• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Me out of the blue at one in the morning: "this might just be the SWTOR talking but i am suddenly imagining a darth vader smash reveal trailer. hey let's go on the smashboards website and see if anything new is going on--"

is reminded that the reveal is tomorrow, six hours from now; if i go to sleep, i would need to wake up and very carefully look for the announcement video on youtube

Me: "aw ****, here we go again..."

My sleep schedule: "please, have mercy! D:"

Me: "THERE IS NO MERCY!" shoots it with force lightning
Like Shroob said it's 30 hours from now
Liked for the Clone Wars reference tho

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I think they are referring to what Sakurai said in the actual Presents before the reveal. It looks like it's not in the official upload on youtube, but here https://youtu.be/DVO5SdLDOGA?t=62 He says people might be surprised by the reveal and ask "wow really?" and then later says people might say "Thats not the character I was picturing".
It's a little late (and very different) to be tempering expectations during the presentation itself.

In regards to whether it'll be Western or not: While the assumption is pure speculation, it's important to remember just how many Western reps have been shot down over the years for not being famous in Japan.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can get behind most of what was said plausibly just being hype building for the stream.

The one part I do think is pertinent is in the Japanese tweet when Sakurai says that people may not know the character. And while that, to some extent, is true for almost every character - he doesn't say it every time.

If it was a character like Sora, or a Pokemon, or Waluigi... I don't think that would warrant such a warning. Call it reading too deeply if you want... maybe it is. But that part stands out to me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I hate to say it, but now that I looked in the context of the Tweets, I have a thought

If Sakurai only told Japanese Audience they might not know who the character, but didn't do the same for Western fans, then I can see the idea people have brought up that this is a Western Focused character

But he also told people in the West perhaps not really into Smash, but perhaps still into Gaming to watch it anyway, Like they would know the character

If the game/Series the Character is from is more niche in Japan, but is something people are gonna know elsewhere, I got a some guesses

-If the Character is from Western Company, there's good amount that could technically fit. Rayman, League of Legends character, Mortal Kombat character (Scorpion), Even Crash and Master Chief as while they did have success in Japan in the Past (Especially Crash), not the same now

-If it's a Character from a Japanesse Company, There's one main guess I have. Another Sonic Character. Sonic has always been way more niche in Japan than in other Places. Besides the Classic Era, The Last time Sonic games were really successful there was SA1 and SA2. I believe 06 and Unleashed might have sold decently there, but starting with Colors Sonic is not Mainstream like that

I'm telling you guys, I might be winning here. Let's get it

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Probably.
Either it's a very big troll that both Sakurai and Harada are doing.
Or it's just tempering expectation because of ALL of the choices and wishlist that everyone has,that even someone big would make people disappointed.
Or it's genuinely Western Based fighter.
Or not.

Hard to tell with Twitter
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense as a general “Hey, the final reveal is coming up, don’t miss it! It may not be someone you want, but we hope you enjoy them anyway!”

It seems odd to drum up hype with a tweet that simultaneously is like “Don’t expect much.”

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense as a general “Hey, the final reveal is coming up, don’t miss it! It may not be someone you want, but we hope you enjoy them anyway!”

It seems odd to drum up hype with a tweet that simultaneously is like “Don’t expect much.”
But is that what the tweet is saying? It's merely telling Japanese audiences - "You might not recognize this fighter, but please tune in anyway."
The discrepancy between regions is very difficult to handwave away as mere "hype-building." But hey, as somebody whose MWs are all eastern picks, hopefully you're onto something! :p

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
But is that what the tweet is saying? It's merely telling Japanese audiences - "You might not recognize this fighter, but please tune in anyway."
The discrepancy between regions is very difficult to handwave away as mere "hype-building." But hey, as somebody whose MWs are all eastern picks, hopefully you're onto something! :p
Like I said earlier, I feel people are putting words in Sakurai's mouth and reading far too into it. Sakurai rarely tweets in English to begin with, so this could still be a general tweet, especially since I'm sure he knows his tweets get translated regardless.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
A somewhat well-know game mascot in the West who is known on sight by the wider gaming community, who isn't as popular in JP.
I'm actually trying to brainstorm in my mind who actually fits that mold... but no one comes to mind.

I suck at speculating lol.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
That’s what I’m getting at though, could this just be a loose mistranslation? It’s definitely happened in the past and things get taken out of context.

It doesn’t help we are all feral for information and have our tinfoil hats on. Something happens and we all immediately and feverishly dissect it like conspiracy theorist.

It just seems strange to tell one audience to basically take it down a notch, while telling a western audience get ready guys. It doesn’t seem like a smart business practice to do that.

In the same vain, if that is the case, why wasn’t it done with other non-Japan centric characters?

The whole thing seems off, and I don’t know entirely what to make of it. I’ll take it with a grain of salt because I think it’s just a general “You’re getting one more character. If it’s not who you thought or wanted it to be, we hope you’ll still enjoy playing with them.”

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Like I said earlier, I feel people are putting words in Sakurai's mouth and reading far too into it. Sakurai rarely tweets in English to begin with, so this could still be a general tweet, especially since I'm sure he knows his tweets get translated regardless.
I don't think there's anything wrong with people discussing what his words could potentially mean.

This is a speculation thread after all. If we didn't do this, there would be nothing to say lol.

I don't think any of the suggestions so far are that out of reach, so not sure why there is a stop sign being put on this.

People are quite literally interpreting his words exactly as they are: western audience was given one message, the Japanese audience, another. One is hype inducing, the other is trying to let down the audience gently.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Let's think about this for a quick moment; was Google Translate a core component in the translation job? It's not so good with perfectly translating non-Latin-originating languages.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
No, it was PushDustin, who's pretty much a professional translator.
Ah, it's always the ones you've known for years, but never expect because you're out of the loop more than you think...

On another, completely out of nowhere note, it seems like the Prankening has finally fully subsided... for now...

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Watch the music they play in the trailer be somethin Definitively-not-from-a-video-game like Bring Me to Life or Big Iron or The Monster Mash or a cover of one of those Nickelback songs that I hear so many terrible things about but have never actually heard or bothered to listen to but can probably imagine what it sounds like, preventing any of us from being able to figure out the character through music cues.

69 Quadrillion IQ Troll.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Let's think about this for a quick moment; was Google Translate a core component in the translation job? It's not so good with perfectly translating non-Latin-originating languages.
This might not mean much, but as someone who can read Japanese, it's not far off the mark this time with its core message.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If it is intended to be a hint, I'd say it's either someone really old...or really regional.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Even though it'll be drowned out, I think it needs to be said that

This is the final character, there's no more after this, and if you're riding high on the idea of a single character getting in for certain, get off that ride before you crash and burn.

It's better to go into things with a more cautionary belief than putting all your chips in a single basket, because when you inevitably crash and burn, you'll only have yourself to blame for feeling the way you do.

Is that true?
Yes, PushDustin lives in Japan and works as a translator, even being basically the one who translates many of Sakurai's interviews and has helped the Smash community break the language barrier.

However, see above. Don't go all doom and gloom, but 100% brace for disappointment. No one single character is guaranteed to get in, and if a character getting in or not is really causing you distress, take a step back for a bit.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here we are, a little over 24 hours near the end of it all, waiting for this whole thing to end and arguing over the creator's words...

And I'm just here, crudely recreating the Spaceship scene in the LEGO Movie as a storyboard for a college class...

I freakin' love you people.

This is the final character, there's no more after this, and if you're riding high on the idea of a single character getting in for certain, get off that ride before you crash and burn.

It's better to go into things with a more cautionary belief than putting all your chips in a single basket, because when you inevitably crash and burn, you'll only have yourself to blame for feeling the way you do.
Also, don't put others down for hoping for a character that conflicts with yours, whether it be due to likelihood, gameplay, artstyle, ad infinitum; it just makes you look like a jerk.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Yes, PushDustin lives in Japan and works as a translator, even being basically the one who translates many of Sakurai's interviews and has helped the Smash community break the language barrier.

However, see above. Don't go all doom and gloom, but 100% brace for disappointment. No one single character is guaranteed to get in, and if a character getting in or not is really causing you distress, take a step back for a bit.
I can't help it Shroob. I'm willing to Crash and Burn, even Record it on video . But with everything coming together, including the Recent Sakurai tweet directed at Japan, I'm going 100% on The Ultimate Lifeform being CP11.

I'm still not gonna believe it with my eyes if it turns out true, because I lived in this Reality for almost 20 years where Shadow wasn't playable in Smash Officially, and only be a thing in Mods, Fangames, or my Dreams. I also know that it's very likely for me to be wrong since there are so many characters out there and such, but I feel like If I don't go all in this time, I'm not being true to myself. I've posted about this character for 3 years now, Since Ultimate is really my first speculation cycle, and he's also the character I'm the most invested in getting in since he's my Most wanted.

If I Die, I rather Die hyping than Die cautious, cause I'm living when I'm hyping

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice

Ahh, that is telling. I knew vaguely of him just from Smash Speculation over the years.

I am fully prepared for disappointment. I knew that going into all of this. I’ll live. This isn’t my 13th reason. I’ll still get whoever the character is.

I just really, really want Sora, and I feel like it’s now or never with him.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't help it Shroob. I'm willing to Crash and Burn, even Record it on video . But with everything coming together, including the Recent Sakurai tweet directed at Japan, I'm going 100% on The Ultimate Lifeform being CP11.

I'm still not gonna believe it with my eyes if it turns out true, because I lived in this Reality for almost 20 years where Shadow wasn't playable in Smash Officially, and only be a thing in Mods, Fangames, or my Dreams. I also know that it's very likely for me to be wrong since there are so many characters out there and such, but I feel like If I don't go all in this time, I'm not being true to myself. I've posted about this character for 3 years now, Since Ultimate is really my first speculation cycle, and he's also the character I'm the most invested in getting in since he's my Most wanted.

If I Die, I rather Die hyping than Die cautious, cause I'm living when I'm hyping
I'm more directing this towards people who seemingly are distressed by these tweets and are trying to rationalize how this could just be "A mistranslation".

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Damn Sakurai with the western bias as usual. Give me Hatsune Miku you coward!

...Doom Slayer would be pretty cool too though.
So now Sakurai has a western bias?

I could've sworn it was a bias against the west a few years ago.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
God, I remember that whole debacle. One particular user on Youtube acted like Sakurai murdered someone close to them in cold blood, they despised pretty much every choice made in those days.
Smash fans when Sakurai doesn't negotiate with a company that primarily speaks in a foreign language

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Smash fans when Sakurai doesn't negotiate with a company that primarily speaks in a foreign language
Ironically the specific individual I'm referring to was explicitly livid about first party characters demanded by the west, like Ridley or King K. Whenever you watched a video with even a pip about Ridley, he'd be there, blatantly insulting Sakurai as if he were his mortal enemy (a bit like those "unknown rival" type characters that get on the rest of the cast's nerves).

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
Spyro, Rayman and Crash Bandicoot.
If the tweets truly are a signal to the Japanese audience that it’s someone they aren’t familiar with, and that it is a character more centered toward the west, I’m thinking it Doom Guy.

Apparently that series isn’t wildly popular in Japan, so a lot of players wouldn’t know who he is.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
If the tweets truly are a signal to the Japanese audience that it’s someone they aren’t familiar with, and that it is a character more centered toward the west, I’m thinking it Doom Guy.

Apparently that series isn’t wildly popular in Japan, so a lot of players wouldn’t know who he is.
There's a lot of western characters that aren't well known in Japan aside from Doom Guy though. Master Chief, Scorpion/Sub-Zero, Rayman, Assassin's Creed, Lara Croft, Arthur from Red Dead Redemption, Gordon Freeman etc.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
There's a lot of western characters that aren't well known in Japan aside from Doom Guy though. Master Chief, Scorpion/Sub-Zero, Rayman, Assassin's Creed, Lara Croft, Arthur from Red Dead Redemption, Gordon Freeman etc.
Yeah, Doom Guy's just one of many.

I could 100% see Doom Guy no doubt, but I could also see Master Chief, or any of the other mentioned above tbh.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
There's a lot of western characters that aren't well known in Japan aside from Doom Guy though. Master Chief, Scorpion/Sub-Zero, Rayman, Assassin's Creed, Lara Croft, Arthur from Red Dead Redemption etc.
Oh I know, I was thinking it could be Master Chief as well. Although apparently Halo is popular enough in Japan. Halo 3 at least from what I’m reading.

I can’t say I’m happy about it, but I know Master Chief or Doom Guy would both be massive additions to the roster. Especially for a western audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom