• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
So I have a Few Questions I want to ask you guys, just an estimate

-Who do you think was the Most Expensive character to get in terms of Upfront Costs and Potential Royalties to have rights to the use of the character for Smash Ultimate?

-Do you think any of the Characters reached ONE Million U.S Dollars (Convert to Yen and such) in Licensing Costs in order to use them in Smash?

-If Ultimate were to have a Sequel and Bring back every single 3rd party present in this game, How much do you think the Total Licensing would cost in general?

We won't know the exact prices since Companies are very secretive about that, but it be fun to hear guesses and such.
I think Hero was probably the most expensive. Not only are they very sacred characters to sqaure, but he also had to pay for four of them.

I said I was done here, but I got sucked back in just as I was leaving.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
A game like NASB only really would’ve worked for a team like Ludosity as they know how to make a Platform Fighter. If there wasn’t complex gameplay and good Online NASB probably would’ve been thrown in the camp of other low budget licensed kids games.

Hopefully this isn’t the end of the series and the team gets more to work with in the future. Or even the game does well and Nick slides over a few extra bucks for voice updates.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Nick should honestly look for a bigger-budget gaming company. They would definitely be able to sell more then.
It's not that they don't know other companies exist, hell they've published Nicktoons games with higher-tier publishers before. It's that they want to make cheap **** for kids' parents to buy, only to realize the devteam they got to make this game are both hardcore Smash and Nick fans once it was too late. Granted they were kind of interested in esports already, but the "cheap **** for kids" mindset was still present, as with many licensed games.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hypothetically speaking. Say Nick All-Stars Brawl did continue as a series like Smash to eventually a roster like Ultimate and having its "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

What would your roster be?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So, from the looks of it, Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl was not that good?
It's split between people who enjoy the fight mechanics and people who get hung up on the aesthetics (which in turn affects their ability to play). They've already had some tournaments. What's funny is basically the commentary team has to continuously reference smash because they don't know how else to commentate (literally was said by a commentator). I think until the game has been out long enough and they get some patches to address some of the more serious issues like no VAs etc it'll remain a niche experience for most of the pfgc.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
To be honest I can't get over how cheap the game looks. It's genuinely kind of nauseating and absolutely makes it quite hard to watch, let alone play.
I don't blame Ludosity for that, I'd instead blame Nick for cheaping out. They could have hooked 'em up with a decent team to handle the models and such, maybe got some VAs on board, and they just chose not to because... I guess they didn't care enough.
That's not on Ludosity. They did what they could and they did a great job at the stuff they've shown themselves to be good at previously.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Hypothetically speaking. Say Nick All-Stars Brawl did continue as a series like Smash to eventually a roster like Ultimate and having its "EVERYONE IS HERE!".

What would your roster be?
As far as additional characters:

-Rocko
-Heffer
-Raphael
-Donatello
-Ickis
-Krumm
-The Gromble
-Sokka
-Katara
-Norbert & Dagget
-Jenny (XJ-9)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And folks claims its a "Smash killer".

Lol.
I never knew why some people thought this would kill Smash at all. This was far from it.

I remember that one Melee fan who wanted other Smash fans to watch his stream on the Nick fighting game instead of the announcement of what would be Sora in Smash, something like that. Not only was he biased, I don't see why people jumped the gun when this game was never going to kill Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I never knew why some people thought this would kill Smash at all. This was far from it.

I remember that one Melee fan who wanted other Smash fans to watch his stream on the Nick fighting game instead of the announcement of what would be Sora in Smash, something like that. Not only was he biased, I don't see why people jumped the gun when this game was never going to kill Smash.
Because...Better rollback. Wavedashing!

A Smash Killer! AmIrite!?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As far as additional characters:

-Rocko
-Raphael
-Donatello
According to some leak those three are supposed to be DLC along with Garfield, Shredder, Jimmy Neutron, Vlad Plasimus, Plankton, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Tommy Pickles.
and yes I’m aware of the licensing issues so… probably never
Thought that only like applied to Timmy Turner and Jimmy Neutron given their absences in the Nick kart racing games.

Although based on some leak Jimmy is gonna be DLC.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Granted it doesn't make sense with Timmy regarding licencing issues. I mean if Danny has been continuing to appear why not Timmy? Aren't they under the same creator Butch Hartman?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, anyone expecting NASB to match the polish of Ultimate was setting themselves up for disappointment. In fact, it was never an advertisement point for Ludosity.

They didn't have the budget or time to add 80+ characters or focus on polish. Rather, they set out to make the most fun experience they could. And I'd say they succeeded.

On a sidenote, I was watching Max' clips yesterday. It's crazy to me that you can actually play with 4 people online with almost no lag. That might not be the selling point some people here wanted, but it's a damn good one for sure.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Granted it doesn't make sense with Timmy regarding licencing issues. I mean if Danny has been continuing to appear why not Timmy? Aren't they under the same creator Butch Hartman?
Ludosity had its priorities and time restraints. They wanted to put Danny Phantom in, most likely case they just didn't have time to make Timmy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Are you going to do whenever that game is **** on it? Just admit you don't like the game.
Fine then I admit I don't like it because of how cheap and unpolished it looks.

I confess too because of no Norbert & Daggett. But mostly because of the first reason. If this was in the hands of a better gaming company with a higher budget then maybe it'd have my interest.

SKX31

Smash Master
So, who's excited to play as Sora on the 18th?
Very interested to play as him honestly: I don't think we've had many floaty "swordies" (with the closest being :ulttoonlink:). I do like that they went with that, and it's also good that they're going with a relatively simple character after Kazuya. Of particular note I also like that he's incredibly mobile - Sonic Blade might be the key (heh) move for him.

My main worry for Sora is that he's might be a bit too susceptible to scramble situations and reversals (Witch Time is a great example of a move that benefits from scramble situations), but we'll have to see when he comes out.

NASB feels at times like the game equivalent of a B movie where the director and production designers try really hard to make the most of the resources they have and where the effort really is clear in the final product... but you can tell that its ambitions are ultimately are limited by the lack of budget.

Though given the solid base and interest it does have, it could be the Smash 64 of its series, starting out as a charming novelty that gets more and more expansive with each entry.
Yeah, that's kind of the impression I'm getting. It's of course rather rough at the edges as a result of the budget: not only is there no voice acting and a lot of moveset re-use going on, there are some heavily exploitable moves (Michaelangelo's Shell move can be exploited in order to fly around forever EDIT: this has been patched).

That said, there are some pretty cool ideas going on (everyone having light and heavy versions of their attacks incl. dash attacks and aerials for instance) and that's reason to believe it could be its own 64 in a way. It's mechanically solid overall, and that's going to help it quite a lot.

Lest we forget, 64 did have a lot of rough stuff around the edges too: massive shieldstun and hitstun - which combined with fewer defensive mechanics like no regular DI made comboes borderline inescapable - attacks that could have absurdly big reach:

(Oh yeah, one could chain this one into itself pretty easily too.)

And a lot of recoveries being really weak: going back to 64 Link's Spin Attack is outright painful if you're used to Ultimate's.

So in the end, I'm decently optimistic that NASB will survive for the long run and retain a pretty good playerbase.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nick All-Star Brawl can be saved through a massive overhaul/patch via free DLC (not the characters, I mean the game itself). If it sells well, that tells Nick that there is an audience that wants more content. I mean, FighterZ did massive overhauls in both their third and fourth seasons and became one of the best fighting games of all time, in my opinion. There are some good ideas in this game, but it just lacked the time and money to be put on the same scale that Nintendo pumps out for Sakurai in Smash Bros. For Gods sake, Ultimate was made as soon as Smash 4 stopped being worked on. I'm personally not buying it because well, it just doesn't look good enough yet for me to be interested. It also doesn't have Jimmy Neutron lol

Strafing is honestly an innovative tactic for platform fighters and it happening begs the question of why the **** Smash wasn't on it years ago. It it gets more polish, some actual voice acting, and other visual/technical tweaks, it might become pretty competitive.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So, from the looks of it, Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl was not that good?
The gameplay is fine, it's mostly a content and presentation issue.

If you're a fan of Melee jank and high level play, the game is, from what I've heard and what little I've seen, fantastic. If you're casual, however? The game suffers quite a bit from lackluster animations and the hyperfixation on tourney play.

Ludosity is committed to it and plenty of postlaunch content seems to be planned, so the game will eventually get better, it's just that it probably needed more time in the oven to bake than what Nick was ever realistically going to let them have.

PC is going to be its best platform thanks to modding, though, mainly due to fanworks not having the same restrictions as official commercial content.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think the key thing will be If Nickelodeon sees that NASB can be a semi-evergreen title via updates, promotion, and tournaments; thus keeping in the longer in the public and making it more likely that they okay a sequel with an expanded budget.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Honestly I just kinda want the Krusty Krab, I’m pretty fine with the current roster (though I definitely want Timmy and a few others).

My only real problems with NASB are the choppy animations, quality of some models, and lacking voices. Its got a really strong base and I’m excited to see how Ludosity builds on it.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Sora looks fun to play as! I'm looking forward to giving him (And Doomgii) a spin. They really did just give Jigglypuff a big stick.
Him being floaty is actually perfect, as in KH Sora's movement is typically very floaty (especially in KH1, where this Sora is primarily based on), so it's once again Sakurai and co. being extremely faithful and practically porting another game's gameplay into Smash. I haven't been this excited for a kit since Steve.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A "Nick All Stars Ultimate" in 2032 would have Goku from DBZ Kai and a bunch of Cartoon Network characters.
I wouldn't complain. At least it'd be a series that isn't just video game characters so Dragon Ball fits there.

We also still need a Nick vs. CN game. Very long overdue having a rivalry matching DC vs. Marvel, Mario vs. Sonic (Nintendo vs. Sega), Pokemon vs. Digimon, and Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter, etc. It was especially big in the 90s as those were.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom