge me, or roll dodge me, or get in the safe house, etc.)

How can you people argue so long over something so stupid? This has to be the biggest waste of your lives EVER. None of this matters, because when your opponent beats you it's your fault for sucking.

Cinos_Gohegdeh

Smash Apprentice
heh heh. i can feel the energy in this forum.

i honestly think its both our fault and the level. u have to be skilled enough to avoid being caught in hazards as well as knowing u can get thrown in hazards. if anything, use hazards to your advantage. embrace it and make it usefull, and be aware of what could happen if u end up getting caught in one.

sometimes its an accident tho...

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
How can you people argue so long over something so stupid? This has to be the biggest waste of your lives EVER. None of this matters, because when your opponent beats you it's your fault for sucking.
Then stop trolling the topic kiddo. Go somewhere where your time can be spent better.

as for And that takes away from your concentration. :p it doesn't.
When you become good with a hazardous stage, the warnings won't bother you. as I said many times before, you become integrated with the stage, and a hazard won't distract, but will be noticed and avoided or used. It's a a dance, cheesy as it sounds

Pink murder

Smash Ace
...as for And that takes away from your concentration. :p it doesn't.
When you become good with a hazardous stage, the warnings won't bother you. as I said many times before, you become integrated with the stage, and a hazard won't distract, but will be noticed and avoided or used. It's a a dance, cheesy as it sounds
You made a good point. (Even though it doesnt apply to me.)
But that still says nothing about interrupting your combo or chain. The hazards will constantly interrupt.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
You made a good point. (Even though it doesnt apply to me.)
But that still says nothing about interrupting your combo or chain. The hazards will constantly interrupt.
You have to read the signs. Example: DDD trie to chain, but a missile apears on Picto. That's par of the stage, and DDD should stop. It's not FD, but something else, and DDD has warning to change plans. He may even be able to use the rocket to his advantage with a F throw

Pink murder

Smash Ace
You have to read the signs. Example: DDD trie to chain, but a missile apears on Picto. That's par of the stage, and DDD should stop. It's not FD, but something else, and DDD has warning to change plans. He may even be able to use the rocket to his advantage with a F throw
Exactly :chuckle:
He has to stop his chain, and think up of a whole new one because of
the stage

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Exactly :chuckle:
He has to stop his chain, and think up of a whole new one because of
the stage
But he read the warning and didn't get hurt. Going three chain grabs on a stage like that is similar to going 3 on a platform: it eventually will stop. But DDD adapted in this situation and didn't get blown because he read the stage and lived. He was part of the stage, and made a good decison. Thusly HE DIDN'T DIE! and in the long run, not dying is how you win.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
But he read the warning and didn't get hurt. Going three chain grabs on a stage like that is similar to going 3 on a platform: it eventually will stop. But DDD adapted in this situation and didn't get blown because he read the stage and lived. He was part of the stage, and made a good decison. Thusly HE DIDN'T DIE! and in the long run, not dying is how you win.
whats funny I did the opposite when it came to this situation

I'm not trolling...rather, I'm trying to get you all to quit wasting your own time and do something productive. :) Like learn your character better or learn more about CP'ing. Although that's really not very difficult to do in Brawl compared to Melee. In other words, argue in another thread more worthy of your time. This is the last post I make in here. But I may still continue to read, because it is very amusing to watch people battle it out over an argument that can only have one answer, although that answer is far too blunt and obtuse for me. Not to mention it's so self-degrading. I could argue in here all day about how a stage can kill you simply because those hazards exist on that particular stage. Can all stages kill you? No. Therefore, this argument has validity. Stages DO kill you. However, you could also say that it's your fault for being launched into said hazard, which is rather negative towards yourself in the long run. There is no counter-argument to such ice cold, merciless logic, so give it up. :) Like I said before, find another thread to argue in that will actually make you better at the game.

You guys are going WAY too deep for such a shallow and pedantic discussion. There is absolutely nothing arcane about this...it's black and white.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm not trolling...rather, I'm trying to get you all to quit wasting your own time and do something productive. :) Like learn your character better or learn more about CP'ing. Although that's really not very difficult to do in Brawl compared to Melee. In other words, argue in another thread more worthy of your time. This is the last post I make in here. But I may still continue to read, because it is very amusing to watch people battle it out over an argument that can only have one answer, although that answer is far too blunt and obtuse for me. Not to mention it's so self-degrading. I could argue in here all day about how a stage can kill you simply because those hazards exist on that particular stage. Can all stages kill you? No. Therefore, this argument has validity. Stages DO kill you. However, you could also say that it's your fault for being launched into said hazard, which is rather negative towards yourself in the long run. There is no counter-argument to such ice cold, merciless logic, so give it up. :) Like I said before, find another thread to argue in that will actually make you better at the game.

You guys are going WAY too deep for such a shallow and pedantic discussion. There is absolutely nothing arcane about this...it's black and white.
If people didn't find the topic worth discussing, they wouldn't be here, making it not pointless. Just because you do not find it of use, doesn't mean others won't. And another thing: This topic can help people get better. We've been discussing hazrds and ways to avoid them amongst the debate. So it can be useful. How about you look a few inches past your nose to see that kiddo.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285

\

Your talents could be put to better use elsewhere, this discussion has only continued because people keep coming back and making their arguments. We've went over everything, as far as I know, and it can easily just stop here. With a subject like this, there's no right answer, and always room for debate. But there's no reason to even argue any more, we've had an in-depth discussion on all subjects worthwhile. I have to agree about this board no longer serving any purpose, but you can't directly control what goes on. But I must agree on the last part of your moutain of text, this was only worth 2 pages of posts, if that.

Well played.

Cinos_Gohegdeh

Smash Apprentice
c'mon! stop arguing! any1 that wants to talk about levels and hazards stay. if not leave.

im sick of the arguing...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
c'mon! stop arguing! any1 that wants to talk about levels and hazards stay. if not leave.

im sick of the arguing...
Your input wasn't needed, but thanks for the spam anyway.
And I know, I'm not contributing anything by posting this, but I'm just angry grrrr. o:

Ok, I lied. I'm posting once more. :)

Talking about hazards is not productive. Don't try and tell me it is, because it's not. Everyone who plays this game obviously knows about the hazards. There is nothing new about them...they're there and everyone knows it. Everyone already knows how to avoid them and that it's not possible to avoid them every time. Old, old news. All you've managed to do is discuss no...pointlessly debate about whether or not they kill you or you kill yourself by getting hit by them. How is that helpful again? How does that help you get better? If you were discussing stages in general and what stages do well against others, then yea you might be beneficial to yourselves. But this? Quit kidding yourself.

I agree with the post above mine. I'm not contributing to this thread at all right now, but really, what's there to contribute to?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox

Talking about hazards is not productive.
Says you. It can be used to give advice to others about avoiding them. In my Picto chat topic, they discovered the safest place on the field to battle, which could be significant to people, so they know where to launch their opponents as well as staying away. Other things can be brought in about other stages.
and what's wrong with debate? we can debate stages. That's how they chose which stages would be under which list, right? arguing them further can open up more discussion on stage strategy. If you think the topic is pointless, go "use your time wisely to improve" elsewhere

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285

Talking about hazards is not productive. Don't try and tell me it is, because it's not. Everyone who plays this game obviously knows about the hazards. There is nothing new about them...they're there and everyone knows it. Everyone already knows how to avoid them and that it's not possible to avoid them every time. Old, old news. All you've managed to do is discuss no...pointlessly debate about whether or not they kill you or you kill yourself by getting hit by them. How is that helpful again? How does that help you get better? If you were discussing stages in general and what stages do well against others, then yea you might be beneficial to yourselves. But this? Quit kidding yourself.

I agree with the post above mine. I'm not contributing to this thread at all right now, but really, what's there to contribute to?
Contribute to the spam.
This thread became useless many pages ago, but I suppose it's a place-holder for the dead stages section of SWF.
It maybe had some use for any newcomers that needed some insight on the pitfalls of playing in banned stages, but with everything being discussed, a person could just go back a few pages and read the useless posts.

Pink murder

Smash Ace
But the point still stands, it still interupted his chain! Whether he got hurt or not! :p

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, some stages are trying to kill you, but I guess it's the way you look at it.

You could have avoided it, but than everything you do is your fault in the first place.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Well, some stages are trying to kill you, but I guess it's the way you look at it.

You could have avoided it, but than everything you do is your fault in the first place.

The only stages that try to kill you are Halberd (where the claw and laser chase you) and the fish on the banned IC stage. everything else send out things like lava that just go and can be avoided

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The only stages that try to kill you are Halberd (where the claw and laser chase you) and the fish on the banned IC stage. everything else send out things like lava that just go and can be avoided
New Pork City tries to kill you. Mario Bros. tries to kill you. Warioware tries to kill you.
Along with Corneria, Spear Pillar, and Mario Cicuit.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
New Pork City tries to kill you. Mario Bros. tries to kill you. Warioware tries to kill you.
Along with Corneria, Spear Pillar, and Mario Cicuit.
The robot on New Pork will only kill you if you go near it. It doesn't chase you. Same with the Marrio Br0. monsters and everything else.
Unlike those, Halberd actively chases you.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Ahh, but the edge isnt exactly a hazard is it ^^
Depends on how you look at it. No every character wants to fight off the edge. But that's not the point. This conversaton has strayed off topic. If The DDD were tho chain into a missile, and he died, it was his fault. Bottom line.

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
i think stages prevent ko's wayy more than they ko.

Like skyworlds floating platform and when someone has been rocketed one way and is bounced back by a hazard.

the edge is only a hazard when someone sux at recovering.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
i think stages prevent ko's wayy more than they ko.

Like skyworlds floating platform and when someone has been rocketed one way and is bounced back by a hazard.

the edge is only a hazard when someone sux at recovering.
Too true.
Ike, Lucas, and Ness have unfriendly relationships with that ledge.
Not to mention any victim of Falco's 0% chaingrab to spike, few people can recover from that.

Top Bottom