• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It is unfortunate, since I would have loved to see DLC costumes for non-Miis; however, I've heard that would actually cause difficulties in loading and stuff (such as the delay with the character portrait appearing on the CSS when selecting an alternate costume). :(
It depends on how many costumes they wanted to add. More costumes does mean longer delays, but it would take quite a few costumes to add up to enough to be that much worse than before.

This will be a factor in modding in extra costumes, as well as straight-up running out of memory and causing a crash, though thankfully there's a lot more leeway in that regard than there was in Smash for.
I crunched some numbers a while back and we should be able to add about a thousand extra costumes before instability ensues loading their portraits. Though of course, the delay at that point would be... very bad. The portraits really are the only bottleneck seeing as Smash is only loading the selected alts into the match itself. If not for that, we could give every character 247 extra costumes and not have to worry about anything... besides our SD card..

It would have been nice if portraits were dynamically loaded and unloaded instead of being loaded in at once. That would have caused some choppiness while scrolling through your costume options, but would have at least eliminated the delay for fighters at the back of the line.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.
Funny thing I was just thinking about this yesterday. Here is who I would add

1.Waluigi
2.Krystal
3.Isaac
4. Shantae
5. Dante
6. Lloyd Irving
7. Sakura Shinguji
8. Rhythm Heaven Rep.
9. Takamaru
10. Clementine (The Walking Dead)
11. Character from Nintendo series that is regaining popularity (Advance Wars or Famicom Detective Club)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1. It's very hard to get your account banned and even harder to get your Switch bricked. Piracy and online cheating will get you banned (obviously) but more innocuous things like, well, game mods, will not, so long as you don't play online with mods that alter gameplay (that means no Giga Bowser.) As for a brick... you'd pretty much have to try to brick it, honestly. There's no easy way to do it, let alone accidentally. Follow instructions - preferably a text guide and not a YouTube video - and there's hardly anything to worry about, assuming your specific unit can be modded.

2. I have no idea.
So skin and stage mods are fine? Or music mods?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So skin and stage mods are fine? Or music mods?
Skin and stage mods are completely fine. Though this assumes the stage mods are purely aesthetic - which not all are.
Music mods are only fine if they replace existing tracks. If you've added them - like I do - there could be problems there.
I don't play online, so these things don't concern me, but it's something to note!

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
They nearly started an online riot specifically because a major component got cut to reduce (the effect of) crunch. I'd say they're the polar opposite of wanting less content.
Yet here you are mocking and disparaging them for this like a typical Nintendofan.
No, but it does mean you are complacent enough to support the company who gives you less for more.

If you want BETTER quality in your product, do you give a company who is abandoning quality for profit MORE of your money, or LESS?

Also, the amount of people on social media who claimed they would buy multiple copies to make up for those who wouldn't because they have standards was rather large. Not sure how many of them did, but when people act like that, I can see where someone might think they WANT poor quality content. I mean, how many comments I saw over the whole thing where people tried to justify GameFreak or openly admitted that they didn't care about the lower quality was massive and stunning. EDIT: In some ways, it felt like people were acting like addicts who were okay with paying more for lower quality trips and making excuses for their dealer giving them lower quality goods for a higher price, all out of some weird desperation and irrational attraction.

However, this is different from Smash fans, who I've seen both here and on other social media praising the fact that there is no more DLC. Like, genuinely being happy that massive support like this for the game is over, and it tends to boil down to them not being able to handle how the community acts about this game and tying that to Smash instead of separating it like they should.
I'm so glad this is getting brought up more and more. The toxic "hospitality" of Nintendofans. They truly believe demanding less content for EVERYONE makes them more "grateful" or more "reasonable" of a fan which really is a guise for them thinking they're better. All the crazy hyper-irrationalizations they have to conjure to make (non)sense of Nintendo's abysmal offerings, cheap tricks, greed and awkward game design.

The return of cutspec is here along with cult of Sakurai and all the sludge that comes with it. I don't know what else I expected. Maybe I just forgot they existed after a glorious 3 and half years of their irrelevancy.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yet here you are mocking and disparaging them for this like a typical Nintendofan.

I'm so glad this is getting brought up more and more. The toxic "hospitality" of Nintendofans. They truly believe demanding less content for EVERYONE makes them more "grateful" or more "reasonable" of a fan which really is a guise for them thinking they're better. All the crazy hyper-irrationalizations they have to conjure to make (non)sense of Nintendo's abysmal offerings, cheap tricks, greed and awkward game design.

The return of cutspec is here along with cult of Sakurai and all the sludge that comes with it. I don't know what else I expected. Maybe I just forgot they existed after a glorious 3 and half years of their irrelevancy.
I agree in the sense that a lot of fans let Nintendo get away with way too much ****, but cut speculation has literally nothing to do with that. There is a major difference between wanting cuts and expecting cuts, and considering Sakurai himself said he doesn't expect Everyone is Here to happen ever again, expecting cuts is perfectly reasonable.

That's not letting Nintendo "get away" with something. That's the natural reality of fighting games as a genre, and something that Smash is already no stranger to. Acting like talking about the topic of cuts is some grave injustice is only going to make the reaction worse when the inevitable happens and there are cuts next time.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
In a hypothetical new Smash game, I would love to see a western fighter that particularly isn't owned by Microsoft. (And yes, I'd love if Banjo&Kazooie and Steve returned in this hypothetical game lol)

Edit: YOO GTA TRILOGY LETS GOO (I really want to cop it for sure)
Though...
I wonder if we'd get a GTA Protagonists spirit event or something following this announcement. Sakurai did say we'd get a few more spirits events and tourneys iirc, so...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In a hypothetical new Smash game, I would love to see a western fighter that particularly isn't owned by Microsoft. (And yes, I'd love if Banjo&Kazooie and Steve returned in this hypothetical game lol)

Edit: YOO GTA TRILOGY LETS GOO (I really want cop it for sure)
Though...
I wonder if we'd get a GTA Protagonists spirit event or something following this announcement. Sakurai did say we'd get a few more spirits events and tourneys iirc, so...
While my most wanted western characters are owned by Microsoft, I’d love to see more from other companies as well. As horrible as Blizzard has become as a company, I still love their characters. Sub-Zero would be another amazing character if they could work around the issues of the games not being sold in Japan. Others like Death from Darksiders or Raziel from Soul Reaver would be awesome as well.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
If you think about Smash Bros's amount of people online, it would take more time to implement the netcode rollback compared to other titles of their online feature. Maybe with this break, Nintendo and the next Smash Bros game may be able to apply the netcode rollback with the high amount of players around the world.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I have 2 questions
1. Do you think smash ballout result outdated and expired now and won’t be used in future smash game since the number 1 character on the poll has finally arrived?
2. Will smash still receive new spirits after Sora releases?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have 2 questions
1. Is the smash ballout result outdated and expired now and won’t be used in future smash game since the number 1 character on the poll has finally arrived?
1. I’m pretty sure the ballot said for all future games
2. Yes, as you’ve seen with Metroid Dread’s spirits

unless you mean after Sora’s release in which case idk

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
If we somehow got an Ultimate DX, it’d be nice if we got 11 characters to get the roster up to an insane 100 fighters.
Mine's are

Dante: Face of the Hack 'n Slash
Billy/Jimmy: Beat 'em up reps and NES icons (I want Haggar from Final Fight with all my heart too but apparently the game classifies Cody as a SF character, I know he was on Alpha but it's weird)
Hayabusa: Tecmo rep
Doom slayer: The face of the FPS
Phoenix Wright: Visual Novel rep
Dixie Kong: Should have been in the game already
AoC Impa or Pig Ganon: More zelda reps
Terra Branford: SNES icon and more FF content that isn't exclusive to one entry
E.M.M.I: More metroid love please
Excitebike: Obligatory first party NES rep
Nahobino: SMT rep

To me this would make the roster complete if Ultimate Deluxe on NS 2 ever gets release.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
CJ confir- Oh wait :4pacman:
Don't get too excited if you play GTA on PC
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There's rumors that these definitive editions are Unreal Engine-based too, which means over 20 years' worth of mods for the Renderware-based versions are now going to be outdated unless you acquire GTAIII/VC/SA through...other means...

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I have 2 questions
1. Do you think smash ballout result outdated and expired now and won’t be used in future smash game since the number 1 character on the poll has finally arrived?
1. Yes. The ballot is 2 games old and really should be recast so newer franchises since this October marks 6 years since the original ballot was closed.
2. I believe so but I don't know how many such events remain to be released. I'm assuming we will get at least one or two more balance patches and perhaps a patch for amiibo support it's quite plausible to expect at least one last spirit event as well. Time will tell.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This is an actual game.

(And now with Sora in, there's like a thousand projects I've had on my computer I can finally finish)

As for the ballot, it's tricky. There's people who were like "cool" when seeing Sora's trailer, recognizing the difficulties but saying this should have been earlier to catch on to the hype at its peak (so many seemed drained after III, though I haven't played the games yet so going by the general vibe I saw in reactions). And I would say Sora's the biggest character, so it seems like the ballot may have a shelf life, and there are many characters who had a resurgence of popularity after the ballot, like Crash. But they may still do polls, like the one they did for Melee. Sora does seem like the definitive way to cap off the ballot, can't top the number one.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have 2 questions
1. While a bit outdated, I think it can still be used to some extent. Especially to remind people, "Oh yes, this character was popular and I liked this character/series back then."
2. Maybe. We'll have to wait and see.

Anyway.....holds copy of Dread...I have a hunt to begin.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Part of me wants something absolutely insane like 12 player Smash or something next game. I don't know who on earth even wants to do something like that but the spectacle would neat.
How popular is 8-player Smash anyway, considering everything you need to get it set up with 8 humans? For example, 8 humans?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It depends on how many costumes they wanted to add. More costumes does mean longer delays, but it would take quite a few costumes to add up to enough to be that much worse than before.

This will be a factor in modding in extra costumes, as well as straight-up running out of memory and causing a crash, though thankfully there's a lot more leeway in that regard than there was in Smash for.
I crunched some numbers a while back and we should be able to add about a thousand extra costumes before instability ensues loading their portraits. Though of course, the delay at that point would be... very bad. The portraits really are the only bottleneck seeing as Smash is only loading the selected alts into the match itself. If not for that, we could give every character 247 extra costumes and not have to worry about anything... besides our SD card..

It would have been nice if portraits were dynamically loaded and unloaded instead of being loaded in at once. That would have caused some choppiness while scrolling through your costume options, but would have at least eliminated the delay for fighters at the back of the line.
I don't think would be feasible to mod in, but a potential bandaid to the situation might be to load alts based on character playtime. Your most played characters load first, your least played last. It would make things work better in most scenarios, and we know they already store that data for the Battle Records.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Part of me wants something absolutely insane like 12 player Smash or something next game. I don't know who on earth even wants to do something like that but the spectacle would neat.
I would love it but the real question is would it be able to handle 24 :ulticeclimbers: including pokeballs and assist trophies all at the same time?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
So do you think Nintendo will do another Fighter’s Ballot? I doubt it but it seems it was pretty influential for Ultimate: returning all veterans, Ridley, Simon, Chrom (kind of), King K Rool, Banjo & Kazooie (presumably as I believe it hasn’t been mentioned anywhere) & Sora
Probably not but if they did it would be interesting. Like, Master Chief or Crash or even Dante would be confirmed in the Top 3 for sure.

Technomage

Smash Champion
This talk about things like CSS loading times and 12-player Smash has got me thinking: What if Smash 6 were to be released on PC (preferably with GC controller support already set up, for people who don't wanna bother with more technical work)?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have 2 questions
I believe it was stated that the ballot would be used for future titles, not just the next game or smash 4 DLC. plus the way Sakurai talked about the ballot in Sora's presentation kind of sounded like there are still some character requests they want to fulfil from it in the future. So they might still squeeze in a few more newcomers from it in the next game before deciding to do a fresh new poll again, if ever...

As for more spirits I dunno, maybe until the end of 2021 at least (I'd imagine they'd still want to do a tourney for all the Ultimate newcomers for example..)

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
This talk about things like CSS loading times and 12-player Smash has got me thinking: What if Smash 6 were to be released on PC (preferably with GC controller support already set up, for people who don't wanna bother with more technical work)?
That’s what I’ve been thinking, what if the big selling point was that it was multiplatform? It would definitely allow for an extremely expanded berth of choices for third party fighters, definitely, but it’s likely be a hit to more Nintendo-oriented series‘ chances joining the battle (which, honestly, I think is a fair tradeoff, considering aside from a select few characters, we’ve already got pretty much every last big name there is to include from Nintendo).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honestly swear I thought I might of had a dream where it was announced Nintendo was letting the next Smash game be on all platforms.

Just like how half this day for me just didn't exist. I can't even remember it.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Figured I'd humor the earlier discussion. An Ultimate Deluxe with 11 more fighters to bring it to 100. I won't go into everything I'd do for an Ultimate deluxe, but I'll echo what others have said about rollback netcode and lost content from previous games like stages, items, assist trophies, etc.

1. Isaac
2. Geno
3. Chorus Kids
4. Mach Rider
5. Shadow
6. Dixie Kong
7. Bandana Dee
8. Impa
9. Toad
10. Octoling
11. Ryu Hayabusa

Yeah I want bring the rest of the Grinch crew in. Chorus Kids is also the last remaining bit of Gematsu and I'd like to fulfill that as well. Dixie Kong is a little bit of Forbidden 7 love plus she should be in here anyway. Flesh out the few remaining big first parties like Toad and Bandana Dee, some quick echoes like Impa and Octoling, and Hayabusa as our new third party a la Simon. If they did further DLC that's where you cut put your Dantes, your Doom Slayers, and your Crash Bandicoots. I think if they do a deluxe port the added characters will be more low key like this list, and DLC will be for the crazy third parties.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it funny that despite smash ultimate ended over few days ago we are already discussing the next game
It’s Hard to be fully satisfied I guess
Makes a compelling case for this thread to have a successor instead of just being closed and scattered to the wind...

But what do I know, I've only been through three Smash cycles. :p

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I find it funny that despite smash ultimate ended over few days ago we are already discussing the next game
It’s Hard to be fully satisfied I guess
Oh yeah I'm fully content to not think about Smash speculation for years now that we have a completed Ultimate roster. Just thought I'd play along with some of the other posts in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom