• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Now that thinking about potential new final smashes for YL and Richter

my proposed YL new FS is Fierce Deity right, he takes out the Fierce Deity mask and becomes Fierce Deity Link but what all should he do in that final smash

also, Richter. Hydro Storm, it’s his thing. But in the CV games it’s essentially just a holy water rainstorm. How would one make it look Cool(TM) for Smash?
Make Hydro Storm the first move, the second one being the Iga style Grand Cross where it's one giant flaming cross, it'd be neat if whatever background they got sent to crumbled away like with Julius

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
SCENARIO: Nintendo introduces Fighters Pass 3 but it only consists of FIVE characters that have originated in mobile games and you are in charge of selecting the new fighters. The only rule is that you can't choose mobile games from already existing franchises, like Mario and Pokemon.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
SCENARIO: Nintendo introduces Fighters Pass 3 but it only consists of FIVE characters that have originated in mobile games and you are in charge of selecting the new fighters. The only rule is that you can't choose mobile games from already existing franchises, like Mario and Pokemon.
It all circle back to Katarina uh?

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know what would make up for a smaller roster or cuts?

A story mode with actual story and actual character interactions, and not just limited to the first couple minutes of the story either. Also have some actually good gameplay along with this. Actually utilizing gaming villains and having way more gaming villains as well and not just largely relying on some shadowy OCs or whatever would be great.
This is what I’ve been saying.

The next smash will have several gameplay differences, though it’ll be the same base gameplay. And a vastly improved story mode. It can’t outdo ultimate in the roster, so it’ll stand out by being really different.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I think I figured out a better way of saying what I want next Smash to be

MUGEN, except for platformers. I wanna play through all of Symphony of the Night as Metroid.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now that thinking about potential new final smashes for YL and Richter
Also one for Daisy.

...and Peach too actually, cause the FS is BS.

also, Richter. Hydro Storm, it’s his thing. But in the CV games it’s essentially just a holy water rainstorm. How would one make it look Cool(TM) for Smash?
Turn the rain into blue fire, just like his Holy Water.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would question who's been playing with the monkey paw

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
something i think would be really cool is an assist mode. Think Pokken - you can choose an assist character (or maybe a pair) to bring into battle. It would bring an intresting new strategy to the meta, and would also help the fanbase take Assist reveals better (since they're usable in some form).

Of course Fraymakers did the idea first so :drshrug:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One thing I want for Ultimate DX is a 9th alt for every character, including DLC.

Examples:
  • Mario -> Smash 64 design
  • Luigi -> Smash 64 design
  • Peach -> Sunshine design
  • Bowser -> Dry Bowser
  • Bowser Jr -> Dry Bowser Jr
  • Samus -> Dread design
  • Cloud -> KH design
  • Sephiroth-> KH design
  • Ryu -> SF Alpha design
  • Ken -> SF Alpha design
  • Snake -> Old Snake (MGS4)
  • Olimar -> Pikmin 4 protagonist
  • Bayonetta -> Bayo 3 design
  • Steve -> import some minecraft skins
  • Fox -> Star Fox 64 design
  • Falco -> Star Fox 64 design
  • Wolf -> Star Fox 64 design
  • Yoshi -> Boshi
  • Inklings -> Splat 3 design
  • Link- > BOTW 2 design
  • Ganandorf -> Phantom Ganandorf
  • Terry -> Garou design
  • King K Rool -> Kaptain design
  • Isabelle -> New Horizons design
  • Pyra/Mythra -> Xeno 3 design
    Give me ideas for the rest of the roster xD.
The only alt that matters...is Kingdom Hearts Cloud!

1633756241315.png

We have all the pieces now!

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

A story mode with actual story and actual character interactions, and not just limited to the first couple minutes of the story either. Also have some actually good gameplay along with this. Actually utilizing gaming villains and having way more gaming villains as well and not just largely relying on some shadowy OCs or whatever would be great.
Doesnt even have to be fully voiced or anything, text boxes like Project X Zone would do just fine.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Easy enough;
1. Red
2. Om Nom
3. Euden
4. Piffle
5. Freckles the Pig
It's tricky recalling games that aren't slandered by blatantly false advertising.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
2. Red (Angry Birds)
3. Mash Kyrielight (Fate/Grand Order)
4. Gran & Lyria (Granblue Fantasy)
5. Traveler (Genshin Impact)

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys are sleeping on the knight from Soul Knight, Flappy Bird, and the dude from Temple Run.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We can make the world even madder. Make them all from Fire Emblem Heroes.

1. Alfonse
2. Shareena
3. Veronica
4. Fjorm
5. Bruno

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

So like Subspace?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
At the very least it should last until after Sora's release.
Five characters from absolute Play Store shovelware. I'd deliberately make choices so egregiously bad that it doesn't manage to get greenlit, thus saving the world, or something along those lines, probably.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
This was an interesting question. I actually wouldn't mind getting a couple of these in the next game.
  1. Euden. I think a Dragalia Lost character is a given. There may be more interesting choices but most fans seem to agree that he'd be a fine addition.
  2. Amiya. Arknights is a great game and can easily fill a fighter pack. Plus, it'd be our first China-developed character.
  3. Gran/Djeeta. Granblue Fantasy already has a ridiculous crossover resume that Smash feels like a fitting next step.
  4. Rin Shibuya. No real reasons, I just want an iDOLM@STER character to be our third Bandai-Namco fighter after PAC-MAN and Kazuya.
  5. Kogitsunemaru. He over anyone else in Touken Ranbu because I'm nothing if not biased.
I think that's a pretty diverse selection. You have an action RPG, a turn-based RPG, a tower defense, a rhythm game, and a card-based strategy game.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I have a sinking feeling the next smash will not only be ages away but will have a much smaller roster. With several that were in ultimate not there anymore. Dunno why this hit me all of a sudden.... I'd been perfectly happy assuming smash 6 would be full of returning characters but somehow now I feel even the original cast aren't safe. Prolly just paranoia.
next smash won't be real because it's going to become NINTENDO VS CAPCOM and supersede mahvel as the ultimate fighting game

you heard it here first

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey so I'm working a huge-ass post like I normally make all about Deluxe and people's thought and my thoughts and the like, but can we just talk about NASB for a minute.

Like, I just grabbed it, and it has some issues for sure, but HOT DAYUM is it fun to play. In a lot of ways it's more fun to play than any Smash game I've ever played because of how fast you move and the combos you can perform. I've played Brawlhalla and Rivals as well as some others, but this one feels to most fun to play out of all of them.

Each character is absolutely insane. I haven't played the whole roster myself, but I've sunk just a smidge of time into Sandy, Reptar and Toph and I feel like I can do dope stuff with them. NASB makes more sense in my brain than Ultimate does, something I've talked about before how Ultimate feels like it's more like a traditional fighting game than it ever has been, but because of that it makes less sense to me since it's still so different. In Smash 4 I could work a little bit since nearly every character had something that combo'd from down throw, but Ultimate is less about combos and more about positioning and reads.

NASB has that too as platform fighters are mostly about positioning and movement since there is so much freedom of movement as well as a much different way to take out your opponent, but the combos are crazy. I was playing Toph in Arcade Mode and I landed a jab into what would be a jab-lock scenario, from which I grabbed them and chucked them into a heavy dash-attack that canceled into her heavy neutral air which is a big clap and it felt so satisfying I popped off hard. It also put them off-stage and I could prep a down heavy which is great for spiking people when they are off stage. I wish Ultimate played a bit more like this, but not exactly like it. Just kinda wish there were more actually true combos in the game is all, and that moving around felt as good.

Also, why does Jellyfish Fields just slap?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Hey so I'm working a huge-ass post like I normally make all about Deluxe and people's thought and my thoughts and the like, but can we just talk about NASB for a minute.

Like, I just grabbed it, and it has some issues for sure, but HOT DAYUM is it fun to play. In a lot of ways it's more fun to play than any Smash game I've ever played because of how fast you move and the combos you can perform. I've played Brawlhalla and Rivals as well as some others, but this one feels to most fun to play out of all of them.

Each character is absolutely insane. I haven't played the whole roster myself, but I've sunk just a smidge of time into Sandy, Reptar and Toph and I feel like I can do dope stuff with them. NASB makes more sense in my brain than Ultimate does, something I've talked about before how Ultimate feels like it's more like a traditional fighting game than it ever has been, but because of that it makes less sense to me since it's still so different. In Smash 4 I could work a little bit since nearly every character had something that combo'd from down throw, but Ultimate is less about combos and more about positioning and reads.

NASB has that too as platform fighters are mostly about positioning and movement since there is so much freedom of movement as well as a much different way to take out your opponent, but the combos are crazy. I was playing Toph in Arcade Mode and I landed a jab into what would be a jab-lock scenario, from which I grabbed them and chucked them into a heavy dash-attack that canceled into her heavy neutral air which is a big clap and it felt so satisfying I popped off hard. It also put them off-stage and I could prep a down heavy which is great for spiking people when they are off stage. I wish Ultimate played a bit more like this, but not exactly like it. Just kinda wish there were more actually true combos in the game is all, and that moving around felt as good.

Also, why does Jellyfish Fields just slap?

I wish I could get into that game, but god damn. Way too many animations looks janky as hell and straight up like a Wii Shovelware game at time and some models are worsts than others (another exemple, Toph's Renders is absolutely horrible in composing, posing and shading, while for exemple Spongebob looks great)
I know the team did their best, and hopefully they'll improve the game through patch since it seems it's going to have lots of support, but right now, the game looks ugly as hell, and it bother me too much, even more for an Animation property, where you'd think animation would be where the cares get in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I wish I could get into that game, but god damn. Way too many animations looks janky as hell and straight up like a Wii Shovelware game at time and some models are worsts than others (another exemple, Toph's Renders is absolutely horrible in composing, posing and shading, while for exemple Spongebob looks great)
I know the team did their best, and hopefully they'll improve the game through patch since it seems it's going to have lots of support, but right now, the game looks ugly as hell, and it bother me too much, even more for an Animation property, where you'd think animation would be where the cares get in.
That's my main gripe...
It looks atrocious.
I would have hoped they would've improved from their Slap CIty days but evidently not.

Anyway, much more excited for Fraymakers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's been about sixteen or seventeen years since I've even watched the channel equivalent to Nick over here, so I'm struggling to find interest in NASB. I remember Danny Phantom being new when I started tuning out. The only shows I really remember liking from the roster are Spongebob and Ren and Stimpy, the rest were just... on, so we'd watch them. But it's hard to remember shows you weren't really invested in from twenty-ish years ago.

Frankly I'd have a better go with Cartoon Network, but I didn't buy their platform fighter either.

osby

Smash Obsessed
NASB is weird because everything about it, from the presentation to fighters being cartoon characters, screams a party fighting game, yet the game seems like a hardcore 1v1 competitive fighter. Even though the starting roster is twice its size, with no real extra modes, no super moves, no items, it's like there's less to do than Smash 64.

Or maybe that's just me wishing there were more platform fighters that weren't laser-focused on tournament play. :drshrug: Funny how 20 years later, Smash is still the only notable game in the genre that aims at a casual demographic.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That's my main gripe...
It looks atrocious.
I would have hoped they would've improved from their Slap CIty days but evidently not.

Anyway, much more excited for Fraymakers.
I feel like this time around it's less about their style and more about Nick's budget that they gave them.

They've already patched some Day 1 issues and have said that if the game does well enough they will pursue voice acting, so it's not like they aren't trying.

I mean, we know what kind of big Nintendo budget Sakurai gets to work with, and even when he says they don't have the money for stuff I bet even that budget is better than what the Slap City devs got from Nick for this.

I am also excited for Fraymakers.

NASB is weird because everything about it, from the presentation to fighters being cartoon characters, screams a party fighting game, yet the game seems like a hardcore 1v1 competitive fighter. Even though the starting roster is twice its size, with no real extra modes, no super moves, no items, it's like there's less to do than Smash 64.

Or maybe that's just me wishing there were more platform fighters that weren't laser-focused on tournament play. :drshrug: Funny how 20 years later, Smash is still the only notable game in the genre that aims at a casual demographic.
I think this is because Smash games end up having a huge competitive scene and Nintendo never does much with it, so people cater to the competitive scene behind platform fighters.

However, if you watch channels like Maximilian_dood or others who play Smash extremely casually, you will see that three or four player NASB is just as goofy and fun as Smash can be. As it turns out, you don't need items. Also it does have a Sports mode which is like trying to play soccer but in a platform fighter.

It's clear that this game was rushed, much like Ultimate was, because there are still two characters coming to the game and they will be FREE because they were meant to be at launch. This is what happens when suits call all the shots.

Also about the lack of voice acting, Shroob Shroob I'm not telling you to spend $40 on a game you don't feel is worth it, but the modding community already has a basic voicepack for all the characters. It's not as deep as Ultimate, but you do get some voices for intros and some moves and your win screen. It really makes all the difference when I hear 'YEEE-HAW!' every time I through a grounded lasso with Sandy and 'That's for messin' with Texas.' whenever I win. Also, as I mentioned, if they game sells well enough the plan on trying to work on getting some voice acting.

EDIT: I bought it as soon as I could because I can value gameplay over all of these things, and I really don't think it's all that bad in the areas that it is lacking in, plus I'm down to support the dev team early. If you think NASB isn't worth your money, by all means do not buy it. It is on sale right now but I'm sure it will be again in the future, and by then there will be DLC to enjoy and hopefully the game will get upgraded in many ways by then.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like this time around it's less about their style and more about Nick's budget that they gave them.

They've already patched some Day 1 issues and have said that if the game does well enough they will pursue voice acting, so it's not like they aren't trying.

I mean, we know what kind of big Nintendo budget Sakurai gets to work with, and even when he says they don't have the money for stuff I bet even that budget is better than what the Slap City devs got from Nick for this.

I think this is because Smash games end up having a huge competitive scene and Nintendo never does much with it, so people cater to the competitive scene behind platform fighters.

However, if you watch channels like Maximilian_dood or others who play Smash extremely casually, you will see that three or four player NASB is just as goofy and fun as Smash can be. As it turns out, you don't need items. Also it does have a Sports mode which is like trying to play soccer but in a platform fighter.

It's clear that this game was rushed, much like Ultimate was, because there are still two characters coming to the game and they will be FREE because they were meant to be at launch. This is what happens when suits call all the shots.

Also about the lack of voice acting, Shroob Shroob I'm not telling you to spend $40 on a game you don't feel is worth it, but the modding community already has a basic voicepack for all the characters. It's not as deep as Ultimate, but you do get some voices for intros and some moves and your win screen. It really makes all the difference when I hear 'YEEE-HAW!' every time I through a grounded lasso with Sandy and 'That's for messin' with Texas.' whenever I win. Also, as I mentioned, if they game sells well enough the plan on trying to work on getting some voice acting.

EDIT: I bought it as soon as I could because I can value gameplay over all of these things, and I really don't think it's all that bad in the areas that it is lacking in, plus I'm down to support the dev team early. If you think NASB isn't worth your money, by all means do not buy it. It is on sale right now but I'm sure it will be again in the future, and by then there will be DLC to enjoy and hopefully the game will get upgraded in many ways by then.
Well, considering my main platform is the Switch, and I'm not about to go in and start modding my Switch, that's an issue for me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
next smash won't be real because it's going to become NINTENDO VS CAPCOM and supersede mahvel as the ultimate fighting game
Nah, cause Nintendo buys Capcom. Then Smash 6 is entirely 1st Party characters.

Zero [Mega Man X]
Sigma [Mega Man X]
Chun-Li [Street Fighter]
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Leon Kennedy [Resident Evil]
Wesker [Resident Evil]
Dante [Devil May Cry]
Vergil [Devil May Cry]
Greatsword Hunter [Monster Hunter]
Felyne [Monster Hunter]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
Amaterasu [Okami]

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wait, we ARE talking about a Definitive/Deluxe Edition?

WE ARE DOING THAT NOW? IS THAT OKAY DO TO NOW?

I want to make sure it's fine to do before I get exiled to the Island of Unpopular Opinion lack the last twenty or so times I tried this. Cuz BOY do I have a lot to say about it.
I've tried a number of times.

Smash only has 3 options.

1- Expanded version of same game (and yes, I stand by it must be the same game, not a fully new iteration)- pure marketing
2- A complete Reboot
3- Spinoff versions of Smash, likely focusing on individual series

Sora isn't even out and there's already Ultimate Deluxe speculation?

Do you people even realize the legal nightmare that Ultimate was to begin with? They'd have to go through it all again if they want a DX version, and this might not be the most worthwile investment for Nintendo to do, especially when we have cases of characters who took YEARS to pull off, like Steve and Sora.
No, that isn't inherently true.
The Smash 4 DLC was clearly negotiated to have the characters come back in Smash Ultimate. If a clause existed when the negotiations already happened, specifically for a further iteration of the game, then it wouldn't be renegotiated.
I think that this is very possible- given the number of ports we have gotten on the Switch, and Nintendo's awareness that ports with more content are easy sales.

I'm glad that after having said this for months, the idea is catching on.

I also don't know why Sakurai would have been discussing rollback netcode, AFTER Smash released, if a deluxe version were not a possibility. It isn't as if the online could suddenly switch to being RBNC after the game released.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I don't think Nick's animation is about budget. It's more of an issue of how and the direction their game is taking.
They're trying to go for a high pace/speed competition platformer game, just like melee. One they they "try" to go for this, isn't like in, let's say Smash Ultimate or Melee, by tweaking the pace of the game and mechanics in general, but by having every character having super fast animations, cancelling stuff, no lag allowing you to move fast and do things fast.

However...

This means that they don't have many frames to work do their animations. They're missing most of the basic principles of animations in a lot of their animations.
There's no wind-up, no impact, no direction in any of their animations. As someone who did studies in animations/game art, and currently is working on some animations projects, it does lowkey trigger me.
In smash, when something autocancels, you still have a frame of two of the "lag" animation happening, still giving you the idea that your move is over.
In Nick, there's nothing, no transition.
It just feels like a missmatch of animations togethers without any direction, punch or impact.

Some animations needs more frames, while others animations have too many frames, it looks so weird and unsettling.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My main hangup with NASB isn't the janky animations or graphics

It's just

It's a bing-bing-wahoo game, but there's no bing-bing-wahoo.

Like, Smash would lose a lot of its charm without the "OOFS" and "OWS!", so to hear Spongebob I'M READY Squarepants just be completely mute feels... wrong.
I feel like that'll be fixed if the game is successful enough.

It's just...it's a LOT of royalties to a lot of really big VAs

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Nick's animation is about budget. It's more of an issue of how and the direction their game is taking.
They're trying to go for a high pace/speed competition platformer game, just like melee. One they they "try" to go for this, isn't like in, let's say Smash Ultimate or Melee, by tweaking the pace of the game and mechanics in general, but by having every character having super fast animations, cancelling stuff, no lag allowing you to move fast and do things fast.

However...

This means that they don't have many frames to work do their animations. They're missing most of the basic principles of animations in a lot of their animations.
There's no wind-up, no impact, no direction in any of their animations. As someone who did studies in animations/game art, and currently is working on some animations projects, it does lowkey trigger me.
In smash, when something autocancels, you still have a frame of two of the "lag" animation happening, still giving you the idea that your move is over.
In Nick, there's nothing, no transition.
It just feels like a missmatch of animations togethers without any direction, punch or impact.

Some animations needs more frames, while others animations have too many frames, it looks so weird and unsettling.
You know, I don't know much about animation.

But everything happens way too fast in NASB lol. I can't tell what characters are doing half of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom