• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Not Upgrade Your Wii Through Nintendo Ever

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Welcome to Alex makes a lot of threads thread, except this is necessary.

dhewg said:
bushing said:
The [boot 2 update] code [from Ninty] is so buggy that we decided to write our own for the HackMii installer.
It’s really sad, but that wasn’t exaggerated at all. The first reports about bricks due to this official boot2 update are reported on Nintendo’s forums. Replies, which Ninty doesn’t like, are getting deleted. Anyway, it’s up to you if you want to risk it.
In short, don't update through Nintendo. Many people are having bricked Wii's as a result, do not update your Wii through Nintendo. Use the patch install methods for all the IOS's and channels and then install the System Menu wad. I can't give any of this to you but use the NUS Downloader.

In addition, you won't get a boot2v4 Wii.

Updating isn't recommended but if you do, your Wii may suffer from something we like to call in the business Pet brick syndrome.

Here's why:

www.petbrick.com

Here's more information:
http://kotaku.com/5372065/wii-update-42-is-killing-wiis-dead

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
lol pet brick xD. so if you dont update through nintendo, your wii wont get bricked? o_o

Kantō

Smash Champion
i didnt update mine cuz i will erase my homebrew channel most likely. its all good, my iphone hasnt been upgraded since 2.2 version and its still better than the newer versions cuz its jailbroken.

although i cant go onto the wii shop channel!!!!!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
"Triangle" = my version of 10chars

WiiSCU is a Shop Channel Updater, I can't link you to it so you're on your own

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
It's ironic, Nintento making this update actually encourages people to go online and find other ways to update their Wii and find out more about homebrew, exactly what they tried to prevent while destroying innocent Kids Wii's lol MAJOR FAIL

Nintendo is seriously starting to piss me off

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
We cracked it within twenty-fours yet innocent kids won't be able to play while we're able to enjoy hacked versions... Wow, Nintendo got too hasty and didn't think it through... EPIC FAIL

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
What Nintendo needs to do is make auto-updating. They won't get the job done unless they buff up their mediocre security...

Better yet, make it so people need the lastest update to play online.:)

I don't mind offline hacking one bit, but online hacking is ridiculous.

SonicChrono

Smash Cadet
Well, since I updated my Wii to 4.2 by mistake, I ain't never updating anymore and deny future system update messages for good. This is my final update and I ain't having my Wii bricked sooner or later. And I just got the HBC back with the StackSmash Method just to play Brawl+ again. Wii-Connect24 is off.

Sorry, Ninty. I refuse to get your future updates to the system....

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
you technically never needed to update your wii in the first place. HBC covers any new contents your wii might need to play newer games.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
True, but often new features like the 4.0 update are quite useful. If they get a DVD channel, it could definitely have more efficient playback than MPlayer CE so I would be interested....

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Can I just stay at my 4.1?
Do I even have to install new Bootmii/Homebrew Channel?

I can already add custom channels using the You know what by Wakinoko.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
Nah that could be very hard to do. Remember, it would be a part of the IOS that would do it, and the IOS can always be edited.
Yeah.
It's not that hard to do.
PSP games do it.

And anyhow, I don't think we should even ever upgrade from Nintendo.
They might do some behind the scenes actions that no official changelog lists.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah.
It's not that hard to do.
PSP games do it.

And anyhow, I don't think we should even ever upgrade from Nintendo.
They might do some behind the scenes actions that no official changelog lists.
Wii has a much different operating system than most game systems. Seriously. Just because the PSP does it means jack ****.

camelot

Smash Ace
I've used 3.4u since last year, which is when I got the homebrew channel. I haven't kept up with any of Nintendo's updates since then... and I don't think I want to. :laugh:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It shouldn't be. I'm not sure.

I'm on 4.0 and happy.. Even after being on 3.2 and avoiding 4.0 for the longest time.

It would have been nice if they bothered actually ADDING a feature to 4.2 though. They claimed to have "Improved overall performance," but does anybody see that?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
It shouldn't be. I'm not sure.

I'm on 4.0 and happy.. Even after being on 3.2 and avoiding 4.0 for the longest time.

It would have been nice if they bothered actually ADDING a feature to 4.2 though. They claimed to have "Improved overall performance," but does anybody see that?
They do, a new IOS fixes a respawning glitch in Conduit online, that is all.

Anyway, you can still get 4.0U updates from the NUS Downloader and use a WAD Manager to install them. It works pretty **** well trust me. Or use Dop IOS v8, thats my recommendation.

Top Bottom