• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Who do you think would make the most amount of people angry: Jonesy from Fortnite, Camilla from Fire Emblem or Cinderace from Pokemon?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Was it confirmed to be a mistranslation where Sakurai implied multiple characters in that tweet? The way I originally read it seemed to suggest that but I’m sure it had to be a mistranslation.
I mean

it could be the last character but they’re a duo

this is how Off the Hook (Pearl & Marina) wins.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
People saying that Sora is Overhyped after fighting for 3 years, people dissmissing him cuz "lol disney" is the biggest joke here.
Someone Overhyped would be someone who would just pop-up one day and then fade away, like Hayabusa did back in FP1.

Sora?
************ is trending for three years and now 10 days consecutively and you call that Overhyped?
What?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who do you think would make the most amount of people angry: Jonesy from Fortnite, Camilla from Fire Emblem or Cinderace from Pokemon?
Probably Fire Emblem is my guess. A Blizzard character would probably upset a lot of people for a different reason. Sadly I think mall of my top 3 most wanted characters would upset people for lack of relevance (Zegram, Magus, and the Battletoads).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People saying that Sora is Overhyped after fighting for 3 years, people dissmissing him cuz "lol disney" is the biggest joke here.
Someone Overhyped would be someone who would just pop-up one day and then fade away, like Hayabusa did back in FP1.

Sora?
************ is trending for three years and now 10 days consecutively and you call that Overhyped?
What?
Overhyped would imply that he's hyped more than he deserves, so...

Yes!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Cinderace would disappoint, Camilla would be too random not to be funny. Jonesy would absolutely anger the most people. I think Euden would be up there too

Could also be a Challenger Pack for a company that has little to no representation but then gets the SNK love treatment
Koei Tecmo 👀

D

Deleted member

Again, how is he hyped more than he deserve, if people genuinely want him for 3 years conssecutively, without going down?
I dunno man, how is that different than any other character people have genuinely wanted for the last three years? Or maybe even longer? Is he only valid because he ends up trending on Twitter?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
IMO, I think we're reading into too much into "you may not know this character and it may not be who you're expecting" thing. Unless we're getting a Steve-tier pick where the game they're from is incredibly iconic and mainstream, there will always be someone who doesn't recognize any character. I think this is him pre-maturely trying to soothe the inevitable bitter souls at this reveal rather than him "Japan hates him! How a 50-year old developer added a Western pick with one strange trick!".

Granted, the last time Sakurai noted that some people wouldn't know a character was Terry and the last time Sakurai wanted people to enter a direct with an open mind was Byleth, so... I guess if this does mean anything the character is at or below Terry's level in terms of recognizability and somewhat unpopular or disliked in the speculation community.

That being said, that's kind of a bummer, so I'm just going to stick with this really not meaning much for the character in question.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I dunno man, how is that different than any other character people have genuinely wanted for the last three years? Or maybe even longer? Is he only valid because he ends up trending on Twitter?
It's not anymore valid? No one said that it's more valid?
People who are like "Yurck Sora because he is overhyped" IS not Valid.
Your character is Valid as much as anyone else's character.

Just because one is popular and more wanted than another, means it's okay to hate or feel thar said character is overhyped?

All of those fans didnt just "want sora" because he is Hyped.

Like your character, support it. But dont spit on another just because you feel that another character is """"stealing"""" the attention from another when it's just people wanting something they want.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Sora would absolutely bore me, but I wouldn't mind considering I already got some fighters I wanted in. I'm just happy to watch the final presentation and see some silly Mii Costume shenangians.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Just out of curiosity, if my hunch ends up being right and we actually did get the Battletoads as the final character(s), how would everyone here react? They are among my most wanted but I fear that a lot of people would be very disappointed if they made it in.

robot067

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3961-8884-7684
what if this last character is a Japanese company based character who’s popularity is 90% outside of Japan. Someone who’s franchise pulls in the sales in Europe and the west but doesn’t do that well or is relatively meh in Japan. It would be the next best thing if there isn’t another western rep in this pass.

90% of this pass is catered towards Japanese audience so maybe this last character is a Japanese based character but the audience it’s aimed at is outside Japan. I wouldn’t have a clue who it would be but 2 franchises I know personally they do meh in Japan but thrive outside Japan are

professor Layton and the sonic franchise.

there’s obviously more, I just can’t comment on those as in terms of 3rd party franchises they’re the only 2 that I follow a lot. They’ll be more though. Think of it though

Arms is catered towards Japan audience

Steve is catered towards western audience

sephiroth’s aimed towards Japan audience

kazuya is aimed towards Japan audience

and pyra/myphra is aimed at Japan audience (8 think)

if they never planed on having a 2nd western rep in this pass then the next best thing is a Japan character who’s popularity is based in Europe or the west and not Japan specifically.

I’m probably stretching a bit here. It just got me thinking after sakurai’s tweet about the last character potentially not being well known to Japan audience
Isaac 😳

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I see people taking sakurai’s “not that popular” tweet that was aimed at Japan as a potential way of saying it might be a western rep but I think there’s probably a different situation that people haven’t brought up.

what if this last character is a Japanese company based character who’s popularity is 90% outside of Japan. Someone who’s franchise pulls in the sales in Europe and the west but doesn’t do that well or is relatively meh in Japan. It would be the next best thing if there isn’t another western rep in this pass.

90% of this pass is catered towards Japanese audience so maybe this last character is a Japanese based character but the audience it’s aimed at is outside Japan. I wouldn’t have a clue who it would be but 2 franchises I know personally they do meh in Japan but thrive outside Japan are

professor Layton and the sonic franchise.

there’s obviously more, I just can’t comment on those as in terms of 3rd party franchises they’re the only 2 that I follow a lot. They’ll be more though. Think of it though

Arms is catered towards Japan audience

Steve is catered towards western audience

sephiroth’s aimed towards Japan audience

kazuya is aimed towards Japan audience

and pyra/myphra is aimed at Japan audience (8 think)

if they never planed on having a 2nd western rep in this pass then the next best thing is a Japan character who’s popularity is based in Europe or the west and not Japan specifically.

I’m probably stretching a bit here. It just got me thinking after sakurai’s tweet about the last character potentially not being well known to Japan audience
Unless we're getting a shillpick to promote Metroid Dread I'm not expecting this.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
No doubt my Kazuya post will get buried alongside all the other posts about him today, but no sense stopping on the last day.

KAZUYA:
This reveal was a bit of a rollercoaster. When the trailer started up and the first shot was Ganondorf my mind immediately jumped to a Zelda character. The fact that he was dead made me think he would be revived to reveal classic beast Ganon. Then a moment later I realized he was being carried towards a cliff by a buff man and was like "Oh **** this is Tekken". My friend recorded it, and you can hear me shout HEIHACHI seconds before the camera cuts to reveal Kazuya's smug smirk. So I was half right. Was still shocked that Tekken got something after the mii costume. Seeing Street Fighter, KoF, and Tekken all alongside each other in Smash is still mind blowing to me. Tekken is a super well deserved addition and getting to see Nintendo characters chucked into a volcano was a treat.

Kazuya's a lot of fun. Terry is still my favorite FGC character to play but man Kazuya's attacks feel meaty. Love how his brutal personality shines through his entire kit. The dramatic angels on throws are probably my favorite part. The Mishima Dojo stage is also one of my favorites from the DLC. Loves the aesthetic and the breakable walls. Plus the music is so, so goof. The Devil Kazuya remix is one of the best in the game period.

Kazuya's a solid addition and made for a great E3 pick. So glad these huge fighting games get to clash in Smash.

So with one more day before the final reveal, may as well do a final ranking. Once again I pretty much like all these characters and am indifferent towards Plant.

Sephiroth > Terry > Byleth > Banjo > Kazuya > Pyra/Mythra > Joker > Hero > Min Min > Steve > Plant

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't really think that tweet wrote in Japanese specifically would even exist if it were to be taken as a hint TBH. It's not really likely to go unnoticed if it were a hint IMO. While one could say it's odd, I don't think that necessarily implies anything. When it comes to taking other words as hints from these tweets, then yeah.. no..

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I just had a random thought about it being a TF2 character and I find that hilarious and big at the same time

Last edited:

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I’d have a hard time purchasing Jonesy from from Fortnite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom