• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
seems hes talking about hinting at the character via his pose which he was. i dont see anything thats similar to his "you may not know who this fighter is" comment.
Right, I agree. Just to clarify, the statement I was wondering if anyone had was the one kirbstr was referring to, not the content of those tweets, which was all I could find, and, like you said, don't mirror the ones we just got now.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
rudimentary google translate gives me something about a prophet? either way nothing like his comment that he made right now. dunno why someone is saying its exactly the same.
I think they are referring to what Sakurai said in the actual Presents before the reveal. It looks like it's not in the official upload on youtube, but here https://youtu.be/DVO5SdLDOGA?t=62 He says people might be surprised by the reveal and ask "wow really?" and then later says people might say "Thats not the character I was picturing".

Last edited:

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Right, I agree. Just to clarify, the statement I was wondering if anyone had was the one kirbstr was referring to, not the content of those tweets, which was all I could find, and, like you said, don't mirror the ones we just got now.
idk i recall him saying something along the lines of "can you guess who this character is? They might surprise you" prior to the byleth reveal and everyone was getting super excited like it would be some huge reveal. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Dw I'm in the same boat as you.

Been wracking my brain the last few minutes trying to think of a western character I'd be hyped for, and only 1 comes to mind: Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima. However I don't think he'd be likely.

I feel like a lot of people are going to be disappointed, mostly because their most wanted won't get in, but also the character in question could just be another "meh" character.

FP2 (at least to me) seemed to consist of more lukewarm reception for its characters compared to the first one, so I'm not really expecting to go out with a bang.

Sephiroth was the only notable one for me (and a lot of others too going by reactions), and I guess Steve as well, but that's just due to how popular Minecraft is.

The others were just ok.
I mean, on the chance it somehow is Master Chief?

You may not care for 'em, but I'd be hard pressed to say a lot of people will be disappointed tbh.

Assuming it's him, and not one of a various handful of other choices tbh.
FP2 was middle of the road for me. The only one who hyped me up was Sephiroth.

I’m not saying Chief wouldn’t be hyped for a lot of people. I’m sure he would be. But for me, not in the slightest.

Polan

Smash Lord
I think they are referring to what Sakurai said in the actual Presents before the reveal. It looks like it's not in the official upload on youtube, but here https://youtu.be/DVO5SdLDOGA?t=62 He says people might be surprised by the reveal and ask "wow really?" and then later says people might say "Thats not the character I was picturing".
well thats way different. for starters he said that to everyone. this comment is seemingly aimed at japanese players.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just woke up with 30 hours to go and apparently stuff has been said.

Can someone catch me up?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I mean, on the chance it somehow is Master Chief?

You may not care for 'em, but I'd be hard pressed to say a lot of people will be disappointed tbh.

Assuming it's him, and not one of a various handful of other choices tbh.
Depends.

Steve from Minecraft is from a huge game, yet from what I saw, it was mostly negative reception, or indifference, as opposed to widespread acclaim. Then again, it could be the forums I visit, but yes, mostly negative or indifference.

I don't think that just because a character is from a popular franchise, they'd be well received.

Dragon Quest is huge in Japan, but he was received ok in the west.

It could be vice versa this time (meh in Japan, but a huge applause in the west) Just saying is all.

Edit: I'm actually interesting in how long they will be balancing this game once the final character is out?

A couple months? Another year?

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Just woke up with 30 hours to go and apparently stuff has been said.

Can someone catch me up?
Sakurai tweeted something along the lines of "whether or not you know/expect this fighter, i hope you enjoy it" in a Japanese tweet, but the English tweet is a bit more hype. This has people speculating that it might be a character a bit more popular in the West than Japan (again, pure speculation)

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
well thats way different. for starters he said that to everyone. this comment is seemingly aimed at japanese players.
Well I wouldn't say him thinking people will say "thats not the character I was expecting" vs "It might be different from your personal expectations" is way different but yeah the difference is nothing was said about whether people would know Byleth or not and the fact the tweet was in Japanese only

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Depends.

Steve from Minecraft is from a huge game, yet from what I saw, it was mostly negative reception, or indifference, as opposed to widespread acclaim. Then again, it could be the forums I visit, but yes, mostly negative or indifference.

I don't think that just because a character is from a popular franchise, they'd be well received.

It could be vice versa this time (meh in Japan, but a huge applause in the west) Just saying is all.
That's 100% the forums you visit. Steve was a bit contentious, but I'd say his reveal and release was overall received much more positively than not.

Like, sure "Youtube likes" isn't a good metric to gauge by but

196k likes compared to 8.8k dislikes.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Well, since there's far more of us on here at this hour than usual (coupled with the fact that there's only one day left until the big day)...
When the next Smash game is revealed years from now, will anybody here plan on coming back to a thread like this to start the hype cycle with veteran and rookie users all over again? I reckon I might, this is the only social media platform I feel I can post on and not be judged too harshly.
I’ll definitely pop back in once smash 6 is coming out.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I missed some interesting stuff. There's apparently interesting Tweets by Sakurai and Harada?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Great, thank you!

The "wow really?" was in reference to employees not being given notice about Byleth, and, granted, this is my interpretation, but the "even if you say 'that's not the character I was picturing', I hope you don't have any hard feelings" seems more about anticipating the polarity of Byleth than insinuating the character wouldn't be known.

I mean, in this new tweet, he says "you may not know the new fighter". It's... a bit different. But of course, all we can do is wait and see.

idk i recall him saying something along the lines of "can you guess who this character is? They might surprise you" prior to the byleth reveal and everyone was getting super excited like it would be some huge reveal. Maybe I'm misremembering.
To be honest, that seems kind of a standard hype-building comment prior to the show. At least to me. I mean most of the characters have been surprising for one reason or another thus far.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I see people making these tweets out to mean that CP11 must be a non-1st party, non-Japanese character, but does it really have to be though? Isn't what people are reading into this basically just saying it'll be a character that would appeal more to or be a bigger deal to the west than the east? Or be something that is more unknown/niche to Japan? That doesn't necessarily HAVE to mean a western franchise.

I mean, isn't Isaac/Golden Sun (Japanese first party franchise) something that appeals much more to the West and Europe than it does Japan, or is a franchise that is (even more) unknown in Japan? I feel like I remember that being a thing.

There might be other examples of Japanese franchises and/or first party franchises that appeal more to the West than the East (Well, Metroid is another example but I don't really see any Pre-Dread character, or Dread character for that matter, making it in) but Golden Sun is the first thing that came to mind for me since I'm a big nerd for the series, so that's what I went with.

Of course I also feel people may reading way into this or misconstruing things as well.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Depends.

Edit: I'm actually interesting in how long they will be balancing this game once the final character is out?

A couple months? Another year?
Steve was mostly positive outside of hardcore Smash fans. His trailer and him on big social media had a lot of positive reception, with some neutral or negative but not as much as positive. More mixed than some others within core Smash circles but still.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
its definitely the forums you visit. steverino has the most likes in a trailer, even more than banjo whos sitting at 5 million views

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I woke up this morning at 4:30 AM. It's 5:19 AM right now. I don't know how that one happened. Perhaps a signal, given what happened to be unfolding... :187:

Last edited:

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Is there a possibility the wording is being taken out of context? I know that’s happened in the past with his tweets.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Is there a possibility the wording is being taken out of context? I know that’s happened in the past with his tweets.
Probably.
Either it's a very big troll that both Sakurai and Harada are doing.
Or it's just tempering expectation because of ALL of the choices and wishlist that everyone has,that even someone big would make people disappointed.
Or it's genuinely Western Based fighter.
Or not.

Hard to tell with Twitter

Kokiden

Smash Ace
That's 100% the forums you visit. Steve was a bit contentious, but I'd say his reveal and release was overall received much more positively than not.

Like, sure "Youtube likes" isn't a good metric to gauge by but

196k likes compared to 8.8k dislikes.
The forum also includes this one lol.

Well, anyway. If it truly is a western character, my final evaluation for FP2 would be quite poor, since Sepiroth is the only one noteworthy in it for me.

Other people are more than welcome to celebrate if they like the final character though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if it's an unexpected character that probably rules out Pokemon unless they've skipped Cinderace, Intelleon and Baboom and gone straight for the "got this moveset in my head and need to show it" picks like Dracovish or Falinks.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Great, thank you!

The "wow really?" was in reference to employees not being given notice about Byleth, and, granted, this is my interpretation, but the "even if you say 'that's not the character I was picturing', I hope you don't have any hard feelings" seems more about anticipating the polarity of Byleth than insinuating the character wouldn't be known.

I mean, in this new tweet, he says "you may not know the new fighter". It's... a bit different. But of course, all we can do is wait and see.

To be honest, that seems kind of a standard hype-building comment prior to the show. At least to me. I mean most of the characters have been surprising for one reason or another thus far.
Ah yeah that makes sense. It was a bit hard to hear in that video. Yeah nothing was said suggesting that Byleth would not be known but it seems like a similar tampering expectations line. I'm sure after the reveal we can all look back and see if the tweets really suggested anything or not.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Well if it's an unexpected character that probably rules out Pokemon unless they've skipped Cinderace, Intelleon and Baboom and gone straight for the "got this moveset in my head and need to show it" picks like Dracovish or Falinks.
Dracovish would be unironically sick. That's who we get in the "**** IT" timeline.

Shroob

Sup?
did people get pissy about steve here? i feel like banjo getting in before steve alleviated the salt. otherwise it would have been a dumpster fire.
Of course they did.

Between people just not wanting/liking Steve/Minecraft

Finding his design unappealing

Or just the age old boomer mindset of "Minecraft bad".

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I really don't think these tweets mean much. Sounds more to me like Sakurai is basically saying "hey all you casual gamers out there playing whatever! you might not know who this is, but you might think it's pretty cool, so tune in!"
Except Sakurai doesn't do this. Even on the announcement of Steve, who's one of the most casual-friendly newcomers they could've ever announced, he treated it like any other announcement.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
did people get pissy about steve here? i feel like banjo getting in before steve alleviated the salt. otherwise it would have been a dumpster fire.
I wouldn't say pissy (I'm certainly not).

Like I said, more lukewarm to meh / I don't care / indifferent.

I actually don't think most of the convos that take place here are that aggressive or dumpster fire in nature. Then again, I've frequented other hell holes so maybe I'm just desensitised. Other than a handful of names on here that I won't mention, it's pretty ok here.

I'll also mention that just because someone doesn't want a certain character, doesn't make them aggressive or pissy. It's alright to not want something too. Otherwise, this place will just be a unicorn, rainbow filled, echo chamber.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Me out of the blue at one in the morning: "this might just be the SWTOR talking but i am suddenly imagining a darth vader smash reveal trailer. hey let's go on the smashboards website and see if anything new is going on--"

is reminded that the reveal is tomorrow, six hours from now; if i go to sleep, i would need to wake up and very carefully look for the announcement video on youtube

Me: "aw ****, here we go again..."

My sleep schedule: "please, have mercy! D:"

Me: "THERE IS NO MERCY!" shoots it with force lightning

Shroob

Sup?
Me out of the blue at one in the morning: "this might just be the SWTOR talking but i am suddenly imagining a darth vader smash reveal trailer. hey let's go on the smashboards website and see if anything new is going on--"

is reminded that the reveal is tomorrow, six hours from now; if i go to sleep, i would need to wake up and very carefully look for the announcement video on youtube

Me: "aw ****, here we go again..."

My sleep schedule: "please, have mercy! D:"

Me: "THERE IS NO MERCY!" shoots it with force lightning
It's not 6 hours from now. It's 30 hours from now.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really think this points to a more western-oriented pick. Not just either tweet in a vacuum, but taking it all in. There'd be no other reason to really do this? To tell one region and not the other that they might not recognize the fighter? I say this with no big investment in the character being western - quite the contrary.

Either way, even with my MWs seemingly shot down by this... I'm pretty excited~!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom