• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Being Chinese myself I find that the conservative media and the government of China especially have essentially backed themselves into a cultural corner.

peking_opera_long_shot.jpg

Chinese Opera Mei Lanfang

Basically they are erasing much of their own tradition in response to a perceived threat of counterculture that they themselves created in an attempt to make China more dominant in the west. It's a very strange dichotomy and it will undoubtedly lead to a stronger underground presence in terms of gaming culture and arts and literature becoming even more forced into subcultural havens.

But yeah on a lighter note

Dread is amazing! (back to running from emmi

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So here's a weird concept. I call it Super Smash Bros. Vengeance, and while it does involve cuts so it's not gonna fly to many in this post-Ultimate world it's just too funny to me for me not to share it.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." The theming is based around the idea of revenge. The main story is all about revenge, OC McBadGuy wants revenge on the Smash roster for whatever reason, Tabuu and Galeem and Dharkon return for a round 2, and so on and so forth. Character inclusions all relate to this idea.
  • Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow would all be included and get revenge on the first three Assist Trophy promotions by putting them back in the cage. Now I wouldn't say that necessarily requires Isabelle, Mac and Damus cut as they return to snowglobe hell but that's probably what would happen. Now it's all Waluigi's fault those three are trapped in as Isaac wouldn't want that and Shadow has his own business to attend to so it's more like Waluigi gets vengeance on three at once. (How does it feel to be an Assist Trophy again?)
  • Toad gets revenge on Peach, turning HER into the neutral special counter move. Her moveset survives via Daisy but Peach is outright cut. (How does it feel to just be a move?)
  • The Miis would get cut, and every character that had a Mii Costume would have an alt where they dress up like their respective Mii Fighter. Including any potential newcomers. (How does it feel to just be a costume?)
  • Ganondorf would get a unique moveset pretty much tailor made for him, and Captain Falcon would have his moveset changed to clone Ganondorf. (How does it feel to be the clone?)
  • We could even go for more esoteric versions of revenge.
    • Arle's been waiting close to 30 years to get revenge on Kirby: she's been there and done that with Eggman in Quest and now that puffball is her only arch-nemesis left.
    • Crash (and if possible, Kratos) would get included, but it's not HIM/THEM taking vengeance, it's Sonic for the PS1/PS2 combo killing SEGA as a console manufacturer (among other things but still).
    • Games with strong themes of vengeance and the cycle could be priority inclusions, such as Ellie, Niko Bellic, Ryu Hayabusa and more...
Now this is absolutely not what I'd expect from the next game. In fact it would be weird and confusing if this was due to it not really making any sense. I just had to share this weird thought I had. It would also be a radical direction shift (basically necessary for any Ultimate follow up IMO) and ripe for memes too. I wonder if there's any potential in this idea that I didn't think up...?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have completed Dread. Took me 10 hours on my first try, but I have done it.
And man, I'm all for the Chozo General, Raven Beak, they have so much potential as a Smash character. And they have enough tools to make them different from Samus. The E.M.M.I. moments were pretty good for the most part, although I hate that frickin' Purple E.M.M.I. so much. They have some good tools for a Smash character, but they do lack a move for recovery. They would need a original recovery move made for them. They would make a great enemy though. Last but not least, Man, I want that Endgame Power Suit so badly as an Alternate or Final Smash! It looks frickin' awesome!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I have completed Dread. Took me 10 hours on my first try, but I have done it.
And man, I'm all for the Chozo General, Raven Beak, they have so much potential as a Smash character. And they have enough tools to make them different from Samus. The E.M.M.I. moments were pretty good for the most part, although I hate that frickin' Purple E.M.M.I. so much. They have some good tools for a Smash character, but they do lack a move for recovery. They would need a original recovery move made for them. They would make a great enemy though. Last but not least, Man, I want that Endgame Power Suit so badly as an Alternate or Final Smash! It looks frickin' awesome!
bro we have a Social Thread that's perfect for content like this hop over and talk about whatever you want there
So here's a weird concept. I call it Super Smash Bros. Vengeance, and while it does involve cuts so it's not gonna fly to many in this post-Ultimate world it's just too funny to me for me not to share it.

"Revenge is a dish best served cold." The theming is based around the idea of revenge. The main story is all about revenge, OC McBadGuy wants revenge on the Smash roster for whatever reason, Tabuu and Galeem and Dharkon return for a round 2, and so on and so forth. Character inclusions all relate to this idea.
  • Waluigi, Isaac and Shadow would all be included and get revenge on the first three Assist Trophy promotions by putting them back in the cage. Now I wouldn't say that necessarily requires Isabelle, Mac and Damus cut as they return to snowglobe hell but that's probably what would happen. Now it's all Waluigi's fault those three are trapped in as Isaac wouldn't want that and Shadow has his own business to attend to so it's more like Waluigi gets vengeance on three at once. (How does it feel to be an Assist Trophy again?)
  • Toad gets revenge on Peach, turning HER into the neutral special counter move. Her moveset survives via Daisy but Peach is outright cut. (How does it feel to just be a move?)
  • The Miis would get cut, and every character that had a Mii Costume would have an alt where they dress up like their respective Mii Fighter. Including any potential newcomers. (How does it feel to just be a costume?)
  • Ganondorf would get a unique moveset pretty much tailor made for him, and Captain Falcon would have his moveset changed to clone Ganondorf. (How does it feel to be the clone?)
    • Arle's been waiting close to 30 years to get revenge on Kirby: she's been there and done that with Eggman in Quest and now that puffball is her only arch-nemesis left.
    • Crash (and if possible, Kratos) would get included, but it's not HIM/THEM taking vengeance, it's Sonic for the PS1/PS2 combo killing SEGA as a console manufacturer (among other things but still).
    • Games with strong themes of vengeance and the cycle could be priority inclusions, such as Ellie, Niko Bellic, Ryu Hayabusa and more...
Now this is absolutely not what I'd expect from the next game. In fact it would be weird and confusing if this was due to it not really making any sense. I just had to share this weird thought I had. It would also be a radical direction shift (basically necessary for any Ultimate follow up IMO) and ripe for memes too. I wonder if there's any potential in this idea that I didn't think up...?
While I respect the commitment to a central concept, a lot of these decisions are completely arbitrary and wouldn't go over well at all unless there were some way to fix things (like unlocking Isabelle, Little Mac, Dark Samus, and Peach through some story mode). Either way, good thing this isn't the case lol.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I can't believe I didn't mention Sandbag would absolutely be a newcomer with an items themed moveset!... since that's been done before but still!

Also if this were actually real Dark Samus/Isabelle/Little Mac/Peach would be played as "cut" during pre-release but would actually be hidden unlockable characters. No ****ing way Nintendo lets me cut Peach and Isabelle and the other two have no reason to go.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
epic.PNG On the switch 2 they should just rerelease the same game but with all the DLC and characters from Ultimate included. I think all they'd need to do is make a story mode with cutscenes and overhaul the game in general, there's no need for new characters. Just make what we already have better by adding fun multiplayer modes and putting in a story mode more akin to subspace emissary that could serve as its own game as is.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

The Grinch characters appear in a trailer trying to take out Incinerator. He manages to stop them... but gets shot by an arrow. DECIDUEYE TAKES ROOST!

Ivander

Smash Legend
bro we have a Social Thread that's perfect for content like this hop over and talk about whatever you want there
I guess, since DLC has ended and technically, so has character speculation. But I mean, we were discussing the potential characters for Smash when Dread had yet to come out and my post does involve talking about those characters' potential for the next Smash.......and I tend to be "Looks okay/Nope, not okay" when it comes to the Social sometimes.

I'll be honest. I can't wait for the next Smash to be announced and when I can actually talk about those characters regarding Smash.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
View attachment 333874 On the switch 2 they should just rerelease the same game but with all the DLC and characters from Ultimate included. I think all they'd need to do is make a story mode with cutscenes and overhaul the game in general, there's no need for new characters. Just make what we already have better by adding fun multiplayer modes and putting in a story mode more akin to subspace emissary that could serve as its own game as is.
I have so many questions about this.

Why did you base the box art off of Melee? Why is it the Gamecube 2 instead of a Super Switch or something of the like? Is this based on Melee, Ultimate, or Smash 4? Why is Marth on the box 4 times?

I get why Waluigi is X'd out but otherwise there's a lot going on with this picture.

Last edited:

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322

Why did you base the box art off of Melee? Why is it the Gamecube 2 instead of a Super Switch or something of the like? Is this based on Melee, Ultimate, or Smash 4? Why is Marth on the box 4 times?

I get why Waluigi is X'd out but otherwise there's a lot going on with this picture.
I found it after looking up Smash Brothers DX just out of curiosity, I have no clue of the original images relevance but I thought it was funny. I guess the game will include a lot of Fire Emblem characters : )

https://brady-bible.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee_Ultimate_DX_Special_Edition_4 This is where it was from, but it's mostly just a meme making fun of smash lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

You know exactly why Marth is on the box four times lol

osby

Smash Obsessed

Fire Emblem bad.

Now SMASH that like button and subscribe for more quality Smash and Nintendo content every week.

Zelda overworld theme metal cover outro

a.Asdsa

Smash Rookie
I just looked at Sora's Smash flash 2 moveset and his specials are the same as Smash Ultimate just with different characteristics.

It's interesting how fan movesets can sometimes get close to the real thing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just looked at Sora's Smash flash 2 moveset and his specials are the same as Smash Ultimate just with different characteristics.

But the only same special is Magic?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well fan moveset tend to draw directly from source material and Smash DLC characters have a particular eye for attention to the source material so it's inevitable that Fan movesets will hit the mark occasionally.

That being said, the differences here could also be chalked up from the coding not allowing for the more complex move-types introduced in late Smash4 and Ultimate, not to mention the focus mainly on KH2 while Smash focused mostly on KH1.

I also like the air-recovery being used as a literal recovery lol. I hope Sora's airdodge animation references that considering how many times KH players will see that animation.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I also like the air-recovery being used as a literal recovery lol. I hope Sora's airdodge animation references that considering how many times KH players will see that animation.
Given that Aerial Recovery was introduced in KH2 and Smash Sora is based on KH1...I wouldn't get my hopes up.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now i just imagined Sora's trailer but instead of Nintendo characters it's the nicktoon and instead of Sora it's Doug.
That's a fantastic idea for a ****post.

Maaan who ****in caaaaares what china thinks
People that want money?

Ah, paraphrasing. My mortal enemy.
What I meant was little visuals or such that can showcase exactly what your MW could bring to the table, like moves, stages, music, ad infinitum.
No. This is the extent of my effort.

1633853665223.png

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Wait, since Metroid Dread has a spirit event, does that mean we might still get event spirits for a little bit after Sora is out? I wouldn't mind tbh.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
You realize there was a little thing called COVID that happened, right?

We had a 6 month downtime due to that, if COVID never had happened, we'd have probably been done long before now, it's just, we had 6 months of nothing due to the virus.
It was planned and announced before COVID so you're wrong.
Yeah, plus there’s the fact that we’re lucky to have FP2 at all. Remember when some of us thought it’s be just the 6 we started out with?
We are lucky that Nintendo even bothered to do a second season. That's not a point in their favor or anything but it's progress.
You had a good point for like a few seconds and then descended into... whatever the rest of this is. Some kind of GameFAQs copypasta?
I didn't descend into anything. You attribute a "descension" to it because you don't like that I have negative opinions about Nintendofans. I have Nintendo consoles and play Nintendo games. I still don't consider myself that kind of typical Nintendofan that attaches a part of my personality to their products or the nostalgia for them. I also don't think of myself as super sensitive to criticism in general but when it comes to fans of Nintendo products and culture they really can't handle criticism (remember the reviewers that didn't give the top-shelf Nintendo games Odyssey and BOTW perfect scores?) which is shame because they engage in behavior that warrants it quite often.
Are you sure you're not overthinking this?
No. I'm correct and I haven't committed any significant time to thinking about it like you want to portray it as. These are my general opinions I've had for quite some time.
Every post Chuderz Chuderz has made is a mix of fair points and random jabs at "Nintendofans" while pushing some half baked narrative that smash fans are impossible to please. I don't actually get the vitriol it makes no sense. And posting it in this thread of all places likens it more to trolling than honest discussion.
Half-baked? I'm not pushing a narrative that Smash fans are impossible to please. I'm saying Nintendofans do that. Nintendofans scapegoat the Smash fandom all the time which is because it's the fandom that acts as an intersection between all toxic Nintendo fandoms. I'ms saying Nintendofans (and the cult of Sakurai) are the ones pretending like Smash was made in a sweatshop with supposedly impossible to please Smash fans being (again supposedly) disrespectful and ungrateful by berating them all the along the way. I'm absolutely sick of this portrayal by a large section of the community and I simply express this when relevant.
I was about to say - they're oddly committed to using "Nintendofans" over "Nintendo fans," "fanboys," or whatever. Glanced at their Posts page and it's clearly deliberate given how consistent it is. I'm unsure of what this is about.
This is an example of reading too much into things. If I put a space between the words doesn't detract from the fact that I'm using it to portray highly engaged fans of Nintendo products. They engage in a behavior that I call "toxic hospitality" by basically berating anybody that wants better games and more content from the company. You get called ungrateful, impossible to please, entitled, stupid and any other unflattering term by people expressing a supposedly deep concern for the well-being company, consumers and/or creators of said products.

It's not that shocking to have a negative opinion of Nintendo and their fans. I didn't step out of line in anything I said. I described what I feel like I've seen. If you've had a different experience in the community great but I haven't. Instead of curiosity you all got defensive about it and blamed me daring to think such negative thoughts about the precious Nintendo products. Whatever.

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
But...they still had to MAKE it during Covid...
Don't triple dot me. I think literally Sakurai himself has explained that DLC budget constantly shrinks as time goes forward which each and every additional character. Which equates to cuts in staff. Whatever Nintendo gavethem required the cut in DLC production.

Here it is though, the part when I'm super unreasonable. As if Nintendo doesn't have the money to retain the staff even offsite. DLC didn't become less profitable like Sakurai initially thought it would be (because of his experience with Smash 4's DLC on the failing Wii U) because it actually was one of Nintendo's most profitable items for sale. So no excuse. Not even COVID.

Yes, because DLC just magically spawns out of the aether.

You do realize that people have to, ya know, work on it, right? Japan wasn't prepared at all for the virus, it was ranked as one of the countries that handled the virus worst.
I'm done. Ooooooh I'm super ungrateful. You sure figured this one out for me Nintendofan. Again this was all planned before COVID. That means Nintendo planned for the cut in DLC production before COVID.

Anyways I quit. I know I won't be tolerated for long in this thread so I'm out. No more worries.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Don't triple dot me. I think literally Sakurai himself has explained that DLC budget constantly shrinks as time goes forward which each and every additional character. Which equates to cuts in staff. Whatever Nintendo games them required the cut in DLC production.

Here it is though, the part when I'm super unreasonable. As if Nintendo doesn't have the money to retain the staff even offsite. DLC didn't become less profitable like Sakurai initially thought it would be (because of his experience with Smash 4's DLC on the failing Wii U) because it actually was one of Nintendo's most profitable items for sale. So no excuse. Not even COVID.
Uh, yes excuse.

Have you ever worked a job and then be forced to all of a sudden just, start working from home? Especially a job where you're having to work with dozens of others on a single project?

It ain't just some "Ho hum let's do it!", it's legitimately hard, even for people who were prepared, which, Japan wasn't. Again, they handled the virus about as bad as America did.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm done. Ooooooh I'm super ungrateful. You sure figured this one out for me Nintendofan. Again this was all planned before COVID. That means Nintendo planned for the cut in DLC production before COVID.

Anyways I quit. I know I won't be tolerated for long in this thread so I'm out. No more worries.
1633860355342.png

Do you guys think the next game will focus more on DLC?

Ultimate was already a significant step up from Smash 4 in terms of post-launch support but if Smash 6 has a lot of cuts (which, let's be honest, it will), I can see Nintendo promising DLC veterans as a way to reassure fans.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Actually I'm not sure if they explained what's going on with Miko. I'm personally of mind that Shotoku chose to reincarnate as a girl, but I think it's left ambiguous on if that's the case or if Shotoku was always a girl and just got remembered as a guy over time. I think at one point we just had a scene of Sanae looking at a dollar with Shotoku on it and wondering where Miko's beard went or something.

Also, what was going on with Mike? Don't think I heard about it back then.
The thing with Mike is that she's a maneki-neko, and there's some belief around maneki-neko that the paw they raise signify their gender (on top of what they can bring to a business). And When they raise their right paw, like the paw Mike has up in her artwork, they're supposed to be male. So yeah, the fanbase was kinda freaking out about the possibility of a canon femboy in Touhou, though that was also mainly hapening on twitter iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom