• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah but I'd like to see improvements to the game if they are ever gonna port it to Switch 2, like fixing the entire online system (besides netcode, adding leaderboards, getting rid of the GSP system thing allowing us to change characters between matches). Also, more modes, Smash run is stuck in the 3ds game, finally bring break the targets and board the platforms back, boss rush that isn't exclusive to one character, etc. And making changes to the Spirits to resemble the trophies more (basic stuff like adding text detailing their origin).
This ^

maybe even 2P and or Very Hard to WoL

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I hate the idea of cutting any characters but if we have to, I hope we at least keep the majority of third party characters. Sephiroth is one of my favorite characters ever and it would really suck to see him left out of the next game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hate the idea of cutting any characters but if we have to, I hope we at least keep the majority of third party characters. Sephiroth is one of my favorite characters ever and it would really suck to see him left out of the next game.
I don’t wanna lose Snake again

and as for a way to make an Ultimate port stand out from the original, you could change a few moves for some characters in the port. I’ve played both the OG Dissidia and 012 and some characters’ moves changed; they play better in 012 which is for all intents and purposes an expanded port which even overhauled the story mode

like give Young Link a Fierce Deity final smash or Richter’s FS replaced with Hydro Storm

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"quality > quantity"
I don't really get this argument tbh as Ultimate's managed to deliver on both. Losing one when we have both will obviously sting regardless so like, people will feel it and naturally don't want to lose it. I don't want to lose the character I love playing as and neither do my friends and I really don't like how often people act like it's stupid to act like losing a large chunk out of 89 characters will suck. Not that you acted like this, just see it a lot for some reason

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t wanna lose Snake again

and as for a way to make an Ultimate port stand out from the original, you could change a few moves for some characters in the port. I’ve played both the OG Dissidia and 012 and some characters’ moves changed; they play better in 012 which is for all intents and purposes an expanded port which even overhauled the story mode

like give Young Link a Fierce Deity final smash or Richter’s FS replaced with Hydro Storm
Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I care a lot more about the characters themselves than their movesets so I’m totally open to changing up a lot of how they play.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I personally dont care about the next smash game unless it is a deluxe version. 82 characters and me liking random (so I can play them all) is a big draw for me as a player. So if the next game is released, while I will want Goemon in, I dont want to have to fight for Terry and/or Ridley again.

Smash 6 is dead to me. Ultimate for life.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't really get this argument tbh as Ultimate's managed to deliver on both. Losing one when we have both will obviously sting regardless so like, people will feel it and naturally don't want to lose it. I don't want to lose the character I love playing as and neither do my friends and I really don't like how often people act like it's stupid to act like losing a large chunk out of 89 characters will suck. Not that you acted like this, just see it a lot for some reason
I wasn't trying to say Ultimate's roster was bad or didn't have "quality." I was just mainly trying to make the point that a smaller roster of characters =/= a worse roster of characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally dont care about the next smash game unless it is a deluxe version. 82 characters and me liking random (so I can play them all) is a big draw for me as a player. So if the next game is released, while I will want Goemon in, I dont want to have to fight for Terry and/or Ridley again.

The one good thing about Ultimate being the last massive Smash is that it won’t feel like a waste of time modding the game only to feel obsoleted by the next one. With how much content we already have, I think Ultimate is probably the best base for modding a Smash game we’re ever going to get.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The one good thing about Ultimate being the last massive Smash is that it won’t feel like a waste of time modding the game only to feel obsoleted by the next one. With how much content we already have, I think Ultimate is probably the best base for modding a Smash game we’re ever going to get.
That is my hopes and dreams. that Ultimate modding takes off like Brawl modding did. If someone is able to make a character injector, then all those Mii cosutmes will start becoming characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ehhhh Little Mac's gameplan is SUPER appealing to casuals
Hell yeah! Smash left, baby!

I kind of wish we got a second E3 2018-style EVERYONE IS HERE! trailer. It could have even funneled into Sora's own trailer - Inkling being the penultimate fighter seen - in a black void-y stage - to allow for a clean transition to the CGI. Sora's gameplay portion starts with "82 Sora" in the bottom-left corner.
I still wish all the DLC characters had those number trailers...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wasn't trying to say Ultimate's roster was bad or didn't have "quality." I was just mainly trying to make the point that a smaller roster of characters =/= a worse roster of characters.
I know, hence:

Not that you acted like this
No worries lmao, just got reminded of people who seem almost gleeful at the idea of cutting back to like 15 characters

ZelDan

Smash Master
I can't wait to see AT modding become more of a thing myself. I just want to see my boys Isaac, Shovel Knight, Zero, and Alucard become playable. And Lyn too.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I get that this is the unprecedented "there's no topping this" game and that it's natural to only want them to build off it going forward.

But the game isn't going anywhere. If/when a new game releases, you'll still be able to play Ultimate. In fact we may be doing so for a lot longer than ever before if Sakurai really takes his long deserved break from the series. And unlike prior ones, we really do have "everything up until this point" in this game.

Going back to play Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 even always felt bittersweet when you knew the content wouldn't all be there as it was in the others, but this game literally has everything, it's not just gonna be forgotten the instance a potential new one (assuming it has a new direction, which of course it would) comes into existence.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Just look at MvC3, it's smaller than 2's but isn't necessarily worse because 2 didn't have Zero, Ghost Rider, or Thor and COULDN'T have Dante, Viewtiful Joe or Amaterasu.

Also after thinking about it, the way pop culture works now might have something to do with the massive third-party focus in the fighter's passes. By the mid-2010s, studios behind high-budget movies and games collectively agreed that it's no longer good enough that their high-budget movie/game is A commercial success, it has to be THE commercial success, thanks to things like the massive success of GTAV and Skyrim as well as the MCU and Star Wars Episode VII. For Smash, this means you can't take risks by having someone smaller than Sephiroth without being a Switch title. Ironically, this mindset may also be why Nick Brawl's roster is riskier, because in an age where no one under 60 watches cable TV, Nick thinks it needs people to remember all its 90s franchises to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can't wait to see AT modding become more of a thing myself. I just want to see my boys Isaac, Shovel Knight, Zero, and Alucard become playable. And Lyn too.
Someone made Zero over Roy already. I think he would make for an awesome Mythra mod. I’ve also seen others like Wily over Bowser Jr. and Alucard over Sephiroth. Speaking of Mii outfits, I just saw a cool Doomguy over Ganondorf too.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Was either Sora or James Bond Apparently, both cool but I'm glad they went with Sora despite the new Bond movie hype

Ivander

Smash Legend
The one good thing about Ultimate being the last massive Smash is that it won’t feel like a waste of time modding the game only to feel obsoleted by the next one.
Unless the next game has a very fun enjoyable mode that can't be modded into Ultimate. Cause really, Spirits is a good concept and World of Light is a good experience, but they aren't exactly fun to repeat. Give the next Smash Bros. game a fun and repeatable mode, like an improved Smash Run or Melee Adventure mode and just the idea of doing that with alot of the new characters is enough for me to prefer the new Smash Bros.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Unless the next game has a very fun enjoyable mode that can't be modded into Ultimate. Cause really, Spirits is a good concept and World of Light is a good experience, but they aren't exactly fun to repeat. Give the next Smash Bros. game a fun and repeatable mode, like an improved Smash Run or Melee Adventure mode and just the idea of doing that with alot of the new characters is enough for me to prefer the new Smash Bros.
In that case, I’d play the new game for that mode but go back to Ultimate if I just want random matches. I do really miss SSE.

Stratos

Smash Ace
With the addition of Sora as the last character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I want to hope that does not mean that they will come as newcomers to future games of the series and non-video game characters. I am writing this because Sora is the protagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series which is by Square Enix, but also belongs to Disney which as it is known is not a video game company.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
With the addition of Sora as the last character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, I want to hope that does not mean that they will come as newcomers to future games of the series and non-video game characters. I am writing this because Sora is the protagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series which is by Square Enix, but also belongs to Disney which as it is known is not a video game company.
Disney has a richer history with video games than most other companies

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Someone else summed it up best; Sora is legally owned by Disney but created by Square Enix

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m probably alone in this but I’ve never had an issue with non video game characters in Smash. I’d love to play as Predator, Venom, The TMNT, Edward Elric, the Undertaker or tons of other random characters.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master

I think it's safe to say that if Smash 6 cuts more than a couple echoes, it will create a new schism in the Smash Community on par with Melee. A lot of the third parties were straight up selling points for a lot of people. Take away characters like Sephiroth, Cloud, Megaman, Snake, Steve, Banjo, etc., you're going to lose a lot of people and I'm not sure any amount of additional content is going to make up for lost characters of their caliber.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's safe to say that if Smash 6 cuts more than a couple echoes, it will create a new schism in the Smash Community on par with Melee. A lot of the third parties were straight up selling points for a lot of people. Take away characters like Sephiroth, Cloud, Megaman, Snake, Steve, Banjo, etc., you're going to lose a lot of people and I'm not sure any amount of additional content is going to make up for lost characters of their caliber.
Heck

I think people have ironically become attached to Echoes now, some even wanting echoes of other characters

though, differentiating a few of them here and here (looking at you Daisy) wouldn’t hurt

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Imagine if the concept of "deeper gameplay vs. roster size" happens again with Smash...

...but now it's those who WANT deeper gameplay telling fans of the bigger roster that they're stuck in the past and need to move to the new game.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Cmon everyone - no roster cuts? Do we really want a game with a character select screen of over 120 characters?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Cmon everyone - no roster cuts? Do we really want a game with a character select screen of over 120 characters?
It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just an unrealistic expectation. Every fighting game roster with that big of a roster required making sacrifice after sacrifice, such as recycled animations, and Smash already had to sacrifice even more for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
It's sad to think that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the last game in the series and that no other future Super Smash Bros. will be released, because Masahiro Sakurai said that he will stop the series after the last character which is Sora. But I hope someone else is found to continue.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Unpopular opinion, The Sora stained glass with Donald and Goofy edited out and the Riku stained glass with Mickey edited out for Sora are better than the originals.

PS: Rikus stained glass actually isn't new and was on a coaster in the cafe for the 15th anniversary
IMG_20211007_140239.jpg

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's sad to think that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the last game in the series and that no other future Super Smash Bros. will be released, because Masahiro Sakurai said that he will stop the series after the last character which is Sora. But I hope someone else is found to continue.
Wait what

The guy who will Continue should be someone from Nintendo.
It can't be Doug Bowser, since he could turn Smash 6 into Cash Grab game.
Or it Can't be Miyamoto, since he has over 65 years old and I don't know that he can handle this series.
I think I can be someone from Bandai Namco, like President of Bandai Namco or someone from Nintendo again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom