• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people truly care what tier their character is?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sorry to play the parrot but I don't care what tier my character is.

Brawl is overall more balanced then Melee so you should be fine on who you choose. Not to mention that unless you play tournaments, it generally wont matter.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I use Falcon, and love it, does it look like I care? Well, I also use Olimar... but.... nope, still don't care if theyre high or low, Diddy too.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't care what other people decide my character is in.

But if my character sucks, then yeah, I do care. Because then that affects me.

Colordeath

Smash Rookie
I don't really care about Tiers, i just play the char I like. For example, I am a really bad Meta-Knight-Player, so I won't choose him. My Main is Marth, then come Link and Wolf.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
I dont care,since I have all my mains set already.
But if I see Lucas(my main main) high tier,or high mid tier,I'll be like "Cool!"
But if Lucas ends up as barrel bottom tier,I wouldnt care,hes been working for me all tshi time.
Sides,people would underestimate a low tier character~

Shade487z

Smash Cadet
I've never cared about tiers. Why do you think I main Bowser? lol, seriously though, it feels really good to kick someone's butt with Bowser when they were expecting an easy win with their "high-tier God character against that sucky low-tier Bowser" attitude.

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Bleh. Never used tiers for choosing my main. Like ever. I fight for my fr--- I mean for characters I like.

I do look up tiers on occasion though to see how current meta games compare to each other.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I do, but it seems I'm so good with Sonic that I don't really care anymore. (Sonic is bottom tier guys, stop kidding yourselves.)

PCHU

Smash Lord
I don't know where Falco is, but he's cool anyway.
Wolf is amazing, and so is Fox.

I play Ness because he fits me well.
I mean, I just love taking a "sucky" character and kicking butt with it.
Ness has a ton of awesome tricks here and there, but I don't use them.
Why?
I have no need.
I destroy without them.
However, DK continues to be a pain for me. (fsmash gets you even after you roll away?!)

I didn't know Marth was high in the pre-tier list.
I used him before that, when everyone thought he sucked.

Ike......I think he's a beast regardless of anyone else's opinion.
I HOPE he turns out to be in the bottom tiers.
It'd give me reason to use him.

I recently picked up Olimar.
WICKED USMASH AND DSMASH, and they're quick.
I find he's perfect for annoying people.
Take someone who's a fastfaller, and chaingrab them.
I like Olimar now.
He just PWNs in almost every way (if he were only a little bit heavier :ohwell:).

Polar

Smash Rookie
I didnt even know what tier my character was until after I picked them
Same. Ever since my Kirby days of SSB64 I was maining Kirby. When King Dedede was introduced to Brawl, I became a fan of the heavier, stronger 'floaty' style character as opposed to the light and swift one.
The fact that Dedede is high(?) tier doesn't bother me much. I would've used him regardless, because I like his play style. Kirby is still one of my secondaries, and like Dedede, I don't care about his tier.

Devil7

Smash Journeyman
On the edge of Final Destination waiting to kill y
See heres the problem with smash boards that so many people are complaining about. The metagame hasn't fully evolved yet and thus the TIER LIST DOESN"T EXIST YET. It will in the future but it is not here yet. However people keep talking about how MK is top tier and falcon is bottom. While I don't disagree that MK is good or that falcon sucks you can't go around asking "hey do you like were your character sits on the tier list that doesn't exist yet?" When the metagame evolves and the tier list comes out then you can all $%&#@ and moan about how much "tires don exits".

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
just you wait till a official tier list comes out. some/most people will be using whoever is on the top of the list. my only hope is that falcon will be on the top. because he is number 1.
I know...as if 95% of tourney characters being mk was bad enough >.>

I dont base my character selection of tier list, but I do feel acomplished when I **** a snake with shiek ^^

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Tiers are relevant if two people are of the same or similar skill level, at which point each character's unique advantages and disadvantages play a major part in the match...

However, if one person is far more skilled than the other, any tier list is irrelevant, as the more skillful player is more likely to win.

This is why Taj's Mewtwo was so awesome :D

Anywho, I don't care what tiers my favorite characters are in (Ganondorf, Dedede, Zelda/Sheik, Captain Falcon). If I'm good enough, it won't matter.

RixMaadi

Smash Cadet
I don't let tiers affect my decision on who I play as, but it's annoying to hear "Why are you using so and so? They're low tier and they suck." Then I procede to beat them. :p

I think it's a big psychological factor to many people who don't fully know what tiers represent, as seeing a character that's classified as a lower tier puts them on a mindset to underestimate fighting against them.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Yes, it matters. I'd like to main a mid tier character so others can't say your character is too good. Or so they john/sandbag if I play a low tier. Unfortunately Samus is... yeah, bottom tier.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
I main Link, who is always shunned into low tier or below, but i wish he could be in the upper half of the tier list. Preferably, i'd like if he was upper-mid or lower-high. Of course i'll main Link as i've always have since the N64.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
I mean its not that people will base their choices on it(well at least they shouldn't) but i mean it is a interesting way to group all the characters its something to look at say "wow i didn't know that" but it not something to get worked up about on either side not the I don't care side or the this is the most important thing in the world side

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I enjoy playing as marth and he's a cool character. Even if he was the worst character in the game I'd still play as him.
It's interesting to say this, but I have to remark that it's logically impossible that Marth could be the worst character in the game - he couldn't even be bad unless he was given exorbitantly weak moves.

But still, any universe where has the sword and some characters don't, and if we assume he has at least one of his current aerial speed or attack speed, he will be competent. If he didn't have these, we wouldn't have Marth.

Anyway, to the thread topic - I do care what tier my character is. More than anything the fact that Zelda and Toon Link are regarded as mid-low tier makes me want to use them. I know they're better. Not hugely better and still, in all fairness, worse than G&W. But maybe they're on par with Dedede. Except for his infinites (:chuckle:).
If Zelda and Toon Link actually were, and placed like they were, much better than they are now - Zelda in high, Toon Link in high-mid - I would have no interest in using them (Zelda for fun maybe). My interest is in finding something they have that I think is hard to see, and is being overlooked.
(I suppose one other relevant point is that I am avoiding Sheik 50% because I hate Sheik, and 50% because Sheik sucks anyway).

But Zelda and Toon aren't my mains. I main Ness and Samus because I like them. Samus being low tier is not a consideration. The infinite release grab on Ness was a kick in the shin, 'cause he was looking good - but I still use him. I will freely and unhesitatingly blind pick the kid, now, after a month's self-denial about it (I thought I'd main Samus).

Ganon and Link I similarly don't care. I'd use them no matter what. As a sort of middle ground of the other two cases, their low tier placement makes using them more enjoyable - I mean, jokes about Ganon's manliness and pure badassness just wouldn't work if he was actually a privileged character. Plus for both, as said by others, there's the advantage of being underestimated by some.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I sure as heck do care. Mewtwo being bottom killed his popularity and got him cut from melee. In Brawl, my old main, Ganondorf, got nerfed to hell, and Dedede was superior to him in every way. I can't win in competetive play with Ganondorf any more, and am now forced to use Dedede.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Tiers matter to tournament regulars and otherwise competitive players. They were never intended for use by casual players in the first place
At the casual level, few players really play enough or devote themselves enough to bring out the greatest potential of their characters. Thus tier rankings don't really apply there.

If you're planning to take part in the competitive circuit, it is important to know where your character stands with respect to the other characters being widely used. If you want to win with the least possible effort (like most people), you pick a good character like MK. If you want to use someone you like, it is good to know at least how much work you'll have to put in to compete effectively against higher tier characters. That's what the tier list is for.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Most low tiers are just underused. High tiers are just the most used characters, and new people or people looking for a main will most likely go for a high tier to give them an advantage. many just use them because they want to win (not everyone, though. If you picked MK or snake just cos you like their playstyle or games, You're all good). Point is, low tiers will most likely stay low and high will stay high.

Btw for me I just pick who is fun. Tiers don't matter much. I'll go to a tourny as Lucas.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
When I decided to go with a new main for Brawl I looked to make sure;

1. They were in all 3 titles
2. They were from a series that I liked
3. They were fast (becuase I'm used to Melee Fox)

And I got Captain Falcon. I didn't look at noob menus- er I mean tier lists.

Top Bottom