• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Let down by Olimar? That’s funny, he was my most wanted during Brawl speculation and made my whole experience.
I had a weird relationship with Pikmin. I played it when it first came out and for some reason couldn't get into it. I really need to go back and give the series another try.

7NATOR

Smash Master
On the topic of Gen 8 Pokemon, if they did add in a New Pokemon, it wouldn't be from a promotional Standpoint because Gen 8 game is old at this point, it would be from the angle of Appealing to people already playing the game or people that started Pokemon with Sword and Shield

I just don't know though. Sword and Shield did sell humongous Numbers, but Gen 8 Pokemon doesn't seem to be the most requested character among the fanbase, and also Pokemon fans did get Incineroar in the Base Roster. Then they also have to predict what Pokemon would be popular with the crowd (or just go with another Starter). I just think the Idea of Gen 8 Pokemon isn't the most concrete

They could add in Gen 4 or any of the Pokemon featured in Arceus if they want to promote, but I still kind of doubt that to be honest

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway Shout out to Legowallin on Smashfaqs, he had a pretty interesting idea

Video ends with "the next Super Smash Bros. game is in development" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Back during Brawl's Development, Sakurai wanted a Second Developer on Deck to develop Subspace, while the Main team develops the Rest of the game's content. That ended up not happening and The Brawl Dev team ended up having to develop both Subspace along with the rest of the game

If the idea was once thought of back then, could this same thing happen perhaps for Development of a New Smash game in the future? A Huge Story Mode can be a Big Selling point for the Next Smash game, and if it were to re-use Ultimate's Assets again, it should make the Development smooth and such. Nintendo is willing to Release Multiple Splatoon Games, Legend of Zelda Games, etc on the Switch. while Smash has only been released on Console to Console, Perhaps Precedent can be broken, especially since I think the Switch might have a Really long Lifecycle

Shroob

Sup?
On the topic of Gen 8 Pokemon, if they did add in a New Pokemon, it wouldn't be from a promotional Standpoint because Gen 8 game is old at this point, it would be from the angle of Appealing to people already playing the game or people that started Pokemon with Sword and Shield

I just don't know though. Sword and Shield did sell humongous Numbers, but Gen 8 Pokemon doesn't seem to be the most requested character among the fanbase, and also Pokemon fans did get Incineroar in the Base Roster. Then they also have to predict what Pokemon would be popular with the crowd (or just go with another Starter). I just think the Idea of Gen 8 Pokemon isn't the most concrete

They could add in Gen 4 or any of the Pokemon featured in Arceus if they want to promote, but I still kind of doubt that to be honest

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway Shout out to Legowallin on Smashfaqs, he had a pretty interesting idea

Video ends with "the next Super Smash Bros. game is in development" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Back during Brawl's Development, Sakurai wanted a Second Developer on Deck to develop Subspace, while the Main team develops the Rest of the game's content. That ended up not happening and The Brawl Dev team ended up having to develop both Subspace along with the rest of the game

If the idea was once thought of back then, could this same thing happen perhaps for Development of a New Smash game in the future? A Huge Story Mode can be a Big Selling point for the Next Smash game, and if it were to re-use Ultimate's Assets again, it should make the Development smooth and such. Nintendo is willing to Release Multiple Splatoon Games, Legend of Zelda Games, etc on the Switch. while Smash has only been released on Console to Console, Perhaps Precedent can be broken, especially since I think the Switch might have a Really long Lifecycle
I severely doubt we're going to see anything about a "Future" Smash, especially when Sakurai already basically said things were winding down in Kazuya's presentation.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder...If they did go "The Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games are the best selling Pokémon games by quite a bit so we should give them a character" would Sakurai necessarily go for a starter Pokémon? I mean, he probably wouldn't go for a random one, but he'd finally be able to take his pick from the entire Galar set, and use hindsight to his advantage. How likely do you think it is that he wouldn't pick one of the starters?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm still in the campo of fully expecting a Pokémon to be the last character. Seems like the kind of thing they would end on given past precedent

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder...If they did go "The Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games are the best selling Pokémon games by quite a bit so we should give them a character" would Sakurai necessarily go for a starter Pokémon? I mean, he probably wouldn't go for a random one, but he'd finally be able to take his pick from the entire Galar set, and use hindsight to his advantage. How likely do you think it is that he wouldn't pick one of the starters?
Depends tbh.

Pokemon in Smash tend to either be starters, or get a huge amount of anime popularity/marketing, like Lucario was.

As much as people push for Toxtricity as being a "Not a starter" choice, I really don't see TPC pushing Toxtricity hard at all tbh. Like, Dracovish is being pushed harder than it due to it being a member of Ash's current team.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Sakurai picks Dragapult because he’s based.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Depends tbh.

Pokemon in Smash tend to either be starters, or get a huge amount of anime popularity/marketing, like Lucario was.

As much as people push for Toxtricity as being a "Not a starter" choice, I really don't see TPC pushing Toxtricity hard at all tbh. Like, Dracovish is being pushed harder than it due to it being a member of Ash's current team.
So on that front it still kinda is just Cinderace as the only candidate huh...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I severely doubt we're going to see anything about a "Future" Smash, especially when Sakurai already basically said things were winding down in Kazuya's presentation.
Winding down for Ultimate. The next game could at the very least be in the super early planning phases

D

Deleted member

Oh boy, oh boy, Twitter just trended Sora again (though I'm just baffled how so many people are still rooting for such an ambiguous leak to this day).

Guaranteed support for a character that was just leaked with no hard evidence? This is bad comedy.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Winding down for Ultimate. The next game could at the very least be in the super early planning phases
That'd be pretty weird given how Sakurai stated that the continuous development cycle from Smash 4 to Ultimate will soon be over and that he can finally take a break.

At least, I think he said something to that effect.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh boy, oh boy, Twitter just trended Sora again (though I'm just baffled how so many people are still rooting for such an ambiguous leak to this day).

Guaranteed support for a character that was just leaked with no hard evidence? This is bad comedy.
Sora trends every time a Smash reveal is near, this is nothing new.

The only difference this time is the leak.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Depends tbh.

Tbf they also tried pushing Zoaroak in the same manner as Lucario by introducing it in media way ahead of time. I don't believe it made the same headway tho.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Tbf they also tried pushing Zoaroak in the same manner as Lucario by introducing it in media way ahead of time. I don't believe it made the same headway tho.
Zoroark is still very popular (in the PotY poll that was just posted, it was Top 30 of all Pokemon), it's just not a breakout hit like Lucario (or examples like Greninja) was.

That said, there's trying to not push something too much and not pushing it at all, and Toxtricity finds itself falling into the latter more unfortunately. The only thing I've seen out of it is a TCG set and a promotional art from over a year back, it still hasn't made an appearance in the anime, has only had cameos in the other anime shorts, and it's lacking in merchandise relative to its compatriots.

If we're looking to promotion for potential Smash candidates, Toxtricity wouldn't be anywhere close to the top of the list. Even ignoring Cinderace Pokemon like Corviknight, Zacian/Zamazenta, Dragapult, Urshifu, Inteleon, and Dracovish are seen far more often.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I wonder how this last presentation will be broken down. We know for sure that there will be:

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-series info for the newcomer
-gameplay, stage, and music overview (possibly Spirit Board too)
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date
-a final goodbye and thank you

All of that will be in a 40 minute timeslot. Do we think there could be anything else?

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
I wonder how this last presentation will be broken down. We know for sure that there will be:

-a greeting from Sakurai
-the reveal trailer
-series info for the newcomer
-gameplay, stage, and music overview (possibly Spirit Board too)
-the Mii Costume wave
-the release date
-a final goodbye and thank you

All of that will be in a 40 minute timeslot. Do we think there could be anything else?
A 3rd dlc pass announcement :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom