• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do any pros use X to jump?

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
Do any nationally ranked players use X to jump?

I currently use X to jump with my Jiggly and I can't break the habit. The problem is that when I want to mess around with other characters, like Fox and his waveshining, I need to use Y to jump and it's confusing going back and forth.

Is it just something I need to force myself to do?

I usually just play this game for fun with my brother so I may never adapt but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Darkrain uses the ****ing control stick to short hop, you can use X. About half the population uses X, there's no real difference in functionality.

Beat!

Smash Master
IIRC, M2K uses X.

If you're using X with your main and it doesn't give you any issues with execution-based stuff then there's no reason to switch. The supposed superiority of Y is massively overstated.

swanized

Smash Cadet
IIRC, M2K uses X.

If you're using X with your main and it doesn't give you any issues with execution-based stuff then there's no reason to switch. The supposed superiority of Y is massively overstated.
M2K uses claw though

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'm probably not relevant to the metagame anymore but I use X mostly and learned everything with X. I use Y when I claw most of the time though.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Ideally, you should learn to jump in a variety of ways, like c-stick to jump for shine OoS on Fox, control stick to jump for any character's up-B OoS, Y for multishining, but there's nothing wrong with using X as your standard/default jumping button.

Bones0

Smash Legend
X is just as good as Y for everything except fox's multishine. Even with that in mind fox's multishine is completely doable with X. There's no real need to switch.
Shine OoS is pretty hard with X because if you hit A by accident you will shield grab. It can also make lasering in certain situations really difficult.

Ideally, you should learn to jump in a variety of ways, like c-stick to jump for shine OoS on Fox, control stick to jump for any character's up-B OoS, Y for multishining, but there's nothing wrong with using X as your standard/default jumping button.
Buffering jumps to shine OoS doesn't help, just fyi. You're still going to shine at the same timing so all you are doing is exposing yourself for a longer period of time before the shine.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I use X for everything, sometimes i'll use up on the joystick for Shine OoS / double lasering with Fox.

Bones is right that you'll sometimes his the A button, but it hasn't happened to me in a long time.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
Different characters require different inputs, if you can do everything you want to there's no reason you have to use one button over another. For example: Axe multishines with the control stick.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
Buffering jumps to shine OoS doesn't help, just fyi. You're still going to shine at the same timing so all you are doing is exposing yourself for a longer period of time before the shine.
I use the c-stick so I can shine within the three frames of jumpsquat because I use X to jump normally and I have trouble getting the small window with it, not for buffering purposes.

JKJ

Smash Ace
I short hop with Y, Full hop with the control stick, and wavedash with the control stick.
Anything is possible.

N`4

Smash Rookie
Not sure if it would be too necessary with anyone other than fox or falco for Shine OoS and Multishining. In response to using the C-Stick for shine OoS, while you can do that, its less consistent than learning how to jump with Y. If you're never planning on getting serious enough to really need to to those things though, it doesn't really matter.

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if it would be too necessary with anyone other than fox or falco for Shine OoS and Multishining. In response to using the C-Stick for shine OoS, while you can do that, its less consistent than learning how to jump with Y. If you're never planning on getting serious enough to really need to to those things though, it doesn't really matter.
What makes it "less consistent"?

N`4

Smash Rookie
What makes it "less consistent"?
I may have phrased that wrong. When you're practicing it solo you're going to get a bunch of up smashes if you hit it before your shield pops up. Other than that it's should be pretty much the same in an actual game unless you end up in a situation where you go to Shine OoS and your shield never comes up. In that rare instance, you'll get an upsmash instead of a shine.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
you play puff. Hbox jumps with tap jump lol.
do whatever is the most comfortable, it doesn't matter in the long run. there are a lot of technical things that are easier with different jump inputs (multishines/SHDLs and shine OoS with fox, for example), but in the end it's just comfort.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
It doesn't matter.

Like Sir Kaze I mostly use X, but for double shines I use Y and for SHDL I use the control stick. You shouldn't force yourself to switch buttons unless it makes it easier and more comfortable for you.

StickandFluid

Smash Apprentice
I started with X but then I tried Y and found it more useful but honestly considering the way some people play this game (like both hands hovering over the controller like it's a fighter pad or something) it really doesn't matter

WHA?

Smash Ace
it's all preference. rock crock and i both use analog to do everything.
can you do retreating aerials and approaching aerials?
because when i used to use control stick to jump while running, i would lose horizontal movement

I used to use control stick for all my jump stuff
since i could not WD just with control stick, then i use Y for WD
and since controlling horizontal momentum with the stick alone was a bit hard then i picked up X for short hops like if i want to use retreating aerials or better spacing in the air.

Melee is weird, ppl who dont use cstick surprise me and yet they get surprised when i use control stick to short hop

Riskbreaker

Smash Rookie
I use X to jump, SH, WD, etc.
Pretty much everything, but I don't exactly see how using Y would give anyone a significant advantage.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
can you do retreating aerials and approaching aerials?
because when i used to use control stick to jump while running, i would lose horizontal movement

I used to use control stick for all my jump stuff
since i could not WD just with control stick, then i use Y for WD
and since controlling horizontal momentum with the stick alone was a bit hard then i picked up X for short hops like if i want to use retreating aerials or better spacing in the air.

Melee is weird, ppl who dont use cstick surprise me and yet they get surprised when i use control stick to short hop
yeah of course lol, you just have to time it right. Using y/x is a lot easier for horizontal movement.

Whenever I use falco, I use y to jump for most things. I still double-shine/wavedash/waveshine with analog, though.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
I never use Y for anything. I do SHDL, aerials and upB OoS and ledgehops using tap-jump. X for everything else.
On a side note, I never use L either.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
IIRC, M2K uses X.

This is because most people use spacies, where moving from jump to B fast is very important.
Honestly though, with practice doing shine OoS with X is possible even with fox (slide over a and let go of the shield button during jumpsquat). With Falco, it's relatively easy.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
Honestly, if you really feel a temptation to switch, its really not that difficult. Nobody but yourself is saying that you can't get used to the new input and finger movement, it may be weird but with enough cpu practice its definitely possible for anyone.

Top Bottom