• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well look at that. I was at work today watching the final broadcast on my break and the last character turned out to be Sora. I ended up having to listen to the rest of it cause my breaktime's only 10 minutes.

You know, for a lot of characters that were heavily speculated on and talked about from Master Chief and Crash, Sora was always a character that had a lot of doubt because of Disney, so I did like Sora being the last DLC character even when he was always a major topic in speculation since there was never really a feeling of confidence that he'll be in Smash until he actually gets revealed. Amazingly enough, Smash 4 and Ultimate ended with the Ballot, so that's quite something.

It's a shame none of the newcomers in Ultimate ever gave me that feeling of excitement and catharsis that a lot of other people had when their favorites ended up being added cause now that changed my whole personal views on the game. I'll post more thoughts on the entirety of Ultimate's DLC in due time, but for now, Sora's objectively the best conclusion to Ultimate and maybe even just the series as a whole.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Something odd I noticed but

When they were doing the very intro cutscene thing

Plant was grouped with the base game characters, not DLC.
From multiple Beta-Tester and intern tester of Ultimate, we know that Plant was supposedly Base game/Unfinished/Glitchy/Playable, from multiple sources.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ahhhhhh! I’m so happy! Sora was one of my most wanted characters for a while now. I first played the series during the summer of 2018 as I got ready for KH3 & fell in love. It’s sort of crazy that I got into the series during the beginning of Smash Ultimate & now Sora’s finally in at the end.

I’m so happy that we ended things with a bang. Another fan rule broken. 😎

& now we can all rest… for atleast 3 years. 👀

Dukefire

Smash Master
Have to wait for 3 more days before Metroid Dread. I just wonder if this game will prove that Metroid is ready to come back into the spotlight.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Something odd I noticed but

When they were doing the very intro cutscene thing

Plant was grouped with the base game characters, not DLC.
I noticed that too but then Plant is also the only non fighter pass DLC character.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
now that i think about it, Sora kinda has a crappy tagline.
View attachment 333379
I don't think that's a reference or anything it's just a statement. I would've gone with "Sora is Unlocked!" or "Sora makes dreams come true!"
Personally, I feel like this is perfectly fitting, both because he's the final character, and because of his status as the most requested fighter, but one that we all know took so much work to bring to life.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, Sora huh?

What a great choice. Only one I ever played was the PS2 version of KH1 all the way through. I’ve dabbled in the others but never fully got into them. Now that they’re coming to Switch I might as well give them another go.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Not a fan of Kingdom Heart. In fact, I hate this IP but since a lot of people wanted him he is a good choice to end smash. I got my most wanted (King Rool) in Ultimate after more than 10 years of wanting so its cool to know more people can experience this feeling.

That saying...I'm a bit salty about the trailer (not the character) cause I FREAKING BELIEVED WE WERE GETTING A DARK SOULS REP!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
I already posted this in the reaction thread but I'll repeat my thoughts here for good measure.

I will confess, I had largely written off Sora specifically because of Disney being notoriously strict with their IPs and licensing combined with Square Enix IPs and their rights being a jumbled mess in general. Nintendo goes to great lengths to avoid enmeshment via contracts as well. Trying to visualize how the dynamics of that triangle would play out left me doubting. But four years (2015-2019) is plenty of time to get details of an agreement ironed out in a way that all parties can walk away satisfied from.

Considering how many naysayers brought up how expensive it would be to bring in content from Square Enix AND Mircosoft AND Disney now, among others, it makes me wonder exactly how these licensing agreements might be structured specifically for Smash. I'm assuming at this point that the biggest benefit being given to the third parties, aside from obvious exposure for their IPs and thus paying customers, would be royalties they get for each pass sale.

I'm one of the few who doesn't subscribe to the belief that a roster like Ultimate's couldn't happen again, or even that all the characters couldn't return for the next game. Though the manner in which they could all come together may change. We may end up having to live with Day 1 DLC packs for most third party characters down the line, even for returning ones, unfortunately, as that to me is the most realistic way Smash can move forward without falling off this peak, at least in terms of character representation.

Can we all appreciate how Sakurai was like "yeah, we hid the ballot results because Smash fans are ****ing animals and would've made the last few years absolute hell for the IP holders, please understand"?
And now Harada's comments about blocking those accounts made a lot more sense. That could have caused problems with the negotiations if the demand could have given Disney more negotiating leverage, for instance.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I do find it odd that Sora's trailer doesn't include any third party characters (other than Cloud and Sephiroth) but I suppose that's because the Sora trailer uses CGI while Banjo & Kazooie's trailer uses in game models.

Banjo Kazooie.png

Sora.png

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I do find it odd that Sora's trailer doesn't include any third party characters but I suppose that's because the Sora trailer uses CGI while Banjo & Kazooie's trailer uses in game models.

View attachment 333385
View attachment 333386
saw a few saying that perhaps the budget was mainly used on getting the Micky mouse keychain to show up. Apparently it was speculated that it costed 400k just to have it show up for 12 seconds but I don’t know how legit that is.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I can clearly see Cloud and Sephiroth in that image.
Yeah but Cloud and Sephiroth are the only ones. There is no Sonic, Megaman, Pacman, etc.

saw a few saying that perhaps the budget was mainly used on getting the Micky mouse keychain to show up. Apparently it was speculated that it costed 400k just to have it show up for 12 seconds but I don’t know how legit that is.
I think that's just a Team Fortress 2 joke because the Heavy says "It costs $400,000 to fire his minigun for 12 seconds."

Theguy123

Smash Lord
That's uhhh, that's a Team Fortress 2 meme

didn’t actually know that. Never even heard of team fortress 2. Least that’s cleared up but I still would think the budget might of gone on the Micky keychain since it’s a keychain based on the biggest mascot in the world. No doubt Disney probably would want more for that than sora

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You know KH in Smash is a big deal when it's making me legitimately consider trying the Cloud Versions of the games.
didn’t actually know that. Never even heard of team fortress 2. Least that’s cleared up but I still would think the budget might of gone on the Micky keychain since it’s a keychain based on the biggest mascot in the world. No doubt Disney probably would want more for that than sora
Never heard of TF2? You poor man...

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Souls, Tales & DMC are the only Japanese series with 20 mil+ sales without a character in Smash. Souls is the only one with nothing.

I’m betting those are all locks for the next game, maybe excluding MonHun since that team is weird with crossovers.

*I excluded stuff like Frogger because I don’t see that happening or being a priority for them lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just don't think it's sunk in for me that this is it for Smash for a while. Right now I'm having fun looking at colleges. Merely attending college seems so far away. But, being optimistic, Smash 6 will take another 6 years to release. I'll be out of there by then. It's been a fun ride, and i don't think i'm ready to say goodbye.

god it's so hard to make a serious post with a chris pratt pfp

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Also, Sora was a really cool addition. I cant wait to put my hands on him.
Not my kink but eh, you do you I guess.

You know KH in Smash is a big deal when it's making me legitimately consider trying the Cloud Versions of the games.

Never heard of TF2? You poor man...
Or lucky *******, depending on your perspective. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

On a sidenote, everyone believing Vol 2 would not end on a big note should also think about if the order of Vol 2 was in reverse. Even if CP11 isn't a relatively big name, the reverse order would look like a crescendo from CP11 to Kazuya to Pyra and Mythra to Sephiroth to Steve, and then it just ends with... Min Min lol.

Like I'm sorry ARMS fans but even if people would still be pessimistic about who the last character could be, Min Min would've still been **** on for being the follow up fighter after Sephiroth and Steve. I don't know if it would've been as rough as Byleth, but it wouldn't have been so great either.
God I posted this a few months ago and now it has never felt more apparent how legitimately flat things could've ended on had the order been in reverse.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Wait, Hollow Bastion actually looks competitively viable and fun! The timeline got better.

Also we can we talk about how they gave him Ness Jump, Link Up B, and Pikachu Up B for his Side B? I said it before, but I actually don't think it's possible to gimp this guy.

Shroob

Sup?
Wait, Hollow Bastion actually looks competitively viable and fun! The timeline got better.

Also we can we talk about how they gave him Ness Jump, Link Up B, and Pikachu Up B for his Side B? I said it before, but I actually don't think it's possible to gimp this guy.
Inb4 the music sets off the copyright bots like FF7's does for Northern Crater.

Firox

Smash Master
You know, one thing I think is really nice is that when Sakurai said Sora was the most requested character, not a single person seemed to doubt that claim. Goes to show how massive the character truly is
I was thinking the same thing. When Sakurai announced that Sora was the #1 voted but that he couldn't be realized until now, my only response was, "Yep, makes perfect sense."

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Inb4 the music sets off the copyright bots like FF7's does for Northern Crater.
Oh ****, I just realized that after LEGS, Steve's Meat, Not-Safe Sephiroth, the Bae Blades and a guy with no shirt on main, Sora killed Thirst Theory.

Noooooooooo :roll:
I take it all back, this is the worst timeline.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
All these people are posting about how all their dreams came true and i can't help but feel a little left out. I ended on a draw: one character who was in my top 10 (Steve) and one character I loathe (not gonna get into this).

I'm not "mad" or "salty" or anything, I do like most of the inclusions, I just hope i get dealt the hand everyone else was in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom