• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Currently only Terry (albeit in someone else's Presents), Byleth, and Min Min are the only DLC fighters so far that were revealed in a Sakurai Presents. Two out of three of them are first party.
Terry was revealed in the September Direct though. Banjo's presentation only showed some gameplay of Terry, but we already knew he was coming.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
OH MY GOD THERE'S MORE TRACKS THAN CASTLEVANIA.

sees track selection
Cries in Dudley's theme.

Most of Woolly World's soundtrack is great.

New Island's music wasn't good, but that doesn't make the rest of the great music in the series go away.

It's a genuine complaint that I'd like to see them fix going forward.

Yes, I get that there's far more franchises in Smash than there was back in Brawl, but it still stings to be a fan of one of these franchises, speculate which remixes you might see, and then purchase the game only to find out that there really isn't anything new aside from a few new songs they ported. Better than nothing, but they really couldn't distribute their time and resources better so you could get at least one remix?
I feel like Sakurai legit has a thing against Warioland lol

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Any news or "leaks" so far?
Nothing credible, as far as I know. Hopefully it stays that way.

Personally, I believe this last character is a third-party. I just don't think Sakurai would invite "gamers in general" if this were a Nintendo character.
Here's hoping - all of the third party choices have been great so far, at least in my eyes.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really hope they add Bowser in the future. Like, you can make it kinda cutesey to fit with Super Happy Tree or whatever but it should at least be there.

I feel like Sakurai legit has a thing against Warioland lol
You know it's bad when the only Wario Land song in the game is, a remix of his victory fanfare. (No really, The Ruins was made as a request to compose a song that's like Wario's victory fanfare rather than the fanfare being made from The Ruins. It's crazy.)

Also the only other Wario Land thing is a single Spirit IIRC (there might be a Captain Syrup Spirit as well, but I don't remember. Still that would make only 2).

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Personally, I believe this last character is a third-party. I just don't think Sakurai would invite "gamers in general" if this were a Nintendo character.
Im gonna jinx it now.

I think we are gonna see the Mobile FE Heroes character, hence referencing those who don't play Nintendo games and just "Gamers In General" (because i doubt the number of FE Heroes players is equal in any way to the Main FE games)

Ivander

Smash Legend
people complaining about music Wimps...

Meanwhile, I have next to no issue with the majority of video game music. The only times when I have an issue is when it's something meant to be heart pumping and bombastic, but it's very quiet. That is my biggest complaint with some video game music soundtracks lately, especially the Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 HD Remix soundtracks. Most of the battle tracks, and tracks in general, are much too quiet. And a couple of Smash music tracks do suffer from it. Like they are still good, but like...not exactly heart-pumping and bombastic.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Y’know it was almost certainly the original intention not to have any of the previous reveals done via Smash presentation. Byleth seems to have been delayed and 2020 had no normal directs or E3.
Delay or not, was holding off on revealing Byleth for a random Smash presentation in January instead of TGAs really a bad decision?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Also the only other Wario Land thing is a single Spirit IIRC (there might be a Captain Syrup Spirit as well, but I don't remember. Still that would make only 2).
Technically there are three: Captain Syrup, Shake King, and Princess Shokora from Wario Land 4.

And Count Cannoli, depending on where Master of Disguise falls since it's technically neither since it doesn't have Land or Ware in its title?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
:ultjoker: : I’ll Face Myself
:ulthero2:: lmao they didnt come with music
:ultbanjokazooie:: Klungo’s Theme
:ult_terry:: Never bothered to listen to the music, sorry
:ultbyleth:: Good ol’ Edge of Dawn

:ultminmin: Via ****ing Dolce
:ultsteve:: didnt listen to the music
:ultsephiroth:: Aerith’s Theme (Also best DLC song, as if Sepiroth’s pack wasn’t all-around the best already)
:ultmythra:: I ‘unno. Did they come with Mor Ardain: Roaming the Wastelands?
:ultkazuya:: the yodel song

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright. This is it, the final LoLpost I'll be able to make before the reveal. Had to cut a few names from the end list, but I'm confident these three were the bigger icons from the 8 that were originally left to cover. (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)

Same as always, I'll cover each Champion's passive and 4 active Abilities. If you want to see images, please search for them yoursef, otherwise this post would make mobile users' life hell.

It's impossible to talk about the most popular LoL Champions without mentioning Lux. Ever since her Elementalist skin was released, she's kinda become a golden girl of League, to the point where even Riot jokes about "you wanted more skins for X? nah, here's more Lux skins!" from time to time. Speaking of, she's got a total of 14, if you count Prestige Editions.

This means she's in the top 5 for most skins, tied with Alistar and just below Ezreal and Miss Fortune, who have 15. Star Guardian and the aforementioned Elementalist Lux, in particular, kinda changed the way LoL did events and skins, so it's kind of impressive.

Lore-wise, she's... not bad, actually. Lux, or Luxanna if you want her full name, is a Crownguard, a traditional family in Demacia which helped protect its kings and queens for many generations. There's just one problem. Lux is a mage, being able to bend light to her will. And Demacia hates mages, to the point of conducting crusade-style capturing and imprisonment of mages. It's such a big thing in Demacia that even Lux' family name wouldn't save her from persecution if she were to be found out. So she's had to hide her powers for most of her life, with no one teaching her how to use them either.

It goes a lot further than that, but if you're interested, I suggest reading her comic for the full story.

Playstyle-wise, Lux is a relatively beginner-friendly mage who relies a bit more on crowd control compared to someone like Ahri or Annie, who are burst mages. In fact, that utility means she's sometimes used as a support - though the utility of that becomes a bit debatable depending on how high-elo you are, it seems.

Lux' passive is Illumination. All of her abilities mark the target with light for a few seconds, while basic attacks (and her Ult) detonate that mark, dealing bonus damage. Imo this would be a very easy translation for Smash, with specials marking the target and normals consuming the mark. And since Lux is a mage, I'd imagine most of her normals would be either staff strikes or short-ranged light bursts, kinda similar to Palutena.

For her four active abilities, Lux has Light Binding, Prismatic Barrier, Lucent Singularity and her Ultimate, Final Spark.

Light Binding makes Lux release a sphere of light in a certain direction. It deals damage to enemies hit and briefly roots (stuns) them. Note that Root and Stun are two different effects in League, but in Smash I'm assuming it would just be a regular stun. The projectile's hitbox isn't particularly big and it moves somewhat slowly, which helps balance out the lack of charge, like with ZSS' paralyzer.

Prismatic Barrier makes Lux thow her wand forward while casting a shield around herself. If the wand touches an ally, that ally is shielded too. If I'm being honest, at best this move would be turned into a recovery with invincibility. Like, Lux throws out the wand and then teleports to that location while immune to damage (the shield).

Imo a support move like that would be weird in a fighting game, especially considering that specials are mostly pretty spammable and that the shield would theoretically refresh with every use. Unless she has a Mana gauge, of course, but even then, I think it would either be really broken or really useless.

Lucent Singularity is another move with crowd control purposes: Lux creates an area of twisted light at a select location for a few seconds. Enemies inside are slowed. If the ability is used again (or automatically, after a few seconds), the AoE explodes, dealing damage. The slowing effect also lingers for a second after the Singularity's detonation.

Much like Ekko, I think this move would pretty much require a Mana bar for balancing purposes. Though you wouldn't be able to immediately fireoff multiple of these, so there's that to consider.

And last but not least, Final Spark. Since I know SharkLord SharkLord reads these, a bit of trivia: this move (as well as the idea behind the Sorceress Lux skin, if I'm not mistaken) is directly inspired by Marisa Kirisame from Touhou. Lux shoots a big ass laser in a straight line, damaging anyone in the path as well as granting sight of that area. And like said before, it detonates any marks from Illumination. Pretty cut-and-dry FS material, I'd say.

Overall, I'd say Lux' chances are pretty decent, actually. Though I don't exactly know how popular she is with the Chinese and Korean fanbases (who tend to focus on meta Champions only), I'd say she's overall become one of the poster girls for League, getting a lot of attention and push.

The man(?), the meme, the trap-slinging killing machine. Teemo has been a little meme of League for a long time, though he was never really good in competitive, from what I can tell. It should be said that he's never been outright bad either, which basically means a good Teemo player can be annoying as all **** to play against. He' got a decent amount of attention from Riot and is technically part of that 10-year Annieversary skin I mentioned in the first post (Annie's teddy bear Tibbers is basically cosplaying as him).

As for his lore, well...
Teemo rides a thin line between chipper compatriot and unrepentant killer, but there's no one else I'd rather have as a friend. - Tristana
Despite his genuinely warm personality, something switches off inside Teemo's mind during combat so that the lives he must end while on patrol do not burden him. - LoL Wiki
I think these line says it all, really. Teemo is a Yordle, a small furry species from Runeterra that lives on the boundary of the Spirit Realm, in a place called Bandle City. There, Teemo is a Bandle City Scout. Though there's nothing wrong with him at first, and Teemo is usually pretty amiable, he's extremely competent as a soldier.

This translates to his playstyle in the form of what we like to refer as "lane bullying". Teemo is a mix of Marksman and Assassin, meaning he's quite squishy, but if you underestimate him, he's going to wear you down and force you to either die or retreat to base.

Teemo's Passive is Guerrilla Warfare. When Teemo stays for 1.5 seconds without moving, attacking, taking damage or stuns, or performing any generally interrupting action, he automatically turns invisible - though not intangible. If he's inside a brush (which you can see all over the Rift map), then he can move inside it without breaking stealth. Additionally, the moment he exits stealth, he gains bonus attack speed.

So basically: this would either be completely useless or completely broken. I don't think it's an ability that adapts well to a fighting game at all, even if said fighting game is also a party game. I remember someone a few months ago proposed in the LoL thread that maybe Teemo could spawn brush, but what's the point if your enemy can see you spawning the brush? I have no idea how you could make this function properly, and I think it's such a trademark part of Teemo that I'm actually asking that question to you: do you think there's a way to do this at all?

Teemo's four Abilities are: Blinding Dart, Move Quick, Toxic Shot and his Ultimate, Noxious Trap.

Blinding Dart is a projectile fired directly at an enemy. Upon landing, it causes Blind - a status in which they miss all their basic attacks for the next few seconds. I can actually see this working in part - all you'd have to do to cause the "miss" effect is to make Teemo invincible to attacks from the characters that was hit.

Essentially like a Starman, but it's way less time and limited to only one character's normals (specials would still work as normal). The dart is pretty small too, so it's not like hitting would be as easy as in League. This is pretty much one of the moves that let Teemo trade in medium-to-close range. Or get out of trouble, if need be.

Move Quick is divided in two parts, one passive, one active. The passive part increases Teemo's speed if he hasn't been hit by other Champions or Turrets for the last few seconds. The active part (actual cast) doubles that same movement speed gain for a few more seconds, and prevents the buff from being lost for that duration.

Personally, I could see this either as a dash-esque side special with no hitbox, or a recovery in the vein of Pikachu's. Otherwise, nothing else to see here. This is Teemo's main tool for getting out of a bad trade or pursue a target that's almost finished by...

Toxic Shot. It's actually yet another Passive, except one that you level up and increase in intensity. All it does is increase the damage of Teemo's basic attacks... and cause them to imbue the target with poison for 4 seconds. The poison also refreshes for every subsequent attack Teemo hits. This is how you're supposed to kill as Teemo - wear them down until they can't fight back anymore. And while I love that effect in League... I'm not sure if most people would have fun with a character that causes the same effect as Joker's Eigaon on all, most, or even severa of their normals.

Noxious Trap is a pretty interesting Ultimate. Instead of one big attack, NT accumulates charges over time - up to 3. For every charge used, Teemo deloys a mushroom to the target area. Said mushroom becomes invisible after arming and lasts up to 5 minutes. upon being touched, they explode, slowing everyone close by, while also poisoning them for 4 seconds and revealing them on the map.

Additionally, the mushrooms bounce if thrown on top of one another and can be destroyed by basic attacks (so no differences from other trap specials in Smash in that regard).

Planting lots and lots of these over the Rift is a must for a Teemo player - I can't tell you guys how ****ing satisfying it is to hear "You have slain an enemy" and have it be on the other side of the ****ing map. That said, I dunno how it would work in terms of charges - three at once seems a bit much for Smash, so maybe just one - and placing a new mushroom detonates the first.

Overall, Teemo is definitely an iconic part of League, but at the same time it all hinges on how much of his playstyle and signature moves could get in Smash. You can't have the sweet without the ****ing toxic mushroom venom, y'know?

Speaking of ****ing toxic... man oh man. Wanna hear a fun fact? Yasuo would probably be one of the most played Champions in League, if it wasn't for the fact that he's got an insanely high ban rate.

It's hard for me to say what caused Yasuo to be this... infamous, let's say. Maybe it's the somewhat edgy style of his story (and no, I dont just mean his katana being forged by Man At Arms) - he's a vagabond blamed for a crime he didn't commit. Specifically, the murder of his own master. Yasuo set out to prove his innocence, but was chased by several swordsmen from Ionia, his country. These included his half-brother, who he was forced to kill with his own hands.

Maybe it's the fact that the character is not only prevalent, but has a high skill ceiling, and given how the, er, atmosphere of any ranked eSport can get heated, you can guess that a lot of Yasuo players out there got hot-headed, and that fame sort of extended to the character. Which generated the whole slew of "Our Yasuo/Their Yasuo" memes.

Or maybe it's because his kit seems deceptively simple, but from a high skill ceiling perspective can almost seem overtuned as all hell. For starters, you know how I've said that a Mana bar would help balance some of the Champions with resource management? Well, Yasuo does not use Mana at all. Instead, he has a Flow meter, wich fills while he walks on the field.

Yasuo's passive is Way of the Wanderer. Basically, Yasuo's crit chance is multiplied, but they deal less damage. Additionally, he has that previously mentioned Flow mechanic - the bar fills according to the distance Yasuo travels. At maximum stacks or when taking damage from an enemy, he consumes all of the Flow meter to temporarily shield himself.

Hoooooo boy. Right off the bat, we got Critical Hits and a shield - which I presume would just reduce damage taken in Smash. Even so, you already have two things that would make the character... not that positively received in terms of mechanics.

Thought that was all? Here's more. Yasuo's active abilities are Steel Tempest, Wind Wall, Sweeping Blade and Last Breath.

Steel Tempest is a sword thrust, not unlike Marth and Lucina's. It applies any on-hit effects of items you have (which is useless in Smash). The big differences, however, is that it's a lot faster, not a charge move, and if it hits, Steel Tempest transforms into a different move entirely.

You see, if Yasuo manages to hit this ability twice in six seconds, his next cast is temporarily substituted by a whirlwind that travels in a target direction, knocking enemies up. So basically, it's Marth's Shield Breaker, but a lot faster and without its namesake properties. If you hit it twice in quick succession, it turns into Mii Fighter's Gale Strike if you use it again in the next few seconds.

Wind Wall is exactly what it means. Yasuo creates a wall facing a certain direction. Said wall blocks all projectiles (not reflct, "just" block) and slowly moves forward over the course of roughly 4 seconds. It doesn't block people (or Yasuo himself) from going over it. though.

Sweeping Blade is the obvious recovery here. It's not unlike Sephiroth's Blade Dash, except the damage is dealt on arrival rather than on travel. Yasuo also dashes through any enemy in the way, if there is one.

Then there's the fact that each Sweeping Blade increases the next's base damage, capping at a 50% increase. And that if we're being true to form, Yasuo should be able to cancel it by buffering any other ability (specials). But I don't think he needs any of that. Do you? :roll:

And then we arrive at Last Breath. basically Omnislash with no big explosion at the end. Yasuo dashes to the nearest airborne target selected (I'd assume in Smash, you'd be able to do it on the ground too), knocks them up and starts hacking at them. Any targets knocked up close to the original will also be subjected to his blade.

Additionally, the Ultimate resets Steel Tempest's stacks and also maxes out his Flow Meter. Oh, and it grants him something called armor penetration for a few seconds (ignoring enemy defense values, basically). You could translate this effect by making him deal increased damage to shields, but c'mon. I don't think he needs it. Do you? :roll:

Well, there it is. That's Yasuo's full kit - complete with crits, shields, knock-ups, projectiles, dashes and a wall that fizzles out projectiles. And no resource management to keep it all in check with this one. So basically, if Sakurai and Nintendo wants salt, this is the way to go. Ending on a swordie? Check. Pick that makes fans of both Smash and LoL pissed? Check. Possibly overtuned as ****? Check.

With all that said, he's still a pretty popular Champion, and through all the salt, I have no doubt his loyal fans would be very happy with his inclusion.

And that's the top 10, peeps. It's probably all I can manage before tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who actually has the curiosity and patience to read these and learn a little bit about a game I don't think has a lot of overlap here.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, I have next to no issue with the majority of video game music. The only times when I have an issue is when it's something meant to be heart pumping and bombastic, but it's very quiet. That is my biggest complaint with some video game music soundtracks lately, especially the Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 HD Remix soundtracks. Most of the battle tracks, and tracks in general, are much too quiet. And a couple of Smash music tracks do suffer from it. Like they are still good, but like...not exactly heart-pumping and bombastic.
You mean like Hyrule Castle (Outside) where it's literally too quiet or like...The Roost?

Technically there are three: Captain Syrup, Shake King, and Princess Shokora from Wario Land 4.

And Count Cannoli, depending on where Master of Disguise falls since it's technically neither since it doesn't have Land or Ware in its title?
Ah OK, so that's better than I thought. We could have had some really funny Spirit Battles though. Like:
  • You fight Wario, but he's on fire.
  • You fight Wario, but he freezes periodically.
  • You fight Wario, but he floats away after a while.
I'm mostly joking, but it could have been done if they wanted to. lol

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Celebrating gaming? Japan might not know the character?

🦀GEN 8 REP DEAD!🦀

Wait...

OR IS IT?!

POKEMON BEING ADDED TO POKEMON UNITE TOMORROW?!

GOTTA BE A GEN 8 REP FOR CP11 THEN! IT'S OVER, GO HOME GUYS!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Alright. This is it, the final LoLpost I'll be able to make before the reveal. Had to cut a few names from the end list, but I'm confident these three were the bigger icons from the 8 that were originally left to cover. (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)

Same as always, I'll cover each Champion's passive and 4 active Abilities. If you want to see images, please search for them yoursef, otherwise this post would make mobile users' life hell.

It's impossible to talk about the most popular LoL Champions without mentioning Lux. Ever since her Elementalist skin was released, she's kinda become a golden girl of League, to the point where even Riot jokes about "you wanted more skins for X? nah, here's more Lux skins!" from time to time. Speaking of, she's got a total of 14, if you count Prestige Editions.

This means she's in the top 5 for most skins, tied with Alistar and just below Ezreal and Miss Fortune, who have 15. Star Guardian and the aforementioned Elementalist Lux, in particular, kinda changed the way LoL did events and skins, so it's kind of impressive.

Lore-wise, she's... not bad, actually. Lux, or Luxanna if you want her full name, is a Crownguard, a traditional family in Demacia which helped protect its kings and queens for many generations. There's just one problem. Lux is a mage, being able to bend light to her will. And Demacia hates mages, to the point of conducting crusade-style capturing and imprisonment of mages. It's such a big thing in Demacia that even Lux' family name wouldn't save her from persecution if she were to be found out. So she's had to hide her powers for most of her life, with no one teaching her how to use them either.

It goes a lot further than that, but if you're interested, I suggest reading her comic for the full story.

Playstyle-wise, Lux is a relatively beginner-friendly mage who relies a bit more on crowd control compared to someone like Ahri or Annie, who are burst mages. In fact, that utility means she's sometimes used as a support - though the utility of that becomes a bit debatable depending on how high-elo you are, it seems.

Lux' passive is Illumination. All of her abilities mark the target with light for a few seconds, while basic attacks (and her Ult) detonate that mark, dealing bonus damage. Imo this would be a very easy translation for Smash, with specials marking the target and normals consuming the mark. And since Lux is a mage, I'd imagine most of her normals would be either staff strikes or short-ranged light bursts, kinda similar to Palutena.

For her four active abilities, Lux has Light Binding, Prismatic Barrier, Lucent Singularity and her Ultimate, Final Spark.

Light Binding makes Lux release a sphere of light in a certain direction. It deals damage to enemies hit and briefly roots (stuns) them. Note that Root and Stun are two different effects in League, but in Smash I'm assuming it would just be a regular stun. The projectile's hitbox isn't particularly big and it moves somewhat slowly, which helps balance out the lack of charge, like with ZSS' paralyzer.

Prismatic Barrier makes Lux thow her wand forward while casting a shield around herself. If the wand touches an ally, that ally is shielded too. If I'm being honest, at best this move would be turned into a recovery with invincibility. Like, Lux throws out the wand and then teleports to that location while immune to damage (the shield).

Imo a support move like that would be weird in a fighting game, especially considering that specials are mostly pretty spammable and that the shield would theoretically refresh with every use. Unless she has a Mana gauge, of course, but even then, I think it would either be really broken or really useless.

Lucent Singularity is another move with crowd control purposes: Lux creates an area of twisted light at a select location for a few seconds. Enemies inside are slowed. If the ability is used again (or automatically, after a few seconds), the AoE explodes, dealing damage. The slowing effect also lingers for a second after the Singularity's detonation.

Much like Ekko, I think this move would pretty much require a Mana bar for balancing purposes. Though you wouldn't be able to immediately fireoff multiple of these, so there's that to consider.

And last but not least, Final Spark. Since I know SharkLord SharkLord reads these, a bit of trivia: this move (as well as the idea behind the Sorceress Lux skin, if I'm not mistaken) is directly inspired by Marisa Kirisame from Touhou. Lux shoots a big ass laser in a straight line, damaging anyone in the path as well as granting sight of that area. And like said before, it detonates any marks from Illumination. Pretty cut-and-dry FS material, I'd say.

Overall, I'd say Lux' chances are pretty decent, actually. Though I don't exactly know how popular she is with the Chinese and Korean fanbases (who tend to focus on meta Champions only), I'd say she's overall become one of the poster girls for League, getting a lot of attention and push.

The man(?), the meme, the trap-slinging killing machine. Teemo has been a little meme of League for a long time, though he was never really good in competitive, from what I can tell. It should be said that he's never been outright bad either, which basically means a good Teemo player can be annoying as all **** to play against. He' got a decent amount of attention from Riot and is technically part of that 10-year Annieversary skin I mentioned in the first post (Annie's teddy bear Tibbers is basically cosplaying as him).

As for his lore, well...

I think these line says it all, really. Teemo is a Yordle, a small furry species from Runeterra that lives on the boundary of the Spirit Realm, in a place called Bandle City. There, Teemo is a Bandle City Scout. Though there's nothing wrong with him at first, and Teemo is usually pretty amiable, he's extremely competent as a soldier.

This translates to his playstyle in the form of what we like to refer as "lane bullying". Teemo is a mix of Marksman and Assassin, meaning he's quite squishy, but if you underestimate him, he's going to wear you down and force you to either die or retreat to base.

Teemo's Passive is Guerrilla Warfare. When Teemo stays for 1.5 seconds without moving, attacking, taking damage or stuns, or performing any generally interrupting action, he automatically turns invisible - though not intangible. If he's inside a brush (which you can see all over the Rift map), then he can move inside it without breaking stealth. Additionally, the moment he exits stealth, he gains bonus attack speed.

So basically: this would either be completely useless or completely broken. I don't think it's an ability that adapts well to a fighting game at all, even if said fighting game is also a party game. I remember someone a few months ago proposed in the LoL thread that maybe Teemo could spawn brush, but what's the point if your enemy can see you spawning the brush? I have no idea how you could make this function properly, and I think it's such a trademark part of Teemo that I'm actually asking that question to you: do you think there's a way to do this at all?

Teemo's four Abilities are: Blinding Dart, Move Quick, Toxic Shot and his Ultimate, Noxious Trap.

Blinding Dart is a projectile fired directly at an enemy. Upon landing, it causes Blind - a status in which they miss all their basic attacks for the next few seconds. I can actually see this working in part - all you'd have to do to cause the "miss" effect is to make Teemo invincible to attacks from the characters that was hit.

Essentially like a Starman, but it's way less time and limited to only one character's normals (specials would still work as normal). The dart is pretty small too, so it's not like hitting would be as easy as in League. This is pretty much one of the moves that let Teemo trade in medium-to-close range. Or get out of trouble, if need be.

Move Quick is divided in two parts, one passive, one active. The passive part increases Teemo's speed if he hasn't been hit by other Champions or Turrets for the last few seconds. The active part (actual cast) doubles that same movement speed gain for a few more seconds, and prevents the buff from being lost for that duration.

Personally, I could see this either as a dash-esque side special with no hitbox, or a recovery in the vein of Pikachu's. Otherwise, nothing else to see here. This is Teemo's main tool for getting out of a bad trade or pursue a target that's almost finished by...

Toxic Shot. It's actually yet another Passive, except one that you level up and increase in intensity. All it does is increase the damage of Teemo's basic attacks... and cause them to imbue the target with poison for 4 seconds. The poison also refreshes for every subsequent attack Teemo hits. This is how you're supposed to kill as Teemo - wear them down until they can't fight back anymore. And while I love that effect in League... I'm not sure if most people would have fun with a character that causes the same effect as Joker's Eigaon on all, most, or even severa of their normals.

Noxious Trap is a pretty interesting Ultimate. Instead of one big attack, NT accumulates charges over time - up to 3. For every charge used, Teemo deloys a mushroom to the target area. Said mushroom becomes invisible after arming and lasts up to 5 minutes. upon being touched, they explode, slowing everyone close by, while also poisoning them for 4 seconds and revealing them on the map.

Additionally, the mushrooms bounce if thrown on top of one another and can be destroyed by basic attacks (so no differences from other trap specials in Smash in that regard).

Planting lots and lots of these over the Rift is a must for a Teemo player - I can't tell you guys how ****ing satisfying it is to hear "You have slain an enemy" and have it be on the other side of the ****ing map. That said, I dunno how it would work in terms of charges - three at once seems a bit much for Smash, so maybe just one - and placing a new mushroom detonates the first.

Overall, Teemo is definitely an iconic part of League, but at the same time it all hinges on how much of his playstyle and signature moves could get in Smash. You can't have the sweet without the ****ing toxic mushroom venom, y'know?

Speaking of ****ing toxic... man oh man. Wanna hear a fun fact? Yasuo would probably be one of the most played Champions in League, if it wasn't for the fact that he's got an insanely high ban rate.

It's hard for me to say what caused Yasuo to be this... infamous, let's say. Maybe it's the somewhat edgy style of his story (and no, I dont just mean his katana being forged by Man At Arms) - he's a vagabond blamed for a crime he didn't commit. Specifically, the murder of his own master. Yasuo set out to prove his innocence, but was chased by several swordsmen from Ionia, his country. These included his half-brother, who he was forced to kill with his own hands.

Maybe it's the fact that the character is not only prevalent, but has a high skill ceiling, and given how the, er, atmosphere of any ranked eSport can get heated, you can guess that a lot of Yasuo players out there got hot-headed, and that fame sort of extended to the character. Which generated the whole slew of "Our Yasuo/Their Yasuo" memes.

Or maybe it's because his kit seems deceptively simple, but from a high skill ceiling perspective can almost seem overtuned as all hell. For starters, you know how I've said that a Mana bar would help balance some of the Champions with resource management? Well, Yasuo does not use Mana at all. Instead, he has a Flow meter, wich fills while he walks on the field.

Yasuo's passive is Way of the Wanderer. Basically, Yasuo's crit chance is multiplied, but they deal less damage. Additionally, he has that previously mentioned Flow mechanic - the bar fills according to the distance Yasuo travels. At maximum stacks or when taking damage from an enemy, he consumes all of the Flow meter to temporarily shield himself.

Hoooooo boy. Right off the bat, we got Critical Hits and a shield - which I presume would just reduce damage taken in Smash. Even so, you already have two things that would make the character... not that positively received in terms of mechanics.

Thought that was all? Here's more. Yasuo's active abilities are Steel Tempest, Wind Wall, Sweeping Blade and Last Breath.

Steel Tempest is a sword thrust, not unlike Marth and Lucina's. It applies any on-hit effects of items you have (which is useless in Smash). The big differences, however, is that it's a lot faster, not a charge move, and if it hits, Steel Tempest transforms into a different move entirely.

You see, if Yasuo manages to hit this ability twice in six seconds, his next cast is temporarily substituted by a whirlwind that travels in a target direction, knocking enemies up. So basically, it's Marth's Shield Breaker, but a lot faster and without its namesake properties. If you hit it twice in quick succession, it turns into Mii Fighter's Gale Strike if you use it again in the next few seconds.

Wind Wall is exactly what it means. Yasuo creates a wall facing a certain direction. Said wall blocks all projectiles (not reflct, "just" block) and slowly moves forward over the course of roughly 4 seconds. It doesn't block people (or Yasuo himself) from going over it. though.

Sweeping Blade is the obvious recovery here. It's not unlike Sephiroth's Blade Dash, except the damage is dealt on arrival rather than on travel. Yasuo also dashes through any enemy in the way, if there is one.

Then there's the fact that each Sweeping Blade increases the next's base damage, capping at a 50% increase. And that if we're being true to form, Yasuo should be able to cancel it by buffering any other ability (specials). But I don't think he needs any of that. Do you? :roll:

And then we arrive at Last Breath. basically Omnislash with no big explosion at the end. Yasuo dashes to the nearest airborne target selected (I'd assume in Smash, you'd be able to do it on the ground too), knocks them up and starts hacking at them. Any targets knocked up close to the original will also be subjected to his blade.

Additionally, the Ultimate resets Steel Tempest's stacks and also maxes out his Flow Meter. Oh, and it grants him something called armor penetration for a few seconds (ignoring enemy defense values, basically). You could translate this effect by making him deal increased damage to shields, but c'mon. I don't think he needs it. Do you? :roll:

Well, there it is. That's Yasuo's full kit - complete with crits, shields, knock-ups, projectiles, dashes and a wall that fizzles out projectiles. And no resource management to keep it all in check with this one. So basically, if Sakurai and Nintendo wants salt, this is the way to go. Ending on a swordie? Check. Pick that makes fans of both Smash and LoL pissed? Check. Possibly overtuned as ****? Check.

With all that said, he's still a pretty popular Champion, and through all the salt, I have no doubt his loyal fans would be very happy with his inclusion.

And that's the top 10, peeps. It's probably all I can manage before tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who actually has the curiosity and patience to read these and learn a little bit about a game I don't think has a lot of overlap here.
Hey, got any names of Champions that you didn’t get to that I could research myself? I kinda get the gist of LoL but I just don’t know the top dogs. Thanks in advance!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Y’know it was almost certainly the original intention not to have any of the previous reveals done via Smash presentation. Byleth seems to have been delayed and 2020 had no normal directs or E3.
Steve was revealed in a livestream despite the possibility of a presentation reveal, so with him at least, there was clearly no intention of revealing him in his own presentation. Sephiroth could also have been revealed in his own presentation instead of the TGAs.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Welp

Less than 24 hours til the apocalypse.

I welcome it.
Nah man, we about to get sent into orbit.

Ignore the haters and come to terms with your pessimism and celebrate at the announcement tomorrow.

Stop letting how other people act or feel bring you down.

Shroob

Sup?

Ignore the haters and come to terms with your pessimism and celebrate at the announcement tomorrow.

I'm not pessimistic at all?

Apocalypse as in, ya know, the end, which is what's happening?

I've been waiting for this moment for 3 years.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Welp

Less than 24 hours til the apocalypse.

I welcome it.

This exchange made me think of No Control from The Spongebob Musical. (Watched an animatic of it because why not and hoo boy does it go way harder than I expected. Way better than it had any right to be.)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hey, got any names of Champions that you didn’t get to that I could research myself? I kinda get the gist of LoL but I just don’t know the top dogs. Thanks in advance!
Other iconic Champions? I'd say Akali, Lee Sin, Ryze, Katarina, Blitzcrank, Thresh, Braum, Miss Fortune, Vi, Caitlyn, maybe Camille, Evelynn and Nidalee if you're feeling a bit more curious than surface level research.

...Holy **** that was a lot of names actually lol.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Other iconic Champions? I'd say Akali, Lee Sin, Ryze, Katarina, Blitzcrank, Thresh, Braum, Miss Fortune, Vi, Caitlyn, maybe Camille, Evelynn and Nidalee if you're feeling a bit more curious than surface level research.

The only one that stuck out to me (other than Ahri since people mention her all the time) was the galaxy dragon and I can't even remember his name. lol

He's just the galaxy dragon and he's perfect on that concept alone.

Shroob

Sup?
The only one that stuck out to me (other than Ahri since people mention her all the time) was the galaxy dragon and I can't even remember his name. lol

Aurelion Sol

A character soo complex he has a less than 1% pick rate and they keep nerfing him anyway.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly if we're talking opinions on Ultimate's music, then one problem I have that I've never seen anyone else talk about is that I am honestly Not A Big Fan of the selection of new "misc." first-party remixes.

So, like, it's 11 new remixes from that category. Not a bad number at all, I will say! But the thing is, I really wish the quantity of the picks was matched by the quality of the picks because so much of it is just re-remixes of music tied to misc. stages. There are literally only 3 new remixes from this category that aren't tied to a stage - the Yuyuki, Codename STEAM and Snipperclips remixes. Now to be fair, these are all banger choices, but that just makes me even sadder cause I would've loved to see what they could have pulled out if the new misc remixes this time had more picks like that. The other 8 remixes are all from series represented by stages already, and honestly this could have at least been a bit better if the overwhelming majority of them weren't also retreading on tracks that were already featured in Smash.

They could have at least alleviated this problem a bit by going for some alternative choices within the stage-represented IP. There is such a thing as Nintendogs music other than the bathtime theme. There is such a thing as Pilotwings music other than Light Plane - I would have sold my soul for a remix of the skydiving theme. But no, it really has to be these tracks again.

Like, again, 11 remixes is a solid number, but when you take into account that not only do only 3 of them come from IP that aren't already repped by stages, but the other 8 are nearly all made up of music that was already featured in Smash to begin with....it just feels like a waste of potential.

If there's any upside to this, it's that the new Light Plane remix slaps

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Yesterday we were talking about Nunu & Willump too. It's a shame some Champions look great, but for one reason or another don't stick out as much as some of the more pushed names.

Aurelion Sol

A character soo complex he has a less than 1% pick rate and they keep nerfing him anyway.
Not to mention the one Champion that's canonically bad at hide and seek. :4pacman:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Listen to Halland/Dalarna, Clockwork Crafter, and The Arch-Illager. You'll thank me later.
I will! Thank you!

….you’re telling me Braum has a chance?

aww yeah

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Speaking of bad remixes, I still don't feel right they combined Bloody Tears with Monster Dance.
You're not alone, I agree with you.

I mean, the remix is cool and sounds good, but Bloody Tears is such a iconic song to the series that deserved to at least have a separate track for itself.

The Rondo of Blood one is still my favorite version of Bloody Tears.

Not really a complain though, just nitpicking a little bit.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Vi and Jinx just shot up straight to the top because they're getting their own animated show.
True. I hope Arcane turns out good.

….you’re telling me Braum has a chance?

aww yeah
To be clear here, he is a Support Champion. The very "handhold-esque" type too. So I wouldn't say too big of a chance.

But man, the guy is wholesome. I think people would unironically love an animated series about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom