• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

7NATOR

Smash Master
I get where you coming from, but Sonic isn't really a good example of that. Sonic is definitely huge worldwide and Eggman or Shadow would be easily recognizable by Japanese.
I wanted to comment on this

You'd be surprised. While I'm sure Sonic is known of in Japan, the Difference in Popularity between Japan and other regions of the World is actually a very large gap, and has been a thing since even the First Sonic Game

Whatever sales a Sonic game does in the West for Example, You can probably 1/8, or even more of that of the sales, which would be the Sales in Japan

As an example, Sonic Colors, the game that was said to have brought Sonic back to the Limelight and was a Classic on the Wii, only did like 10,000 Sales there, which is not the best.

As an early example, Sonic 2, which sold millions in other Regions, only sold 160,000. I had actually thought the Classic Era games were the most successful ones in Japan, but it is actually SA1 and SA2, which had around 500,000 and 400,000 sold respectfully. That's really good for Sonic, but that's actually the height of the Series in sales, and that doesn't scream Block Buster Iconic hit that the West sales will tell of

As an example, that's around the level of Banjo and Kazooie's sales, which was around 400,000, and people considered Banjo more of a Niche character in the West. It's also less than Crash, which had a Million seller, unlike Sonic.

Sonic Adventure 2 in Particular is a well regarded game there, but since it's about 2 Decades old, and it hasn't be released on Nintendo platforms since it's initial re-release on Gamecube, newer gamers might not be as familiar

It's also worth nothing that the 3rd Season of Sonic X was due to wanting to give more for the West, not Japan. I'm sure it aired there, but the reason Season 3 exists is because of the Western side of things

EDIT: Season 3 actually never made it to Japan apparently, which just proves the point even further

This is something I've taken note of when I've speculated on Shadow. I know that i've debated against the other arguments like Shadow being an Assist, "He could only be an Echo", and other Sonic characters, but I think the main thing I can't debate is that Sonic as a franchise is very niche in Japan, especially when you compare it to the Pedigree of it's status in the West. I believe I have mentioned it in the past that this could be a Deciding factor in Nintendo being apprehensive of Choosing Another Sonic character, but If I didn't, I have done so now

Now Sonic is no Rayman or Spyro in Nichehood, and it's especially not no Mortal Kombat, as even though Sonic is more of a Niche in Japan, Sega still of course shows support for the Japanese audience there. But I think the advent of the Tweet implying a More Western focused character does fit Sonic to a T, despite being owned by a Japanese Company

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well Guild Wars 2's Elementalist allows you to swap between:
  • Fire (Damage)
  • Water (Healing & Support)
  • Air (Crowd Control)
  • Earth (Protection; I.E. Support, but different)
Which changes all of your weapon skills (of which there are 5) and also can conjure a few different weapons that also give you a new set of weapon skills (though these aren't mandatory). The Tempest Elite Specialization has the elements combine based on which order you click them in.

Also you're by far the squishiest class in the entire game by far and all of their good options are melee to kinda midranged which means if you're not good, you just die. No pressure indeed. :4pacman:

EDIT: Oh, also their available weapon combos are:
  • Staff
  • Hammer (The new Elite Specialization only)
  • Dagger/Dagger
  • Dagger/Focus
  • Dagger/Warhorn (Tempest only)
  • Scepter/Dagger
  • Scepter/Focus
  • Scepter/Warhorn (Tempest only)
  • Sword/Dagger (Weaver only)
  • Sword/Focus (Weaver only)
Playing Elementalist basically means you gotta play like a piano player, except the piano keys are trying to kill you and your fingers are fragile.
On the topic of weapon swap, Warrior deserves a honorable mention just from how many weapons and weapon combinations they can swap between. In fact, Warrior has so many weapons that they basically created a whole new weapon type for Warrior's Gunsworn elite specialization, so they have a gunblade in addition to a pistol from that elite specialization.

Noipoi

Howdy!
preparing myself for the eventuality of flame chungus by listening to this song but replacing the word "big" with "flame"

join me in doomposting to the end my brethren
Doomposting?

No no no, bro.

I’m gonna take Sakurai’s tweets, blow them wildly out of proportion, and come to the conclusion that it’s Master Sora DoomBandicoot!!

It only makes sense :yeahboi:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Also I just ate a big bowl of spaghetti (we have cheese for it now!). I don't have the energy to be super excited.

Day of though: Hype levels will rise, and they will rise high.
Your words reminds me of a song from Metal Slug (Ambition):

Dukefire

Smash Master
Alright, one more time. Proceed to the final Mr. Sakurai Presents video with controlled expectations. I know it is impossible at this point, but at least have a solid ground to stand on in case.
Screenshot_20210606-201224_YouTube.jpg

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's not hype because it'll definitely 100% be this guy or that gal. It's hype because it's hype. Is that irrational? You bet. If only I cared!
Luckily for me, I'm a big girl who can handle the character not having been somebody I was rooting for.

Now, I'm going to go spend my evening playing the game in question~ :187:

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Playing Elementalist basically means you gotta play like a piano player, except the piano keys are trying to kill you and your fingers are fragile.
On the topic of weapon swap, Warrior deserves a honorable mention just from how many weapons and weapon combinations they can swap between. In fact, Warrior has so many weapons that they basically created a whole new weapon type for Warrior's Gunsworn elite specialization, so they have a gunblade in addition to a pistol from that elite specialization.
Nono. It's a gunsaber. It's different because it is. :4pacman:

If you'll allow me to vent on the Elite Specializations though, my favorite class is the Ranger. I haven't touched the druid because it's support only, and the Soulbeast's whole thing is that people complained about the pet AI, so instead of fixing it, they got rid of the pet, which was the entire point of the class. And then it became the Rangers best DPS option and they keep majorly nerfing it and just let my play my stupid and super sub-optimal Might stacking Longbow build Arenanet!

Also the Ranger is quite possibly the last new Elite Specialization they'll reveal. Life is pain.

I really hope it's pet based.

D

Deleted member

After a few years, this will all be over in 1 day, and man Sakurai's tweets really make me want to believe he's referring to Zagreus. It was actually not that long ago Hades was officially released in Japan this June, and at the time of its full release in 2020, it was 1 of the most critically acclaimed games of that year that amassed a big following and even won a few awards at TGAs and such.

Though with that tweet, it pretty much wrote off any hope in a Koei-Tecmo rep now, which I've pretty much accepted at this point. It's a shame none of their games were ever considered for a Challenger Pack. Now, I'll just stick with either a Toby Fox game because it feels fitting for it to end on 1 of his games or SMT V since it's a game that has yet to be revealed so you can absolutely get why Sakurai would say you may not be familiar with who this is because we don't know enough about Nahobino as the game isn't out yet (and I'm even taking his english tweets to consideration here).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Video Footage of the Final Smash Brothers Ultimate Presentation (colorized, October 5th, 2021)
I've the best mash-up here for ya.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I dunno about the decision to mix the two (still don't know where Monster Dance is from) but I think the composition itself is really good.
Even with a good composition, combining a pretty mediocre CV song with one of the greatest songs in all of video games is still going to hurt that song overall.

I mean, they both play during the same situation but depend on day and night, which feels like the song transitions to night and day. Makes sense and it makes them both less repetitive as a result
If you're worried the loop on Bloody Tears is too short, Judgement already solved that issue:

I get that the team loves certain franchises a lot, but why cram in so many Castlevania, Mega Man, and FE remixes when you can see that Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi are limited to either one or zero remixes.
Because those franchises have WAY better music, straight up.

Like, it's not even a comparison. Castlevania and Mega Man DESTROY most other franchises when it comes to music.

The only other franchises that are anywhere near on that level are Final Fantasy and Street Fighter. Who are both still lacking in Smash(even after Sephiroth) due to their music being limited to a single game.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

After a few years, this will all be over in 1 day, and man Sakurai's tweets really make me want to believe he's referring to Zagreus. It was actually not that long ago Hades was officially released in Japan this June, and at the time of its full release in 2020, it was 1 of the most critically acclaimed games of that year that amassed a big following and even won a few awards at TGAs and such.

Though with that tweet, it pretty much wrote off any hope in a Koei-Tecmo rep now, which I've pretty much accepted at this point. It's a shame none of their games were ever considered for a Challenger Pack. Now, I'll just stick with either a Toby Fox game because it feels fitting for it to end on 1 of his games or SMT V since it's a game that has yet to be revealed so you can absolutely get why Sakurai would say you may not be familiar with who this is because we don't know enough about Nahobino as the game isn't out yet (and I'm even taking his english tweets to consideration here).
For Zagreus, I think his game was released too late either way, unless Nintendo choose him based on the pc early access which I doubt.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know from my point of view, i still view Smash 4 and Smash ultimate as one big game, the last piece of Smash 4 content dropped in 2016, 2018 was when Ultimate started so it's practically been a constant stream of Smash for so long.

So thinking that the long road is almost over is ****ing wild. When Smash 4 was revealed and we got Megaman, i thought it couldn't get any better for third parties, Megaman was one of my childhood icons, and now that were reaching the end of Ultimate we've ended up with most franchises i'm a fan of being in the game in some form or another, barring some i got into in the past couple years.
Crazy to think that it ends tomorrow.

Emotional ending music is go.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just saying, this is how I see everyone arriving to the Final Presentation for the Last Challenger. While not exactly the results, but it is the setting that almost makes sense.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Let's go. DanSorhiefrash as the final character! It's obviously going to be that character!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway if a leak happens

Tag me if it’s someone I want and put who it is in a spoiler box

those being

Octoling, Off the Hook, Neku, Reimu, LoL, or in the 1% chance it somehow happens, Elma. Hence the 1% for her

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wanted to comment on this

You'd be surprised. While I'm sure Sonic is known of in Japan, the Difference in Popularity between Japan and other regions of the World is actually a very large gap, and has been a thing since even the First Sonic Game

Whatever sales a Sonic game does in the West for Example, You can probably 1/8, or even more of that of the sales, which would be the Sales in Japan

As an example, Sonic Colors, the game that was said to have brought Sonic back to the Limelight and was a Classic on the Wii, only did like 10,000 Sales there, which is not the best.

As an early example, Sonic 2, which sold millions in other Regions, only sold 160,000. I had actually thought the Classic Era games were the most successful ones in Japan, but it is actually SA1 and SA2, which had around 500,000 and 400,000 sold respectfully. That's really good for Sonic, but that's actually the height of the Series in sales, and that doesn't scream Block Buster Iconic hit that the West sales will tell of

As an example, that's around the level of Banjo and Kazooie's sales, which was around 400,000, and people considered Banjo more of a Niche character in the West. It's also less than Crash, which had a Million seller, unlike Sonic.

Sonic Adventure 2 in Particular is a well regarded game there, but since it's about 2 Decades old, and it hasn't be released on Nintendo platforms since it's initial re-release on Gamecube, newer gamers might not be as familiar

It's also worth nothing that the 3rd Season of Sonic X was due to wanting to give more for the West, not Japan. I'm sure it aired there, but the reason Season 3 exists is because of the Western side of things

EDIT: Season 3 actually never made it to Japan apparently, which just proves the point even further

This is something I've taken note of when I've speculated on Shadow. I know that i've debated against the other arguments like Shadow being an Assist, "He could only be an Echo", and other Sonic characters, but I think the main thing I can't debate is that Sonic as a franchise is very niche in Japan, especially when you compare it to the Pedigree of it's status in the West. I believe I have mentioned it in the past that this could be a Deciding factor in Nintendo being apprehensive of Choosing Another Sonic character, but If I didn't, I have done so now

Now Sonic is no Rayman or Spyro in Nichehood, and it's especially not no Mortal Kombat, as even though Sonic is more of a Niche in Japan, Sega still of course shows support for the Japanese audience there. But I think the advent of the Tweet implying a More Western focused character does fit Sonic to a T, despite being owned by a Japanese Company
Keep in mind Sonic came in first on the Brawl poll, which was Japan-only.

I know all paths lead to Shadow with you, but Sonic the series isn’t a good example.

Also, people consider Banjo a niche series because it’s been over twenty years since it was a notable success, not because it was never a big deal. The Sonic series never went away like Banjo did.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Preparing everyone of when it will go live. Time zones can be confusing at times.
Wouldn't "live in X hours" suffice instead of "hey it's live...SIKE!"?

On the other hand, the much more annoying thing is the "live in X hours" message since (I assume) it operates on a timer that it doesn't show us completely until it gets closer so it's like "live in 5 hours" when it's really live in 6, and then near the end it'll jump to 150 minutes or something silly like that. 'Cuz you know: I totally know how long 150 minutes is besides the fact that it's over an hour.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Honestly, the biggest disappointment with Ultimate's remixes isn't the remixes themselves, but rather how they were distributed between the franchises. Some are extremely lopsided compared to others.

I get that the team loves certain franchises a lot, but why cram in so many Castlevania, Mega Man, and FE remixes when you can see that Star Fox, WarioWare, and Yoshi are limited to either one or zero remixes. It's like some franchises are just copy-and-pasted from Smash 4 while others get remixes from both new and old titles. Makes you feel like you were forgotten about if you happen to be a fan of one of those series.
Keeping it a whole stack, Mega Man and Castlevaina have MUCH better music than WarioWare and Yoshi. The former two have a reputation for it. Not many people are gonna bump the Yoshi's New Island OST bro. Fire Emblem had new characters, who needed new music. I still think the Final boss of YI1 should have been added tho.

Street Fighter could've used music outside of SF2 and SSF2. And we really don't need like 14 versions of the main Legend of Zelda theme when there's other tracks in the franchise that could've been used.

D

Deleted member

For Zagreus, I think his game was released too late either way, unless Nintendo choose him based on the pc early access which I doubt.
My whole thought process for this was for me to make hypotheticals around Hades and Ultimate's DLC cycle with the following events taking place:

-created by a fairly established Indie Studio known as Supergiant, the devs behind Bastion and Transistor
-revealed on the same event Joker was revealed as the first DLC character in the first ever Fighters Pass
-released on the same month as an Early Access title with 1 year exclusivity to the Epic Games Store as Epic started getting serious about becoming the alternative to Steam
-fully released as a timed switch exclusive game with cross-saves to transfer data from PC to console
-became widely praised and critically acclaimed by reviewers and players alike and won a couple of awards

If it does happen to be true, I'd like to think Nintendo caught wind of Hades at the Game Awards, and after sometime before finalizing Vol 2, they were very interested in the game because the devs were already a fairly well known and established studio and also had a very unique gameplay element to it. Overtime, they may have really wanted Hades to be on the Switch as it released and maybe were also very high on its potential that they decided to take a risk and add Zagreus to Smash. Sakurai and his team wouldn't have had the need to use an early build of the game like Three Houses because Hades was released as an early access title, making it far more accessible for them. Is it not believable? Sure, but all I can do is hope the circumstances are indeed true even if it may not be as accurate to how it might've actually went.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The biggest victim of underwhelming music inclusion to me is Sonic.

The whole series has a masterclass of music (hell they did damn symphony of it recently) and Smash doesn't scratch the surface of it.

And honestly... the Donkey Kong series didn't do that much better; the only reason Sonic has it worse is the sheer multitude of games makes the latter's music absences all the more glaring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom